HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Price vs Halak what may have tipped the scale

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-11-2010, 12:38 AM
  #101
Max Levine
Registered User
 
Max Levine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
You know, I still kinda miss Huet...
lol, well yes and no. Huet had a great month that started Habs come back but Price took over just before Huet was sent to Washington. From there, it was all Price.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 12:44 AM
  #102
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
lol, well yes and no. Huet had a great month that started Habs come back but Price took over just before Huet was sent to Washington. From there, it was all Price.
Habs were 1 point out of 1st place (although they were 2 wins down on Ottawa, I think) when Huet was traded (or perhaps more accurately, after his last game as a Hab). That's all I'm sayin'.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 12:53 AM
  #103
Max Levine
Registered User
 
Max Levine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Habs were 1 point out of 1st place (although they were 2 wins down on Ottawa, I think) when Huet was traded (or perhaps more accurately, after his last game as a Hab). That's all I'm sayin'.
In their own division. They ended up 1st in the conference. Come on, Ohashi! Say more

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 06:16 AM
  #104
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Habs were 1 point out of 1st place (although they were 2 wins down on Ottawa, I think) when Huet was traded (or perhaps more accurately, after his last game as a Hab). That's all I'm sayin'.
They were one point out for a while, they were battling for Ottawa's spot for over a month.

Plus Price went 12-3-0 from the trade until the end of the season.

Seven games before the trade Huet was 3-4-0, with the Habs.

He was going to be a UFA, we got something for him, we ended up using that second for something else the following year.


Last edited by Andy: 08-11-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 07:26 AM
  #105
TankEller*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,795
vCash: 500
Although I admit Price played good, it's hilarious how people are saying he's the reason why we finished 1st in the EC.

Kovalev, and Markov getting his game to the next level are what made us that good of a team.

Once again, double-standards... HF's best friend. Going to the ECF this year was on team collective work, but when we finished 1st in the EC, it was Price who led us there .

Keep going, I'm probably going to get bashed for stating the obvious, once again.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 08:27 AM
  #106
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Although I admit Price played good, it's hilarious how people are saying he's the reason why we finished 1st in the EC.

Kovalev, and Markov getting his game to the next level are what made us that good of a team.

Once again, double-standards... HF's best friend. Going to the ECF this year was on team collective work, but when we finished 1st in the EC, it was Price who led us there .

Keep going, I'm probably going to get bashed for stating the obvious, once again.
Price was solid, but he certainly didn't have to carry us. The team was playing great and Price did enough not to hurt us, until the Philly series where he was awful.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 08:51 AM
  #107
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Although I admit Price played good, it's hilarious how people are saying he's the reason why we finished 1st in the EC.

Kovalev, and Markov getting his game to the next level are what made us that good of a team.

Once again, double-standards... HF's best friend. Going to the ECF this year was on team collective work, but when we finished 1st in the EC, it was Price who led us there .

Keep going, I'm probably going to get bashed for stating the obvious, once again.
Are you putting words in people's mouths again? Where did I say he was the reason we finished first?

Ohashi said he missed Huet(which could have been a shot at Price or not, who knows, his post was open ended), but it's not like Price crapped the bed for the next 2 and a half months until the Philli series.

Montreal had a strong team which Price and Huet were apart of.

Btw, Huet finished strong with the Caps that year going I think 12-4-0 with 11 straight wins.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 08:57 AM
  #108
JayBee*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Although I admit Price played good, it's hilarious how people are saying he's the reason why we finished 1st in the EC.

Kovalev, and Markov getting his game to the next level are what made us that good of a team.

Once again, double-standards... HF's best friend. Going to the ECF this year was on team collective work, but when we finished 1st in the EC, it was Price who led us there .

Keep going, I'm probably going to get bashed for stating the obvious, once again.
Some fans have such a hard on for Price logic seems to fly out the window.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 08:58 AM
  #109
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
In their own division. They ended up 1st in the conference. Come on, Ohashi! Say more
No, in the conference. On Feb. 22 that year Ottawa was 1st in the conference with 76 points, and Montreal had 75 (as did 2 other teams at the time). Do your research. It was just an off-hand comment though, that need not be explored to the fullest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Ohashi said he missed Huet(which could have been a shot at Price or not, who knows, his post was open ended)
Naw, it was just an off-the-cuff shot at the statement: "remember who brought us to 1st overall in the conference in '07/08", or however it was worded.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 09:14 AM
  #110
Perrah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Some fans have such a hard on for Price logic seems to fly out the window.
And others have a huge hate on for price in their retarded reasoning, im sure that isnt your case though. What's your reason for the dumb **** you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Price was solid, but he certainly didn't have to carry us. The team was playing great and Price did enough not to hurt us, until the Philly series where he was awful.
I dont know if they would have beat boston if he didnt play well in that series barring one bad game. Its fairly obvious the hate blind alot and love blind others, like if price had halaks olympics he wouldnt have been an all star he would have been inconsistent. Anyways, next year is next year, quite a few gomers have zero faith, some have way too much. I prefer to be juuuuuust right.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 10:05 AM
  #111
JayBee*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
And others have a huge hate on for price in their retarded reasoning, im sure that isnt your case though. What's your reason for the dumb **** you say?

The problem with Price supporters is anyone who doesn't put him on a pedestal is considered a hater.

Also, this board is so childish. Anyone whose opinion differs from the majority is ostracized. Again, what makes your OPINION more valid than mine? No one has yet to answer this question.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:04 AM
  #112
Perrah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
The problem with Price supporters is anyone who doesn't put him on a pedestal is considered a hater.

Also, this board is so childish. Anyone whose opinion differs from the majority is ostracized. Again, what makes your OPINION more valid than mine? No one has yet to answer this question.
Well im guessing there are some children on here, not to name any of themzzzzzz. Usually if alot of people agree with something its more likely to be correct or on the right track, not always the case of course. When people are stubborn to something and dont even look at the counter points you are more likely to ostracize said person.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:39 PM
  #113
JayBee*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Well im guessing there are some children on here, not to name any of themzzzzzz. Usually if alot of people agree with something its more likely to be correct or on the right track, not always the case of course. When people are stubborn to something and dont even look at the counter points you are more likely to ostracize said person.
LOL, no, the majority is not always right. History has proven that. And yes, I consider all points...if I disagree with your point, then so be it. Seems like many here can't handle others having their own minds and opinions.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:46 PM
  #114
Max Levine
Registered User
 
Max Levine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Although I admit Price played good, it's hilarious how people are saying he's the reason why we finished 1st in the EC.

Kovalev, and Markov getting his game to the next level are what made us that good of a team.

Once again, double-standards... HF's best friend. Going to the ECF this year was on team collective work, but when we finished 1st in the EC, it was Price who led us there .

Keep going, I'm probably going to get bashed for stating the obvious, once again.
Nobody said Price was the only guy on the ice that lead us to the top of the conference. It was simply insinuated that Huet might have been the one in net during that stretch. And as for double standards... tell me how many players helped us beat the Caps and the Penguins in the last playoffs?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
No, in the conference. On Feb. 22 that year Ottawa was 1st in the conference with 76 points, and Montreal had 75 (as did 2 other teams at the time). Do your research. It was just an off-hand comment though, that need not be explored to the fullest.
Wasn't NJ in 1st place? I remember us beating the Devils after the Huet trade to take over 1st place from them. At any rate, as Koseegin said, Price went 12-3 for the rest of the year and, if you remember well, was pretty awesome in game 7 vs Boston. He helped to get there as much, if not more, than Huet.

P.S.: Ok, I took the time to "do my research" . Huet lost his last game as a Habs. Prior to that, Price had won 3, Huet 1. Huet went 3-4 in the month of February. You're right, Ottawa was first on February 22nd, the Devils taking over the next day. Of course, Habs would have been first on that date if Huet hadn't allowed 5 goals to the Penguins on 30 shots


Last edited by Max Levine: 08-11-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:53 PM
  #115
Max Levine
Registered User
 
Max Levine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
The problem with Price supporters is anyone who doesn't put him on a pedestal is considered a hater.

Also, this board is so childish. Anyone whose opinion differs from the majority is ostracized. Again, what makes your OPINION more valid than mine? No one has yet to answer this question.
I don't believe it's ever been 'those who put Price on a pedestal' vs 'those who put Halak on a pedestal'. It's always been 'those who exaggerate Price's faults' vs 'those who exaggerate Halak's faults'. That's what Price's fans and Halak's fans have been reacting to. Fans of either player never minded the other goalie's qualities until someone denied those same qualities. Then suddenly, it sounded as if we had one of the worst tandem in the league.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 04:03 PM
  #116
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
The problem with Price supporters is anyone who doesn't put him on a pedestal is considered a hater.

Also, this board is so childish. Anyone whose opinion differs from the majority is ostracized. Again, what makes your OPINION more valid than mine? No one has yet to answer this question.
could not have said it any better. And I am a Price supporter, but I don't put him on a pedestal. I just expect him to work hard and getting better mentally, cause athletic wise he is good to go in my opinion.

And whats all this talk about Huet for?..It looks like it was a good move for us as Huet is not a minor league goalie. Also who cares

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 05:02 PM
  #117
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Although I admit Price played good, it's hilarious how people are saying he's the reason why we finished 1st in the EC.

Kovalev, and Markov getting his game to the next level are what made us that good of a team.

Once again, double-standards... HF's best friend. Going to the ECF this year was on team collective work, but when we finished 1st in the EC, it was Price who led us there .

Keep going, I'm probably going to get bashed for stating the obvious, once again.
If it's permissible to say that it wasn't all Price who was responsible for the first place finish, then it's certainly permissible to say that it wasn't all Halak last season. Of course, the Habs finished eighth (barely), not first.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 05:28 PM
  #118
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
If it's permissible to say that it wasn't all Price who was responsible for the first place finish, then it's certainly permissible to say that it wasn't all Halak last season. Of course, the Habs finished eighth (barely), not first.
You're comparing apples to oranges and things aren't always as black and white as you're seeming to suggest. The team played well in front of Price. The team got outplayed nearly every game in this years playoffs and the majority of the regualar season. We were 5th worst for SF and 6th worst for SA or there abouts. Not something to look forward to for next season, without exceptional goaltending this team will most likely struggle.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 05:32 PM
  #119
Sargent Pepper*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 2,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
If it's permissible to say that it wasn't all Price who was responsible for the first place finish, then it's certainly permissible to say that it wasn't all Halak last season. Of course, the Habs finished eighth (barely), not first.
Touché!

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 06:00 PM
  #120
SpezNc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal, Qc, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Price was solid, but he certainly didn't have to carry us. The team was playing great and Price did enough not to hurt us, until the Philly series where he was awful.
While he was not the only reason why the habs finish strong that season, he was more that just "Solid".

I think he was 94% or something. He was playing of his best hockey an NHLer.

The only time I have see him been better was during the month of last november where he was REALLY GREAT against Nashville, Carolina, Washington etc.

Carey Price, along with Kovalev and some others were the reason why we finish first in the east.

But I have to admit that it's was more of a team accomplishement. But you are not finish 1 only from the effort of only one guy. Impossible...

SpezNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 07:00 PM
  #121
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezNc View Post
While he was not the only reason why the habs finish strong that season, he was more that just "Solid".

I think he was 94% or something. He was playing of his best hockey an NHLer.

The only time I have see him been better was during the month of last november where he was REALLY GREAT against Nashville, Carolina, Washington etc.

Carey Price, along with Kovalev and some others were the reason why we finish first in the east.

But I have to admit that it's was more of a team accomplishement. But you are not finish 1 only from the effort of only one guy. Impossible...
People often forget Price's first all-star team appearance and often put it aside as something he did not deserve. By the time the ballots were closed, Thomas was considered because of 25-some games he started at the beginning of that season, and Price was not far behind statistics-wise. The difference is, all-stars aren't meant to reward players for playing great in the first 35-40 games of the present season. The previous season should also come to people's mind. When the ballots closed, Price had a career record of 40-14-10 in 66 games played, with a GAA of 2,30 and save % of ,920. Cut out the first half of his rookie season, and the stats become even more glaring as to how dominant he was. And that's at the age of 20-21.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 08:05 PM
  #122
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
The problem with Price supporters is anyone who doesn't put him on a pedestal is considered a hater.

Also, this board is so childish. Anyone whose opinion differs from the majority is ostracized. Again, what makes your OPINION more valid than mine? No one has yet to answer this question.
why bother posting then? if something bothers me, especially something as futile as internet forum, i get rid of the problem; but thats just me.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 10:34 PM
  #123
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
If it's permissible to say that it wasn't all Price who was responsible for the first place finish, then it's certainly permissible to say that it wasn't all Halak last season. Of course, the Habs finished eighth (barely), not first.
Both goalies seemed to perform equally well behind the '07/08 team, but that certainly didn't quite seem the case last year. That's all I'm saying. Nothing "against" Price (just the original comment I replied to), but simply "for" the performance of everyone (including/especially the goalies) the 1st place year [and Halak's performance(s) last year, since you brought it up].

This is all a pretty extreme length to carry a tangent at this point, btw.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:16 PM
  #124
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Habs were 1 point out of 1st place (although they were 2 wins down on Ottawa, I think) when Huet was traded (or perhaps more accurately, after his last game as a Hab). That's all I'm sayin'.
3pts back and finished 10pts ahead after Huet was traded.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:17 PM
  #125
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
No, in the conference. On Feb. 22 that year Ottawa was 1st in the conference with 76 points, and Montreal had 75 (as did 2 other teams at the time). Do your research. It was just an off-hand comment though, that need not be explored to the fullest.



Naw, it was just an off-the-cuff shot at the statement: "remember who brought us to 1st overall in the conference in '07/08", or however it was worded.
Huet was traded on the 24th, trade deadline day and Habs were 3pts out of Ottawa. After the trade they made up 13pts on them and finished 10pts ahead.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.