HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Cheap hits

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-28-2004, 12:21 PM
  #1
kherninko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Pottstown PA
Posts: 148
vCash: 500
Cheap hits

How long until TB players that leave their feet while boarding other teams players (see Pitkanen, Nilsson) get suspended?

In general this is a problem with the league. There are four stinkin' officials on the ice getting in the way of play and no one sees any of this boarding?

If a guy came away bloodied with a broken nose, etc they'd throw start throwing the B word (Bertuzzi) around.

GO FLAMES!

kherninko is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 12:30 PM
  #2
HellsBells
Registered User
 
HellsBells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: PEI
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kherninko
How long until TB players that leave their feet while boarding other teams players (see Pitkanen, Nilsson) get suspended?

In general this is a problem with the league. There are four stinkin' officials on the ice getting in the way of play and no one sees any of this boarding?

If a guy came away bloodied with a broken nose, etc they'd throw start throwing the B word (Bertuzzi) around.

GO FLAMES!
I agree with you but you are going to get flamed, no pun intended.

Let's hear it everyone.

"Calgary is the dirtiest team in the NHL"
"They can't lose without gooning it up"

HellsBells is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 02:25 PM
  #3
chriss_co
Registered User
 
chriss_co's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: CALGARY
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,769
vCash: 500
i don't know if this is true on all the cheap hits and leaving their feet but isn't it cuz the player throwing the hit is usually a small guy?

eg.. the stillman headshot on nilson.. all because stillman is shorter than nilson...

i also thought the regehr penalty against st.louis in the 3rd was stupid... the guy is so small... what is regehr suppose to do? crouch down so that his hands are around his shoulders and not his face?? and its not like he threw him down hard!! the guy weighs like nothing compared to regehr.. what's he supposed to do?? st. louis is driving to the net... let him go!? crazy refs

chriss_co is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 02:39 PM
  #4
Heaton
Moderator
#disapointment
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,916
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
I liked the cross check Simon did on a wide open Boyle when they were losing 4-1. I also liked how Gelinas broke his stick cross checking Modin at the end of the game.

Heaton is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 02:42 PM
  #5
Phanuthier*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murder capital (Edm)
Posts: 10,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton
I liked the cross check Simon did on a wide open Boyle when they were losing 4-1. I also liked how Gelinas broke his stick cross checking Modin at the end of the game.
I also like the way Modin (??) broke his stick taking a slap shot.

EDIT: I guess I should explain to those who are too dense to understand my point, its the relative strengths of the stick. Graphite sticks maybe strong, but there are certain spots where they snap in half with just a tap, as evident by the strength's of Modin's shot... it was so hard it never even got to the net when he shot it from the slot.

Phanuthier* is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 02:48 PM
  #6
HellsBells
Registered User
 
HellsBells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: PEI
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton
I liked the cross check Simon did on a wide open Boyle when they were losing 4-1. I also liked how Gelinas broke his stick cross checking Modin at the end of the game.
I like how riled up the Flames have everyone on this board. It's funny to be honest.

HellsBells is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 03:05 PM
  #7
quat
intheDanRusseljungle
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 8,919
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to quat
The ironic thing is all the Flames fans complaining about dirty hits, when a major part of the Flames success is creating fear in the other team of their hitting and forchecking, no small component of which is boarding, crosschecking, slashing and running the goalie. For the three previous series many Flames fans here have laughed at posters complaining about these kinds of things, but now that in one game they get a fraction of what they've handed out, there's all kinds of comlaints being issued. Get real. No one gives a rats behind for a cheap shot on Ville or any of his compatriats.

quat is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 03:12 PM
  #8
Phanuthier*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murder capital (Edm)
Posts: 10,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quat
The ironic thing is all the Flames fans complaining about dirty hits, when a major part of the Flames success is creating fear in the other team of their hitting and forchecking, no small component of which is boarding, crosschecking, slashing and running the goalie. For the three previous series many Flames fans here have laughed at posters complaining about these kinds of things, but now that in one game they get a fraction of what they've handed out, there's all kinds of comlaints being issued. Get real. No one gives a rats behind for a cheap shot on Ville or any of his compatriats.
I certainly don't complain about it

But if someone wants an explaination to why Calgary was looking for some Tampa blood, here it is.

But I don't complain

Phanuthier* is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 03:25 PM
  #9
Heaton
Moderator
#disapointment
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,916
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield
I like how riled up the Flames have everyone on this board. It's funny to be honest.
You think my comments were "riled up" comments?

Heaton is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 03:49 PM
  #10
Swedish Bolt Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: win it again
Posts: 1,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton
I liked the cross check Simon did on a wide open Boyle when they were losing 4-1. I also liked how Gelinas broke his stick cross checking Modin at the end of the game.


This is showing exactly what is WRONG

Swedish Bolt Fan is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 03:52 PM
  #11
Swedish Bolt Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: win it again
Posts: 1,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quat
The ironic thing is all the Flames fans complaining about dirty hits, when a major part of the Flames success is creating fear in the other team of their hitting and forchecking, no small component of which is boarding, crosschecking, slashing and running the goalie. For the three previous series many Flames fans here have laughed at posters complaining about these kinds of things, but now that in one game they get a fraction of what they've handed out, there's all kinds of comlaints being issued. Get real. No one gives a rats behind for a cheap shot on Ville or any of his compatriats.
They are getting a doseage of there own medicine and trust me Lightning isnt stepping down from anyone. We are NOT any of the teams you gooned against before this series. Pretty amusing to see the complaints on how dirty tampa is. But i will take your words for it since you have probably seen a lot more dirty than all tampa fans in the world combined

Swedish Bolt Fan is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 03:54 PM
  #12
Vincent_TheGreat
Registered User
 
Vincent_TheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,128
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by kherninko
How long until TB players that leave their feet while boarding other teams players (see Pitkanen, Nilsson) get suspended?

In general this is a problem with the league. There are four stinkin' officials on the ice getting in the way of play and no one sees any of this boarding?

If a guy came away bloodied with a broken nose, etc they'd throw start throwing the B word (Bertuzzi) around.

GO FLAMES!


Both teams are doing it

Vincent_TheGreat is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 03:54 PM
  #13
Snakeeye
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton
I liked the cross check Simon did on a wide open Boyle when they were losing 4-1. I also liked how Gelinas broke his stick cross checking Modin at the end of the game.
Unfortunately for Ville Niemenen, Andre Roy's stick didnt break on a much more viscious crosscheck in game one.

There have been a ton of dangerous hits the league has chosen to ignore.

Ohlund running Iginla from behind. Gauthier running Jovonoski from behind. Linden elbowing Lydman right out of the playoffs - his carrer ???. Boughner suckerpunching Cheechoo. Marleau running Commodore from behind, breaking his nose. Stillman leaving his feet to elbow Nilson, Roy crosschecking Niemenen from behind. Simon crosschecking Stillman.

That's off the top of my head from the games I saw. Undoubtably there were a ton more in the other series.

I strongly doubt Derian Hatcher would have been suspended at all if Lombardi had dressed for game one of the San Jose series.

And yet, Ville Niemenen gets a major and a suspension for simply making contact with Joeseph. If that is a suspendable offense, fine. But so too should be the far, far more dangerous attempts to injure that have gone uncalled, and unpunished.

NHL discipline is as big a joke as it has always been.

Snakeeye is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 04:09 PM
  #14
TwineSniper
Registered User
 
TwineSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
I don't mean to stir up ****, but I, in all honesty, can't remember the last time I've seen Stillman land a big hit without jumping up first.

This isn't meant to rub the Lightning, he has been doing this since his St. Louis days at least.

TwineSniper is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 04:23 PM
  #15
Flames Draft Watcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat

Both teams are doing it
I haven't seen any Flames throw a jumping elbow straight to a guy's head. You might want to point out that exact play for us if you're going to claim both teams are doing it.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 04:26 PM
  #16
Flames Draft Watcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
Unfortunately for Ville Niemenen, Andre Roy's stick didnt break on a much more viscious crosscheck in game one.

There have been a ton of dangerous hits the league has chosen to ignore.

Ohlund running Iginla from behind. Gauthier running Jovonoski from behind. Linden elbowing Lydman right out of the playoffs - his carrer ???. Boughner suckerpunching Cheechoo. Marleau running Commodore from behind, breaking his nose. Stillman leaving his feet to elbow Nilson, Roy crosschecking Niemenen from behind. Simon crosschecking Stillman.

That's off the top of my head from the games I saw. Undoubtably there were a ton more in the other series.

I strongly doubt Derian Hatcher would have been suspended at all if Lombardi had dressed for game one of the San Jose series.

And yet, Ville Niemenen gets a major and a suspension for simply making contact with Joeseph. If that is a suspendable offense, fine. But so too should be the far, far more dangerous attempts to injure that have gone uncalled, and unpunished.

NHL discipline is as big a joke as it has always been.
Good post. The Nieminen suspension looks like a joke compared to half the stuff we've seen. We're lucky Nilson isn't out of the playoffs just like Lydman and Lombardi are.

NEWSFLASH for Tampa fans who are questioning why headshots are considered more dirty than a crosscheck to the back: We've got two players who aren't skating right now because of concussions. Concussions come from hits to the head. You get it yet?

Flames Draft Watcher is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 04:29 PM
  #17
jiggs 10
Registered User
 
jiggs 10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Hockeytown, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 3,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
I haven't seen any Flames throw a jumping elbow straight to a guy's head. You might want to point out that exact play for us if you're going to claim both teams are doing it.
Well,I watched Game 2 and saw at least 2 incidents of it. I didn't tape the game, so I can't tell you exact times, but...

And all the stuff at the end of the game should get at least 2 Flames suspended. But it's the playoffs, this is how the NHL wants it, I guess, or they'd put a stop to it. And both teams are doing little cheap shots. It's just Calgary's are more noticable some times, because as has been said before, St. Louis is so small, it's hard to hit him below the shoulder. But he took at least 4 wicked slashes to the forearms in Game 2 that should have been called. It was so bad, even ESPN saw them!

jiggs 10 is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 04:36 PM
  #18
Phanuthier*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murder capital (Edm)
Posts: 10,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10
And all the stuff at the end of the game should get at least 2 Flames suspended.
Which?

Phanuthier* is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 04:37 PM
  #19
Flames Draft Watcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
Which?
I knew there was a reason I put that Jiggs guy on my ignore list.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 04:56 PM
  #20
Swedish Bolt Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: win it again
Posts: 1,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
I knew there was a reason I put that Jiggs guy on my ignore list.
He made a correct view of what happened and you know it is correct when even ESPN notice it

Swedish Bolt Fan is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 04:58 PM
  #21
Phanuthier*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murder capital (Edm)
Posts: 10,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Bolt Fan
He made a correct view of what happened and you know it is correct when even ESPN notice it
Well then, why don't you tell me.

Which 2 players?

Phanuthier* is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 05:00 PM
  #22
quat
intheDanRusseljungle
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 8,919
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Actually, neither of these teams are really what you would call "cheap". Certainly Simon and of coure Ville will do some dirty stuff, but I'm sure that Roy and Dingman aren't shy about doing what they think is necessary either.

Calgary plays a much more physical style of hockey with lots of forcheck. Well, it's been extremely successful for them and they aren't going to stop now. I'm happy to see the Bolts show a bit of an edge as it will make the Flames think twice about their game. Any and all viscious hits should be called and penalized. The rest of the stuff they are letting go, so I guess that should continue.

quat is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 05:03 PM
  #23
paxtang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
Both teams (in fact all teams) tend to do cheap things. The Tampa players that have thrown cheap hits tend to end up leaving their feet, because the ones that are tryign to throw the hits are generally smaller. Calgary tends to throw cross checks from behind. No big deal.

paxtang is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 07:09 PM
  #24
joeminus
Registered User
 
joeminus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,770
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
Originally Posted by The~Franchise
... I, in all honesty, can't remember the last time I've seen Stillman land a big hit without jumping up first.
I can't remember the last time I saw Stillman land a big hit period!

joeminus is offline  
Old
05-28-2004, 08:07 PM
  #25
Donnie D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeminus
I can't remember the last time I saw Stillman land a big hit period!
So true. Stillman is just about the least physical player on the Bolts.

Donnie D is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.