HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kovalchuk to Devils UPD: Arbitrator rules in NHL's favor, Kovy UFA again, Post #701+

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2010, 10:54 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
That doesn't really surprise me. Still waiting for that response to the original question. How long can you avoid it?
I'll avoid it for about..say....17 Years.

Old
08-08-2010, 10:56 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Korean Kid 23 View Post
What question needs to be answered?
He wants me to explain what has already been explained : Why I think the Deal should be good..blahblahblahblah. As if the millions of explanations by others weren't enough. Oy.

Old
08-08-2010, 10:57 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
He wants me to explain what has already been explained : Why I think the Deal should be good..blahblahblahblah. As if the millions of explanations by others weren't enough. Oy.
He hasn't answered my question either. What part of the contract is against the rules?

Old
08-08-2010, 10:58 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Then I guess we both have something in common. Who Knew?

Old
08-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Czech Trio

posting in potential epic thread for Devils fans

Old
08-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gio14 View Post
posting in potential epic thread for Devils fans
I wish you guys would stop counting the chickens before they hatched.

Old
08-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Oh yeah I almost forgot. The arbitrator ruling is tomorrow.

Old
08-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Officer Rod Farva
Fire Pete DeBoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
I wish you guys would stop counting the chickens before they hatched.
this

Old
08-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Czech Trio

potiental

Who is Dagoon anyway?

Old
08-08-2010, 11:21 PM
ChicoEats
Formerly Ziggyluc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Yeah, no you didn't answer any questions. You spat out nothing about how you feel the contract is fair, "I love Kovalchuk", blah, blah, blah. You give no explination about why YOU feel the deal should be good. We'll wait why you read through countless of websites and twitter accounts and copy & paste crap that is out there.
I'm sure you are the kind of guy that would be knocking this deal if the Kings signed him to it. Oh wait, I'm sorry, the Kings actually give contracts that obide by the rules.
Didn't the Kings offer Kovalchuk a 15 year deal?

Old
08-08-2010, 11:31 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyluc View Post
Didn't the Kings offer Kovalchuk a 15 year deal?
13 year, 80 million dollar, bell curve contract.

Old
08-08-2010, 11:34 PM
ChicoEats
Formerly Ziggyluc

I just have one thing to say about this whole situation.

"Is only game. Why you have to be mad?"

Old
08-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Czech Trio

Quote:
Oh wait, I'm sorry, the Kings actually give contracts that obide by the rules.
If the Kings signed Kovalchuk to a 17 year contract you guys would be saying its ok against, well, Devil fans who say it circumvents the cap. And if the Devils signed Kovalchuk to a 17 year contract us Devils fans will say it is ok. While Kings fans would say it circumvents the cap. The end matter is the Devils may be the ones saying its ok, while you will argue or do whatever. If it was the other way around it would be the same way. It would be the same for any two teams and 95% of it fans. If Dean Lombardi signed Ilya Kovalchuk to a 17 year deal before the Devils I bet you wouldn't say its against the rules and we'd be saying it is(most of us).

Old
08-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Orenji

If the deal stands, then that just means Stamkos/Doughty are gonna get 20-year-deals before the CBA is fixed and be locked up for life.

Old
08-08-2010, 11:36 PM
CerebralGenesis

So the kings 80 mill 15 year contract is a lot better for 2 years less... give me a break....

It's the same contract except you skimped out and offered him less money. Ditto to Frolov. Way to show the rest of us how it should be done

Old
08-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Orenji

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
So the kings 80 mill 15 year contract is a lot better for 2 years less... give me a break....

It's the same contract except you skimped out and offered him less money. Ditto to Frolov. Way to show the rest of us how it should be done

Old
08-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
The contract isn't fair. But the contract does abide by the rules. And until the rules are changed, teams have taken advantage of them, are taking advantage of them, and will continue to take advantage of them. Teams do what's in their best interests. Period.

If my team did anything less, then I would be pissed.

If you want to be angry at anyone, be angry at the league for underestimating aggressive owners/GMs during the last CBA negotiations. Clearly the NHL negotiators thought no one would be stupid/bold enough to run with ridiculously long contracts. Just as clearly, they were wrong. So it goes.
As the old saying goes:

Old
08-09-2010, 12:01 AM
sjmay*

Quote:

4 years less actually, it never was a 15 year deal, it was 13, it also never had 6 years at league minimum which is the cause for it being challenged, imo.

Old
08-09-2010, 12:23 AM
Martyros

Quote:

First of all, it was 13 years; second, he would be getting 1 million in his last couple of years.....well above the minimum....as for New Jersey's offer, he's getting the league minimum for 6 years! I don't care if this contract is voided or accepted...just get it over with...and either way, Doughty is not going to be signed to an outrageous 15-25 year deal....Lombardi and co. won't offer that many years.

Old
08-09-2010, 12:24 AM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
If the deal stands, then that just means Stamkos/Doughty are gonna get 20-year-deals before the CBA is fixed and be locked up for life.
If the owner/player are willing to sign a two-decade contract, more power to them. And you could hopefully add Parise to that list.

Old
08-09-2010, 01:23 AM
Crimson Devil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
Good luck convincing Doughty to commit to the Kings (not exactly an annual playoff powerhouse team) for such a long duration.

Weird that people are so angry that the Devils get Kovy for 17 years, but are okay with their stars getting locked up for longer deals. Oh, the double standards of HF.

Old
08-09-2010, 01:39 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Devil View Post
Good luck convincing Doughty to commit to the Kings (not exactly an annual playoff powerhouse team) for such a long duration.

Weird that people are so angry that the Devils get Kovy for 17 years, but are okay with their stars getting locked up for longer deals. Oh, the double standards of HF.
Double standards?

I don't think it means what you think it means,

Double Standards would be if NJ fans got pissed that stars like Doughty and Stamkos got signed long term etc.

Double Standards would not be if fans see the Kovalchuk deal passes, then wanting that type of contract for their stars.

As far as good luck getting Doughty to sign long term, I don't think you realize how much of a fan he was of LA before he was drafted by them, I don't think you realize how much he loves playing for LA, and I really don't think you realize just how good LA will become in the next 2-3 years,

But let me ask you this, Crosby and Malkin, along with Kane, Keith and Toews all signed long term deals with their respective clubs, well before they became annual contenders, so why don't you think Doughty would?

Old
08-09-2010, 01:49 AM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Korean Kid 23 View Post
He hasn't answered my question either. What part of the contract is against the rules?
The broadly defined part that basically says "NHL clubs may not circumvent the salary cap".

Maybe they shouldn't have allowed the Luongo/Hossa deals, but they did and the Kovy deal pushed the limits much farther - more years at a lower salary to an older age. They HAD to draw the line somewhere, or the next contract would take a player to age 46, 47.. with 7-8 years.. at league minimum salary... It just so happened to be Kovalchuk's deal that they said "okay, this is too far". Deal with it.

Old
08-09-2010, 02:07 AM
Crimson Devil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Double standards?

I don't think it means what you think it means,

Double Standards would be if NJ fans got pissed that stars like Doughty and Stamkos got signed long term etc.

Double Standards would not be if fans see the Kovalchuk deal passes, then wanting that type of contract for their stars.

As far as good luck getting Doughty to sign long term, I don't think you realize how much of a fan he was of LA before he was drafted by them, I don't think you realize how much he loves playing for LA, and I really don't think you realize just how good LA will become in the next 2-3 years,

But let me ask you this, Crosby and Malkin, along with Kane, Keith and Toews all signed long term deals with their respective clubs, well before they became annual contenders, so why don't you think Doughty would?
Kovalchuk was a first overall pick, once upon a time. Now eight seasons after being the heart and soul of Atlanta, and accomplishing nothing, he's now a Jersey boy. There are obviously some players that will stay because they're comfortable. I don't really see LA as a Pittsburgh/Chicago team, even if their prospects pan out.

If this experience has proved anything, it's that what star players say to the media and what they think are two different things.

Old
08-09-2010, 02:14 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Devil View Post
Kovalchuk was a first overall pick, once upon a time. Now eight seasons after being the heart and soul of Atlanta, and accomplishing nothing, he's now a Jersey boy. There are obviously some players that will stay because they're comfortable. I don't really see LA as a Pittsburgh/Chicago team, even if their prospects pan out.

If this experience has proved anything, it's that what star players say to the media and what they think are two different things.
What does Kovalchuk having been a first overall pick have anything to do with what you said?

LA is about a 2 elite players away from being a Chicago/Pittsburgh team, kind of like what Chicago was when Toews signed long term etc,

As far as what players say to the media and what they think are two different things, ever wonder why people don't believe Kovalchuk when he said he would play until he was 44? Yea, me neither.

Closed Thread