HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Should Luongo remain captain?

Old
08-06-2010, 06:38 PM
GCM
Stork

vCash: 500
Should Luongo remain captain?

I was sort of indifferent on the issue until after reading an article.

Now I'm kind of sold on Henrik Sedin being the captain.

How would you feel if Luongo was still the captain at the start of the season? If you'd be angry, who would you want as captain instead?

Last edited by GCM: 08-06-2010 at 06:52 PM.
GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I'm kind of indifferent on the issue, but I see two sides to it.

With Luongo as Captain, you can't have your Captain on the ice every night. The goalie gets nights off. There's also the fact that, however minute, it could be added pressure for a goaltender who is already in one of the biggest pressure cookers in the league.

However, it can also be argued that by dividing the alternates up permanently amongst several deserving parties, you have more than enough leadership present on the ice at any given point and really, is the C that big of a distraction?

I think if the C were to be given to another party, Henrik Sedin would be a reasonable selection. Ryan Kesler is another possibility but I think he still has a bit of growing to do personally...definitely an intense, hard-working, lead-by-example type, but I don't think Kesler has the same calm, quiet and diplomatic demeanour that would be needed to say, negotiate with officials, that Henrik has.

If Mitchell sticks around, he'd be another candidate IMO.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Hollywood Burrows

So certain websites are banned on hfboards??? I've never seen that before.

Whether Lui should give up the C depends on whether he's willing to give it up. I don't see AV or Gillis stripping it from him if he wanted to keep it. I think it might be the right move for his game and for the team, but I'm not sure who would be captain instead.

Hollywood Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Honestly, I would say NO.

let him focus on stopping the puck

that being said, if we win the cup with a goalie as a captain, then nobody will say anything ever again

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

I don't think he should be our captain.

He has enough pressure just being a starting goalie, but being the captain and dealing with the media doesn't help him.

If we re-sign Mitchell, make him the captain.
If we don't re-sign him, make Kesler the captain.

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 06:52 PM
GCM
Stork

I didn't know that that was a banned site here O_o I edited it out of the post, my bad.

Old
08-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
How would you feel if Luongo was still the captain at the start of the season?
Either the captaincy means jack **** or it's a really bad idea to put the C on someone who's workload is being cut down because they're cracking under the pressure.

Old
08-06-2010, 06:57 PM
timw33

I'd prefer for him not to have it. I'd be fine with Henrik/Kesler having it or just continue to roll 3 A's.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 07:05 PM
xtr3m

No.

Gillis did all kinds of right moves this offseason. Giving the C to a skater would be another one.

I'm not saying Luongo is a bad captain or leader. I'd just rather not have that factor (goalie having the C) at all.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Shareefruck

You know what would take the most pressure off this team? Give the C to someone who doesn't play a big role.

*looks at O'Brien*

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 07:21 PM
PRNuck

As of right now, yes, because there's no one better.

Watch the end of this video, Luongo's the only one to tell him to ****. Looks like he straight up ignores Henrik after that. It's clear who their leader is.

Btw I've said it before and I'll say it again, Lu will just be keeping the C warm until Hodgson is ready for it. He's been a leader everywhere he's gone, and he'll step into here sooner than a lot of people think.

Last edited by PRNuck: 08-06-2010 at 07:32 PM.
PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I'm kind of indifferent on the issue, but I see two sides to it.

With Luongo as Captain, you can't have your Captain on the ice every night. The goalie gets nights off. There's also the fact that, however minute, it could be added pressure for a goaltender who is already in one of the biggest pressure cookers in the league.

However, it can also be argued that by dividing the alternates up permanently amongst several deserving parties, you have more than enough leadership present on the ice at any given point and really, is the C that big of a distraction?

I think if the C were to be given to another party, Henrik Sedin would be a reasonable selection. Ryan Kesler is another possibility but I think he still has a bit of growing to do personally...definitely an intense, hard-working, lead-by-example type, but I don't think Kesler has the same calm, quiet and diplomatic demeanour that would be needed to say, negotiate with officials, that Henrik has.

If Mitchell sticks around, he'd be another candidate IMO.
I totally agree with you on Kesler, he strikes me as a bit of an immature sulk at times. I don't think he's captain material at this time. I disagree on Mitchell though, even if he did come back for a year, at his age and with his concussion issues he doesn't have a long-term future with the team. Concussions aren't usually something that just go away without long term issues. Once you have them, even if you recover, you become more prone to them in the future.

As for Luongo being made captain, at the time the decision was made, there was no clear contender for the job. The Sedins had their breakout season last year, and MG didn't seem sold at the time that they would be his 1st liners going forward. Mitchell's just a defensive D-man, not someone that is going to take charge on the PP. Luongo got the job almost by default, as he was the only clear-cut leader.

I'd be a bit wary of taking the 'C' away, because Luongo seems happy to play that role, and to take it away now would almost seem like a vote of non-confidence. If anyone was to become the new captain, I'd say Henrik. Even so, the Sedins can be a bit quiet, and the 'A' might be a better fit for them. Here's how I see it breaking down:

Advantages (to Luongo having 'C')
  • Is on ice for every shift and able to keep dialog going with refs.
  • Able to spot problems with team's play/positioning especially in Defensive zone and suggest adjustments.
  • Obviously possesses strong leadership skills.
  • Is not one of the skaters, so he has different perspective than skaters who are focusing on reading the play instead of what the rest of the forwards and D not in the play are doing.
  • Has lots of experience now in dealing with media

Disadvantages (to Luongo having 'C')
  • Captaincy is a high pressure job, and sometimes it would better for Luongo to just focus on goaltending instead of what his teammates are doing.
  • With forward or d-man as captain, if goalie has bad game, captain can just spread blame around to whole team "Well, none of us were on our game, quit blaming just our goaltender". Right now Luongo can't really deflect blame without looking like a bad leader.
  • Luongo can't really skate out to center ice to argue with the refs.
  • Taking 'C' away at this point may be a blow to his confidence level.
  • Luongo having 'C' allows (esp. the eastern biased) media to take veiled shots at him in post-game interviews. If he didn't have 'C', he would be able to deflect the dumb questions to the captain, allowing him to shake of bad games more easily.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Btw I've said it before and I'll say it again, Lu will just be keeping the C warm until Hodgson is ready for it. He's been a leader everywhere he's gone, and he'll step into here sooner than a lot of people think.
I'll agree with this..

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Tiranis

Good post, Hammer79. I'm surprised by the amount of people that think that Luongo doesn't have strong leadership abilities — every interview we've heard, everything we've seen, indicates otherwise. At the same time we've heard countless times that Kesler is a) not mature enough, and b) not somebody who will speak up before games, but rather afterwards. There are disadvantages to Luongo being a captain, but at the moment I really don't see anyone who can do the job better — and there's something to be said for the fact that this is (possibly) going to be Luongo's third year with the captaincy.

Let Henrik keep the A, but I don't think he deserves the C. Daniel shouldn't even get an A after he was clearly unable to control his emotions in the playoffs.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 08:04 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

No!!! Gillis has to do the dirty work in taking it away.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 08:11 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
As of right now, yes, because there's no one better.

Watch the end of this video, Luongo's the only one to tell him to ****. Looks like he straight up ignores Henrik after that. It's clear who their leader is.

One thing that stands out to me in that video, and it's a bit off-topic, is how disgusted Raycroft looks with O'Brien. Also, Samuelsson hitting him with the stick, telling him to shut up. Edler looks pretty annoyed, too.

As for Henrik/Luongo, Henrik jumps up to shut him up, too. I think that Lou was just closest at that point. Later on, when Hank is trying to talk to him, O'Brien clearly knows he's done something stupid, and is just trying to get out of there before he flips out. I'd bet he broke a couple sticks, a chair, whatever in the room. Still, though, I agree that Louongo is the clear leader of this team. The players know it, but the question still remains as to him having the C being the best thing for everyone.

Last edited by RobertKron: 08-06-2010 at 08:17 PM.
RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Canuckee

Hodgson Hodgson Hodgson

Canuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

I say no.

Ideally, I would like to see a two-part announcement in the near future by Mike Gillis.

Willie Mitchell is resigned as a Canuck and is the new captain.

Doubt like hell that would happen though. You don't make someone a captain whose career is uncertain, but I'd still do it anyways.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 08:16 PM
fuzzay

Send a message via MSN to fuzzay
If Luongo wants the title, let him keep it. We don't know how much extra pressure (if any) having a letter on a chest brings. This whole thing might just be blown out of proportion.

If Luongo does choose to give the title to someone else, I second the nomination of Hank. Amazing what one good season can do, huh?

fuzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 08:22 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Keep Luongo on as captain for another couple seasons, then move to Hodgson... should be the plan.

EDIT: And what is with everyone wanting Hank as captain all of a sudden???

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Alan Jackson

It was a bad idea in the first place to name Luongo captain, so I don't think he should remain captain.

Has the "C" made Luongo a better player? The answer is no.

Whether the C affects his play or not, you certainly can't argue that the "C" has helped his game.

My candidate, should he be brought back, would be Willie Mitchell. I think Henrik would be an excellent choice, too.

I don't think Kesler is necessarily captain material.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 08:46 PM
VanEric

Changing the C won't change the leadership dynamic on the team. Luongo was very vocal before he got the C and he will likely continue to be even without it.

The main problem that has emerged with Luongo being Captain is an external one. The media and a portion of the fanbase in this city are like sharks and they feed off the slightest hint of unrest. Naslund got criticized for being too bland, giving cliched answers and not showing enough emotion.

Luongo gets criticized because he shows too much emotion, he tries to answer all the questions as honestly as possible, and he isn't afraid to ruffle some feathers.

Whomever the captain is on this team is going to deal with a ridiculous amount of scrutiny because it's the cheap and easy way out for the media. They couldn't analyze what's actually going on with the hockey team to save their lives so instead they need something simple to grasp onto. Durrr captain durrr is all I hear from them.

I can see what's going to happen in October coming a mile away. Luongo's probably going to have a mediocre first two weeks like he always does. If he still has the C, all the noise will be how they should have taken it away. If he doesn't have the C, all the noise will be how they must have angered him by taking it away. It's going to happen.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 09:12 PM
GCM
Stork

Lot of high expectations for Hodgson to be Toews-lite for this team...

I think it's very, very early to be saying Hodgson is a lock for future captaincy. Let him play some games in the NHL first, yes?

He has a history of leadership, that's true, but leading at an NHL level is clearly quite a larger leap.

Old
08-06-2010, 09:22 PM
wholesickcrew

While Kesler has shown in the past that he's too immature/not ready for the captaincy, he has also shown the ability and eagerness to take on greater responsibility. Although I don't think he's the perfect choice for the C, I think he's the best we've got. He's shown everything we'd look for in a captain, and just needs to work on adjusting those aspects that we don't want to see -- and I think he could be successful.

If after a couple years he hasn't been a strong captain, and has shown no signs of growing into the role, Hodgson could be ready. Kesler's NMC expires around then anyway...

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 10:27 PM
biturbo19

After last season I was all in favour of moving the 'C' to Kesler, but given what's transpired this offseason, i'm not so sure any more.

The team is going to have a ton of turnover and change. I think some stability might be beneficial. As well, i think it would probably be a good idea to let this new group work itself out and see where the leadership dynamics go.

NEXT year, if the Luongo 'C' thing definitely isn't working, hopefully we'll have a better idea of who are going to be the true leaders on this team. The Sedins? Kesler? Hodgson? A quiet new guy like Hamhuis? after all...the loudest people aren't always the best leaders...if that were the case, O'Brien and Burrows would be duking it out for the 'C'...literally...duking it out. lol.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote