HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How did you get into hockey and why the Flyers?

Old
08-08-2010, 12:31 PM
ihatebraydenschenn

vCash: 500
My dad was friends with Ed Hospador back in the day. He took me to games as a toddler and I even had a chance to go into the Flyer's locker room at the Spectrum during a game. Some players came back all bloodied but I vaguely remember the incident. And of course, growing up as a kid in the midst of the 90s helped fuel the Flyers fire. I really started obsessing over the Flyers when Gagne was drafted. I've been bleeding orange since then.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 12:33 PM
lancer247

My first sports memories as a 5 y/o was the Phillies losing to the Big Red Machine and the Flyers 1st SC.

I don't remember specific games but I remember them winning game 6 and then I remember being at the parade (Broad & Porter). After they won the next year I thought it would always be that way.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:00 PM
BernieParent

Why I got into hockey:
Because I'm Canadian. May as well as why I'm such a fan of breathing.

Why I am a fan of the Flyers:
They were the reigning Stanley Cup champions when I became interested in hockey back in '74-75.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:16 PM
2Claude2Giroux

Probably when I got NHL 97 as a kid. I always liked hockey but never watched any of the other teams. I started watching more of the league the year after the lockout.

2Claude2Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Walnut

First got into hockey after a friend at school started talking about it during an art class. I followed his lead initially a looked out for the Av's. They were his team because of a huge man crush he had on Joe Sakic. The next year I took part in a school exchange program which took me to Doylestown, PA. This was in October 97. Due to the close proximity of the town to Philly the sports media talked pretty much nothing but Flyers. When I got back to UK, I turned my back on the Avs and have bled orange and black ever since. I still remember being crushed upon hearing that Brind'Amour was traded.

Walnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

I learned to skate before I could run, basically grew up at the rink.
When I was 5-6 years old, a friend's older brother and his team flew across to the US to play in a tourney, they bought us kids NHL jerseys.
I got a Flyers one, the others got Leafs (hah, swing and a miss), Red Wings and Rangers. This was 20ish years ago.

Still have the jersey somewhere.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:08 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Started out a Red Wings fan in the mid-90's with Fedorov, Fetisov, Konstantinov, Larionov, and Kozlov....The Russian 5. Also was a huge fan of Yzerman and Osgood. First hockey memory I have was the Stanley Cup Finals in 1998 when they gave Konstantinov the cup after he had been in that tragic car accident. But I was never INTO hockey. Whenever it was on, I watched it periodically as a kid.

During the 1998-99 season, I bought a Lindros rookie card, which I think I still have to this day. My dad got me tickets to a Flyers Stars game and the final score was 3-3. I also got one of those keychains at the game with the little ice skating dudes on em (its a shame they stopped selling those). I was hooked ever since and the 2000 season, when I was 10, I started to follow hockey regularly. I mean there were still a few rules here and there that I didnt understand, and I didnt know who was leading each conference or the points leaders of each team, but I made it a ritual to watch as many Flyers games that I could.

And the rest is history, as they say.

Have never looked back, and dont plan on it either.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:21 PM
MsWoof

I was a Leafs fan from 1962 when I was born until 1974 when I realized they'd always screw over the fans because every game was a sell out and they didn't have to have good teams. I fell in love with Bobby Clarke and the Flyers in 1974 and realized I'd have to make the switch and I'd have to stay with the team I chose so that the taunts of "traitor" would wear off after a few years. I barely remember those Leaf years now! I think that if I'd have stuck with them I'd have lost interest in hockey altogether, so it was one of the best decisions I've made in my life. I can't imagine having no hockey and more specifically, no Flyers to watch!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:42 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Eric Lindros/Ron Hextall.

Being born in the late 80's allowed Lindros to make a HUGE impact on me. I remember watching him when I was younger and wanting to play hockey so bad. I begged my parents to sign me up ("its too physical, we don't want you to get hurt!"...then I break both my legs soccer years later). I played roller hockey with my friends and brother all the time.

My dad helped my love of Hextall grow. He told me all the stories about him and as a kid I thought he was sooo badass. I wanted to be a goalie so bad because of him. I loved his style of play. So unique for a goalie. My dad used to even give me 5 bucks every time I got a yellow card in soccer because he wanted me to be more fiery and aggressive.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
this is a great thread, there are a lot of cool stories in here.

ive been a hockey fan my entire life. i don't know why, or remember why, but it's always been my favorite sport. my parents are from philadelphia, and did their best to brainwash me into loving philly teams...it worked pretty well, except the redskins winning the superbowl the year i started public school made me a skins fan. my dad considers it to be a disasterous mistake that he allowed that to happen.

unfortunately, growing up in richmond meant that i only saw flyers games when i visited philly or when the playoffs rolled around. my two favorite memories from that era are the 2000 playoffs (i still have a t-shirt for it, that i wear a lot...its pretty ratty by now haha) and desjardins hitting kasparitis with a puck, because kasparitis was roughing up one of the smaller flyers.

growing up in richmond meant that street hockey was generally a rarity. i got a bunch of kids in the neighborhood into it, but it was an interesting affair...a lot of kids didnt own skates, so i often had to forgo wearing mine, because it sucks to try and hit someone planted firmly on their feet.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:55 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

Since my post would end up being quoted "tl;dr" ill just give it in a few sentences.

John Leclair becomes the first ever (and only; Graham Mink is undrafted) VT born player drafted in NHL by the Habs in the 2nd round in 1987

Born into habs family 3 years later in Leclair's hometown in VT

Leclair Wins the cup with the Habs another 3 years later.

traded to Flyers when I was 5

Been a Flyers ever since (15 years)

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 06:46 PM
JGalt

I was like 8 years old when the arrival of 88 happened to coincide with the local rink getting majorly renovated. Pretty much all the kids my age joined the local youth hockey team and I've been hooked ever since. No one in my family were hockey fans, but I have them mostly converted at this point.

JGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:01 PM
ashamsmashem

my dad and uncles grew up watching the broad street bullies and are still huge fans, so i was kind of born into it. i played a lot of the EA nhl games growing up too and that's where my extensive knowledge of players/stats comes from. collected a lot of hockey cards as a kid too.

ashamsmashem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Gordie Howe Headlock

In the 94th year of our Lord Stanely Cup, I was a child and the hockey gods bestowed uponed me the mylec-iticus! From that day forward I vowed to learn, play and teach the game of hockey to every open ear!

In kindergarten (1987) I found a mylec stick in front of my house. I remember picking it up and having a vague idea of what it was and how to use it. Neither of my parents were into sports all that much, but I wanted to know more about the stick and the game of hockey. Being from Phila I started watching flyers games - I remember being on the phone with my uncle while watching the flyers play asking what a "power play" or "off-side" was.

The following year I joined an organized foot hockey league and went to my first Flyers game. We played the Oilers and I still have the ticket (i actually have all the tickets to all the games i've been to). Roughly two years later in 3rd grade i started taking learn how to skate lessons and power skating lessons. By that summer I was playing organized ice hockey. By that time hockey was my life. I played all year round on ice, feet and eventually roller skates. I also became a hockey "nerd". In grade school we had to visit the library once a week, I would take out the same 5-10 old, 1950's - 70's hockey books - I read all about the greats.

Hockey has been a big part of my life, I met some of my good friends through playing.

Gordie Howe Headlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Larry44

Growing up in Hamilton, naturally hated the Leafs (from CFL TigerCats vs. Argonauts rivalry). I cheered for Montreal when I was little, Jean Beliveau, Jacques Lemaire and Ken Dryden (also born in Hamilton) were my heroes.

Then I saw Bobby Clarke star for Team Canada in the '72 Summit Series and I've been a Flyer fan ever since. Didn't hurt that they won the Cup twice right away and everyone hated them. Not much has changed....except the 'winning the Cup part.'

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 02:51 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Every summer these threads pop up, but it's always fun to hear the stories again...

My hockey story is similar to many other Canadians: I was skating as soon as I could walk and played hockey almost year round from the age of 5 to 17. A couple years I had soccer commitments made me take a break for a few months.

My father grew up in Chatham with Bonnie and Carl Lindros, though my dad was a couple years younger and was closer to Carl's brother Paul. They had lost touch for some time until Eric came through Kingston (where I grew up) with St. Mike's; my dad reconnected with the Lindros family and Eric instantly became my hockey idol with the way he dominated the junior hockey ranks. I got to meet him several times as a kid (Eric's 8 years older than I am) and he always was really kind to me, as was the rest of the Lindros family... especially Bonnie.

Eric led me to Philly and I became attached, partly because Eric ended up on the two teams I hate most right after the Flyers (the Rangers and the Leafs) and partly because, through some crazy coincidence, two of my other favourite junior hockey players ended up Flyers' draftees (Gagne and Carter).

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 10:14 PM
phillyfanatic

Great thread!

My brother was a flyer fan andmy dad was a hab fan. As a kid, I played street hockey from sun up to sun down. I was younger and my brother would get me in fights daily. He loved that I was always game to go even against his friends. To me, it was always about trying to impress him...

Well it worked and we became best of friends. He and I would watch any flyer game that we could get, never an exception....if they were on (4-8 times a season) we would watch. In French against the habs, whatever! Loved lindros and leclair, those guys were amazing. Now, I see 82 games a year and still have the same passion fir the game. Fan of other sports, but the flyers are my team!!!

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 02:58 PM
facts

an old teammate of mine, his Dad was a neighbor of Tim Kerr so we used to get all the old stories, that and I hated the Oilers
- Rick St. Croix is from my hometown and the first guy to "make it" in my day
_ I played Pee Wee with Chris Pronger
- I know Mike Richards and his brothers well
It is weird but I have always admired the hard work that went along with the team, the hard luck and the effort guys such as Sutter Podien I love everything about this team

facts is offline   Reply With Quote