HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Fla-Chi

Old
08-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Fla-Chi

To Hawks
G Alexander Salak

To Panthers
Hawks 2011 2nd round pick

Panthers have a glut of goalies and with Markstrom expected to come over he will be #1 in AHL most likely and with Cheverie ready professionally but as of now there is only room for him to go to ECHL

Hawks have 2 mid 20's netminders who may not have NHL starting ability in Crawford/Toivonen (I do think Toivonen has some potential) and a career minor league prospect in Richards. Simpson and Carruth (2nd and 7th round) from 2010 draft are longterm projects

So the Hawks a team with an excess of picks in coming draft (we have 3 2nd rounders) and Panthers a team with excess of goaltending depth to me make alot of sense

Moving Salak would be good move for all parties as the Panthers can have Cheverie in AHL as #2 for a year and then he can be moved into full time starting role for 2011-12 season. Salak would get to go to an organization in the Hawks that needs a longterm goalie prospect

If Hawks got Salak we let him and Crawford/Toivonen compete for #2 job and if he wins it we can afford to carry his cap hit because of his bonus's which will also help our cap situation

Possible lineup for Hawks with Salak winning #2 job

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Troy Brouwer ($1.025m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Viktor Stalberg ($0.850m) / Patrick Sharp ($3.900m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Tomas Kopecky ($1.200m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Jack Skille ($0.600m)
Bryan Bickell ($0.541m) / Jake Dowell ($0.525m) / Igor Makarov ($0.552m)
/ Jeff Taffe ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN
Brian Campbell ($7.142m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)
Brent Seabrook ($3.500m) / Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.500m)
Ivan Vishnevskiy ($0.821m) / Jordan Hendry ($0.600m)
John Scott ($0.512m)

GOALTENDERS
Marty Turco ($1.300m) /Alexander Salak ($1.300m)

CARRY-OVER BONUS PENALTY: $4,157,753

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,367,424; BONUSES: $490,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $522,576

So any opinions? I am really high on Salak and think he has alot of good potential

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 500
I think he would play AHL this year and build a tandem with Crawford in 11-12

I think the Deal should be ok and it's fair. Maybe change the pick to Leafs 3rd, but this is not a big difference

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Gudbranson44

id do that deal. but i dont think chicago would considering the cap hit of salak is 1.3...

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

I'd do it. Salak needs serious work with a goaltending coach though. He doesn't know how to play angles at all. He's all reflexes. Strangely enough, Rochester didn't have a goaltending coach last season and Salak crashed and burned around Feb.-March once the AHL figured him out. If he straightens out his positioning, he could be a good NHL goalie.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Adamg0013

i would do that

Adamg0013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:58 PM
FinlandPanther

not bad id probably do this, but i still like salak and if he changes his style a little bit he can become really good.

Last edited by FinlandPanther: 08-08-2010 at 05:49 PM. Reason: contradiction
FinlandPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Sarava

I'd rather the Hawks hold on to the 2nd round picks, particularly the ones that aren't ours (I know you said the Hawks 2nd... just saying). The Calgary and Atlanta 2nds could be high 2nd round picks. The Hawks might be able to use those 3 2nds next year to move up in the first round or acquire a 2nd first rounder.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisournextbure View Post
id do that deal. but i dont think chicago would considering the cap hit of salak is 1.3...
Actually the team I put together worked pretty well and still left us a good amount of cap room

Salak's cap hit is more manageable because of his bonus hits

Crawford as our #2 with Salak as #1 in Rockford would be fine for next season if he really needs as much work but I like his potential

Old
08-08-2010, 04:25 PM
brevard*

Salak is fringe at best of having any chance to ever make the NHL. Of Panther netminder prospects he is either 3rd or 4th (with Plante) depending on who you ask. He is undisciplined without the quickness of say Niemi or the acrobatics of a Hasek.
A goalie who will regularly stone the AHL guys but once he gets to the show where the skill level is a tad higher he needs treatment for 3rd degree burns because the red light behind him is always lit.

Are you sure you are a Hawk fan?

Every Panther fan would jump at getting a 2nd for him. ... He might be worth a 4th. ... MIGHT. His game needs work. No better a prospect than Palmer at this point.

brevard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevard View Post
Salak is fringe at best of having any chance to ever make the NHL. Of Panther netminder prospects he is either 3rd or 4th (with Plante) depending on who you ask. He is undisciplined without the quickness of say Niemi or the acrobatics of a Hasek.
A goalie who will regularly stone the AHL guys but once he gets to the show where the skill level is a tad higher he needs treatment for 3rd degree burns because the red light behind him is always lit.

Every Panther fan would jump at getting a 2nd for him. ... He might be worth a 4th. ... MIGHT. His game needs work. No better a prospect than Palmer at this point.
You have not ever seen Salak then

He is quick and has a style similiar to Pavelec's (Too an extent)

at the Palmer part

Palmer bombed in NCAA getting worse every year and is now playing in CHL with Texas Brahmas and will never sniff the NHL or likely AHL at this point

Salak is a far better goalie prospect then the only young netminder we have signed in Richards

Old
08-08-2010, 04:36 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
You have not ever seen Salak then

He is quick and has a style similiar to Pavelec's (Too an extent)

at the Palmer part

Palmer bombed in NCAA getting worse every year and is now playing in CHL with Texas Brahmas and will never sniff the NHL or likely AHL at this point

Salak is a far better goalie prospect then the only young netminder we have signed in Richards
yeah he is EXTREMELY misinformed. salak plays a hasek style game that looks unorthadox but he still makes the save. he needs a goalie coach to work with him because he has great potential but teams figure him out. salak is extremely quick but his position is below average. if you have the right goalie coach on your hands he can develop into a #1 and a good one.

Old
08-08-2010, 05:33 PM
brevard*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandPanther View Post
yeah he is EXTREMELY misinformed. salak plays a hasek style game that looks unorthadox but he still makes the save. he needs a goalie coach to work with him because he has great potential but teams figure him out. salak is extremely quick but his position is below average. if you have the right goalie coach on your hands he can develop into a #1 and a good one.
2 hours earlier you said he needed to change his style. Now he needs a coach only because teams figure him out?

He is quick but not really with the legs (my comp. to Niemi) Gets from side to side fast but usually overplays. NHLers will have the guy jumping out of his shoes. he does all the cool **** Hasek did (rolling around and such) he just seems to invest it all in thinking he is quicker than the opponent so he won't get beat.
It is that type of play I consider "undisciplined".

BWC, I have seen him play once in person and 3 times on TV. Please share with us info on your many trips to Rochester. I also saw him at camp last year.

Old
08-08-2010, 05:48 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
2 hours earlier you said he needed to change his style. Now he needs a coach only because teams figure him out?

He is quick but not really with the legs (my comp. to Niemi) Gets from side to side fast but usually overplays. NHLers will have the guy jumping out of his shoes. he does all the cool **** Hasek did (rolling around and such) he just seems to invest it all in thinking he is quicker than the opponent so he won't get beat.
It is that type of play I consider "undisciplined".

BWC, I have seen him play once in person and 3 times on TV. Please share with us info on your many trips to Rochester. I also saw him at camp last year.
you cant change salaks style completely or he is an automatic bust right then and there. he cant just swittch from hasek like to broduer like/ butterfly.

i agree with him overplaying sometimes and his positioning is not great. he was excellent in TPS because the goalie coach there is a legend and turn mediocre into great goalies, such as salak's case. he just needs some guidance the talent is there but the mind part of his game is not complete yet.

Old
08-08-2010, 06:03 PM
brevard*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandPanther View Post
you cant change salaks style completely or he is an automatic bust right then and there. he cant just swittch from hasek like to broduer like/ butterfly.

i agree with him overplaying sometimes and his positioning is not great. he was excellent in TPS because the goalie coach there is a legend and turn mediocre into great goalies, such as salak's case. he just needs some guidance the talent is there but the mind part of his game is not complete yet.

You might be right. I didn't see it so much as a positioning issue (we agree he is not a stand up position type goalie) I thought what killed him was decision making. While Hasek flopped around you had to notice he was always in/near the crease so while rolling and flailing his arms/legs he had a pretty good shot at hitting the puck.
Salak will slide/fall/flop and end up 3 feet to one side or the other of the net. After that the acrobatic move is trying to dive back in recovery.

No doubt the guy has skills. If it was a "positioning" issue that would be one thing. I just don't think you can change someones insticts.

BWC? evidently you have seen him 100's of times, right? Anything intelligent to add?

Old
08-08-2010, 06:09 PM
CzechPanther

I'd say yes to this. Salak could be an NHL regular with the right coaching, and the panthers need picks. Good proposal.

CzechPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 06:11 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
You might be right. I didn't see it so much as a positioning issue (we agree he is not a stand up position type goalie) I thought what killed him was decision making. While Hasek flopped around you had to notice he was always in/near the crease so while rolling and flailing his arms/legs he had a pretty good shot at hitting the puck.
Salak will slide/fall/flop and end up 3 feet to one side or the other of the net. After that the acrobatic move is trying to dive back in recovery.

No doubt the guy has skills. If it was a "positioning" issue that would be one thing. I just don't think you can change someones insticts.

BWC? evidently you have seen him 100's of times, right? Anything intelligent to add?
absolutely he just needs to know where he is and he will be much better in the SVS % area. his instincts can be changed with a goalie coach who will tell him to be positionally to make the save and not overcommit. i believe if he gets the right guidance he will be a goos starter in the NHL

Old
08-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

Quote:

Well now that I am back on HF ,,, People do log off so when you issue demands for someone to show up it isn't possible so asking the same question in a different tone will not make someone magically appear

I have seen him play 3 times on TV (once in NHL vs Caps)

In person I haven't had the luxury of seeing him but there is a thing called video highlights/Youtube which does allow one to form an opinion

Here are 2 vids that you can view

(Used to be more vids from Finland but I dont see them anymore)

Flaws
-Can come too far out to challenge a shooter (Not 1st young goalie to do this)
-Has trouble with defenders in his face (Most goalies struggle with that)
-Unorthodox style that can expose the top of net , He needs to make himself seem bigger by not playing so low to ice

Positives
-Good at tracking puck even thru traffic
-Good glove
-Good down low with his pads
-Good athleticism especially his post to post reflexes

I have doubts about you ever seeing him play as you claim of him not having the quickness of a Niemi for example is very wrong

Like I said in alot of ways he reminds me of Pavalec in Atlanta... Both play a bit of an uneven/unorthodox style that has its kinks but with good coaching are easily fixable.

I think Waite is a good coach so I like the kid's chances to succeed in NHL if he comes to Hawks. I would also say a year with Marty Turco a goalie who has always relied on his athleticism mentoring him would be very helpful in developing his game

---- To Florida fans ,,,, Who the hell teaches D in AHL for you? ,,, Someone should tell your dman that the defender shouldn't be given free reign to bump and screen your goalie at top of crease ----

Well there is my opinion Brevard ,,,,,, Feel free to bash it or whatever you want with it like you do with every opinion I ever make

Enjoy

Old
08-08-2010, 09:54 PM
brevard*

So you post one great save and he is a top notch prospect? if i post the clip of Jason Strudwick (as a Hawks) going end to end through all 5 defenders shorthanded and scoring a goal does it make him a #1 center?

What i said (and my reference to Niemi should have made it clear) was quick with his leg. ... Note in your long clip he is often down with legs underneath him. (as the other poster and i both note he does not or rarely butterflys) Niemi also does this but Antti seemed to have a lightning quick leg kick to make that 1st stop. Salak doesn't have it. And what you call good tracking and good athleticism most others would note often takes him out of the crease as he overplays and is dependent on reflexes.
I think with a guy like Crawford (using a guy we are both familiar with) who has basic tools can be taught to adjust because the change is more refinement. Salak could be a star but to me for that to happen he needs stop pretending to be an acrobat and learn how to be a goalie. This was evident in the 09 prospects camp where his unorthodox saves were stuff highlight reels are made of yet he gave up twice as many goals as the next worst goalie (some huge russian who looked like a sumo wrestler) that wasn't even listed on the list of players.

And i don't trash everything you post, just the silly trade proposals. Want to take a shot on Salak/ A 4th would be more than fair.

Old
08-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

Quote:
So you post one great save and he is a top notch prospect? if i post the clip of Jason Strudwick (as a Hawks) going end to end through all 5 defenders shorthanded and scoring a goal does it make him a #1 center?

What i said (and my reference to Niemi should have made it clear) was quick with his leg. ... Note in your long clip he is often down with legs underneath him. (as the other poster and i both note he does not or rarely butterflys) Niemi also does this but Antti seemed to have a lightning quick leg kick to make that 1st stop. Salak doesn't have it. And what you call good tracking and good athleticism most others would note often takes him out of the crease as he overplays and is dependent on reflexes.
I think with a guy like Crawford (using a guy we are both familiar with) who has basic tools can be taught to adjust because the change is more refinement. Salak could be a star but to me for that to happen he needs stop pretending to be an acrobat and learn how to be a goalie. This was evident in the 09 prospects camp where his unorthodox saves were stuff highlight reels are made of yet he gave up twice as many goals as the next worst goalie (some huge russian who looked like a sumo wrestler) that wasn't even listed on the list of players.

And i don't trash everything you post, just the silly trade proposals. Want to take a shot on Salak/ A 4th would be more than fair.
Was the Russian Gayduchenko?

With Crawford I question his quickness. At times he just seems so slow post to post and doesn't recover well when faced with rebounds.

Toivonen I actually like the potential of better to make the team. He was a blue chip prospect before injuries and inconsistancy took there toll on him. He looked good in Peoria behind a weak D and I think he could work well in our system and He has worked on his positioning over what it was with Blues.

That year in Finland seemed to do him alot of good

Last edited by Blackhawkswincup: 08-08-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old
08-08-2010, 10:07 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
No thanks, but that's just because I view drafting an unproven goalie at any round before the fifth to be idiotic. Would much rather see us sign a goalie out of college then give up such an asset for a possible platoon minor league goalie.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:

With Crawford I question his quickness. At times he just seems so slow post to post and doesn't recover well when faced with rebounds.

Toivonen I actually like the potential of better to make the team. He was a blue chip prospect before injuries and inconsistancy took there toll on him. He looked good in Peoria behind a weak D and I think he could work well in our system and He has worked on his positioning over what it was with Blues.

Yeah, it was Gayduchenko. He has very good stats in the KHL, when he has played. He hasn't played a lot the last few years though. He's been stuck behind some good goalies. He was just traded to another team for a 1st round KHL draft pick and he figures to get a lot more playing time now. I put him ahead of Salak. For me it goes,

1 Markstrom
2 Cheverie
3 Gayduchenko
4 Plante
5 Salak
6 Brittain

Brian Foster I'd put ahead of Brittain but it's unlikely we sign him before 8/15, we have nowhere to put him. I don't think fixing Salak's game will be necessarily that easy. He's a big question mark right now. A guy like Plante doesn't even have that great an upside but he has good size, good fundamentals and doesn't beat himself.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:28 PM
brevard*

Quote:

Might have been him. the only reason your guy stuck out is he was diving around like that miniature goalie in the commercials.

You and I are both fans of Toivonen. There is a guy who has the tools.
Hopefully Crawford shows he can do the job and if Toivonen holds up in the AHL we have a decent tandem moving forward.
I also think it was you who thought Niemi might end up in europe for a year and then come back and that the hawks (for the right price) might be a suitor. ... I could see it.

Old
08-09-2010, 04:38 AM
Gudbranson44

Quote:

the only reason that we all would like this deal is because we have many good goalie prospects, and to get a 2nd for one of them would benefit us more than sending him on a loan to another ahl team.
He's definitely worth a 2nd, and if he was on a canadian team's prospect list he probably would be worth a 1st and a good prospect..
give him guidance and he will become a solid nhler

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 04:41 AM
habsman56
Habs&Hoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisournextbure View Post
the only reason that we all would like this deal is because we have many good goalie prospects, and to get a 2nd for one of them would benefit us more than sending him on a loan to another ahl team.
He's definitely worth a 2nd, and if he was on a canadian team's prospect list he probably would be worth a 1st and a good prospect..
give him guidance and he will become a solid nhler
I'm sure you could get a 2nd, but I doubt you'd get a 1st and good prospect, seeing as Halak, a much more proven goalie coming off an outstanding playoffs got a return of less value (Eller = good prospect, Schultz =/= 1st)

habsman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:32 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Goalies don't have much trade value. Starters get moved for peanuts. Project prospects....

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote