HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you like Eric Lindros?

Old
08-08-2010, 10:40 PM
mypunkrock

vCash: 500
Eh, I didn't follow hockey much until when Lindros was on his way out.

With the gift of hindsight, I wish we had not made that trade. But that is just me.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:40 PM
0range and Black

There are several ways to rate a player.

Scoring? Lindros was top 3 in PPG all time before the concussions took him down. He was between Crosby and Ovechkin while wearing orange. He is 18th all time counting the bad years as well.

Physicality? He could beat up goons and he crushed people all the time. The revenge game vs Petit and Ulanov was a classic. The semis where he ate NY was fantastic. His endless battles with Hasek were legendary.

Two way play? His +- was fantastic.

So Bobby Clarke did not like his agents. Clarkie was a great player, a good GM and such a bad people person that he had to stop giving out the Bobby Clarke trophy due to the booing. Clarke tried to kill Lindros (although by negligence) and was sad that his agent/parent did not like attempted murder.

If you picked the cry babies over him in 2000 then go watch games 5, 6 and 7 vs Jersey and find me a 3rd player on the ice besides Lindros and Boucher.

0range and Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Thransplant

I loved/love him. I still have all his rookie cards. My only quarrel would be that he took some shifts off and it was noticeable.

Thransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:08 AM
0range and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
Eh, I didn't follow hockey much until when Lindros was on his way out.

With the gift of hindsight, I wish we had not made that trade. But that is just me.
Foppa was 3rd and 6th in scoring for both cup winners and Roy was in net. If we built a team where Lindros could be the 3rd or 6th best scorer in the playoffs we would have won multiple cups here.

I can see why some people liked Forsberg over Lindros but they had completely different situations. I never had mixed feelings on it and Foppa confirmed it when he stole money from the Flyers to play hurt for Sweden and returned on one leg.

0range and Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:40 AM
Mr Oysterhead

Lindros and LeClair were my hockey heroes growing up. Still rock my 88 jersey to this day.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 05:35 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
I love Eric Lindros!

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 07:32 AM
Subject Orange

For 88 and the Legion of Doom.

Loved watching him play, hated all the **** that went down. Sad to see the result.

Still, loved 88.

Subject Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:00 AM
Kaktus*

As a player. Hell yeah.

Most talented player in Flyers history. (imo)

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:49 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

My first favorite player ever. And if it weren't for the Legion of Doom, I may not have been excited enough to be the Flyers fan I am today, so I owe him a great deal for being a fan. Even if it ended on a rough note and never really could jump start his career after the injuries, he was still a fantastic player and could have been a lot more, much like Bure. I'll always like him.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Kuato

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
Just wanted the opinion of Flyers fans , do you like number 88?
Growing up, Kuato loved him and was pretty much blindly loyal to him. Since then, Kuato has become a little more objective on the matter.

Kuato doesn't like the way his parents babied him and how Eric allowed that to happen as an adult. Kuato also does not like some of the off-ice stories he heard about how Lindros mistreated some of us mere mortals.

But the man did have heart. He was passionate about his family and the game. When he wasn't busy with all off-ice related drama, he was very easy to cheer for.

Kuato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:50 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
as a player I liked him. when he wanted to be there wasnt anyone that could stop him. the off ice shenanigans kind of put a damper on all that for me. He seemed to put himself above the team at times(mostly late in his time here). Yeah You could put that on his parents, but he also could of told them to **** and let me handle things and he didnt. I really wish the Rangers would have won the arbitration award for him and we could of kept Forsberg,Hextall ect ect..

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 10:17 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I hated the big goof and still do to this day.

He never reported to the junior team that drafted him. He never reported to the NHL team that drafted him. He complained about players and he complained about coaches. He blamed everyone else for the team's failures and he NEVER listened to the basics coaches tried to instill in him (i.e. skating with his head up). He insulted management and when his players accused the team doctors of trying to kill him, he did nothing to refute that statement.

Just a selfish and immature boy who caused more harm than good everywhere he went.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 10:24 AM
infidelappel*

Loved him as a player. He was a sheer force of nature before all the injuries. I hated his parents and their scheming, though, and like Jester said back on page 1 somewhere, I think they ultimately ruined his career by instilling the attitude that he was superior to the teams around him.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 10:37 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Wore my #88 jersey to Game 4 against Chicago proudly.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 11:58 AM
04' hockey

nicely put.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I hated the big goof and still do to this day.

He never reported to the junior team that drafted him. He never reported to the NHL team that drafted him. He complained about players and he complained about coaches. He blamed everyone else for the team's failures and he NEVER listened to the basics coaches tried to instill in him (i.e. skating with his head up). He insulted management and when his players accused the team doctors of trying to kill him, he did nothing to refute that statement.

Just a selfish and immature boy who caused more harm than good everywhere he went.
COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER, thank you

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:15 PM
i am dave

A bar I go to often has a framed, signed Lindros jersey on the wall. I'm teaching my girlfriend about hockey, and she's at the point where she'll watch casually, without contempt (that's huge, gents). But she's definitely not "in the know" on history. One night, she points to the jersey and says, "So I guess he was really good?"

I paused, took a few moments to find the words, and simply retorted, "He... He's a long story."

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 04:07 PM
turkinaa

I like him. I met him once and he was really nice. My first jersey was also a Lindros jersey. I could never question his dedication to hockey or the early years to the club. He was a dominating player with skill, ability, and power. With that said most of us know his history and while it sometimes can take away from a player, his biggest flaws to me were letting his parents rule his life and playing with his head down. I often wish that he could have played his entire career as a Flyer and while his time in Philly was both good and bad there is no reason to dislike him. It's more of a stigma attached to his name.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
A bar I go to often has a framed, signed Lindros jersey on the wall. I'm teaching my girlfriend about hockey, and she's at the point where she'll watch casually, without contempt (that's huge, gents). But she's definitely not "in the know" on history. One night, she points to the jersey and says, "So I guess he was really good?"

I paused, took a few moments to find the words, and simply retorted, "He... He's a long story."
haha, i had a similar moment with my girlfriend, back when coatsey asked walter about his favorite player.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

It's a violation to wear an 88 jersey. Keep that in your closet.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:28 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
It's a violation to wear an 88 jersey. Keep that in your closet.
I don't think I've worn it since before he was traded.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 10:29 PM
phillyfanatic

Surprised so many still love him....me, I always will! I enjoy hockey and appreciate the players. How many of my best hockey memories involve Eric Lindros? Many of them, and I can't forget all them....

Time heals all wounds, lindros is a hall of famer to me!

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Bryz4shiz

I don't even know if I'd watch hockey if it weren't for the Big E

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 11:28 AM
UseYourAllusion

By a wide margin the most dominant hockey player I've ever seen, just a monster.

The end of his tenure stings, but I blame his folks and maybe Bob Clarke more than Eric for that.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Mylec 22

I've always been a big fan of the E train.

Mylec 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 03:22 PM
jb**

most talented Flyer ever. I really would wonder how much he would dominate today the way they call the game. Then again they still wouldn "protect" him like they do the other pansies in the league. He truely was unstoppable. He didnt resurrect hockey but he sure as hell played ahuge part in a new arena being built. There was plenty of talk about them moving across the bridge in jersey and several other locations righ outside of philly at the time if my memory is correct.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote