HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Suitors for US TV contracts

Closed Thread

Old
08-16-2010, 02:07 PM
1992LuckyTown

vCash: 500
A quick question when dose the versus TV-deal end?

Old
08-16-2010, 02:45 PM
GoHabsGo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992LuckyTown View Post
A quick question when dose the versus TV-deal end?
At the end of this upcoming NHL season, I believe.

Old
08-16-2010, 03:06 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo57 View Post
At the end of this upcoming NHL season, I believe.
Correct - both the Versus and NBC broadcast deals expire after this season ('10-'11).

The NHL & Versus signed a three year extension of their original post-lockout deal in 2007 - covering '08-'09, '09-'10, and '10-'11.

Last year the NHL and NBC signed a two year extenstion thru '10-'11.

The NHL intentionally extended the deals so they expired simultaneously - allowing them to negotiate a bundled deal for both the national network broadcast and cable rights.

Old
08-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

With a presumed NFL and NBA lockout soon, and with the NHL needing new TV suitors next summer, I think ESPN is a good choice for both parties. Without the NFL and NBA to show, there live coverage would be pretty bleak with only the MLB to show as a major sport. (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL). If ESPN were to gain NHL games to show, that would soften the wound for them a little. They couldn't afford to keep NHL on ESPN2 and everything if the NFL and NBA go to a lockout. Keep the NHL on ESPN2 while ESPN would be showing World Series of Poker? Yea, I don't think so.

NHL is really at its highest peak in a long time in terms of popularity because of the Olympics, Winter Classic, the past two great Finals matchups..ESPN would be foolish not to take back the NHL as a legit programming to show, especially given the NFL and NBA situations. I'm all for it, but only if the NHL gets the good end of a stick. Plus, it brings back Gary Thorne.

Versus has really taken off because of the NHL imo. They did a really good job showing as much of the playoffs as possible this past postseason and it was awesome seeing all these games. Something I can't see ESPN doing, which wouldn't be good for the league, which is still trying to garner exposure.

Old
08-16-2010, 04:32 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombayn View Post
I wonder if the NHL would try to bring in a station like Spike TV for NHL games too. To me that would be an ideal match since Versus & Spike now share UFC right now.

NBC: Game of the Week, Winter Classic, Stanley Cup Finals
Versus: Keep their package.
Spike TV: Wednesday Night Exclusive Double-Header

Now that would be ideal wouldn't it? Comcast & Viacom working together would be something different.
IIRC, TNA iMPACT airs at wednesday. That or thursday. TNA Xplosion airs wednesdays anyway, and that's a nice cash cow as it is.

EDIT: iMPACT is thursday, nevermind.

Old
08-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Spydey629

IMO, the best bet is to go with a lot of what was presented in the blog: Add one more cable partner, possibly expand Versus coverage, and push the NHL Network a little further.

My ideal world would look like this:

SUN: NBC Game of the Week and ESPN Sunday Night Hockey (or ESPN2)
MON: Versus (exclusive game)
TUE: Versus double-header
WED: NHL Network double-header (simulcast of the NHL on TSN??)
THU: ESPN or ESPN2 'National Hockey Night'
FRI: --- (NCAA Hockey on NHL Network)
SAT: NHL Network = Hockey Night in Canada

Hockey pretty much every night of the week. Center Ice would still be there for the true die-hards (and for those willing to pay for it).

*NBC would get the Winter Classic and all seven games of the Cup Final.

*Versus gets the Heritage Classic, All-Star Skills Competition, and as many playoff games as they can air, up thru the Conference Finals

*ESPN does the Sundays as the schedule allows, the Thursday is a 'lock', with the All-Star Game and as many playoff games as they can show in the first two rounds (and with the NBA Playoffs and MLB season, that won't be much)

*NHL Network shows any/every playoff game they can in the States that isn't on Versus and/or ESPN.

I am basically combining what I thought were the best ideas listed in the story. The above maximizes exposure, hopefully brings in some good cash flow, and is a little bit of the best of both worlds: Dancing with the one that brung ya (Versus) and getting the hype/exposure that comes with being a sport televised by the four-letter network.

