HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Cheap hits

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2004, 12:21 PM
kherninko

vCash: 500
Cheap hits

How long until TB players that leave their feet while boarding other teams players (see Pitkanen, Nilsson) get suspended?

In general this is a problem with the league. There are four stinkin' officials on the ice getting in the way of play and no one sees any of this boarding?

If a guy came away bloodied with a broken nose, etc they'd throw start throwing the B word (Bertuzzi) around.

GO FLAMES!

Old
05-28-2004, 12:30 PM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by kherninko
How long until TB players that leave their feet while boarding other teams players (see Pitkanen, Nilsson) get suspended?

In general this is a problem with the league. There are four stinkin' officials on the ice getting in the way of play and no one sees any of this boarding?

If a guy came away bloodied with a broken nose, etc they'd throw start throwing the B word (Bertuzzi) around.

GO FLAMES!
I agree with you but you are going to get flamed, no pun intended.

Let's hear it everyone.

"Calgary is the dirtiest team in the NHL"
"They can't lose without gooning it up"

Old
05-28-2004, 02:25 PM
chriss_co

i don't know if this is true on all the cheap hits and leaving their feet but isn't it cuz the player throwing the hit is usually a small guy?

eg.. the stillman headshot on nilson.. all because stillman is shorter than nilson...

i also thought the regehr penalty against st.louis in the 3rd was stupid... the guy is so small... what is regehr suppose to do? crouch down so that his hands are around his shoulders and not his face?? and its not like he threw him down hard!! the guy weighs like nothing compared to regehr.. what's he supposed to do?? st. louis is driving to the net... let him go!? crazy refs

Old
05-28-2004, 02:39 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
I liked the cross check Simon did on a wide open Boyle when they were losing 4-1. I also liked how Gelinas broke his stick cross checking Modin at the end of the game.

Old
05-28-2004, 02:42 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton
I liked the cross check Simon did on a wide open Boyle when they were losing 4-1. I also liked how Gelinas broke his stick cross checking Modin at the end of the game.
I also like the way Modin (??) broke his stick taking a slap shot.

EDIT: I guess I should explain to those who are too dense to understand my point, its the relative strengths of the stick. Graphite sticks maybe strong, but there are certain spots where they snap in half with just a tap, as evident by the strength's of Modin's shot... it was so hard it never even got to the net when he shot it from the slot.

Old
05-28-2004, 02:48 PM
HellsBells

Quote:
I like how riled up the Flames have everyone on this board. It's funny to be honest.

Old
05-28-2004, 03:05 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
The ironic thing is all the Flames fans complaining about dirty hits, when a major part of the Flames success is creating fear in the other team of their hitting and forchecking, no small component of which is boarding, crosschecking, slashing and running the goalie. For the three previous series many Flames fans here have laughed at posters complaining about these kinds of things, but now that in one game they get a fraction of what they've handed out, there's all kinds of comlaints being issued. Get real. No one gives a rats behind for a cheap shot on Ville or any of his compatriats.

Old
05-28-2004, 03:12 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat
The ironic thing is all the Flames fans complaining about dirty hits, when a major part of the Flames success is creating fear in the other team of their hitting and forchecking, no small component of which is boarding, crosschecking, slashing and running the goalie. For the three previous series many Flames fans here have laughed at posters complaining about these kinds of things, but now that in one game they get a fraction of what they've handed out, there's all kinds of comlaints being issued. Get real. No one gives a rats behind for a cheap shot on Ville or any of his compatriats.
I certainly don't complain about it

But if someone wants an explaination to why Calgary was looking for some Tampa blood, here it is.

But I don't complain

Old
05-28-2004, 03:25 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield
I like how riled up the Flames have everyone on this board. It's funny to be honest.
You think my comments were "riled up" comments?

Old
05-28-2004, 03:49 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:

This is showing exactly what is WRONG

Old
05-28-2004, 03:52 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat
They are getting a doseage of there own medicine and trust me Lightning isnt stepping down from anyone. We are NOT any of the teams you gooned against before this series. Pretty amusing to see the complaints on how dirty tampa is. But i will take your words for it since you have probably seen a lot more dirty than all tampa fans in the world combined

Old
05-28-2004, 03:54 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by kherninko

GO FLAMES!

Both teams are doing it

Old
05-28-2004, 03:54 PM
Snakeeye

Quote:
Unfortunately for Ville Niemenen, Andre Roy's stick didnt break on a much more viscious crosscheck in game one.

There have been a ton of dangerous hits the league has chosen to ignore.

Ohlund running Iginla from behind. Gauthier running Jovonoski from behind. Linden elbowing Lydman right out of the playoffs - his carrer ???. Boughner suckerpunching Cheechoo. Marleau running Commodore from behind, breaking his nose. Stillman leaving his feet to elbow Nilson, Roy crosschecking Niemenen from behind. Simon crosschecking Stillman.

That's off the top of my head from the games I saw. Undoubtably there were a ton more in the other series.

