HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Germany

Deutschland Cup

Old
09-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Katharina

vCash: 500
Deutschland Cup

I was wondering if any of you guys could give me more info about the Deutschland Cup.
How good is that tournament? What kind of players are selected to represent each country? Are the Bratwurst & beer alone worth attending?

Katharina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Salzig
I am laudable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate86NY View Post
I was wondering if any of you guys could give me more info about the Deutschland Cup.
How good is that tournament? What kind of players are selected to represent each country? Are the Bratwurst & beer alone worth attending?
Hey,

well for me the Deutschland Cup is pretty boring. I'm not a fan ot these meaningless tournaments. The players are selected from the European leagues which all have a break during the tournaments. (there are several international tournaments at the same time - at least that's how it has been in the last couple of years, I'm not a hundred percent sure about the other Elite Leagues, but the German league doesn't play during the Deutschland Cup). Munich is definitely worth a visit, but it's up to you if you want to watch the Deutschland Cup. As I said, I'm not a big fan of it, but that's just my opinion.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:47 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzig View Post
well for me the Deutschland Cup is pretty boring. I'm not a fan ot these meaningless tournaments. The players are selected from the European leagues which all have a break during the tournaments. (there are several international tournaments at the same time - at least that's how it has been in the last couple of years, I'm not a hundred percent sure about the other Elite Leagues, but the German league doesn't play during the Deutschland Cup). Munich is definitely worth a visit, but it's up to you if you want to watch the Deutschland Cup. As I said, I'm not a big fan of it, but that's just my opinion.
all leagues in europe take a break, other nations have similar tournaments.

the last time i was at a game in munich, they only had non-alcoholic beer in the arena, so beer wasn't a reason to attend games.

hockey in munich is like attending a funeral, but looking at how the german national team got younger and faster the last year, i think the hockey alone could be worth attending. depends a bit on the roster.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Katharina

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
all leagues in europe take a break, other nations have similar tournaments.

the last time i was at a game in munich, they only had non-alcoholic beer in the arena, so beer wasn't a reason to attend games.

hockey in munich is like attending a funeral, but looking at how the german national team got younger and faster the last year, i think the hockey alone could be worth attending. depends a bit on the roster.
Wow. No hockey fans there/does the Munich team suck that bad?

Yeah, that's what I was wondering...The page I checked for info said something about former NHL players so I'd be curious to see each team's roster, that would really help me decide whether I'm going or not.

Old
09-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Katharina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzig View Post
I'm not a fan ot these meaningless tournaments.
That's another good point. Watching players play like they don't give a **** is not something I'd like to pay for.

Old
09-22-2010, 10:34 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate86NY View Post
Wow. No hockey fans there/does the Munich team suck that bad?
munich has some good fans, but not many. it's no hockey town. it's all about soccer.
the german federation thinks that people from other areas of bavaria will come to watch the games, but i somehow doubt it.

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I was wondering...The page I checked for info said something about former NHL players so I'd be curious to see each team's roster, that would really help me decide whether I'm going or not.
former NHLers...hm...that can have so many different meanings. i'd expect a pretty young german team with some interesting players. gogulla, dietrich, justin krueger with a NA hockey background for example.

switzerland usually brings the best team too, always worth watching IMO.

team canada should be full of former NHLers, but those AHL-callup-minor leaguers with few NHL games who are now in europe. not worth watching usually.

and slovakia should have a decent team too. probable former NHLers could be miro zalesak and ivan majesky

if you can enjoy solid hockey and don't expect NHL-like skill you might like the tournament, but i'd say it depends on travel/ticket prices. i wouldn't spend much.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Katharina

Okay, well thanks a lot!

Old
09-30-2010, 01:26 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
munich has some good fans, but not many. it's no hockey town. it's all about soccer.
the german federation thinks that people from other areas of bavaria will come to watch the games, but i somehow doubt it.

former NHLers...hm...that can have so many different meanings. i'd expect a pretty young german team with some interesting players. gogulla, dietrich, justin krueger with a NA hockey background for example.

switzerland usually brings the best team too, always worth watching IMO.

team canada should be full of former NHLers, but those AHL-callup-minor leaguers with few NHL games who are now in europe. not worth watching usually.

and slovakia should have a decent team too. probable former NHLers could be miro zalesak and ivan majesky

if you can enjoy solid hockey and don't expect NHL-like skill you might like the tournament, but i'd say it depends on travel/ticket prices. i wouldn't spend much.
With players like Demitra, Svatoš or possibly Šatan or Zedník playing in Europe this season , I really don´t see those two players making team Slovakia. Though I think it is unlikely that they will play at Deutschland Cup and if I got Glen Hanlon´s intentions he will probably play young players at DC (and the other tourneys like Arosa Cup etc,) from KHL or the Czech/Slovak leagues. Undepending what teams he selects though I think my prediction is right that they will bore the attendance to death with their game like team Slovakia always does during this tournaments of friendly games.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote