HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you want as our fourth line center?

Old
08-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

vCash: 500
id like to see white (depending on training camp) or avery there

i think it will be boyle and honestly im not that mad about it....

Boyle is young and big... the rangers coaching staff has a lot of faith that he can become a good strong 2 way player

I really don't understand the hate for him on these boards...the guy does his job.

He is really the least of our problems

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
I really don't understand the hate for him on these boards...the guy does his job.
Boyle is a tower, but he plays way too soft for his size. And 6 points in 71 GP ain't much to brag about either... He puts up points in the AHL, but he can't seem to take it to next stage at the NHL level.

Last edited by Loffen: 08-06-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 11:43 PM
XLJ

I'm hoping Drury is the 4th line center. He will still play double digit minutes because you would use him on the penalty kill and could move him up when you are ahead late in game looking to protect a lead.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 01:30 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
Boyle is a tower, but he plays way too soft for his size. And 6 points in 71 GP ain't much to brag about either... He puts up points in the AHL, but he can't seem to take it to next stage at the NHL level.
I agree with you that its not much to brag about....but last season was his first full one in the nhl and maybe he didnt put up points but he wasnt a liability either.

As much as we analyze players after there first year i dont think anyone is saying...well anisimov is never gonna be a first liner because he put up 35 points last year.

My point is...hes now got a feel for the nhl lets see what he does next year....a lot of guys completely elevate there game from there first season to there second.

Trust me im not a boyle lover by any means....i just think that if the coaching staff speaks so highly of him then there must be something there that we as spectators dont see. Hes got the skill set and the size and im sure can be a more than capable 3rd or 4th liner in this league.

Old
08-07-2010, 01:39 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

understand if someone doesn't like Boyle. The guy plays small which is frustrating as all heck

but I think the job is his to lose

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 01:44 AM
17futurecap

At 4:40 is such a good hit by Boyle that starts the rush back ice, would like to see him get another chance, but I agree he needs to be MUCH MORE PHYSICAL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZayNeSP8TEE

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 01:49 AM
The Amity Affliction
Best In The World

In an ideal situation, Drury is gone, and Darren Helm would be my team's 4th line center.

Now back.to reality, Drury belongs on the 4th line. At least if he's going to be tremendously overpaid to do next to nothing, he can give Anisimov more minutes.

The Amity Affliction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 02:16 AM
The Thomas J.*

Wasn't Drury centering the 4th line last years for about 7-10 games? I mean if he is centering the 4th line this year it better be because someone else stole his job & Boyle has a season ending injury.

Boyle has just disapointed me, but as some else mentioned in an earlier thread Sather & co. must see somthing in him & will continue to try to develop him.

As far as EC goes, if he is not centering one of the top 2 lines than he is worthless. Honestly I think he is going to be the odd man out by Christmas.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 04:38 AM
Black Tank

Drury had 32 points and was the 6th highest scoring forward last year. So no Drury on the 4th.

White is even older than Drury and the Atl fans hated him. I'll trust the people who saw him all season and respect their opinion that he sucks. And that cap hit simply can't be done. So no White.

Take a look at who's on the 4th: Prust has been tabbed as part of the core and will play every game. Boogaard is signed to the biggest contract I've ever seen a fighter get and Sather will want him to be a fan favorite. He will play every game unless he plays himself out of the lineup.

Prust is more than capable of playing a decent game but Boogaard isn't. IMO, Boogaard should concentrate on lining up the opposition and laying out huge hits. That's what he's good at and that's what we signed him for, not to try and become a 5 goal scorer.

So what center are you going to stick into this competely non-offense generating line?

The only options are Boyle, b/c he is a decent enough player and this will not hurt his development (if any).

The other option is Avery b/c he and Prust might still be able to chip a few in with their combined skills but more importantly, I'd love to see Avery's antics if he knows Boogaard has his back. It will drive other teams insane.

Leave the 4th line to agitate, hit and be generally unpleasant to play against. The 5-10 goals generated from the 4th is not going to make us into a PO contender. It will not turn our bubble team into a balanced 4 scoring line Olympic team clone. All it will do is is dilute the 4th's true value.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 04:48 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

I cant see AVERY being on the 4th line making a difference, I think he needs 2 be on the ice with the 1st or 2nd line to be back 2 old Avery.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 04:56 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
While Drury is on this roster making 7 million per year, for the next two years, wearing the 'C', there is no way he plays only 5 minutes per game on the 4th line. Not happening.

I agree. EC, Ani and Drury are our first 3 centers - whatever lines you want to put them on is up to the individual. It comes down to between Boyle or Avery. Not a fan of Boyle's game at all so Avery by default. Dont see White having much of a future with Rangers unless EC ***** the bed.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaveHo94 View Post
I cant see AVERY being on the 4th line making a difference, I think he needs 2 be on the ice with the 1st or 2nd line to be back 2 old Avery.
Avery is going to have to find another way to get back to the "old" Avery--he's not going to be spending significant time on either the first or 2nd line.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
While Drury is on this roster making 7 million per year, for the next two years, wearing the 'C', there is no way he plays only 5 minutes per game on the 4th line. Not happening.

If anything he should be given more time in the top six and more PP time to try and get his offensive game going again.
Using that logic the cow will jump over the moon if you wait long enough.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Komarov47

everything except Avery, he need to be on the third on fourth line, but not with Boogard, Prust or Boyle.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:46 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

If Redden is gone and White is still on the roster and shows something then him and Christensen can flip between 1st C and 4th C depending on who shows more.

Anisimov and Drury can flip between 2nd C and 3rd C as well.

I'd love it if they gave Brodie Dupont a shot at the 4th line job though even though he's really a winger.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:22 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Avery is awful at center. People see that he played it a little in LA and Detroit and assume it's a good idea to put him back there.

Odds are Boyle will be our 4th line center. Let the whining commence.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Jimmy Dubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
stepan ... call me old fashioned by the fourth line is for bringing young guys up.
wrong. the minors is for bringing young guys up.

Jimmy Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 02:07 PM
pwoz

Drury is 4th line offensive talent.. so any more than 6 min of even str play and he's useless.. save him for the PK and second PP line.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Avery is awful at center. People see that he played it a little in LA and Detroit and assume it's a good idea to put him back there.

Odds are Boyle will be our 4th line center. Let the whining commence.
Actually, Avery played center quite a bit during Renney's regime. I didn't think he was great (I honestly don't really remmeber the circumstances), but he was competent enough at it. I don't think 4th line center is the best way to use Avery--especially if he's playing without the BS and with the right amount of snarl--but this "team" is full of players who will be playing out of position anyway, so what's one more?

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
I'd love to see Avery's antics if he knows Boogaard has his back. It will drive other teams insane.
I like it. I like it alot.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Vitto79

Prust can play C

Avery, Prust, Boogard and when boogie sits Prust to RW and White at C

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 09:34 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

If the choice is between Boyle and Christensen, then I choose Boyle. Boyle has to play with a bee under his bonnet or face demotion to the AHL.
or slats can trade him to Philly where he will become an absolute monster.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 09:45 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Anyone but Boyle

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

The more i look at this roster, the more i see a trade coming before training camp

Old
08-10-2010, 10:14 PM
I am a Ranger

I could see Drury as our fourth line center. However, during the end of the year he started to pick up his game a bit, so maybe it won't be him. Not 100% sure.

I am a Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote