HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Price vs Halak what may have tipped the scale

Old
08-08-2010, 12:19 PM
AntonCH

vCash: 500
Price vs Halak what may have tipped the scale

On a slow Sunday morning, I came across this:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...s-the-most.php

Could this have led to making the decision easier for the Canadiens?

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

They did sign Auld as a backup who just happens to be 6'4.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 12:48 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Halak !!!

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:00 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

NO! Drop the ****ing subject already.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
No soup for you!!!

I mean, switch to decaf bro.

It will have an impact, the degree of this is left to be determined by actual results, and whether it had an impact on the Habs decision, not you saying "NO!".

There are a few theorized reasons why they traded Halak rather Price :

- For the first time in 3 years, Halak's trade value was equal or better than Price's.

- Salary demands for Halak were undoubtedly be higher than with Price, considering Halak is two fewer years removed from FA than Price is and the season and playoffs he had.

- Halak demanded a trade when he wanted more minutes. Whether this was ok to do or not doesn't matter. If you've worked in any sector/job that demands team work and team spirit, this kind of action is individualistic and frowned upon.

- Price is much bigger physically and the new equipment rules will have an impact (whether you are able to admit it or not). This impact is left to be determined, still, it does add-up to the bottom line.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Nidema

There is no real analysis in that article. The writer just looked at a list of goalies that had huge pads or were below 6 feet.

I do think the pads adjustment will have an effect on Halak. How much? That is really hard to say. With that uncertainty, I don't think it justifies as a reason to tip the scale in the "battle". I think the more valid reasons would have been "Gauthier doesn't think Halak can repeat" or "Halak wanted too much money" more so than the adjustment in equipment caused doubt in management. In any case, it seems it will have some impact on almost everyone.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:16 PM
ruski17

I think it has to do with the fact that Price has awesome red pads and Halak's pads are not as nice. Why win, when you can win with style.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:34 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
Relax. It's a legit article/thread. I'd rather have this than some of the other speculation we have around here.

That being said, I doubt that's the reason they kept carey but maybe some believe it.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:00 PM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
No soup for you!!!

I mean, switch to decaf bro.

It will have an impact, the degree of this is left to be determined by actual results, and whether it had an impact on the Habs decision, not you saying "NO!".

There are a few theorized reasons why they traded Halak rather Price :

- For the first time in 3 years, Halak's trade value was equal or better than Price's.

- Salary demands for Halak were undoubtedly be higher than with Price, considering Halak is two fewer years removed from FA than Price is and the season and playoffs he had.

- Halak demanded a trade when he wanted more minutes. Whether this was ok to do or not doesn't matter. If you've worked in any sector/job that demands team work and team spirit, this kind of action is individualistic and frowned upon.

- Price is much bigger physically and the new equipment rules will have an impact (whether you are able to admit it or not). This impact is left to be determined, still, it does add-up to the bottom line.
Stop misleading, Halak demanded more minutes PERIOD, either with the Habs or with another team... HE DID NOT DEMAND A TRADE !!!

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
Stop misleading, Halak demanded more minutes PERIOD, either with the Habs or with another team... HE DID NOT DEMAND A TRADE !!!
"Canadiens backup goalie Jaroslav Halak, an arbitration-eligible restricted free agent at season's end, has not denied to CKAC radio reports that he wants to play more, whether it's in Montreal or elsewhere."

http://www.habsinsideout.com/main/25977

You wanna play the semantics game, do it alone. When you "demand" more minutes, and say that if going elsewhere is the only solution so be it, than you're giving an ultimatum of two choices, trade or more minutes. Relatively, it comes down to the same thing anyway you wanna put it.

He put himself first, before the team, and it comes down to exactly what I was saying.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:17 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
It's slightly different but not much. "Demand" is probably the wrong word. Halak said "If I don't get more ice time, i'd prefer to be traded" which is asking for a trade on condition. I consider it asking for a trade.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Jimmy Ballzilly

but but...he did not demand a trade because...
that will mean he did something wrong.

And we all know that he and his agent did nothing wrong, and were team guys all along.

Because even if Carey will be better, Halak has done something we never saw before and never will see in the future. Carey do not deserve more than 1m -1.5m.

He is THAT great.

Jimmy Ballzilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski17 View Post
I think it has to do with the fact that Price has awesome red pads and Halak's pads are not as nice. Why win, when you can win with style.
Seriously, this is like the stuff I heard about how Price should be wearing his white pads because shooters have more trouble distinguishing them with the back of the net and misfire more). It's a small, but negligible difference. If you need different sized or different colour pads, then your not that good a goalie. Halak will find a way to make the new pads work. So ya, I don't think that crossed Gauthier's mind when he was deciding on a goalie.

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:41 PM
ruski17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoDynasty View Post
Seriously, this is like the stuff I heard about how Price should be wearing his white pads because shooters have more trouble distinguishing them with the back of the net and misfire more). It's a small, but negligible difference. If you need different sized or different colour pads, then your not that good a goalie. Halak will find a way to make the new pads work. So ya, I don't think that crossed Gauthier's mind when he was deciding on a goalie.
I repeat:

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski17 View Post
I repeat:
I got the , the problem is some people would say that without the , and it gets irritating.

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Why are we comparing the Canadiens' goalie to St Louis'?

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
"Canadiens backup goalie Jaroslav Halak, an arbitration-eligible restricted free agent at season's end, has not denied to CKAC radio reports that he wants to play more, whether it's in Montreal or elsewhere."

http://www.habsinsideout.com/main/25977

You wanna play the semantics game, do it alone. When you "demand" more minutes, and say that if going elsewhere is the only solution so be it, than you're giving an ultimatum of two choices, trade or more minutes. Relatively, it comes down to the same thing anyway you wanna put it.

He put himself first, before the team, and it comes down to exactly what I was saying.
Price mentioned the same thing. That the organization would have a decision to make since they have 2 young goalies that want to play more. Not sure what semantics you are referring to 'cause you mentioned EXACTLY what the poster is saying. Either I play more, either I want out. So yes, he was demanding something. Yet, Price demand the same thing but not with the same wording. "The organization will have a choice to make". Demanding a trade is no matter what happen, I want out. If Price is traded, do Halak still want a trade?

Now....having said all of that.....there is that rumor that Halak DID want a trade based on how he felt he was treated in the past. Now IF THAT'S THE CASE, then yes, he did demand it. But since we won't know that, since the only thing we have in front of us, by both goalies, is PLAY MORE OR TRADE ME, well, we have to stick with that.

Difference between the Price demand and the Halak one....Price didn't have the leverage that Halak had. But it was still a conclusion that Price also came up with.

The best part is that while Price will not make the same amount of money that Halak did, I can't wait to see how that story will end. The end result that because they totally made Price their sole and only #1 (by trading Halak and by getting a real supposed #2), the amount of money will probably be more than if he was signed prior to a Halak trade. Yes, it's true. I don't know if Gauthier tried doing that prior trading Halak. I guess he did, still, the only thing we can judge is by what we know, the end result. And trading Halak first, and getting a guy like Auld, just permit Price to get more money than he would have. We'll how beneficial it will end up to be.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Why are we comparing the Canadiens' goalie to St Louis'?
You think trading one of the two goalies to another team would stop the Halak -vs- Price debate?

Haha, never.

When both of them are retired and in old folks home, we'll be comparing them still ; who eats their mashed peas with more grace, who's faster in the wheel-chair races down the hall and who poops with leaving the least amount of stink in the room.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:44 PM
BLONG7

I think it was raw ability that the organization sees in Price over Halak...and oh, Halak's agent is a real a$$....

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Teufelsdreck

IMO Halak's agent influenced Gauthier's decision. If he had had a more professional agent it might have made a difference. However, there's no going back, and the Habs did get a fine prospect in Eller as well as lightening their cap situation. Schultz might also come in handy. I won't complain.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Carey Chant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
IMO Halak's agent influenced Gauthier's decision. If he had had a more professional agent it might have made a difference. However, there's no going back, and the Habs did get a fine prospect in Eller as well as lightening their cap situation. Schultz might also come in handy. I won't complain.
IMO Bob still had lots of say in decisions and has posters of Carey Price in his rookie season still up on his walls. No way was he trading Price, he just invested too much time and a 5th overall pick him.

Carey Chant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Tray4Adams

What tipped the scales was the fact that Carey Price is better than Jaroslav Halak.

Tray4Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Ballzilly View Post
but but...he did not demand a trade because...
that will mean he did something wrong.

And we all know that he and his agent did nothing wrong, and were team guys all along.

Because even if Carey will be better, Halak has done something we never saw before and never will see in the future. Carey do not deserve more than 1m -1.5m.

He is THAT great.
sorry to be a downer here but...The habs well played system made Halak look better then people think. Most of the shots he saved were from the outside, and from bad angles because the habs played a well defensive game. People say price was terrible last yr, but the fact is that as a team they played better in front of Halak for some reason. The only really bad game I remember Price having was against Vancouver. Even though most of the Canucks goals were highlight reel goals. Fact is that yes the habs played better in front of halak and let him see most of the shots he faced.

And when it comes to the goalie pad reduction, I think it did play a role in Halak being moved. Look what happened to Theo.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:26 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
People say price was terrible last yr, but the fact is that as a team they played better in front of Halak for some reason.
the reason the team played better when halak was in nets was that halak would consistently outplay price in the 1st period.

when price is in nets he typically allows a soft or average goal early in the 1st. that gives confidence to the opposing team and thet follow that up with sharper play. at the same time the habs would feel that they weren't so solid in he back end so they would not be on their game. not being confident causes hesitation and doubt in your teammstes and that generates overall poor play.

when halak was in nets he would keep us in the game long enough to get the 1st goal or two and it would be smooth sailing from then on.

not quite yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by not quite yoda View Post
the reason the team played better when halak was in nets was that halak would consistently outplay price in the 1st period.

when price is in nets he typically allows a soft or average goal early in the 1st. that gives confidence to the opposing team and thet follow that up with sharper play. at the same time the habs would feel that they weren't so solid in he back end so they would not be on their game. not being confident causes hesitation and doubt in your teammstes and that generates overall poor play.

when halak was in nets he would keep us in the game long enough to get the 1st goal or two and it would be smooth sailing from then on.
I wish it were that black and white. But its not. Halak let in weak early goals too you know.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote