HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kovalchuk to Devils UPD: Arbitrator rules in NHL's favor, Kovy UFA again, Post #701+

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2010, 02:26 AM
Oxim Oresi

vCash: 500
Rumours are that Chelios will be back soon with a new 20-year contract.

Old
08-09-2010, 02:36 AM
Timzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post

As far as good luck getting Doughty to sign long term, I don't think you realize how much of a fan he was of LA before he was drafted by them, I don't think you realize how much he loves playing for LA, and I really don't think you realize just how good LA will become in the next 2-3 years,

But let me ask you this, Crosby and Malkin, along with Kane, Keith and Toews all signed long term deals with their respective clubs, well before they became annual contenders, so why don't you think Doughty would?
Why didn't LeBron stay in Cleveland?

its a huge gamble for any athlete to commit his career to one team, especially in a single negotiation. You may never get a chance to win, you have to have a lot of faith in management to ice a solid team.

I think Doughty would give the Kings a long term deal, but being so young, not sure he would go for a 20 or 23 year deal. I am sure something like 8 - 10 year would be do-able, but the cap hit can't really be softened for those years. With the CBA due to change, not sure if the Kings will be able to use this loophole effectively, doughty is too good and too young.

Old
08-09-2010, 02:41 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timzey View Post
Why didn't LeBron stay in Cleveland?

its a huge gamble for any athlete to commit his career to one team, especially in a single negotiation. You may never get a chance to win, you have to have a lot of faith in management to ice a solid team.

I think Doughty would give the Kings a long term deal, but being so young, not sure he would go for a 20 or 23 year deal. I am sure something like 8 - 10 year would be do-able, but the cap hit can't really be softened for those years. With the CBA due to change, not sure if the Kings will be able to use this loophole effectively, doughty is too good and too young.
Doubt the Kings would even try, they didn't with Kopitar.

I can easily see Doughty signing a 12 year deal, takes him to 32, then moving on if the Kings aren't winning/where he wants etc.

Old
08-09-2010, 06:52 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Quote:
4 years less actually, it never was a 15 year deal, it was 13, it also never had 6 years at league minimum which is the cause for it being challenged, imo.
you know the exact $ amounts of the 13 years?

yes, your GM says it was a bell curve and there is no reason not to believe that, but that doesn't mean that the $ in yr 1 was the same as the $ in yr 13.

Old
08-09-2010, 07:26 AM
Robert Theodorson

Today's the big day everybody

Old
08-09-2010, 07:30 AM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Who's ready for a decision, baby?

Old
08-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

"Don't worry about my Kovy"

Old
08-09-2010, 07:57 AM
alpine4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
monday 11am est based upon a tweet from a legit source on friday
THX

Old
08-09-2010, 08:03 AM
ConnNJ30

Quote:
Double standards?

I don't think it means what you think it means,

Double Standards would be if NJ fans got pissed that stars like Doughty and Stamkos got signed long term etc.

Double Standards would not be if fans see the Kovalchuk deal passes, then wanting that type of contract for their stars.

As far as good luck getting Doughty to sign long term, I don't think you realize how much of a fan he was of LA before he was drafted by them, I don't think you realize how much he loves playing for LA, and I really don't think you realize just how good LA will become in the next 2-3 years,

But let me ask you this, Crosby and Malkin, along with Kane, Keith and Toews all signed long term deals with their respective clubs, well before they became annual contenders, so why don't you think Doughty would?
Crosby and Malkin are not signed to long term deals. Crosby's contact expires in 2013 and Malkin a year later. Crosby will be 26 and Malkin will be 27 I think. That's hardly signing a career contract deal. Yeah they signed a decent length contract early on , but that doesn't carry them into their retirement. That being said I do think Crosby will be a penguin for life, but if the pens had never formed into a consistent contender and playoff team, it is unlikely that he would sign to stay their for his entire career. A young player wants to win a cup, and if his first team isn't getting it done don't think that he won't move to try and win. Most if not all superstars want to play for a team that gives them the best chance of winning. If the Kings do become a consistent playoff team, I'd expect Doughty to sign a long deal that might carry him into his late 20's but don't think he will sign for his entire career. Players want the option of possibly changing teams and signing to a contender if they haven't won anything up to that point in their careers. Example: Hossa.

Old
08-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Shwag33

Well as a hockey fan I hope this contract gets rejected. As a pens fan if it doesnt get rejected it could mean Crosby @ a 5 mill cap hit for the rest of his career...

Malkins contract goes one year to late so the new CBA will be fixed, but could you imagine Crosby/Malkin with a 10 mill a year total cap hit.... wouldnt even be fair.

Old
08-09-2010, 08:35 AM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
Well as a hockey fan I hope this contract gets rejected. As a pens fan if it doesnt get rejected it could mean Crosby @ a 5 mill cap hit for the rest of his career...

Malkins contract goes one year to late so the new CBA will be fixed, but could you imagine Crosby/Malkin with a 10 mill a year total cap hit.... wouldnt even be fair.
being able to sign high priced free agents does not a good team make

Old
08-09-2010, 08:45 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Got no idea why it has not been annonced yet

Old
08-09-2010, 08:53 AM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Quote:
no official statement from Bloch?

Old
08-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Xander Crews
Genius Poster

Quote:
Cause its not even 10am yet (not even 7am for our western conference counterparts)... hes not jumping out of bed and running down the steps to phone in his answer.

This is work not Christmas morning.

Old
08-09-2010, 09:15 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander Crews View Post
Cause its not even 10am yet (not even 7am for our western conference counterparts)... hes not jumping out of bed and running down the steps to phone in his answer.

This is work not Christmas morning.
seriously. us fans are waiting on the edge of our seats for an announcement, but the guy is probably just going about his daily business. he probably just got to work about 15 min ago and his intern hasn't even gotten him his coffee yet.

Old
08-09-2010, 09:20 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

it was reported on saturday that the decision was coming out at 11am est maybe it 11 pst

Old
08-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Xander Crews
Genius Poster

Quote:
it was reported on saturday that the decision was coming out at 11am est maybe it 11 pst
Well we will find out in 40 minutes lol... its 10:20 est right now.

Old
08-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Shwag33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
being able to sign high priced free agents does not a good team make

It does if you have a good GM and spends his money wisely. Opening up about 4 more mill a year is the difference of the pens having, amazing centers with avg wingers, vs amazing centers with terrible wingers.

Old
08-09-2010, 09:25 AM
alpine4life

Quote:
Quote:
monday 11am est based upon a tweet from a legit source on friday
You're the one that told me the time/date on that one. Isnt it only like 10h20AM right now in NYC?

Old
08-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Ahh the anticipation is killing me! Not because I care what happens to Kovy but all the blocked up trades/signings that aren't happening BECAUSE Kovy isn't signed!

Old
08-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Risotto

are we having a one hour special on ESPN called the Decision?

Old
08-09-2010, 09:33 AM
nally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
What are some potential definitions and rule changes to prevent these contracts?

Contract length limit?
Stricter rules on how much year to year salary can change?
Retired contracts don't come off the books?
Actual salary counts against the cap?
I think that if you have a rule that states that salary from one year to the next can fluctuate a max of 20% of the previous years salary. Thats up or down.

Example...

If the salary for year one is 5 million than the salary for year two has to be no lower than 4 million or no more than 6 million. This sliding scale makes sense and prevents ridiculous front/bottom loaded contracts.

This prevents circumvention. Though many GM's would scoff at the lack of flexibility, it sort of saves them from themselves and keeps things fair for both parties, players and GM's. This also prevents salary cap circumvention.

I can't really think of any issues with doing such a thing, but if you guys could find some flaws in my thinking, I would love to hear them.

Old
08-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Darth Bangkok

11AM? closure baby!

Old
08-09-2010, 09:36 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
So.. without readind the other 5-6 threads on the subject.. what's happening in the world of nhlpa vs nhl ?

Old
08-09-2010, 09:38 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 50
Quote:
BREAKING NEWS: Kovalchuk announcement postponed until end of week, due to legal technicalities.
take that

Closed Thread