I strongly doubt Derian Hatcher would have been suspended at all if Lombardi had dressed for game one of the San Jose series.

And yet, Ville Niemenen gets a major and a suspension for simply making contact with Joeseph. If that is a suspendable offense, fine. But so too should be the far, far more dangerous attempts to injure that have gone uncalled, and unpunished.

NHL discipline is as big a joke as it has always been.

Old
05-28-2004, 04:09 PM
TwineSniper

Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
I don't mean to stir up ****, but I, in all honesty, can't remember the last time I've seen Stillman land a big hit without jumping up first.

This isn't meant to rub the Lightning, he has been doing this since his St. Louis days at least.

Old
05-28-2004, 04:23 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat

Both teams are doing it
I haven't seen any Flames throw a jumping elbow straight to a guy's head. You might want to point out that exact play for us if you're going to claim both teams are doing it.

Old
05-28-2004, 04:26 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
Unfortunately for Ville Niemenen, Andre Roy's stick didnt break on a much more viscious crosscheck in game one.

There have been a ton of dangerous hits the league has chosen to ignore.

Ohlund running Iginla from behind. Gauthier running Jovonoski from behind. Linden elbowing Lydman right out of the playoffs - his carrer ???. Boughner suckerpunching Cheechoo. Marleau running Commodore from behind, breaking his nose. Stillman leaving his feet to elbow Nilson, Roy crosschecking Niemenen from behind. Simon crosschecking Stillman.

That's off the top of my head from the games I saw. Undoubtably there were a ton more in the other series.

I strongly doubt Derian Hatcher would have been suspended at all if Lombardi had dressed for game one of the San Jose series.

And yet, Ville Niemenen gets a major and a suspension for simply making contact with Joeseph. If that is a suspendable offense, fine. But so too should be the far, far more dangerous attempts to injure that have gone uncalled, and unpunished.

NHL discipline is as big a joke as it has always been.
Good post. The Nieminen suspension looks like a joke compared to half the stuff we've seen. We're lucky Nilson isn't out of the playoffs just like Lydman and Lombardi are.

NEWSFLASH for Tampa fans who are questioning why headshots are considered more dirty than a crosscheck to the back: We've got two players who aren't skating right now because of concussions. Concussions come from hits to the head. You get it yet?

Old
05-28-2004, 04:29 PM
jiggs 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
I haven't seen any Flames throw a jumping elbow straight to a guy's head. You might want to point out that exact play for us if you're going to claim both teams are doing it.
Well,I watched Game 2 and saw at least 2 incidents of it. I didn't tape the game, so I can't tell you exact times, but...

And all the stuff at the end of the game should get at least 2 Flames suspended. But it's the playoffs, this is how the NHL wants it, I guess, or they'd put a stop to it. And both teams are doing little cheap shots. It's just Calgary's are more noticable some times, because as has been said before, St. Louis is so small, it's hard to hit him below the shoulder. But he took at least 4 wicked slashes to the forearms in Game 2 that should have been called. It was so bad, even ESPN saw them!

Old
05-28-2004, 04:36 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10
And all the stuff at the end of the game should get at least 2 Flames suspended.
Which?

Old
05-28-2004, 04:37 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
Which?
I knew there was a reason I put that Jiggs guy on my ignore list.

Old
05-28-2004, 04:56 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
I knew there was a reason I put that Jiggs guy on my ignore list.
He made a correct view of what happened and you know it is correct when even ESPN notice it

Old
05-28-2004, 04:58 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Bolt Fan
He made a correct view of what happened and you know it is correct when even ESPN notice it
Well then, why don't you tell me.

Which 2 players?

Old
05-28-2004, 05:00 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Actually, neither of these teams are really what you would call "cheap". Certainly Simon and of coure Ville will do some dirty stuff, but I'm sure that Roy and Dingman aren't shy about doing what they think is necessary either.

Calgary plays a much more physical style of hockey with lots of forcheck. Well, it's been extremely successful for them and they aren't going to stop now. I'm happy to see the Bolts show a bit of an edge as it will make the Flames think twice about their game. Any and all viscious hits should be called and penalized. The rest of the stuff they are letting go, so I guess that should continue.

Old
05-28-2004, 05:03 PM
paxtang

Both teams (in fact all teams) tend to do cheap things. The Tampa players that have thrown cheap hits tend to end up leaving their feet, because the ones that are tryign to throw the hits are generally smaller. Calgary tends to throw cross checks from behind. No big deal.

Old
05-28-2004, 07:09 PM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
Originally Posted by The~Franchise
... I, in all honesty, can't remember the last time I've seen Stillman land a big hit without jumping up first.
I can't remember the last time I saw Stillman land a big hit period!

Old
05-28-2004, 08:07 PM
Donnie D

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeminus
I can't remember the last time I saw Stillman land a big hit period!
So true. Stillman is just about the least physical player on the Bolts.

Closed Thread