HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Who else is nervous about Redden?

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2008, 10:23 PM
NYRKing

vCash: 500
Who else is nervous about Redden?

When I think of Wade Redden, I think of a strong d-man who can shutdown good forwards and lead a team on the rush. When I think of Redden I think of the centerpiece of an Ottawa defense that made a great run for the cup a year ago. So, of course I was very excited to see that we added this guy to our team.

Well, I just don't know anymore. I really thought I knew a lot about this guy, but after hearing other fans around the league, especially in Ottawa, it almost feels like we signed a career minor leaguer to a Huge contract!!! Ok, maybe its not that bad, but I have heard some very tough things about Wade.

I knew the contract was for one too many years and he might of been paid a little more than expected, but thats just how free-agency works. I was little concerned about his point production falling off, but I tried to argue that hopefully he needs a change of scenery after being on a troubled Ottawa team. I knew he played with Spezza and Heatley, however I've seen thin guy play and he makes some great passes, and is still strong on the transition.

The complaints that really got to me, were the one's that said he was a man of zero emotion and a guy who can be careless in his own zone. Fans say he was a complete failure in the playoffs and he is now over the hill. I tried to argue that Gerber and Emery really hurt the team and some of the defensive failures of Redden should be placed on poor goal-tending. I was surprised to hear some people say "Emery and Gerber were a solid tandem that played poorly, but possibly suffered even more DUE to poor play from weak defenders like Redden."

I know that anything could happen this season, and hopefully Redden will be the #1 defender that we all want him to be. But, please, someone tell me that this guy isn't worthy of some of the things I've been hearing. Is Ottawa bitter over this past season and are fans just hating on another Ranger signing or is this guy a mistake waiting to happen?

Old
07-20-2008, 10:26 PM
PromNite
Cloud Strife

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
We've been over all this before.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
Old
07-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Kush

Redden has sucked for two full seasons now. If and only if he goes back to his pre contract (2 year 6.5 million per) form will his contract be worth it. If he plays anything like he did the last 2 seasons, you guys will be in trouble.

Old
07-20-2008, 10:57 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
I'm not worried. This guy has the skill set and the experience to know what works and what doesn't. I am not expecting him to be absolutely spectacular this year. I am expecting him to do better than Rozsival has the last few years. Being in NY may put more pressure on him and from the interviews that he had when he was introduced as a Ranger, he knows the pressure is on and he knows what he has to do to get back to a level that got him this kind of contract. Just let the man play and do his thing. If anything, all this stuff about him sucking the last 2 years will drive him to do better.

Old
07-20-2008, 10:58 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosschecker View Post
Redden has sucked for two full seasons now. If and only if he goes back to his pre contract (2 year 6.5 million per) form will his contract be worth it. If he plays anything like he did the last 2 seasons, you guys will be in trouble.
Not really. We aren't poor. We can just waive his ass if he sucks.

Old
07-20-2008, 11:06 PM
AverysGlasses

Send a message via Yahoo to AverysGlasses
There is reason to be a bit nervous about it, but I'm hoping the change of scenery will work well for Redden and he'll step it back up.

Old
07-20-2008, 11:24 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

*raised hand*

However, he is by leaps and bounds the team's #1 defenseman

Old
07-20-2008, 11:28 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Not nervous at all... Ottawa has been making this guy the scapegoat for their failures the past two seasons. Not saying that he has been playing like the Redden of old but IMO he's been more under the microscope and has taken some unfair share of the blame.

Hey if he's better than Toots this year (which he should be) then we upgraded our already strong defense.

Old
07-20-2008, 11:34 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

He's going to be awesome as a Ranger. Just Watch.

Same goes for The Nazgul

Old
07-20-2008, 11:45 PM
NYR Viper

im nor worried actually.....if renney can make players like malik into first pairing defenseman for extended periods of time, im sure redden will be fine......

he will put up points and help the transition game which was horrible last season

Old
07-20-2008, 11:57 PM
broadwayblue

just seems like a ton of money and years to be spending on a guy with a lot of question marks. i know there's a premium on dmen, but when you give out this kind of deal you should be totally psyched about the guy you're getting. i hope he's worth at least half his contract, or we could be in trouble.

Old
07-21-2008, 12:05 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
just seems like a ton of money and years to be spending on a guy with a lot of question marks. i know there's a premium on dmen, but when you give out this kind of deal you should be totally psyched about the guy you're getting. i hope he's worth at least half his contract, or we could be in trouble.
puck-moving defenseman never really lose their art....physical d-men wear down.....offensive defenseman get hurt(normally smaller guys).....puck-movers normally can play a long time.....not worried.....the defense needed a few things this offseason and redden covered 3 of the 4 i wanted.......puck-mover to help transition, pp qb, and a leader on defense........the only one he doesnt cover is a physical presence.....however i consider that a successful offseason as there were quite a few holes and he filled most of them....

Old
07-21-2008, 12:27 AM
TheHMan

Ottawa probably would have resigned him at 6.5 if he was actually living up to the expectations of his contact (being a #1 Defenseman). The best we could offer was around 3.5 million, and I'd actually consider that a generous offer based on the way he was playing.

