HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Do you like Eric Lindros?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-08-2010, 12:33 PM
  #1
Jafar
Keep it logical
 
Jafar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,693
vCash: 50
Do you like Eric Lindros?

Just wanted the opinion of Flyers fans , do you like number 88?

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 12:34 PM
  #2
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89
 
JDinklage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 10,347
vCash: 500
Um.. yeah

__________________
"People usually get what's coming to them, unless it has been mailed."
-Fred Shero
JDinklage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 12:41 PM
  #3
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,476
vCash: 122
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Yes.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 12:45 PM
  #4
Uncle Joe
Registered User
 
Uncle Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
One of my top 3 fav flyers ever

Uncle Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 12:45 PM
  #5
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
*ing hate him.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 12:47 PM
  #6
Hollywood Couturier
Moderator
 
Hollywood Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 18,974
vCash: 500
Yes I do.

__________________

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 12:57 PM
  #7
Bort Sampson
Registered User
 
Bort Sampson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hammock District
Country: United States
Posts: 1,161
vCash: 500
Yeah

Met him a number of times, as well as his brother. Both were extremely nice (second only to Mike Ricci, who's the ****ing man). Brett met up with my dad for breakfast for a full week (Stars Hockey Camp in Guelph) and Eric signed just about anything for anyone. He signed the complete set of his rookie cards for my brother and father. He talked their ear off about Philadelphia, considering finding good hockey players from Philadelphia in Canada was pretty rare.

Bort Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 12:58 PM
  #8
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers
 
six sigma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
One of my top 3 fav flyers ever
Yep. Skill-wise he was the total package, and a complete monster to boot. Unfortunate that his saga turned into such a fiasco.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:13 PM
  #9
2Claude2Giroux
Registered User
 
2Claude2Giroux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lansdowne
Country: United States
Posts: 675
vCash: 500
Of course.

I think he was just misunderstood.

2Claude2Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:13 PM
  #10
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
Just wanted the opinion of Flyers fans , do you like number 88?
I was jumping for joy when we won the case. My company was doing another section of homes by his house. We did him a few favors and he brought us some beers and played horseshoes with us.( He was not that good) If we needed something signed he let us stick it in his mailbox. He would sign it and we would grab it in the morning.He seemed like a really nice person. The owners son at the bar I used to go to in Winslow was a pretty good hockey player and he evened played some in the minor leagues out west. But it was to crazy out there and he got out of it.He had a ton of connections with hockey players and folks in Canada and some of them would come to the bar. He was best friends with Derrick Smith. Having said that he hated Lindros saying he was a Mom ma's boy. You do not know how many heated arguments we had about it. But you know what? He was right. If 88 had 16's heart he really could have been something. It was a shame but the guy had been pampered all his life and it eventually came to light.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:28 PM
  #11
Miss Mess
Registered User
 
Miss Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 4,510
vCash: 500
Yes!

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:32 PM
  #12
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,217
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I was jumping for joy when we won the case. My company was doing another section of homes by his house. We did him a few favors and he brought us some beers and played horseshoes with us.( He was not that good) If we needed something signed he let us stick it in his mailbox. He would sign it and we would grab it in the morning.He seemed like a really nice person. The owners son at the bar I used to go to in Winslow was a pretty good hockey player and he evened played some in the minor leagues out west. But it was to crazy out there and he got out of it.He had a ton of connections with hockey players and folks in Canada and some of them would come to the bar. He was best friends with Derrick Smith. Having said that he hated Lindros saying he was a Mom ma's boy. You do not know how many heated arguments we had about it. But you know what? He was right. If 88 had 16's heart he really could have been something. It was a shame but the guy had been pampered all his life and it eventually came to light.
Didn't play like it though.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:37 PM
  #13
RoDu
Registered User
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,354
vCash: 500
I don't know

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:40 PM
  #14
LEIFey
Context Matters!
 
LEIFey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 7,266
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
I like him.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:41 PM
  #15
Bort Sampson
Registered User
 
Bort Sampson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hammock District
Country: United States
Posts: 1,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I was jumping for joy when we won the case. My company was doing another section of homes by his house. We did him a few favors and he brought us some beers and played horseshoes with us.( He was not that good) If we needed something signed he let us stick it in his mailbox. He would sign it and we would grab it in the morning.He seemed like a really nice person. The owners son at the bar I used to go to in Winslow was a pretty good hockey player and he evened played some in the minor leagues out west. But it was to crazy out there and he got out of it.He had a ton of connections with hockey players and folks in Canada and some of them would come to the bar. He was best friends with Derrick Smith. Having said that he hated Lindros saying he was a Mom ma's boy. You do not know how many heated arguments we had about it. But you know what? He was right. If 88 had 16's heart he really could have been something. It was a shame but the guy had been pampered all his life and it eventually came to light.
If 88 also had 16's teammates he would have probably won a cup or two.

Heart had nothing to do with it. Other teams realizing they could just focus on Lindros, and hence shut down the Flyers, had everything to do with it.

Bort Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:43 PM
  #16
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 107,566
vCash: 6115
I'm rather indifferent, obviously.

He had all the talent and skill and physical tools, but when come spring, you couldn't truly count on him.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:45 PM
  #17
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB
 
dingbathero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,498
vCash: 500
yep - as a player

wouldn't know him personally....

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:52 PM
  #18
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I'm rather indifferent, obviously.

He had all the talent and skill and physical tools, but when come spring, you couldn't truly count on him.
...57 points in 53 career playoff games. That includes his Greek God performance taking the team to the SCF.

In his first three playoff appearances he had 53 pts in 43 games.

Eric Lindros showed up in the playoffs.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:58 PM
  #19
FlyerEra2010
Registered User
 
FlyerEra2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lakeville, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 927
vCash: 500
No, I don't.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:59 PM
  #20
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
I loved him as a player but he did have a bit of a bad character, or at least so it seems. Much of it stems from his parents but also is probably rooted in his skill and sheer size. He just didn't have to fear anybody when he was a boy. Because of that he didn't really respect the game, and the game ended up eating him. I like to think he was just too good for his own good.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:05 PM
  #21
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Never met him, but his refusal to follow the process in both juniors and the NHL makes me think he is not someone I would get along with.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:05 PM
  #22
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 107,566
vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
...57 points in 53 career playoff games. That includes his Greek God performance taking the team to the SCF.

In his first three playoff appearances he had 53 pts in 43 games.

Eric Lindros showed up in the playoffs.

Perhaps that's the sting of how he left and never fulfilling his purpose, but the criticisms always went beyond points, except maybe for 1997, most felt after the season there was more to give.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:06 PM
  #23
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
I loved him as a player but he did have a bit of a bad character, or at least so it seems. Much of it stems from his parents but also is probably rooted in his skill and sheer size. He just didn't have to fear anybody when he was a boy. Because of that he didn't really respect the game, and the game ended up eating him. I like to think he was just too good for his own good.
His parents did a great disservice to him and his career by how they handled situations throughout his hockey life with regard to the teams he was on (or was supposed to be on). It's pretty clear in retrospect that they cultivated a mentality that he was superior to the team, and that had an adverse effect on him in the long run...

Has nothing to do with him as an individual in one-on-one situations or whatnot, and he clearly got along with some of his teammates quite well (I know he and Leclair were friends). However, he was an egomaniacal brat when it came to his dealings with the Flyers and it led to some negative consequences (players being dealt away because he didn't like them) and ultimately the complete breakdown that ended his tenure here.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:11 PM
  #24
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,710
vCash: 500
I need an "undecided" option...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
His parents did a great disservice to him and his career by how they handled situations throughout his hockey life with regard to the teams he was on (or was supposed to be on). It's pretty clear in retrospect that they cultivated a mentality that he was superior to the team, and that had an adverse effect on him in the long run...
Exactly. At times on the ice, there was no one more dominant. At times off the ice, there was no one more disliked by fans. The "take my ball and go home" attitude still doesn't sit well with me, but I loved watching him play.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:12 PM
  #25
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Perhaps that's the sting of how he left and never fulfilling his purpose, but the criticisms always went beyond points, except maybe for 1997, most felt after the season there was more to give.
I would like to see those criticisms... because they're delusional. Lindros' problem early on in his career (remember, he left here when he was only 26... Kovy is older than Lindros now) was lack of depth and goaltending on those teams. They had a poor defensive corps and the well established goaltending narrative.

Lindros had injury problems that bled into playoffs, but very little negative can be said about him showing up for those series.

1st playoff appearance: Lost in the Conf. Finals to the Devils, beat the Sabres (4-1) and Rangers (4-0) en route. Lindros missed the beginning of the Sabres series, as I recall that was the goofy eye injury year.

2nd playoff appearance: Beat the Lightning (4-2), and Lost to the Panthers (4-2) the year they went to the Finals.

3rd playoff appearance: SCF appearance, where Lindros was a force of nature. He was only 23 y.o.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.