HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Anyone else think the Canada vs. USA Stanley Cup media spin is stupid?

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2004, 09:04 PM
Shane

vCash: 500
Bottom line, screw Calgary. They're not my Canadian team, and I'd rather castrate myself with a rusty knife than support them. If I want to cheer for Canadians, I'll cheer for the Lightning, who have more Canadian players on their team.

Old
05-30-2004, 12:12 AM
edmontonoilers89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Bottom line, screw Calgary. They're not my Canadian team, and I'd rather castrate myself with a rusty knife than support them. If I want to cheer for Canadians, I'll cheer for the Lightning, who have more Canadian players on their team.
A toast to that...

I cheer for players, not cities...my own is an exception.

Old
05-30-2004, 12:16 AM
Snakeeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon
Yes, so? And then Lord Stanley packed his bags and left for his home England within a year after the donation, never to actually see a championship game or see his cup presented to such champion. Incidentally, Alberta was not even a part of Canada until 1905 - 13 years after the donation. Did Lord Stanley envisage that Alberta would become a part of the Dominion and thus eligible for the Dominion Hockey Challenge Cup, as it was known then?
As a point of reference, Alberta was not a province when the Cup was presented. It was a part of the Northwest Territories, which was a part of Canada.

Old
05-30-2004, 03:53 AM
rbrooks

Send a message via ICQ to rbrooks Send a message via AIM to rbrooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMP5030
Given Thorne's known and continued difficulties with team rosters, I don't think we can count on Gary to keep the countries straight for the entire series...
Just wait for the World cup...

Old
05-30-2004, 05:39 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Go Calgary! I don't care if some sick individual does the "rusty knife thing" if Calgary wins. I'm going for Calgary!

Old
05-30-2004, 08:38 AM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Isn't it kinda funny that the one person to be pushing this idea more than anyone else is Martin?

Old
05-30-2004, 10:02 AM
gnardini1998

Send a message via AIM to gnardini1998
If it's US vs Canada, does that mean that Conroy doesn't get the Cup, even if Calgary wins.

Old
05-30-2004, 11:23 AM
Arastiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnardini1998
If it's US vs Canada, does that mean that Conroy doesn't get the Cup, even if Calgary wins.
Yep. Poor guy...

Old
05-30-2004, 01:32 PM
Molson Canadian

I think the whole canada vs us thing is stupid also. it's a good series between the 2 best teams.

I'm cheering for the flames but as an oilers fan I'd never go out a buy flames merchandise whatever oilers fans are doing that are traitors imo

Old
05-30-2004, 02:00 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnardini1998

clark and leopold are out of luck, too :lol

Old
05-30-2004, 02:01 PM
ceber

Is it pushed heavily in the Canadian media? It seems ESPN/ABC is only grudgingly mentioning that the cities happen to be in two different countries. The only nationalistic spin I can remember is comments about "All of Canada" backing the Flames now, etc.

Old
05-31-2004, 03:33 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
Is it pushed heavily in the Canadian media? It seems ESPN/ABC is only grudgingly mentioning that the cities happen to be in two different countries. The only nationalistic spin I can remember is comments about "All of Canada" backing the Flames now, etc.
I'm not sure how heavily it's being pushed in the Canadian media but from the way it sounds, pretty freakin heavy! Add Canada's favorite pasttime along with some good 'ol anti-American sentiment and you've got yourself a bonfire of Calgary support. I have to agree about ESPN/ABC not sounding too enthused when they mention the two countries. It sounds like they are reading a card for a commercial. They read the spiel real quick and then you hear no more. Which I'm glad because I don't want to hear any of that crap! My guess is it's not working in the states because hockey is not near as popular here and in general most Americans don't have any problems with Canada. I wish I could say the latter was the same the other way around.

Oh well, since I started this thread it seems like most people on HF regardless of nationality agree it;s stupid so that makes me happy!

Old
05-31-2004, 03:44 PM
Snakeeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
"Canada vs USA" is not being pushed at all.

The Flames being "Canada's Team" is being heavily pushed, however.

Old
05-31-2004, 03:51 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
I dont think its stupid at all. Canadian team vs American team. It just makes it that much more exciting, plus i love rubbing it into the us peoples faces!

I know i know, both teams are full of Canadian and American players, but so what, they still to me represent their countries, because their majority of fans are from the Country they reside in. So.......

Go flames Go or should i say Go Canada Go.

Closed Thread