HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Luongo remain captain?

Old
08-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Slapshot_11

vCash: 500
If Mitchell comes back it should go to him

Just imagine what would happen if Naslund said something like what Luongo did after game 6... the fans would rip him to no end

I would be fine with him as captain if Mitchell did not come back though

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 10:43 PM
GCM
Stork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot_11 View Post
If Mitchell comes back it should go to him

Just imagine what would happen if Naslund said something like what Luongo did after game 6... the fans would rip him to no end

I would be fine with him as captain if Mitchell did not come back though
Mitchell is a huge risk as captain. What if he gets concussed to the point where he has to retire in December?

Then do we play with no Captain?

If we give Luongo captaincy back then it looks widely as though he's captain by default and that may have some truth with it.

It weakens the image quite a bit.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 10:44 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
After last season I was all in favour of moving the 'C' to Kesler, but given what's transpired this offseason, i'm not so sure any more.

The team is going to have a ton of turnover and change. I think some stability might be beneficial. As well, i think it would probably be a good idea to let this new group work itself out and see where the leadership dynamics go.

NEXT year, if the Luongo 'C' thing definitely isn't working, hopefully we'll have a better idea of who are going to be the true leaders on this team. The Sedins? Kesler? Hodgson? A quiet new guy like Hamhuis? after all...the loudest people aren't always the best leaders...if that were the case, O'Brien and Burrows would be duking it out for the 'C'...literally...duking it out. lol.
Good point. I think I'd still like to see a commitment to change here though, so start the season with three A's. Then give someone a Christmas present.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 10:46 PM
FloydTheBarber

I think Hank is the logically choice, but please don't offer it to him. He wont say no, and he will end up stressed and ridiculed like Naslund as just another soft Euro who is quiet and shouldn't be captain.

I say give it a defenseman, they don't have to deal with the pressure of not scoring or going cold like forwards, Hamhuis would be the ideal choice if he was here at the deadline. It's just that he's new so it wouldn't go over well with the rest of the team.

I'd say give it to Mitchell if he's back this season, than give it to Hodgson down the road or Hamhuis.

FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 11:41 PM
In Gillis We Trust

My ideal situation, Luongo steps up and gives it to Kesler. If Henrik didn't have an 'absolutely identical in almost every which way' twin named Daniel, then he'd be the logical choice. Potential twin jealousy.

I totally disagree with those who say Kesler isn't mature enough for it. I don't see how he's "immature". I see how SOB is, I don't see that in Kesler at all. Personally I want someone like Kesler as the leader of our team. Hank and Daniel are the perfect assistant captains IMO.

The Kesler that I hated for 2 weeks in February is the player I want as the captain of our team.

In Gillis We Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Tarot Sport*

amazing how easily forgotten Willie Mitchell's 2008/2009 Blackhawks playoff series is around here

actually he was a fountainhead of dumb comments throughout that playoffs, and his on-ice play certainly made no amends

the thought of him as captain of this young, fast, two-way Vancouver team is cringeworthy

Tarot Sport* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 12:06 AM
Rumble21

The Canucks should go with no captain this year, so this obviously means taking it away from Lou.

With the major changes to the blue line and Sedin and every other player have record breaking seasons, there are too many too choose from. So although Kesler and Sedin would make great captains, they should still wait just another year or so.

Rumble21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 12:07 AM
xtr3m

vCash: 50
For the most part of the last season I thought Kesler should be our next captain. Then, the emergence of Henrik made me think: should the franchise be represented by someone like Kesler? Don't get me wrong, I love him as a player and everything that he brings to the table, but do you want the team to be known as a team that's led by someone like Henrik (class, smarts, skills) or Kes (heart, grit)?

Both are worthy of captaincy, the question is what path should be taken.

PS. There's too many questions around Mitchell. Even if he gets signed it'll probably be for a year. We don't want the question of captaincy to be an annual thing.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Bourdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best Coast View Post
amazing how easily forgotten Willie Mitchell's 2008/2009 Blackhawks playoff series is around here

actually he was a fountainhead of dumb comments throughout that playoffs, and his on-ice play certainly made no amends

the thought of him as captain of this young, fast, two-way Vancouver team is cringeworthy
Thank goodness you singled him out among the entirety of the Vancouver 08-09 playoff team, otherwise we would not have known that we sucked. The point is that no-one really played well, including our current captain Luongo.

How easily forgotten is the fact that Mitchell is an great shutdown defender that is constantly up against the NHL's elite? Who's to say that Mitchell would have played poorly with a different team in 09/10? One of the biggest differences from 08/09 was our style of play, and the emergence of our key players.

Bourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 12:14 AM
David71

My first choice would be kesler because he has heart/grit/ and gives it his all every single night. I don't get how he's Immature... the kesler that i saw at the olympics is the one i want to see lead this team.

2nd would be henrik his calm cool demenour would be very welcome but, many ppl will probably not like it. its like naslund 2.0 who has to talk to the media every single night. He'll probably get tired of answering the same questions everynight.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 12:25 AM
JuniorNelson

Luongo is currently the captain. The team has undergone tumultous change to the defence. Luongo's game is affected by his relationship to the defence. If Luongo's game is to recover, he must forge a relationship again. There aren't even going to be one intact pairing from last year and the leaders have gone. Leadership is called for, here, no? Why not let him lead?

In the event Luongo has had enough of it, I nominate Samuelsson.

Last edited by JuniorNelson: 08-07-2010 at 12:44 AM.
JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Luongo is currently the captain. The team has undergone tumultous change to the defence. Luongo's game is affected by his relationship to the defence. If Luongo's game is to recover, he must forge a relationship again. There aren't even going to be one intact pairing from last year and the leaders have gone. Leadership is called for, here, no? Why not let him lead?

In the event he has had enough of it, I nominate Samuelsson.
Sounds like we're just rotating captains every once in a while then.

I'm going with Kesler or wait for Hodgson. Let'em keep it for the rest of their career.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 12:31 AM
xtr3m

One of the issues I have with Luongo is his last post game interview... "At least it wasn't seven."
That bothered me.

Also, remember when he shaved his beard and gave no interviews that day? Teams are just better when their goalies are not in the spotlight.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 12:41 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Kesler for sure should be the caption. I think Kesler is the type of player that'll excel in that role and he's the heart and sole of the team. Luongo's game has gone down hill since being the caption even with the team getting better. I know we're not as defensive as we were his first 2 years here but a goalie at his level should of had a much better season than last years. It's too much pressure on Luongo and we don't need anymore pressure on hin when playoffs come. He might of gotten the gold medal but he was shaky, he needs to find his game again and focus on that. I don't want to keep test running this goalie being caption thing only for it to get worse and worse.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 12:43 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
One of the issues I have with Luongo is his last post game interview... "At least it wasn't seven."
That bothered me.

Also, remember when he shaved his beard and gave no interviews that day? Teams are just better when their goalies are not in the spotlight.
I have no problem with that comment... he was joking trying to make it light. He cares about winning and I'm sure it bothered him about the last game in the playoffs.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 12:49 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 20000
Quote:
That bothered me.
I've never understood why that bothered anyone.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 01:40 AM
Intangibos
"Simple" Jim B.

Quote:
That bothered me.

Personally I loved that comment...

Intangibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 02:20 AM
Isomorphic

There doesn't seem to be too many people wanting Henrik as a captain. Are people just wary of another non-vocal captain?

I think he would be a great candidate, he has amazing work ethics and is truly dedicated to the franchise. At the same time, I don't think a change in captaincy is the key in having this team move forwards or having Luongo recover.

Isomorphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 02:34 AM
Meganuck*

People take that "atleast it wasnt seven" comment WAY too seriously.

I think it was a much better response than the meltdown he had the previous year.

He also seemed less destroyed because of the Olympics (guessing here).

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 04:09 AM
burkes

can't we just have no captain? just have alternates, there are teams that do that, right?

i guess it doesn't look great to revoke the captaincy from luongo and let it hang in limbo.

my vote would be henrik. him and his brother are the longest standing canucks, well liked by everyone, and henrik already has an A and has a mentoring roll on the team.

burkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 05:11 AM
oyvey

-I don't like the idea of our captain sitting out and being benched as much as Luongo has been. It just looks bad.
-I can't ignore the correlation between the decline of his play and his acquisition of the captaincy. I know none of us can really psychoanalyze him and the effects of the captaincy on him, but I don't doubt it gets into his head in a way no one would have thought possible back in '07.

Discussing Hodgson in the short term is pretty irrelevant. Kesler can act as surly and serious as he wishes, but he still has a lot of maturing to do. I deduce a Sedin should be our captain.

oyvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 07:03 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by number13baby View Post
-I don't like the idea of our captain sitting out and being benched as much as Luongo has been. It just looks bad.
-I can't ignore the correlation between the decline of his play and his acquisition of the captaincy. I know none of us can really psychoanalyze him and the effects of the captaincy on him, but I don't doubt it gets into his head in a way no one would have thought possible back in '07.

Discussing Hodgson in the short term is pretty irrelevant. Kesler can act as surly and serious as he wishes, but he still has a lot of maturing to do. I deduce a Sedin should be our captain.
I don't think there is a correlation between Luongo's C and the rough patches, it's more of a coincidence. I think it has more to do with the 2007 squad (pre Luongo as Captain) being a lot more defensively responsible, especially the forwards. Remember how the PK was hovering around 90% most of that season? Remember the questions in the following off-season about whether Gillis would tell AV to let the team to play a more offensive style? Since that season, they've gone to a more wide-open style of play to produce more offense. However, they haven't really had the defensive core that was up to par to play that type of higher risk, higher reward game, sometimes leaving Luongo hanging out to dry.

Luongo isn't the only one who's had rough games with the new system. Sanford and Schneider performance was much worse than Luongo's while he was injured, and they didn't have the 'burden' of the captaincy. It was so bad that it got to the point that MG had to throw away a draft pick to acquire Jason Labarbera to hold the fort for 9 games. With the defense being much improved this year, we're a lot less likely to see these meltdowns, and these questions that are being asked now will probably fade from memory rather quickly.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

One of Force or Sully should be named captain.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Danrik
It is what it is.

Lets see Hodgson play before we anoint him the captaincy.

Danrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 10:48 AM
demonic

It will take him a year or two, but I think that Ballard is going to become a real leader on this team. He has that intensity and competitiveness, but maybe not the maturity quite yet. He's probably a lot like Kesler in that way, but a couple years older and without the baggage here.

demonic is offline   Reply With Quote