HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Opening night roster

Old
07-07-2010, 11:48 AM
dbhislife

vCash: 500
Opening night roster

So its been a while guys (I normally stick to the main part of the boards when commenting and just read peoples stuff around here) but the last few weeks have been extremely interesting. My curiosity is peaked....barring anything major, what do you predict to be our opening night roster? Here is mine:

Booth-Weiss-Frolik-- the best three guys we got on offense
Higgins-Matthias-Grabner-- Matthias gets his shot in the top 6
Olesz- Reino- Repik-- its got to be sink or swim time for Olesz
Dvo-Stillman- Bernier

Interesting to note...we only have 3 Centers as of today. Stillman has played C before though. Also worth noting we also have Dandanov, Bitz, and Taffe under contract. I really want Bitz in the lineup, but where do we put him?

McCabe-Kulikov-- the veteran with the future #1
Wideman-Garrison-- Offense and Defense
Ellerby-Allen-- whats left in all honesty
Paetsch

I see us letting Gubranson play a year in juniors unless he totally blows Ellerby away in the preseason. We cannot be running 4 kids who are either rookies or sophomores in the league

Tvo- I think we should move him but I don't think its happening
Clemmenson

Like? Hate? Lets hear it

dbhislife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Gudbranson44

not too shabby, but i dont think the 4th line will be the 4th line, probably that could be the 3rd line...
and i doubt ellerby will take paetsch's spot... pdb doesnt seem to trust him with more than 5 min/game

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 11:58 AM
dbhislife

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisournextbure View Post
not too shabby, but i dont think the 4th line will be the 4th line, probably that could be the 3rd line...
and i doubt ellerby will take paetsch's spot... pdb doesnt seem to trust him with more than 5 min/game
I have a few problems with this though:

1) Do we really want Repik on the 4th line? and Reino? I put them this way because Repik needs to play, I take Reino>stillman, and olesz needs minutes if we want any hope of him figuring things out.

2) If Ellerby is D-man #7 we really should let him play in Rochester. I flipped it because Paetsch's is older and more suited to be the extra player because we can play forward and d-man

dbhislife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Biggzy*

I think our opening night roster still hasn't been solidified.

There's possibly some more FA's to sign or some more trades to come. That combined with Tallon saying everyone will get a shot to make the team, no favorites, etc. It's tough to tell.

I'm happy with what Tallon's done so far though.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:14 PM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
I think our opening night roster still hasn't been solidified.

There's possibly some more FA's to sign or some more trades to come. That combined with Tallon saying everyone will get a shot to make the team, no favorites, etc. It's tough to tell.

I'm happy with what Tallon's done so far though.
This.

But in order to humor the nature of the thread, I like the D-pairings(with the exception of Ellerby - who will likely be demoted/replaced in the lineup with Paetsch).

For the forwards, I still foresee Taffe and Bitz making our roster, which goes back to Biggz's original point that some bodies will still be shipped out/signed.

TimHortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:28 PM
MickOlax

I think if this would be our opening night roster that our lineups would look like this for forwards:

1st line:
Booth-Weiss-Bernier

Bernier brings some physicality and balances this line. He can make room for Booth and Weiss by going to the dirty areas. He's also has a right-handed shot and if he could have a bounceback season, he could be a poor mans replacement for Horton.

2nd line:
Higgins-Matthias-Frolik

Higgins seems to be Tallons man in the second line and could be a 20+ goal guy if he finds his game and get's out of his snakebites. Matthias get's a good opportunity to play in the second line bringing some energy to the line along with Higgins. He and Higgins could do the dirty work while Frolik anchors the offensive game.

3rd line:
Stillman-Reinprecht-Grabner

A decent 3rd line imo with some good scoring potential. Stillman and Reinprech seem to have some chemistry and Grabner brings some speed and hopefully goalscoring to this line up. Stillman and Reino could use their playmaking skills and experience to feed Grabner some scoring chances and hopefully aid his developement.

4th line:
Olesz-Taffe-Bitz/Dvorak

This sucks because both Dvorak and Olesz would be mis-used. This is why there has to be some trades coming still. But at least this way, we could have balanced lines and would be able to basically roll 4 lines pretty evenly. We lack a real 1st line, but on the other hand we would have an above average third line (offensively at least), and same goes with the fourth line. Deboer has always said that he likes to roll 4 lines.

-L-

MickOlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:32 PM
MickOlax

Yet, like Biggzy amd TimHortons already said, this isn't going to be our opening night roster. We have too many 2nd-3rd liners right now especially wingers. Our offense will still be reshaped mark my words.

Tallon isn't done yet.

-L-

MickOlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:48 PM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickOlax View Post
I think if this would be our opening night roster that our lineups would look like this for forwards:

1st line:
Booth-Weiss-Bernier

Bernier brings some physicality and balances this line. He can make room for Booth and Weiss by going to the dirty areas. He's also has a right-handed shot and if he could have a bounceback season, he could be a poor mans replacement for Horton.

2nd line:
Higgins-Matthias-Frolik

Higgins seems to be Tallons man in the second line and could be a 20+ goal guy if he finds his game and get's out of his snakebites. Matthias get's a good opportunity to play in the second line bringing some energy to the line along with Higgins. He and Higgins could do the dirty work while Frolik anchors the offensive game.

3rd line:

A decent 3rd line imo with some good scoring potential. Stillman and Reinprech seem to have some chemistry and Grabner brings some speed and hopefully goalscoring to this line up. Stillman and Reino could use their playmaking skills and experience to feed Grabner some scoring chances and hopefully aid his developement.

4th line:
Olesz-Taffe-Bitz/Dvorak

This sucks because both Dvorak and Olesz would be mis-used. This is why there has to be some trades coming still. But at least this way, we could have balanced lines and would be able to basically roll 4 lines pretty evenly. We lack a real 1st line, but on the other hand we would have an above average third line (offensively at least), and same goes with the fourth line. Deboer has always said that he likes to roll 4 lines.

-L-
Well done. Looks like a some scoring/sandpaper on the top 2 lines and a decent bottom six. Looks like an almost respectable NHL lineup.

Old
07-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Laus723
Future Now

way too much time between now and then to think about these things just yet, imo.

And, I think it's very likely that Guds EARNS a spot on the roster.

07-07-2010, 01:05 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickOlax View Post

1st line:
Booth-Weiss-Bernier

2nd line:
Higgins-Matthias-Frolik

3rd line:

4th line:
Olesz-Taffe-Bitz/Dvorak

-L-
My lines as well ATM. Maybe replace Taffe with a UFA and that's about it. Grabner and Stillman on the same line would be nice if Stillman wasn't slow.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
My lines as well ATM. Maybe replace Taffe with a UFA and that's about it. Grabner and Stillman on the same line would be nice if Stillman wasn't slow.
Those lines look okay I guess except I think Mcardle, Dadanov, Duco, and Repik should have spots on this team. Mcardle was kickin' some arse before his injury, Duco brings speed, toughness and grit to our 4th line, Repik and Dadanov showed a lot of potential last season and I think it would stunt their growth to put them back in Roch, not to mention it was reported that Dadanov said he'd go back to Russia if he didn't make the team this year because he feels he deserves a spot in the NHL. I like what Stiller and Reino brought last season, especially with Frolik on their wing, but we really do have too many 2nd and 3rd line guys and our youth deserves a chance to play.

One quick question off topic, does anyone know if there is a Florida Panthers credit card out there? Maybe a Mastercard?? Thanks

Last edited by Pantherfan12: 07-07-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 06:54 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
Those lines look okay I guess except I think Mcardle, Dadanov, Duco, and Repik should have spots on this team. Mcardle was kickin' some arse before his injury, Duco brings speed, toughness and grit to our 4th line, Repik and Dadanov showed a lot of potential last season and I think it would stunt their growth to put them back in Roch, not to mention it was reported that Dadanov said he'd go back to Russia if he didn't make the team this year because he feels he deserves a spot in the NHL. I like what Stiller and Reino brought last season, especially with Frolik on their wing, but we really do have too many 2nd and 3rd line guys and our youth deserves a chance to play.

One quick question off topic, does anyone know if there is a Florida Panthers credit card out there? Maybe a Mastercard?? Thanks
I would expect to see McArdle in the lineup for sure, I dont know about Dadanov, Duco and Repik. I think they will be Amerks. Also, do you really think Dadanov will be a Panther just because he says so? I doubt it. If anything his comments will have Tallon holding the door for him as he leaves.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 09:03 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

...and all I see is ATL coming to town and sitting us on our ass.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
I would expect to see McArdle in the lineup for sure, I dont know about Dadanov, Duco and Repik. I think they will be Amerks. Also, do you really think Dadanov will be a Panther just because he says so? I doubt it. If anything his comments will have Tallon holding the door for him as he leaves.
You're right about the comments Dadonov left and that wasn't the reason I think he should be on the team, I just think that he along with Repik did play well for the latter part of the season and at very LEAST deserve a chance to make the team. The reason I said Duco (and I'm sure he'll be an Amerk come opening night) is because we have 0 toughness now with Nasty and Big Mac gone and he adds a lot of grit to our 4th line. He may not be the biggest guy or prize fighter we need, but he gives all he's got every shift he has and he isn't afraid to drop the gloves.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 10:21 AM
305Pantera

I, for one, am hoping our we don't go into the season with the current roster.

305Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:16 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Booth - Weiss - Frolik
Higgins - Matthias - Grabner
Stillman - Reinprecht - Bernier
Olesz - Bitz - Dadonov/(Dvorak)

Gudbranson - McCabe (Gudbrason righthanded shooter)
Wideman - Kulikov (Wideman righthanded shooter, thats why I would split Caber and Kuli)
Garrison - Allen
Paetsch

Vokoun
Clemmensen

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 03:06 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
And, I think it's very likely that Guds EARNS a spot on the roster.
What if he is clearly top 6 defenceman in camp but politics sends him Rochester/Juniors, i.e. players with oneway contracts stay with Panthers.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 03:16 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
Booth - Weiss - Frolik
Higgins - Matthias - Grabner
Stillman - Reinprecht - Bernier
Olesz - Bitz - Dadonov/(Dvorak)

Gudbranson - McCabe (Gudbrason righthanded shooter)
Wideman - Kulikov (Wideman righthanded shooter, thats why I would split Caber and Kuli)
Garrison - Allen
Paetsch

Vokoun
Clemmensen
McCabe and Kulikov should be split because they look like fumbling idiots together.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 04:47 PM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
What if he is clearly top 6 defenceman in camp but politics sends him Rochester/Juniors, i.e. players with oneway contracts stay with Panthers.

JOL
As our roster stands right now we only have 4 dmen on one-way deals(Allen, McCabe, Garrison & Wideman) and Kuli isn't going to Roch. Gudbranson has to beat out Ellerby(which shouldn't be hard considering where Keaton stands with Pete) and Paetsch. This is all assuming we don't sign/trade for any other d-men. I think Gudbranson is almost already ahead of Ellerby and that he'd have to just beat out Paetsch.

Also I think Tallon is a man of his word and his statement that "if you can play, you will" is going to prevail over aforementioned politics.

McCabe-Gudbranson
Wideman-Kulikov
Garrison-Allen

Last edited by TimHortons: 07-08-2010 at 06:28 PM. Reason: LH shots paired with RH shots
Old
07-08-2010, 05:48 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortons View Post
As our roster stands right now we only have 4 dmen on one-way deals(Allen, McCabe, Garrison & Wideman) and Kuli isn't going to Roch. Gudbranson has to beat out Ellerby(which shouldn't be hard considering where Keaton stands with Pete) and Paetsch. This is all assuming we don't sign/trade for any other d-men. I think Gudbranson is almost already ahead of Ellerby and that he'd have to just beat out Paetsch.

Also I think Tallon is a man of his word and his statement that "if you can play, you will" is going to prevail over aforementioned politics.

McCabe-Kuli
Wideman-Gudbranson
Garrison-Allen
If you have two righthanded shooters and two left, you should play one of each together. Thats why you put Guds and Caber, and Wideman with Kulikov.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 06:27 PM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
If you have two righthanded shooters and two left, you should play one of each together. Thats why you put Guds and Caber, and Wideman with Kulikov.
You know what you're absolutely right. Good catch. It has been amended.

Old
07-08-2010, 07:40 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
You're right about the comments Dadonov left and that wasn't the reason I think he should be on the team, I just think that he along with Repik did play well for the latter part of the season and at very LEAST deserve a chance to make the team. The reason I said Duco (and I'm sure he'll be an Amerk come opening night) is because we have 0 toughness now with Nasty and Big Mac gone and he adds a lot of grit to our 4th line. He may not be the biggest guy or prize fighter we need, but he gives all he's got every shift he has and he isn't afraid to drop the gloves.
Thats exactly why McArdle will get the job, plus he brings more offense.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Zoo

My lines Im using for NHL10 . . . .

Booth - Weiss - Bernier
Olesz - Frolik - Grabner
McFarland - Reinprecht - Higgins
Stillman - Matthias - Bitz

Wideman - McCabe
Gudbranson - Kulikov
Allen - Ellerby

Vokoun
Clemmensen

Zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Biggzy*

Anyone think Robak will make the team?

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:34 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
Anyone think Robak will make the team?
I doubt it but I think everyone would agree that anyone who earns a spot gets a spot. I don't think they have him penciled but I think he has as good as a shot as Guds.

He'll get some call up time for sure with injuries and possibly a trade or two at the deadline.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote