HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

What does Chris Pronger have to do to become a top ten defenseman of all-time?

Old
08-31-2010, 09:36 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Look at the qualifiers and conditionals -"when he was healthy", you use to describe Pronger's injuries and the results that followed.

Does not translate into tough to play against, just means be prepared for the cheap and dirty stuff. Byfuglien role was simply to engage Pronger whenever possible, lead by example, keep the pressure on every shift, every game, wear him down. Any scoring was a bonus. The rest of the Hawk forwards then followed suit and went to the front of the net from all angles.

Usual flawed assumption. No one in the NHL is "easy" to play against - whatever that means. Fact is that to succeed you have to play against every opponent not choose spots. Simply when playing against Pronger or a similar defenseman you still have to challenge for the front of the net instead of accepting the safety of the perimeter.
But even a guy like Byfuglien didn't take over the front of the net with Pronger there. He did against Vancouver, boy did he ever. He did against San Jose and no one could control him. Pronger did however control him and held him at bay fairly well. Pronger plays on the edge all the time. We commend that type of play around here and why not? Clarke did it, Howe did it, Ovechkin does it today. All are guys that would keep an opposing coach up at night figuring out how to work around them. Pronger fits that bill. Even today the guy is difficult to play against and I don't think that even his Norris voting or all-star nods explain the whole story about him.

Hey I can't stand Pronger anymore than I could Roy when he was playing but I know a guy that can beat your team when I see one

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 10:03 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Something that came to mind with this injury talk: to what extent should the type and circumstances of a player's injuries determine how much benefit of doubt/"what if?" (if any) is afforded to them?

To be more clear, a player whose career was ruined by a dirty hit or by severe joint/back injuries seems to get more leeway than one whose style of play is generally regarded to have contributed to their injuries. Lindros and his concussions induced from his poor, head-first skating style is the obvious example of the latter, but I think Pronger fits too - some of his injuries have been purely due to his own recklessness and stupidity. One that immediately comes to mind is when he tried to throw a dirty knee-on-knee hit on Yzerman and blew out his own knee instead.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 10:08 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Something that came to mind with this injury talk: to what extent should the type and circumstances of a player's injuries determine how much benefit of doubt/"what if?" (if any) is afforded to them?

To be more clear, a player whose career was ruined by a dirty hit or by severe joint/back injuries seems to get more leeway than one whose style of play is generally regarded to have contributed to their injuries. Lindros and his concussions induced from his poor, head-first skating style is the obvious example of the latter, but I think Pronger fits too - some of his injuries have been purely due to his own recklessness and stupidity. One that immediately comes to mind is when he tried to throw a dirty knee-on-knee hit on Yzerman and blew out his own knee instead.
I try to paint all injuries with the same brush. Obviously public perception plays a part as well based on the stupidity of the injury. There is a little bit of "what if" with Pronger too but I am not the type that likes to reward a guy or give him extra points based on what we assume he could have done. I like to at what they did on the ice

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 03:07 PM
fcpremix88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
My bad, I always want to think it was the last game of the 3rd round.
You're right though, he was taken out with 6 minutes left in a tie game, a few minutes later, Brindy scores on Markkanen and the Oil are down 1-0.
Not to pick on you, but Conklin definitely was the one that ended the first game.

As for Pronger, he was easily the best Oiler in 2006.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote