Old
08-08-2010, 10:03 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Further, I've never argued nothing else did happen, rather I've consistently countered your repeated contention meetings are not important or would have little bearing on discipline. They do and they should.
This is ridiculous. I've never said meetings aren't important. I've said that missing 1 meeting by 10 minutes the day before a game is not grounds for being benched for that game when that player is of a certain significance to the team.

Prove an instance of a hockey player getting suspended for missing a meeting other than Ribeiro, please.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Chad_

vCash: 500
No, I know what you've written as we've discussed it on this board before. You were wrong then and you are wrong on the topic now.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
The fact that Souray cleared waivers is a clear indication he was never seriously someone the Stars had targeted as a player they wanted. They could have had him for free, because the Oilers want him gone. The whole Ribeiro-for-Souray rumor was a ridiculous concoction at best that never had any real traction in reality. I know some people "heard" this from people they trust, but those original sources have been wrong time and again and have basically shattered their credibility. This is another nail in that coffin.

Similarly, if the Stars really, really wanted Ribeiro gone, he'd be on waivers and almost surely taken because of his statistics alone (whereas Souray, well, just sucks). Or they'd flip him for the equivalent of Janne Niinimaa. When a team wants a player gone as badly as some people around here speculate the Stars want Ribeiro gone, they find ways to move him.

All that said, I don't doubt Ribeiro could be had for the right price (though I think they'd hold out for a Top 2 defenseman rather than a Top 4 - they've already got more than enough 3/4 defensemen on the team). He's a player in a position with redundancies that can command high return, and he's likely reaching or at the peak of his career, where you know what you're giving up unlike the other position with redundancies.

IIRC, Heika is not allowed to use unnamed sources per DMN policy unless it's a huge, huge story (and all of this is really just summer boredom filler), so none of these nonsense, non-sourced rumors would ever get past his editors even if he wanted to run them.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:41 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
No team is going to take Souray without sending salary back to Edmonton, plenty of teams would take him on re-entry waivers.

The biggest problem with the Ribeiro situation is Phoenix, they would love to acquire him simply they don't have the money.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:11 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
The biggest problem with the Ribeiro situation is Phoenix, they would love to acquire him simply they don't have the money.
I have to ask. Are you truly connected to anybody who would have inside knowledge on these situations? Or are your proclamations more or less based on internet rumor-mongoring? I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just asking because you always seem so sure of these things.

Phoenix may indeed covet Ribeiro, but there are only two players on their roster who would be worth it from a Stars POV: Yandle, and Lepisto. Yandle would be a dream come true while Lepisto wouldn't really fill a pressing need, but would be another capable defenseman (I really like his game, but he's not worth trading Ribeiro for). OEL is a gem and there's no way a team like Phoenix trades him.

So again, even if you are connected, this is a case where the dots don't really connect.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:20 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

Jovo and his massive salary is the only thing that I think could work, but he has a NTC.

Old
08-09-2010, 12:23 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Good god I hope not.

Old
08-09-2010, 12:43 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

Well if you think the team had interest in Souray then it follows that they'd be interested in Jovo too. Overpaid and bad defensively, sure -- but he's "tough to play against" and has a big shot!

Old
08-09-2010, 12:45 PM
TrueGrit

Did Crawford have Jovo in Vancouver?

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:49 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

He did indeed, for 6 full years. Good catch.

Old
08-09-2010, 02:17 PM
________

I don't know regarding Jovo but the two things I read the Stars either want prospects/picks return or a defenseman they want for Ribeiro. A picks/prospects return allows the Stars to acquire the defenseman they want at another time.

The speculation was teams are insisting the Stars take some junk salary($2.5+ million) in return so take it for what it's worth..

As for the Souray thing don't people think he had at least decent value before he asked for the trade and broke his wrist?

Last edited by ________: 08-09-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old
08-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Yeah, his value's at an all time low right now, but he's a proven goal threat from the blueline, something this team sorely needs. I definitely wouldn't give up Ribeiro for him unless some significant prospects were coming Dallas's way as well, but for the right price I think Souray would fit here. Jovo too, but that contract ain't pretty.

08-09-2010, 02:50 PM
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Yeah, his value's at an all time low right now, but he's a proven goal threat from the blueline, something this team sorely needs. I definitely wouldn't give up Ribeiro for him unless some significant prospects were coming Dallas's way as well, but for the right price I think Souray would fit here. Jovo too, but that contract ain't pretty.
The biggest thing is at the time when it was going to happen Souray was healthy and never asked for the trade to the media at least. He fit exactly what they were seeking big shot from the point, tough to play against, a veteran presence and a "leader".

People are just looking at at this time in view when he has no value and coming off of the broken wrist along with requesting the trade to the public. If it weren't for the broken wrist Souray would already be with the Stars. Ribeiro also wasn't cleared to play yet at the time. Which I'm glad Souray is not with the Stars.

So based off the past I did figure it still could be a option until either is dealt.

I'm not here to make up stuff or anything, I am completely adamant on the original source. There are a lot of things that go on behind the scenes that don't ever get confirmed or people find hard to believe. I do wish there was a way to prove it with a source that's 100% believable by HF's standards but there is not at this time.

Old
08-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
So then you need to qualify your statement's with a source (or at least, "I heard this from someone with the organization") instead of stating it as fact. That's against the TOS, technically, not that I'm going to go around reporting all the skirting of it unless someone is acting like an ass.

And Souray has never been considered a "leader" or particularly "tough to play against," I don't know what alternate universe you're living in where he was. He's always been considered a floater with a big booming shot who was made of glass but a PP asset when he was healthy.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 03:46 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
As for the Souray thing don't people think he had at least decent value before he asked for the trade and broke his wrist?
That's all in the past so it's kind of immaterial at this point, but I'll go ahead and make a case against him now because he clearly wasn't the same player he was prior to this season after his injuries.

- He did only play in 37 games. He has missed large chunks of seasons in the past and in all likelihood this trend will continue as he gets older.

-He ranked 3rd on the Oilers in PP TOI/GM (3+ mins)...yet he only managed 4 PP points. Points, not goals. He didn't have any of those. His biggest calling card, the bazooka from the point, in 123 minutes over the course of 37 games helped Sheldon Souray score ZERO PP goals.

Ok, now on to this "tough to play against" subject.

WTF does it mean anyways? This is a shifting phrase. It means different things to different people. The assumption by many is that it means simply being more physical. This is one interpretation, and based on some of Nieuwendyk's signings it would appear to be a core aspect of how he defines being "tough to play against."

The question one has to ask is if being one of the more physical teams in the league has a direct correlation with winning. Some physical teams are winners, but certainly not all winners are physical teams. I would argue that if they're going to play copy-cat with the team's identity (as they have with the up and down offense philosophy) then they should look at the teams winning the most every year. Physicality is most certainly not a requirement to being one of the best teams. Detroit is the prime example here. Because of their puck possession style they are one of the toughest teams in the league to play against, bar none. They are an unashamedly non-tough team. Being a tough, physical team is different from being tough to play against.

Which brings us back to our good ol' boy Souray. Sure, he hits. And he has that big shot from the point. But he has never been mistaken for a great defender. I fail to see how his throwing a hit every now and again makes him part of a winning 'tough to play against' strategy on the Stars.

Old
08-09-2010, 03:49 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
So then you need to qualify your statement's with a source (or at least, "I heard this from someone with the organization") instead of stating it as fact. That's against the TOS, technically, not that I'm going to go around reporting all the skirting of it unless someone is acting like an ass.
This. You need to specify when something you say is from your source or something you are saying. We need context.

Old
08-09-2010, 04:09 PM
________

I agree Souray doesn't have that much to offer other then his shot I don't want him at all, but I was just giving out info on the subject. I'm not going to discuss Souray anymore unless a trade happens and regarding the source again, I don't want to bring up someone else into this Lobo knows who the person is and their credibility.

Maybe I should've written it differently or some such, but with the source's track record (100%) they are as accurate as they come. I'm not going to talk about the source anymore either.

Onto the actual point.

Now overall wouldn't that say something in terms of Ribeiro's value?

Do you think Boucher had the same exact trade value as Sydor back in 08 when the trade happened? or was it just the case of The Stars found the target they wanted and they accepted less which happens when team's target certain players.

Old
08-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Do you think Boucher had the same exact trade value as Sydor back in 08 when the trade happened? or was it just the case of The Stars found the target they wanted and they accepted less which happens when team's target certain players.
Sure. When one makes a trade then they are thinking the asset you acquire will help you more than the asset you are trading away.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 05:53 PM
glovesave_35
Name

____, you don't have to bring up the source, just be sure that when you are putting out information you've gotten from said source you say so. Otherwise I'll assume it's an original thought from you said in a declarative manner.

Old
08-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

why not a kaberle for ribeiro trade? leafs get a top 6 center and dallas gets help on D. bad or good?

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Caseman

Bad.

Kaberle is a rental. Ribeiro is locked for years. Dallas isn't a player away from being a contender.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 09:43 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Caseman for fielding this one.

Old
08-14-2010, 08:13 AM
TrueGrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Caseman for fielding this one.

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Caseman

It's all about TEAM

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
The speculation was teams are insisting the Stars take some junk salary($2.5+ million) in return so take it for what it's worth..
I think this has to be half expected. Maybe not a junk salary, but as long as we can throw in a Woywitka or Skrastins, I think it would at least be fair to take back half the total salary. So somewhere in the range of 2.8 to 3.2 (Hecht) in salary plus a good prospect/pick (Gragnani) to even up the player value side of things. It frees up a spot and some cash to at least inquire about Souray.

Quote:
Edmonton is the real loser here. They've already paid the bulk of his salary (his $/game played over the past 3 seasons is higher than that of a player playing 82 and making 10M) and gotten nothing out of him outside 08-09. He's doesn't have great value, but everyone has a good idea what he's capable of.

I'm not opposed to it, we've taken quite a few risks in our signings of late, why not roll the dice again? Edmonton is not a great city, even if you have money to burn. I'm sure he'd be much happier in Dallas, for many reasons beyond proximity to family members.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote