HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto Raptors to play Pre-Season game in Montreal against New York Knicks - Oct 22

Old
10-23-2010, 03:10 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3nZ View Post
One of the things that would be hard to figure out is the bookings of the Bell Centre if Montreal would get a team, it's already one with the highest number of annual events per year. (Habs, shows, galas,...). Having the NBA play their games at the same time as the NHL would bring a huge headache to the people of the Bell Centre.
Not really; they do it in Toronto

As I said in ky previous post, the Bell Center would be a temporary arena for the Montreal Ballers (?), for maybe 2-3 years, as it doesnt meet the requirements for an NBA arena

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 03:20 PM
schumway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post

As I said in ky previous post, the Bell Center would be a temporary arena for the Montreal Ballers (?), for maybe 2-3 years, as it doesnt meet the requirements for an NBA arena
Why doesn't it meet the requirements? What is it missing?

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 03:25 PM
La Grosse Tendresse

Quote:

What requirements? You keep saying this as if there is an official NBA arena requirement document somewhere which says "Thou cannot play in a facility that was not originally built exclusively for basketball". Plenty of teams share their arena (TD Garden in Boston, ACC in Toronto, MSG in New York, Verizon Center in Washington, Staples Center in LA, Wells Fargo Center in Philly, Philips Arena in Atlanta, United Center in Chicago, American Airlines Center in Dallas, Pepsi Center in Denver...). I really doubt that they would go "oh no, even if it would be much more profitable, we can't put a team there, their new building doesn't have retractable seating that can stretch closer to the court. It can be a temporary solution for 2-3 years but they'll have to build a $400 million arena just to put in retractable seating for the first 6 rows at the ends"... That doesn't make any sense. Worst case, they make some minor modifications to the Bell Centre, but even then I doubt the NBA would impose it on the team.

Plus, even though the Bell Centre is used alot, you can be sure that they would rather host 41 NBA contests than corporate conferences. If it's more profitable to have the NBA, they'll just bump the less popular events currently being held.

Having said that, I really doubt that the NBA would ever move a team to Montreal. I can't see it being popular enough when the team looses its novelty and sucks. Players will flea Montreal exactly like they left Vancouver and Toronto. And nobody will come see a team of losers in Montreal. Heck, 10 years ago the Habs were averaging 17,000 people and there were tons of empty seats at the Bell Centre. And that's for a team in a much popular sport with a much longer history. A Montreal NBA franchise would be exactly like a Souther-belt NHL franchise: After repetitive years of bottom-dwelling, they will attract less than 10,000 people.

La Grosse Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 03:29 PM
CanadienErrant*

I would prefer a NFL team over a NBA team, anytime.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 03:32 PM
schumway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
I would prefer a NFL team over a NBA team, anytime.
I'd prefer Heidi Klum to that girl I went out with last week but beggers can't be choosers.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grosse Tendresse View Post
What requirements? You keep saying this as if there is an official NBA arena requirement document somewhere which says "Thou cannot play in a facility that was not originally built exclusively for basketball". Plenty of teams share their arena (TD Garden in Boston, ACC in Toronto, MSG in New York, Verizon Center in Washington, Staples Center in LA, Wells Fargo Center in Philly, Philips Arena in Atlanta, United Center in Chicago, American Airlines Center in Dallas, Pepsi Center in Denver...). I really doubt that they would go "oh no, even if it would be much more profitable, we can't put a team there, their new building doesn't have retractable seating that can stretch closer to the court. It can be a temporary solution for 2-3 years but they'll have to build a $400 million arena just to put in retractable seating for the first 6 rows at the ends"... That doesn't make any sense. Worst case, they make some minor modifications to the Bell Centre, but even then I doubt the NBA would impose it on the team.

Plus, even though the Bell Centre is used alot, you can be sure that they would rather host 41 NBA contests than corporate conferences. If it's more profitable to have the NBA, they'll just bump the less popular events currently being held.

Having said that, I really doubt that the NBA would ever move a team to Montreal. I can't see it being popular enough when the team looses its novelty and sucks. Players will flea Montreal exactly like they left Vancouver and Toronto. And nobody will come see a team of losers in Montreal. Heck, 10 years ago the Habs were averaging 17,000 people and there were tons of empty seats at the Bell Centre. And that's for a team in a much popular sport with a much longer history. A Montreal NBA franchise would be exactly like a Souther-belt NHL franchise: After repetitive years of bottom-dwelling, they will attract less than 10,000 people.
It depends. The Raptors are doing extremely well right now, and we're years removed from the Vince Carter days. One big reason is the fact MLSE has managed to work the Raptors into the Maple Leafs' popularity.

I could see it working out just as well in Montreal. The Canadiens are extremely popular, so work something out so that the NBA team gets to feed off of the Habs' popularity. That said, the Molson's would probably need to own the team for that work.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 03:37 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:

Believe it or not, Seating is a very important criteria for the NBA; courtside seats were completely separted from the regular ones
In NBA ready arenas, including the ACC, they are together.

That means that people seating in the regular seats are not as close to the action, compared to an NBA ready stadium
The NBA understands that happy fans = more $$$ for them

The NBA is extremely picky about that kind of details.

Plus, hockey and basketball teams must have separate locker rooms.

Remember the Old Chicago Stadium? it was built for the Blackhawks, and when the Bulls were born, they shared the stadium with the Hawks

For many years, Larry O'Brien (David Stern's predecessor) urged Chicago to build a separate arena for the Bulls, because the courtside seats were separated from the regular ones

Old
10-23-2010, 04:17 PM
TorontoSports

The bell centre is not Chicago stadium. It's ready to go.. Retractable seating isn't a big deal, and making an extra locker room is not impossible (it's been done many times).

I still think that even if this team loses a lot than more fans will show up to the Bell Centre than many other arenas in current NBA markets. Players wouldn't have left Toronto is the team was good. Vince carter signed an extension saying he felt comfortable in Toronto. When the team was headed nowhere he wanted out.. the same thing happens with many other pro teams. It's not every day you get a player that thinks about the franchise as apart of himself.

Same with Bosh, he was here for 7 years but he left to play with wade. If Lebron James could leave Ohio (where he was born) to win anyone can leave any market.

Success comes with winning and having a good plan. It's not like the Heat have real fans, when the team sucks they stay away (two years removed from a championship and the arena was empty). What they had was Dwayne Wade and more capspace than any other team.

TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 04:48 PM
D3nZ

Quote:

Cause either team makes the playoffs, they never have the trouble Montreal does. But honestly, O have not seen a recent version, but in 2006 Montreal was 4th in the world as the most occupied arena. Toronto was 11th. Montreal was only behind San Jose, the MSG in New York and the arena in Manchester England. In order for an artist to come to Montreal they can only have one conflict, the Habs games. In Toronto they have to look at both teams and having twice as much games and can lead to bigger conflicts for out of area music groups.

D3nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
It depends. The Raptors are doing extremely well right now, and we're years removed from the Vince Carter days. One big reason is the fact MLSE has managed to work the Raptors into the Maple Leafs' popularity.

I could see it working out just as well in Montreal. The Canadiens are extremely popular, so work something out so that the NBA team gets to feed off of the Habs' popularity. That said, the Molson's would probably need to own the team for that work.
Toronto has supported that team well, but if they cannot hold on to their franchise players during free agency, interest will eventually suffer. Right now, they dont have a franchise player so you could see a decline in interest as soon as this season.

American basketball players generally would rather play in their own country. It doesn't seem like a big problem for american hockey players or baseball players, but NBA players are a different breed.

NBA players think of Vancouver as an outpost of siberia. Mike Bibby, Steve Francis, Lynch, Doug West, Othella Harrington are just a few players who hated playing in Vancouver and weren't afraid to speak about it.

You add the extra dimensions involved in montreal such as politics and language, and you can see how it could become a major challenge to attract star players.

The one advantage that toronto and montreal have over vancouver is that the major american cities are basically in the north eastern part of the continent, but that hasn't helped the raptors a whole lot so far.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Woland

One sold out game does not mean the city is ready to have a Basketball team......now ''simma down now''

Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Toronto would not be the reason for the NBA ignoring Montreal, Vancouver would. NBA players are not going to play in cities they can't find on the map. Add the French thing on top of that and attracting players would be close to impossible. I mean the Raptors already struggle to bring in non-European free agents which is why they always suck and why even their franchise players who are willing to stay in Canada bolt. The theme in the NBA lately has been how hard it is for teams in Cleveland, Sacramento, Minnesota, Milwaukee and co. to attract talent. Imagine how one in a relatively small Canadian city where the majority of the population and the media speak French as a first language would get along.

The Raptors are a success because MLSE forces Leafs season ticket holders to buy into the Raptors. I can't imagine Montreal fans would be too into that.