Old
08-16-2010, 04:57 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydey629 View Post
IMO, the best bet is to go with a lot of what was presented in the blog: Add one more cable partner, possibly expand Versus coverage, and push the NHL Network a little further.

My ideal world would look like this:

SUN: NBC Game of the Week and ESPN Sunday Night Hockey (or ESPN2)
MON: Versus (exclusive game)
TUE: Versus double-header
WED: NHL Network double-header (simulcast of the NHL on TSN??)
THU: ESPN or ESPN2 'National Hockey Night'
FRI: --- (NCAA Hockey on NHL Network)
SAT: NHL Network = Hockey Night in Canada

Hockey pretty much every night of the week. Center Ice would still be there for the true die-hards (and for those willing to pay for it).

*NBC would get the Winter Classic and all seven games of the Cup Final.

*Versus gets the Heritage Classic, All-Star Skills Competition, and as many playoff games as they can air, up thru the Conference Finals

*ESPN does the Sundays as the schedule allows, the Thursday is a 'lock', with the All-Star Game and as many playoff games as they can show in the first two rounds (and with the NBA Playoffs and MLB season, that won't be much)

*NHL Network shows any/every playoff game they can in the States that isn't on Versus and/or ESPN.

I am basically combining what I thought were the best ideas listed in the story. The above maximizes exposure, hopefully brings in some good cash flow, and is a little bit of the best of both worlds: Dancing with the one that brung ya (Versus) and getting the hype/exposure that comes with being a sport televised by the four-letter network.
Do they want that much competition with local games?

Old
08-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Spydey629

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Do they want that much competition with local games?
I don't think it's all that different from what the major sports do, and I honestly don't know all the legalities of how local blackouts work.

I am just setting forth what I think the National TV landscape should like in the next deal.

Old
08-17-2010, 12:17 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Or pay for a higher programming tier.
In So Cal, the price for VS has come waaaay down.

We have Time Warner cable - and we are about to start looking to switch providers shortly, I assume Direct TV or other providers have similar prices...? We'll find out.

Old
08-17-2010, 01:11 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
In So Cal, the price for VS has come waaaay down.

We have Time Warner cable - and we are about to start looking to switch providers shortly, I assume Direct TV or other providers have similar prices...? We'll find out.
With DirecTV you basically pay an extra $5/mo for Versus. It's part of the Choice Xtra tier, not the base Choice package - $34.99/mo vs $29.99/mo (intro rate) and $63.99/mo vs $58.99/mo (normal rate).

That extra $5/mo with Choice Xtra also gets you the NHL Network.

With Choice Xtra you get: BET Jazz, Biography Channel, Boomerang, Chiller, DiY Network, ESPN Classic, FOX Business Network, FOX Movie Network, Reality, Fuel TV, G4, Golf Channel, Great American Country, History International, Investigation Discovery, Logo, Military Channel, Nat'l Geographic Channel, NHL Network, Nick Toons, Ovation, Oxygen, PBS Kids Sprout, Planet Green, Science Channel, Sleuth, Speed, Style, Tennis Channel, Sportsman Channel, Versus, VH1 Classic, WGN America, and 15 extra music channels.

Old
08-17-2010, 01:42 AM
Jeffrey93

Does anyone have any idea who wants the NHL product? And/or how much they are willing to pay?? ARE they willing to pay?

This whole thing is rather moot if nobody is interested. I didn't read the 'Puck the Media' stuff....figured I saved myself a pile of time really.

You can setup whatever 'fantasty' lineups you want and tv deals you want...bottom line is whatever network is willing to pay the most (or work some sort of deal with the NHL to share profits or whatever) is who the NHL gets in bed with and who they work around.

Anyway...I'll have to read the stuff from that site the OP posted I guess....figured one of the posts in the thread would have referenced it if they made a clear point that these networks are actually interested in paying the NHL.

Old
08-17-2010, 04:44 PM
rye&ginger

Jeffrey93, NBC/Comcast/Versus and ABC/ESPN are interested. Maybe even some one else like Turner Sports. NHL will get a good deal it seems.

Try to read the articles in question next time.

Old
08-17-2010, 05:08 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
ESPN has made it known that they are not only interested, but desperate to get the NHL back on it's family of networks in some capacity. They want to have everything, and currently hockey is the only thing they don't have at least a small piece of.

Old
08-18-2010, 02:25 AM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
Jeffrey93, NBC/Comcast/Versus and ABC/ESPN are interested. Maybe even some one else like Turner Sports. NHL will get a good deal it seems.

Try to read the articles in question next time.
How interested?

And thanks for telling me to do something I pointed out several times I did not do yet but plan on doing.

How interested? How much money are we talking about? What is a "good deal"?? Try to read the questions posed before responding next time.

Old
08-18-2010, 02:30 AM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
ESPN has made it known that they are not only interested, but desperate to get the NHL back on it's family of networks in some capacity. They want to have everything, and currently hockey is the only thing they don't have at least a small piece of.
I think ESPN...even if it is a less desirable deal for the NHL would be best. It comes with recognition...with additional highlights on a channel people turn to for their sports recaps.

It will give the NHL some "street cred".....which will help in the long term. Although again...whatever deal they get...however great it is for the league.....they won't keep it if these networks are showing games with 9,000 people in the stands.

The NHL might be able to "ride the wave" of a great playoffs and Olympic appearance....but if games continue to be played in front of paltry crowds...it will be short-lived. Any network would much rather throw money at a product that sells out (or nearly sells out) every night. If the networks choose to stay away from the markets that draw weak crowds because it looks bad on tv (which it does)....it will perpetuate the problem and drive those teams/markets further down....well...maybe that is what is needed.....

Old
08-18-2010, 02:39 AM
Trizent

ESPN is going to rebrand their ESPN CLASSIC channel in the near future and they would like to put NHL hockey on there. ESPN Classic is in less homes than Versus. It is fine as long as some games are guaranteed to be on ESPN (ya right) or ESPN2.

Old
08-18-2010, 10:03 AM
Spydey629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizent View Post
ESPN is going to rebrand their ESPN CLASSIC channel in the near future and they would like to put NHL hockey on there. ESPN Classic is in less homes than Versus. It is fine as long as some games are guaranteed to be on ESPN (ya right) or ESPN2.
Link? (On the Classic re-branding).

Old
08-18-2010, 12:42 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey93 View Post
How interested?

And thanks for telling me to do something I pointed out several times I did not do yet but plan on doing.

How interested? How much money are we talking about? What is a "good deal"?? Try to read the questions posed before responding next time.
You are asking 'questions' before getting up to speed. C'mon now.

These are questions that no one but the actual parties can answer. If you are trying to stimulate speculation discussion, that is just guessing. We cant really put a value on any deals as there are so many variables such as length of deal, how many regular season games and playoff depth the deal secures, will the NHL sign more than one deal/be non-exclusive.

ESPN may give the NHL street cred, but ESPN's brand is losing value, IMO. This is why NBC/Comcast/Vs. thinks it can establish itself as a credible sports channel. It makes a lot of sense to to the network that also broadcasts the Winter Olympics to have the NHL.

I dont trust ESPN to give the NHL any sort of prime time coverage. I would not want an exclusive deal going to them. Even if they pay more, they may change their programing decisions. Its better to be the bigger fish....

Old
08-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Trizent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydey629 View Post
Link? (On the Classic re-branding).
http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2010...-and-espn.html

Old
08-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Spydey629

Quote:
Thanks.

I couldn't tell you the last time I watched ESPN Classic. It might have been when they had the "Best of Three Rivers Stadium" day, when it was imploded -- 10 years ago.

I agree with one of the posters on the article itself. I would rather watch ESPN News to get the scores and hi-lites any time, than turn on SportsCenter.

Old
08-21-2010, 01:30 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey93 View Post
It will give the NHL some "street cred".....which will help in the long term. Although again...whatever deal they get...however great it is for the league.....they won't keep it if these networks are showing games with 9,000 people in the stands.

The NHL might be able to "ride the wave" of a great playoffs and Olympic appearance....but if games continue to be played in front of paltry crowds...it will be short-lived. Any network would much rather throw money at a product that sells out (or nearly sells out) every night. If the networks choose to stay away from the markets that draw weak crowds because it looks bad on tv (which it does)....it will perpetuate the problem and drive those teams/markets further down....well...maybe that is what is needed.....

Umm...pretty sure ESPN shows the NBA, and lots of it. And their attendance is no better than hockey's.

Old
10-18-2010, 02:31 PM
TMC1982

Quote:
I'm willing to bet that this proposed "ESPN for Women" channel is going to replace ESPN Classic (which has admittedly, gone into serious "Network Decay" for quite some time):
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/16/sports/16espnw.html

Old
10-20-2010, 12:22 PM
bosshogg18

I hate the NHL on Versus. The problem is Versus is not available to most viewers, unless you pay a premium. I have Dish Network (Comcast not available), and unless you buy the $64.99/mo. America's Top 250 package, you don't receive Versus.
If you have Comcast, it is readily available, even at the lower tier of programming, since Versus is owned by Comcast.
The NHL needs to get on a network that has more availability to people of cable/dish companies such as ESPN or TBS/TNT, and some on the major networks. The thing with the aforementioned channels is they are available to most, even with the $24.99/mo. package.
To ask someone to up their package to $64.99/mo is ridiculous, and I LOVE hockey. If they want to keep it on Versus, they need to put Versus on a lower tier of programming for other providers not named Comcast.

Old
10-20-2010, 01:10 PM
frivolousz21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshogg18 View Post
I hate the NHL on Versus. The problem is Versus is not available to most viewers, unless you pay a premium. I have Dish Network (Comcast not available), and unless you buy the $64.99/mo. America's Top 250 package, you don't receive Versus.
If you have Comcast, it is readily available, even at the lower tier of programming, since Versus is owned by Comcast.
The NHL needs to get on a network that has more availability to people of cable/dish companies such as ESPN or TBS/TNT, and some on the major networks. The thing with the aforementioned channels is they are available to most, even with the $24.99/mo. package.
To ask someone to up their package to $64.99/mo is ridiculous, and I LOVE hockey. If they want to keep it on Versus, they need to put Versus on a lower tier of programming for other providers not named Comcast.

This will change once Comcast buys NBCU...they will get versus everywhere with better deals.

trust me..on this.

going back to ESPN would be a disaster.

This isn't 1990..it's just not needed.

If the NHL wants to expand...how about putting hockey ads on skating with the starts coming to abc soon?

the NHL is still a joke at marketing.

Old
10-21-2010, 05:02 AM
TMC1982

The NHL on The CW Network (Imagine That)

http://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/20...he-cw-network/

Quote:
The CW contains a small, cult audience of shows with younger viewers that the league desperately wants to get it’s advertising hands on. The CW needs to boost it’s profile among the major networks (if you can call it one) and also, conveniently, does not broadcast on Saturday nights.

Think about it… and… there it is! You know what I’m thinking, it’s that The CW and the NHL partner up for Hockey Night in America. Seven hours of hockey airing live every Saturday night on The CW. With little competition from the other networks, and the correct promotional campaign (The CW has ties to CBS and it’s stable of networks) who’s to say the NHL can’t carve out a niche for itself on Saturdays. Here’s how you do it:
<more>
The biggest flaws in this plan are number one, it's highly doubtable that The CW would have enough money to play the NHL (unless they would go for a "no rights fee" scenario just like NBC does currently). Number two, The CW foolishly (thanks to the leadership of Dawn Ostroff) and stubbornly wants to target strictly, young women. They had a highly rated show in WWE SmackDown was was booted off the network because Dawn Ostroff felt that it was "too manly" for her brand. So why would having a decidedly macho sports like hockey make much sense on that network with her in charge.

Last edited by Fugu: 10-21-2010 at 07:33 AM. Reason: copyright
Closed Thread