HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Do you like Eric Lindros?

Old
08-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
Do you like Eric Lindros?

Just wanted the opinion of Flyers fans , do you like number 88?

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 12:34 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

vCash: 500
Um.. yeah

Old
08-08-2010, 12:41 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 122
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Yes.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Uncle Joe

One of my top 3 fav flyers ever

Uncle Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Jester

*ing hate him.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Yes I do.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Bort Sampson

Yeah

Met him a number of times, as well as his brother. Both were extremely nice (second only to Mike Ricci, who's the ****ing man). Brett met up with my dad for breakfast for a full week (Stars Hockey Camp in Guelph) and Eric signed just about anything for anyone. He signed the complete set of his rookie cards for my brother and father. He talked their ear off about Philadelphia, considering finding good hockey players from Philadelphia in Canada was pretty rare.

Bort Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 12:58 PM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
One of my top 3 fav flyers ever
Yep. Skill-wise he was the total package, and a complete monster to boot. Unfortunate that his saga turned into such a fiasco.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:13 PM
2Claude2Giroux

Of course.

I think he was just misunderstood.

2Claude2Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
Just wanted the opinion of Flyers fans , do you like number 88?
I was jumping for joy when we won the case. My company was doing another section of homes by his house. We did him a few favors and he brought us some beers and played horseshoes with us.( He was not that good) If we needed something signed he let us stick it in his mailbox. He would sign it and we would grab it in the morning.He seemed like a really nice person. The owners son at the bar I used to go to in Winslow was a pretty good hockey player and he evened played some in the minor leagues out west. But it was to crazy out there and he got out of it.He had a ton of connections with hockey players and folks in Canada and some of them would come to the bar. He was best friends with Derrick Smith. Having said that he hated Lindros saying he was a Mom ma's boy. You do not know how many heated arguments we had about it. But you know what? He was right. If 88 had 16's heart he really could have been something. It was a shame but the guy had been pampered all his life and it eventually came to light.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Miss Mess

Yes!

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I was jumping for joy when we won the case. My company was doing another section of homes by his house. We did him a few favors and he brought us some beers and played horseshoes with us.( He was not that good) If we needed something signed he let us stick it in his mailbox. He would sign it and we would grab it in the morning.He seemed like a really nice person. The owners son at the bar I used to go to in Winslow was a pretty good hockey player and he evened played some in the minor leagues out west. But it was to crazy out there and he got out of it.He had a ton of connections with hockey players and folks in Canada and some of them would come to the bar. He was best friends with Derrick Smith. Having said that he hated Lindros saying he was a Mom ma's boy. You do not know how many heated arguments we had about it. But you know what? He was right. If 88 had 16's heart he really could have been something. It was a shame but the guy had been pampered all his life and it eventually came to light.
Didn't play like it though.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:37 PM
RoDu

I don't know

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:40 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
I like him.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Bort Sampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
If 88 also had 16's teammates he would have probably won a cup or two.

Heart had nothing to do with it. Other teams realizing they could just focus on Lindros, and hence shut down the Flyers, had everything to do with it.

Bort Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
I'm rather indifferent, obviously.

He had all the talent and skill and physical tools, but when come spring, you couldn't truly count on him.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:45 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

yep - as a player

wouldn't know him personally....

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I'm rather indifferent, obviously.

He had all the talent and skill and physical tools, but when come spring, you couldn't truly count on him.
...57 points in 53 career playoff games. That includes his Greek God performance taking the team to the SCF.

In his first three playoff appearances he had 53 pts in 43 games.

Eric Lindros showed up in the playoffs.

Old
08-08-2010, 01:58 PM
FlyerEra2010

No, I don't.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:59 PM
chaosof99*

I loved him as a player but he did have a bit of a bad character, or at least so it seems. Much of it stems from his parents but also is probably rooted in his skill and sheer size. He just didn't have to fear anybody when he was a boy. Because of that he didn't really respect the game, and the game ended up eating him. I like to think he was just too good for his own good.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:05 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Never met him, but his refusal to follow the process in both juniors and the NHL makes me think he is not someone I would get along with.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:05 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
...57 points in 53 career playoff games. That includes his Greek God performance taking the team to the SCF.

In his first three playoff appearances he had 53 pts in 43 games.

Eric Lindros showed up in the playoffs.

Perhaps that's the sting of how he left and never fulfilling his purpose, but the criticisms always went beyond points, except maybe for 1997, most felt after the season there was more to give.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
I loved him as a player but he did have a bit of a bad character, or at least so it seems. Much of it stems from his parents but also is probably rooted in his skill and sheer size. He just didn't have to fear anybody when he was a boy. Because of that he didn't really respect the game, and the game ended up eating him. I like to think he was just too good for his own good.
His parents did a great disservice to him and his career by how they handled situations throughout his hockey life with regard to the teams he was on (or was supposed to be on). It's pretty clear in retrospect that they cultivated a mentality that he was superior to the team, and that had an adverse effect on him in the long run...

Has nothing to do with him as an individual in one-on-one situations or whatnot, and he clearly got along with some of his teammates quite well (I know he and Leclair were friends). However, he was an egomaniacal brat when it came to his dealings with the Flyers and it led to some negative consequences (players being dealt away because he didn't like them) and ultimately the complete breakdown that ended his tenure here.

Old
08-08-2010, 02:11 PM
CharlieGirl

I need an "undecided" option...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
His parents did a great disservice to him and his career by how they handled situations throughout his hockey life with regard to the teams he was on (or was supposed to be on). It's pretty clear in retrospect that they cultivated a mentality that he was superior to the team, and that had an adverse effect on him in the long run...
Exactly. At times on the ice, there was no one more dominant. At times off the ice, there was no one more disliked by fans. The "take my ball and go home" attitude still doesn't sit well with me, but I loved watching him play.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Perhaps that's the sting of how he left and never fulfilling his purpose, but the criticisms always went beyond points, except maybe for 1997, most felt after the season there was more to give.
I would like to see those criticisms... because they're delusional. Lindros' problem early on in his career (remember, he left here when he was only 26... Kovy is older than Lindros now) was lack of depth and goaltending on those teams. They had a poor defensive corps and the well established goaltending narrative.

Lindros had injury problems that bled into playoffs, but very little negative can be said about him showing up for those series.

1st playoff appearance: Lost in the Conf. Finals to the Devils, beat the Sabres (4-1) and Rangers (4-0) en route. Lindros missed the beginning of the Sabres series, as I recall that was the goofy eye injury year.

2nd playoff appearance: Beat the Lightning (4-2), and Lost to the Panthers (4-2) the year they went to the Finals.

3rd playoff appearance: SCF appearance, where Lindros was a force of nature. He was only 23 y.o.