Last edited by Brodie: 10-23-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Woland

Quote:
Toronto would not be the reason for the NBA ignoring Montreal, Vancouver would. NBA players are not going to play in cities they can't find on the map. Add the French thing on top of that and attracting players would be close to impossible. I mean the Raptors already struggle to bring in non-European free agents which is why they always suck and why even their franchise players who are willing to stay in Canada bolt. The theme in the NBA lately has been how hard it is for teams in Cleveland, Sacramento, Minnesota, Milwaukee and co. to attract talent. Imagine how one in a relatively small Canadian city where the majority of the population and the media speak French as a first language would get along.
exactly ...Now, you all should draw your attention to the Montreal Impact . A team with more francophones than the Habs or Als

Old
10-23-2010, 09:38 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
exactly ...Now, you all should draw your attention to the Montreal Impact . A team with more francophones than the Habs or Als
The Als have more francophones btw.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Woland

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL View Post
The Als have more francophones btw.
prorated, the % of players who speak French is far greater for the Impact

Old
10-23-2010, 09:44 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
prorated, the % of players who speak French is far greater for the Impact
that's more like it .

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 10:03 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post

The Raptors are a success because MLSE forces Leafs season ticket holders to buy into the Raptors. I can't imagine Montreal fans would be too into that.
How the hell is Montreal small? It's bigger than at least a third of the NBA cities.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 02:10 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
How the hell is Montreal small? It's bigger than at least a third of the NBA cities.
Montreal would be in the bottom half of the NBA in metro area population... New York (2 teams), LA (2 teams), Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Washington, Atlanta, Boston, Miami, Detroit, Phoenix, Philadelphia and the Bay Area all have at least 300,000+ more people than the Montreal metro area.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 02:25 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I find that people are very insecure sometimes, comes with losing an MLB team, that team was lost due to politics, lets forget about it for now. Remember that the MLB was here for 36 years!

Vancouver is a done that been there to the NBA, they won't try again soon, they lost their team after a handful of years.

Montreal is not close but on radar, sell out the Exhibition game next year again, and keep selling it out. Never know... for sure!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 02:28 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Montreal would be in the bottom half of the NBA in metro area population... New York (2 teams), LA (2 teams), Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Washington, Atlanta, Boston, Miami, Detroit, Phoenix, Philadelphia and the Bay Area all have at least 300,000+ more people than the Montreal metro area.
Montreal plus Metro is 3.5 MIL add Upstate NY & Ottawa Region, close to 5.5 -6 Mil.

Old
10-24-2010, 02:43 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Hab View Post
I find that people are very insecure sometimes, comes with losing an MLB team, that team was lost due to politics, lets forget about it for now. Remember that the MLB was here for 36 years!

Vancouver is a done that been there to the NBA, they won't try again soon, they lost their team after a handful of years.

Montreal is not close but on radar, sell out the Exhibition game next year again, and keep selling it out. Never know... for sure!
David Stern has gone on record to say that losing Vancouver was one of his biggest regrets.

When the grizzlies left, the dollar was @ 65 cents, and the team was ridiculously mismanaged, and had quite possibly the worst General Manager of all time in Stu Jackson.

Through all this, the grizzlies still had good attendance numbers throughout the years relative to the rest of the league. All this support for a franchise that never got 25 wins in a season.

The Aquilini's (who own the canucks) have been rumored for quite some time to be interested in getting an nna franchise too.

If the nba wants to come back to Canada, Vancouver is most definitely 1st in line.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 03:04 AM
Player 61
#Winning

[QUOTE=If the nba wants to come back to Canada, Vancouver is most definitely 1st in line.[/QUOTE]

It's a whole different world, Montreal is just a natural derby for Toronto, Boston, NYC...etc.

Believe me I love Vancouver!

Old
10-24-2010, 01:42 PM
MoonlightGraham

I honestly can't see this happen. Basketball just isn't a part of most people's culture around here. They barely show NBA highlights on RIS. An NBA team in Montreal would be like a sunbelt hockey team. Sure there are a few hardcore fans, and with the novelty factor you can sell out the odd preseason game like they did last week, but that doesn't mean you could do it year after year for 41 games. And obviously they'd struggle even more than the Raptors to attract free agents and keep their star players because the language barrier that would be added to the fact that the team is in another country.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 01:56 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:

The Raptors started out playing in Skydome. If they can play there, they can play anywhere

I have no idea what the poster means by the Bell Centre does not meet requirements.

PS: Skydome (aka Rogers Centre) is the worst place I ever saw a game

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 03:43 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
I honestly can't see this happen. Basketball just isn't a part of most people's culture around here. They barely show NBA highlights on RIS. An NBA team in Montreal would be like a sunbelt hockey team. Sure there are a few hardcore fans, and with the novelty factor you can sell out the odd preseason game like they did last week, but that doesn't mean you could do it year after year for 41 games. And obviously they'd struggle even more than the Raptors to attract free agents and keep their star players because the language barrier that would be added to the fact that the team is in another country.
RDS-RIS is not a reference