He's made some good plays, but he stills makes a ton of risky turnovers via the stretch pass that happen often if the other team is paying attention. He tends to make these plays deep from his own zone as well and it might lead to odd man rushes. Does anyone remember when Spezza got clocked by the Islanders last year? That was from a suicide pass from Redden, and he's made plenty of others like that.

He's lost much of his speed and physicality already, all that's really left is his passing game. I really think the only reason why Ottawa was good on the transition is because Alfredsson, Heatley, Vermette and Fisher have amazing wheels and can quickly outpace Defenders from center ice. I'm not hating on Wade, but I think he's pretty questionable as a #1 Defenseman, that's an incredible stretch considering how little he was contributing to Ottawa's success. He's been second fiddle to Phillips and Volchenkov and really wasn't able to elevate his level of play late in the year when we lost of bunch of other players to injury. Barring an incredible comeback, I really get the feeling NY is going to be disappointed with him.

Old
07-21-2008, 12:42 AM
BklyNYR4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
He's going to be awesome as a Ranger. Just Watch.

Same goes for The Nazgul
Amen

Old
07-21-2008, 12:50 AM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Not really. We aren't poor. We can just waive his ass if he sucks.
The NMC doesnt prohibit this?

Old
07-21-2008, 02:00 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice View Post
The NMC doesnt prohibit this?
Did he get an NMC?

Old
07-21-2008, 04:25 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Did he get an NMC?
No. He got a limited no trade clause. He can be waived/bought out, but he can only be traded to 20 or so teams. He picks 8 (I think) teams each season which he cannot be traded to.

Old
07-21-2008, 04:30 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
hockeywise he is an upgrade over Malik, Poti and Aaron Ward no doubt.
But he is not a franchise Dman this club needed to go out and log PP, PK minutes, steady the defense and be the go to guy.
He is not a top 20/25 Dman in the league.
He is neither great defensively nor ranks he up there with the best offensive Dmen.

Offensively he is in the Rozsival range, defensively probably as well.
Fact is that given his salary ottawa found no room for him think they rate Mezaros, phillips and Volchenkov higher.....and he doesn't strike me as a leader

Old
07-21-2008, 04:37 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
puck-moving defenseman never really lose their art....physical d-men wear down.....offensive defenseman get hurt(normally smaller guys).....puck-movers normally can play a long time.....not worried.....the defense needed a few things this offseason and redden covered 3 of the 4 i wanted.......puck-mover to help transition, pp qb, and a leader on defense........the only one he doesnt cover is a physical presence.....however i consider that a successful offseason as there were quite a few holes and he filled most of them....
the issue here is that if we wanted a puck mover than there were at least 3 better options available - For my money I would have far preferred to have Campbell who is younger (since everyone here is crazy about youth!)

Streit, Visnovsky, Campbell were available and are far better offeinsively than Redden.

Old
07-21-2008, 04:51 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Streit, Visnovsky, Campbell were available and are far better offeinsively than Redden.
No question Campbell is better offensively, but defensively Redden gets the edge even if he continues declining.

Streit shouldn't even be in the same discussion as Campbell/Redden. People fail to acknowledge that Streit was barely even a defenseman for Montreal, something like half his points came when he was playing forward.

Visnovsky also gets the edge offensively, but had just as bad a year as Redden, is worse defensively, and would have cost assets to acquire.

Old
07-21-2008, 05:03 AM
free0717

meeeee. Wade had two lousy seasons and was rewarded with a 6 year 6.5 million dollar a year contract.

Old
07-21-2008, 05:07 AM
Cake or Death

After watching his play in Ottawa the last two seasons, I was expecting him to get a major pay cut and a short deal. He honestly looked very on par with Rozsival the last two seasons, except for the fact that Roszival outscored him in that time frame. I was honestly really shocked when we signed Redden, especially the price tag and length. Looked three years too long and about two million too high.

Old
07-21-2008, 05:14 AM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNYR4Life View Post
Amen
Is that the nickname for Naslund? Cuz if it is, AWESOME.

Old
07-21-2008, 06:16 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
No question Campbell is better offensively, but defensively Redden gets the edge even if he continues declining.

Streit shouldn't even be in the same discussion as Campbell/Redden. People fail to acknowledge that Streit was barely even a defenseman for Montreal, something like half his points came when he was playing forward.

Visnovsky also gets the edge offensively, but had just as bad a year as Redden, is worse defensively, and would have cost assets to acquire.
Visno played for the worst team in the NHL...

Old
07-21-2008, 06:18 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeHockeyFan View Post
After watching his play in Ottawa the last two seasons, I was expecting him to get a major pay cut and a short deal. He honestly looked very on par with Rozsival the last two seasons, except for the fact that Roszival outscored him in that time frame. I was honestly really shocked when we signed Redden, especially the price tag and length. Looked three years too long and about two million too high.
Bingo!
He has some major convincing to do. No wonder ottawa was not competing for him..

an important axiom to remember: you don't bet on a dud because you think he is about to change!

Closed Thread