HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres prospects at Canadian WJC development camp

Old
08-07-2010, 01:23 AM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Sabres prospects at Canadian WJC development camp

Just thought I'd make this thread because I figured people would be interested in anything newsworthy our prospects did at the camp.

Of our four prospects (D Gauthier-Leduc, F Kassian, D McNabb, D Pysyk), two were notable in the first scrimmage in which Team White beat Team Red 6-3.
Kassian and Pysyk were on Team Red, while Gauthier-Leduc and McNabb were on Team White.

McNabb had an assist on Team Red's first goal halfway through the 1st period (COL's Stefan Elliott from CBJ's Ryan Johansen and Brayden McNabb) and Kassian had the third and final goal for Team Red halfway through the third (Zack Kassian from TBL Carter Ashton and CAR Jeffrey Skinner).

Kassian also got into a scrap with the third overall pick in this year's draft Erik Gudbranson after he apparently speared him in the groin with less than 5 minutes left.
Each received roughing minors and both stated after the game that it was just a hockey thing and that they liked each other, but coach Dave Cameron did not like what he saw:
Quote:
"I thought it was a spear that started it -- I've got no time for that," said Cameron. "The competitiveness I love."

"You're not going to win this tournament if you're undisciplined. It's just too close with too many teams. So hopefully it's a learning experience for our team."
TSN took the first part of the quote out of context (aka cut out the competitiveness quote) to further Pierre McGuire's belief that Kassian will not be making the team now, and was a long shot to make the team to begin with.
Personally, I feel he fits a role, and that is why you see guys in the WJCs that will never make an impact at an NHL level, but I guess Pierre doesn't see that.

Also, as far as non-Sabres prospects go, likely 2011 top-5 pick Sean Couturier had a goal and an assist, while Canadiens 1st round pick Louis Leblanc had two goals.
Kings 1st round pick Brayden Schenn also had two, while Colorado 2nd round pick Stefan Elliott, Islanders 4th round pick Casey Cizikas, and Tampa Bay 1st round pick Carter Ashton each had a goal to round out the scoring.

In the protocol drills, Tyler Seguin broke the existing modified beep test (test details here) record, completing 61 laps, while undrafted defenseman Neil Manning set the new record, completing 67.
Apparently he has been invited to Flyers training camp this fall.

Overall, the top three performers in the tests were Louis Leblanc, Stefan Elliot, and Tyler Seguin.

Links of note:
Full roster
Red/White roster
Day 1 Red/White summary
TSN article on day 1 (Videos on the side)
TSN WJC hub

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 07:44 AM
OcAirlines

Thanks for the great report !

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 07:52 AM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
It was definitely a spear to the back of Gudbranson's leg that started it. Kassian was using his body in the 3rd looking to get something going for Red heading into tonight's scrimmage. He jabbed him and Gudbranson went down to the ice. Play continued and the two came together for a real brief wrestling match.

Granted I was juggling through the first period, but McNabb was #23 in White. Not sure why the boxscore has him assisting on Team Red goal.

Hobey Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 07:53 AM
Tachycineta

I'm trying not to overemphasize any particular incident but I hope Kassian will find a way not to remain a power forward but not be a headcase.

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!
Tachycineta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 07:58 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Still wondering how McNabb got an assist for Red when he was on Team White.

Also interesting to see LeBlanc lighting it up. We'll have to go back over the draft debate between him, Kassian, and Kreider again sometime.

Anyone else watch the game? I hear Kassian was getting moved around trying to spark guys (like Seguin) prior to the altercation with Gudbranson. (Thanks Bakes for the morning recap. )

08-07-2010, 01:13 PM
jfb392

I have no idea why he had an assist, but I added it since I wasn't at the game and didn't know if there was a roster change or something.
It seems as if they couldn't get any of the stats right, since I heard lots of different things (Couturier with 2, which I guess it was close and Leblanc stole one, and Leblanc with a hat trick).

Also, it's disappointing to hear Baker's report; I hope the rest of the guys step it up today.

I assume it's either homerism or plain hate for Kassian (and Ross, even though he's injured) on the prospects board, because people seem to have only seen that horrible TSN quote that they are shoving into a bunch of clips.
I guess no one reads the articles they write or anything.
It's just clear that this year, Pierre hasn't changed and is high on some players and incredibly low on others.
We'll just have to hope they didn't get scared off by Stefan Della Rovere last year.

Old
08-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Someone who draws the ire of the other team is still a useful guy in this sort of competition though -- a physical guy who is a bit off his rocker? Teams will spend time chasing him (or running from him), even in these sort of tournies.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 01:39 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Someone who draws the ire of the other team is still a useful guy in this sort of competition though -- a physical guy who is a bit off his rocker? Teams will spend time chasing him (or running from him), even in these sort of tournies.
Yeah, that's what I believe too.
Like I said, that was basically Stefan Della Rovere last year, and what is he going to be in the NHL?
I'd say 3rd line at absolute best.
And Cormier was starting to begin his elbowing phase, and we know how that turned out.
Even Kadri brought somewhat of a physical game, he was pretty chippy and picked up a 10 on a great but illegal hit in international competition.

I'm pretty sure Kassian can keep his head if he makes the team.
I mean, it's him or Brad Ross, and they are somewhat equal statistically.
Ross had more PIMs and a couple more points, but he was playing on Portland's top line this year, while Kassian was playing with a less talented Petes when he was drafted.
It just seems like Kassian likes to bring it when it's a big game (CHL games or Memorial Cup) and he is more physically imposing than Ross right now.

Old
08-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Yeah, that's what I believe too.
Like I said, that was basically Stefan Della Rovere last year, and what is he going to be in the NHL?
I'd say 3rd line at absolute best.
And Cormier was starting to begin his elbowing phase, and we know how that turned out.
Even Kadri brought somewhat of a physical game, he was pretty chippy and picked up a 10 on a great but illegal hit in international competition.

I'm pretty sure Kassian can keep his head if he makes the team.
I mean, it's him or Brad Ross, and they are somewhat equal statistically.
Ross had more PIMs and a couple more points, but he was playing on Portland's top line this year, while Kassian was playing with a less talented Petes when he was drafted.
It just seems like Kassian likes to bring it when it's a big game (CHL games or Memorial Cup) and he is more physically imposing than Ross right now.
Ross is akin to Darcy Tucker - yappy dog annoying and while not the biggest, there is a lot of willingness to do nearly anything to win. Kassian is so much bigger and even from what KB was talking about in the Red game -- he was getting moved around to get other guys going because he was finishing checks and no one wanted any part of him. I'm sure there will be some outcry one way or the other, but if Canada is looking to impose while taking the gold away in the US... I could see them bringing both.

Old
08-07-2010, 05:22 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Ross is akin to Darcy Tucker - yappy dog annoying and while not the biggest, there is a lot of willingness to do nearly anything to win. Kassian is so much bigger and even from what KB was talking about in the Red game -- he was getting moved around to get other guys going because he was finishing checks and no one wanted any part of him. I'm sure there will be some outcry one way or the other, but if Canada is looking to impose while taking the gold away in the US... I could see them bringing both.
I could see them bringing both too, especially if they don't bring Sheahan.

Also, looks like McNabb is a top pairing for white today, with Gauthier-Leduc getting third pairing for white.
Pysyk isn't in the lineup today and Kassian is on the fourth line for red.

Full lineups are as follows:

Red-
Ashton-Seguin-Beck
Hishon-Skinner-Vey
Sheahan-Johansen-Toffoli
Hamilton-x-Kassian

Beaulieu-Elliott
Despres-Beukeboom
Ponich-Roussel
Gormley

Jean-François Bérubé

White-
Cizikas-Howden-Gallagher
Clifford-Schenn-Schwartz
Eakin-Couturier-Leblanc
Werek-Glennie-Howse

McNabb-Doherty
Olsen-Barrie
Deslauriers-Leduc
Manning-Gudbranson

Olivier Roy

It's 1-0 Red after the first, Seguin on a deflected shot from Hamilton.

Edit: I'll just update the scoring summary as the game goes along.

1st:
Seguin (Hamilton) 1-0 Red

2nd:
Schwartz (Schenn, Clifford) 1-1
Eakin (Leblanc) 2-1 White
Goalie change - Visentin for Red, Pickard for White.
Clifford ( ) 3-1 White
Eakin ( ) 4-1 White
Manning ( ) 5-1 White
Toffoli (breakaway, most likely unassisted) 5-2 Red

3rd:
No scoring

Final 5-2 White.
I'll post more later as details emerge.

Last edited by jfb392: 08-07-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old
08-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Ugh, if Zack's on the 4th line, that's not a good sign. Damn.

Old
08-07-2010, 06:10 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Ugh, if Zack's on the 4th line, that's not a good sign. Damn.
Apparently he and Johansen looked like they were having fun and trying to spark Team Red, so I don't know how accurate those lines are.
Sounds like there is lots of shuffling and will probably be more, especially after that terrible minute in the 2nd when White scored three times.

Old
08-07-2010, 08:12 PM
jfb392

In the second and final Red/White game, Zack Kassian had an assist on the first goal (Tyler Seguin from Curtis Hamilton and Zack Kassian) and Brayden McNabb had 2 PIMs.
Mark Pysyk did not play because of a minor injury, and Jerome Gauthier-Leduc didn't show up on the score sheet.
Team White beat Team Red again, this time 5-2.
However, the score is misleading, since Mark Visentin gave up 3 goals in the span of a minute while tending for Team Red.

Seguin opened the scoring in the first on a shot from Hamilton that bounced off of him.
Team White answered back in the 2nd with 5 straight goals from Schwartz, Clifford, Manning, and two from Eakin.
Clifford, Eakin, and Schwartz also each picked up assists, along with Couturier and Schenn.
Leblanc added 2 assists.

Tyler Toffoli scored on a breakaway at the end of the 2nd, and no scoring took place in the 3rd.

I've seen some saying Couturier is going to make the team as the 13th forward, and it looks like he should (and possibly more than just the 13th).
Everything I've seen said about him not only talks about his offensive skills, but his commitment to defense.
The kid seems pretty good already, so it'll be interesting to see what he manages this year in the Q.

In the post-game shootout, Kassian apparently scored a great goal, but the shootout isn't covered, so I guess we'll have to wait for Kris on that one.

I figure I should do a recap if you don't feel like reading all of it:
Kassian with 1 assist, dangled for a great goal in the shootout
McNabb with 2 PIMs
Pysyk out with a minor injury, precautionary
Gauthier-Leduc played but didn't show up in any statistics

Links:
Day 2 Red/White summary
TSN article on day 2

Last edited by jfb392: 08-07-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old
08-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Bakes mentioned Gauthier-Leduc with a sick move in the shootout drills yesterday... maybe those Letang comparisons could hold closer if that's the case.

Thanks for the writeups. I didn't have the opportunity to watch either scrimmage nor tune in for any of the practice coverage. Even given the lines, Kassian may be a wildcard in all of this. I'm eager to see what Kris has to say regarding Pysyk after last night's performance with Despres too.

Old
08-08-2010, 05:04 AM
bib
#believe

Quote:
Coach Dave Cameron was not amused.

“I thought it was a spear that started it – I've got no time for that,” said Cameron. “The competitiveness I love.

“You're not going to win this tournament if you're undisciplined. It's just too close with too many teams. So hopefully it's a learning experience for our team.”
Looks like Kassian may potentially be headed home because of this incident. Thoughts? Fair or not?

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 07:25 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post
Looks like Kassian may potentially be headed home because of this incident. Thoughts? Fair or not?
I think too much is being made out of one quote. It can be spun in either direction.

It's also noteworthy that Red was throwing him out, double-shifting him in that game to get something going. He scored, he was bringing energy. The coach actually praises his competitiveness. *shrug* If Zack comes out of the gate with the Spits putting that sort of energy into his games, night on night, shift on shift, he'll be hard to leave off the roster.

Last edited by Chainshot: 08-08-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old
08-08-2010, 12:54 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
I absolutely did not take that out of the quote. At all. He likes the competitiveness, I'd just say this was more of a "don't do that" kind of thing. Solid offensive production early for the Spits and I think he's making the team, considering what he can bring outside of offensive production...

Side note: Brayden McNabb is probably my current favorite, most intriguing prospect. I think we have a ****ing gem there, especially if he can develop a consistent thump to his game. I like the development he has shown and I am very excited to see him. He could sneak here.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:11 PM
jfb392

Quote:
This camp is just for development, it doesn't determine the roster.
That one takes place in December, so it really depends on their junior season performance up to that point, and Kassian should perform very well.
The Spits are going to be depleted, with Cundari, Henrique, Nemisz, and Wellwood all likely going to the AHL because of their age, plus Hall, and possibly Ellis and Fowler in the NHL, so I expect he will have an increased offensive role.
I expect he'll look to recreate his draft year with the Petes, when he was just over a PPG player while still racking up PIMs.

Too much was made of the incident, especially if you watch TSN, but they have to have something to cover in the middle of the summer I guess..
He fits a specific role on the team and there is only really one other player I see as capable of filling it, and that's Brad Ross.
However, Kassian is more physically mature (and possibly mentally too) and I think he definitely has an edge over anyone else, regardless of behavior.

Old
08-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
KB posted a video link of Kassian from the shootout drills. Sweet move.