HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

SCF Gm.3: Tampa Bay Lightning @ Calgary Flames l Flames 3-0 l Flames Lead 2-1

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-29-2004, 08:54 PM
  #101
Flamin' Griz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kov
Griz, really, no matter what anybody says you seem to find something to get pissed about tonight.
Just tired of the crap that gets posted here.

The Flames are lucky.
The Flames have one good player.
'
It's not intelligent hockey discussion. It's sour grapes. So I'm using my best sarcasm to point it out, and deservedly so.

Flamin' Griz is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 08:55 PM
  #102
Flamin' Griz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
By Bill Watters. Nuff' said.
By a bunch of Lightning fans as well.

Flamin' Griz is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 08:56 PM
  #103
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin' Griz
So the Flames were lucky that Richards missed and Donovan was lucky to score?

How exactly does that work?

I'm wondering just how much more pathetic the phenomenon of believing the Flames are where they are purely by luck will become. It's ridiculous already.

I left out one line that I had intended to put in. Calgary is capitalizing on their chances, no matter how sparse they are. That's why the win.

The Flames aren't where they are by luck. No, it plays a major, major, major part in who goes where, but it's not a big deal. No team wins the Cup without a good bit of luck. Where would the Lightning be if they had to withstand the injuries that beset many of the other playoff teams? If the Sens didn't have the misfortune of having their goaltender have a bad stretch, where would they be? Winning championships in sports is a good bit of luck. Now, you can't diminish someone's accomplishments just because they got a lucky break here or there. Calgary is here for many reasons and luck is just one of them. They are here because they play a tight checking defense crafted for playoff hockey. They are here because they have had many players step up their games in key situations. They are here because they have made the most of their chances. Most importantly, they are here because they deserve to be.

Now quit your whining and realize how lucky you are. You are cheering on a championship hockey team. There are fans of 28 other teams in this league wishing they could do the same.

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 08:57 PM
  #104
Colorado_Starsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 226
vCash: 500
Flamin' -

Calgary has two good players. Give them a little credit.

Colorado_Starsfan is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 08:58 PM
  #105
Flamin' Griz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I left out one line that I had intended to put in. Calgary is capitalizing on their chances, no matter how sparse they are. That's why the win.

The Flames aren't where they are by luck. No, it plays a major, major, major part in who goes where, but it's not a big deal. No team wins the Cup without a good bit of luck. Where would the Lightning be if they had to withstand the injuries that beset many of the other playoff teams? If the Sens didn't have the misfortune of having their goaltender have a bad stretch, where would they be? Winning championships in sports is a good bit of luck. Now, you can't diminish someone's accomplishments just because they got a lucky break here or there. Calgary is here for many reasons and luck is just one of them. They are here becaues they play a tight checking defense crafted for playoff hockey. They are here because they have had many players step up their games in key situations. They are here because they have made the most of their chances. Most importantly, they are here because they deserve to be.

Now quit your whining and realize how lucky you are. You are cheering on a championship hockey team. There are fans of 28 other teams in this league wishing they could do the same.
Thank you. Nice to see someone give credit where credit is due. Finally.

Flamin' Griz is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 08:58 PM
  #106
kolanos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,515
vCash: 500
Not only did Regehr prevent the pass from happening on that play and allowing his goalie to focus on the shooter without question -- but it immediately went back the other way and resulted in a goal for the Flames. And the giveaway wasn't his -- but whatever.

I am convinced the Flames will never get any credit, deserved or otherwise -- people will keep finding excuses. That's fine, they don't need it, they probably don't even want it. There's only one thing they want.

kolanos is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 08:59 PM
  #107
Flamin' Griz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Starsfan
Flamin' -

Calgary has two good players. Give them a little credit.
No, they have a team full of good players who play as a TEAM.

They have two stars.

Flamin' Griz is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 09:00 PM
  #108
kov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin' Griz
Just tired of the crap that gets posted here.

The Flames are lucky.
The Flames have one good player.
'
It's not intelligent hockey discussion. It's sour grapes. So I'm using my best sarcasm to point it out, and deservedly so.
Remember that guy Soya-Sauce-Chicken last year? Everyone was incredulous that Anaheim could keep on winning and he just laughed his way through the whole thing. I'm not telling you the way you should take it, but it looks to me like he had a lot more fun than you're having.

kov is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 09:01 PM
  #109
Colorado_Starsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 226
vCash: 500
No they have a team of mediocre players that play extremely well as a team. They have two excellent players.

Colorado_Starsfan is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 09:01 PM
  #110
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin' Griz
Thank you. Nice to see someone give credit where credit is due. Finally.

No problem, don't be so hypersensitive. I could write a 5 page report on why Calgary shouldn't be there. I could ignore many aspects and whine about how Calgary is here because they are lucky and Calgary is here because they don't call holding in the playoffs. Then I could turn it around and find two reasons to whine about Tampa being in the finals. I can go back in time and whine about the Wings winning the Cup or Dallas. I could go on and on. Flames fans need to sit back and soak this all in. Finals runs are hard to come by and it's not unreasonable to think this might be the last one for Calgary for several seasons. Bad luck could get the best of them or just poor play. Don't take this for granted. It won't happen every year. Just sit back and enjoy.

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 09:01 PM
  #111
HF-Addict
Registered User
 
HF-Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Starsfan
Flamin' -

Calgary has two good players. Give them a little credit.
Well I think you can't play the "innocent" card anymore. You just proves what Flames fans thought about your real intentions. Keep playing the sarcasm/troll card to keep the fire burning

HF-Addict is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 09:02 PM
  #112
kolanos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,515
vCash: 500
Erin Andrews almost being taller than Stillman cracks me up. Give Stillman credit, she probably had heels on.

kolanos is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 09:02 PM
  #113
Hockeyfan02
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pistivity
Country: United States
Posts: 14,168
vCash: 500
Lightning stopped skating that period and the Flames are gonna win that battle everytime. Lightning had a couple golden oppertunities to take the lead and didnt capatilize where the Flames have scored on their oppertunities. Brilliant save by Kiprusoff on Richards' break. I've got confidence the Lghtning can tie this up but they better get their act together and fast.

Hockeyfan02 is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 09:02 PM
  #114
Flames 1st pick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Starsfan
Flamin' -

Calgary has two good players. Give them a little credit.
Yup...the best forward in the world and also the best goalie in the world.

LOL....I think they have the best 3rd line in the world also.

Flames 1st pick is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 09:03 PM
  #115
sehnsucht
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 614
vCash: 500
Quote:
LMAO...do you know how many breakaway goals Donovan has scored this year? Diving to get a FLAMES PP would be STUPID!
haha thats so true, especially the last part. And so sad at the same time

so which plugging, grinding team outshot and outscored the big offensive mighty superior powerhouse in the second? which played wide open hockey in the offensive and neutral zones?


Quote:
Jesus Flamin'. Khabibulin is sucking tonight. Period. That's just the way it is tonight. He isn't being a difference maker. And Kiprusoff is.
yea, donovans 2-1 and beautiful shot was complete luck. No goalie would have stopped that shot. I wonder when people will actually give credit to the flames

sehnsucht is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 09:04 PM
  #116
Colorado_Starsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 226
vCash: 500
What are my intentions? Seriously, they have two good players in Iginla and Kiprusoff. What they do have is a system they play very well, kind of like Anaheim last year.

They are scrappy, and they play ugly hockey. But they make the most of their chances. That can get a team very far. I wouldn't want to play them simply because of the bruising, frustrating style they play.

Colorado_Starsfan is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 09:05 PM
  #117
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan
Yup...the best forward in the world and also the best goalie in the world.

LOL....I think they have the best 3rd line in the world also.
Well, that's very, very debateable. But they aren't a team full of average players. Now, they aren't Detroit but your kidding yourself (not you Dallas Flames Fan, the other guy) if you don't think players like Conroy and Regehr are well above average. They have a lot of average hockey players. They have a lot of good hockey players and they have a few great hockey players. But they have something Colorado or Nashville (had to throw my team in there) or Dallas or Philly don't have and that's a chance at the Stanley Cup.

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 09:05 PM
  #118
Flamin' Griz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan
Yup...the best forward in the world and also the best goalie in the world.

LOL....I think they have the best 3rd line in the world also.
You could be right, because that third line has stepped up in the Stanley Cup Playoffs and has become a very effective second line.

I think that's the mark of a great third line.

Flamin' Griz is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 09:07 PM
  #119
Flamin' Griz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Starsfan
What are my intentions? Seriously, they have two good players in Iginla and Kiprusoff. What they do have is a system they play very well, kind of like Anaheim last year.

They are scrappy, and they play ugly hockey. But they make the most of their chances. That can get a team very far. I wouldn't want to play them simply because of the bruising, frustrating style they play.
I disagree that they play ugly hockey, though they are capable of playing an ugly game if need be.

The Flames have scored way too many transition goals this year to be labelled ugly IMO.

Flamin' Griz is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 09:10 PM
  #120
Colorado_Starsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 226
vCash: 500
Okay, it's ugly compared to a style like Tampa, Colorado, Detroit, and most of the teams with the "star" players play. But hey, it works for your team, and you are at least playing for the Cup.

Colorado has infinitely more skill position players for example, but they lacked the heart and desire to get this far. Same could be said for many teams this year.

Colorado_Starsfan is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 09:14 PM
  #121
kolanos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,515
vCash: 500
The thing about the Flames is that they have four capable lines. They're not all offensive dynamos or anything -- but they can outplay the opposition and control the flow of the game. But with the Lightning even their third line starts to get a little spotty, nothing against those players, but Tampa's third line would probably be the Flames' fourth. Tampa does have a balanced top six, a very skilled top six, but after that -- the Flames have them beat depth-wise. All four of the Flames lines can play a checking role and can pot goals when needed -- and that's exactly the way Sutter has been building the team, he has no problem playing Iginla on any of the line combos.

kolanos is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 09:15 PM
  #122
Flamin' Griz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Notice that with a 2-0 lead the Flames are still pressuring and forechecking.

Flamin' Griz is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 09:19 PM
  #123
Colorado_Starsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 226
vCash: 500
Warrener got away with one. Should have been a penalty shot.

Colorado_Starsfan is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 09:19 PM
  #124
Mighty Duck Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
Nope.

Close, but whistle blew before it.

Mighty Duck Fan is offline  
Old
05-29-2004, 09:21 PM
  #125
Rotting Corpse*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,708
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
Two Angels going down to block the same shot: Awesome.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the blocked shot is the best play in hockey. I like 'em more than penalty shots.

Rotting Corpse* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.