HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Sportsnet One on Shaw?

Old
08-08-2010, 09:30 PM
BAuldie

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
Again guys, I wouldn't worry about a local provider (Shaw.. Bell.. Telus etc) not carrying the channel. There is a reason they picked up Canucks games and that was to sell it to providers in BC.

A cable provider is not going to risk missing out on showing 13 Canucks games.. would have some angry customers.

Just may take some last minute wrangling depending on what Rogers demands are for fee for carriage.

BAuldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Shaw is the largest Television Provider in the Lower Mainland, So it being on Bell is NOT more important.
Not all of us are on shaw though. I'm on Bell as well and they will probably add it. Bell (imo) is much better than Shaw.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:01 AM
Apu
Ex-pat in Oiler Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lu View Post
All Sportsnet One games will be available for free streaming on Canucks.com though right? I thought i read this somewhere.
Only if you're in BC/Yukon, otherwise it's business as usual with NHL Centre Ice (or via secret ways).

Apu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
Not all of us are on shaw though. I'm on Bell as well and they will probably add it. Bell (imo) is much better than Shaw.
I have the expanded sports pack with Telus Optik TV and I would assume that is where the new channel will end up if it is not on the basic sports package. As this is supposedly a national sports channel similar to TSN it should not be an issue.

BTW Telus satellite TV is the same as Bell Satellite as Telus is re-seller/distributor in BC and Alberta.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:31 AM
npham

In Calgary, with NHL CI, I should get most of these PPV games, correct? Just like last year when the Canucks did the PPV and was free for me.

npham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:51 AM
Nine to Five
Now Eight to Four!

I was missing for a month and I don't usually follow these news..
All previous PPV games will now be on a "sportsnet 2" channel?
I'm on basic cable and I didn't even have TSN before until they switched it over to channel 23 on shaw; just curious if this'll affect the usual sportsnet games i've grown accustomed to.

Nine to Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:52 AM
Cromulence
Up and at them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine to Five View Post
I was missing for a month and I don't usually follow these news..
All previous PPV games will now be on a "sportsnet 2" channel?
I'm on basic cable and I didn't even have TSN before until they switched it over to channel 23 on shaw; just curious if this'll affect the usual sportsnet games i've grown accustomed to.
Sportsnet Pacific will have the same amount of games as usual. Sportsnet One is getting the games that used to be PPV. At the very least, you should have the same amount of Canucks games on your cable as you did last year.

Cromulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 02:27 AM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
I have the expanded sports pack with Telus Optik TV and I would assume that is where the new channel will end up if it is not on the basic sports package. As this is supposedly a national sports channel similar to TSN it should not be an issue.

BTW Telus satellite TV is the same as Bell Satellite as Telus is re-seller/distributor in BC and Alberta.
Telus seems like a great option as well. I saw your post on CDC about it and it's definately interesting.

They probably have the best interface and menu designs that i've seen.

Old
08-09-2010, 02:28 AM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by npham View Post
In Calgary, with NHL CI, I should get most of these PPV games, correct? Just like last year when the Canucks did the PPV and was free for me.
The only games you wont get on CI are Vancouver/Calgary and possibly Edmonton/Vancouver.

But they'll be on Sportsnet anyway. Unless Edm/CGy has a PPV game against the Canucks.

Old
08-13-2010, 05:06 PM
Eukaryote

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Hello I get Shaw HD and Rogers Sportsnet HD TSN 1 and 2 in HD but has anyone heard any news on whether Shaw will carry it. I need it.
Well after quite sometime Shaw finally responded to my email about it:

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you for your email and we apologize for the delay in response. At this time we are reviewing this potentially new service which is currently only exclusive to the Ontario region.

Our decisions on channels to carry are made carefully with consideration to factors including: CRTC regulations, mass appeal of channels, past success of similar themed channels, success of channels in other markets, technical and business implications, etc.

We appreciate you making your interests known to us. We have noted your request, and this will be forwarded on for future consideration.

Please let us know if you have any questions. Our phone number is 310-SHAW(7429) and we are available to you Monday-Friday from 8:00AM-8:00PM, and Saturday/Sunday from 8:00AM-6:00PM. We are also least busy on evenings and weekends
I'm not optimistic they'll carry it here. Maybe more people need to rattle Shaw's cage about it.

Eukaryote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 05:11 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eukaryote View Post

I'm not optimistic they'll carry it here. Maybe more people need to rattle Shaw's cage about it.
Wait until the first Nucks game is aired on One. If they still don't have it available by then they'll be swamped with calls and complaints. Could be quite hilarious actually.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:

If they don't, I'm jumping to whoever has it. Simple as that. I bought my HDPVR basically for the Canucks. I have a feeling Shaw won't want to potentially lose a few hundred thousand customers.

They'll get it done.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Lol, so it's not available anywhere in BC? I just saw a bus ad toting 'Sportsnet One' with a huge picture of Henrik on it, and 'inquire with your local cable provider' below a huge badge that said "NOW AVAILABLE".

I'm assuming the Canucks are involved with the ad, so I find it hilarious they're advertising this new channel and there is a chance it won't even be available in Vancouver.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 05:22 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Lol, so it's not available anywhere in BC? I just saw a bus ad toting 'Sportsnet One' with a huge picture of Henrik on it, and 'inquire with your local cable provider' below a huge badge that said "NOW AVAILABLE".

I'm assuming the Canucks are involved with the ad, so I find it hilarious they're advertising this new channel and there is a chance it won't even be available in Vancouver.
That's just a good buisness plan. Drum up the demand and then go sell it to the providers. I have a feeling this could get ugly, seems like Sportsnet might be trying to hit the jackpot here.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 05:24 PM
19nazzy

I find it hard to believe that a channel already confirmed to be showing Canucks games that will be blacked out everywhere but in B.C./Yukon won't be available in B.C.

08-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
That's just a good buisness plan. Drum up the demand and then go sell it to the providers. I have a feeling this could get ugly, seems like Sportsnet might be trying to hit the jackpot here.
It could also be 'false advertising' if no local cable providers opt to pick it up.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 05:30 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Not Sportsnet. Rogers is trying to hit the jackpot. Morons. Hate that company with a passion and this today is just making me hate them even more.

EDIT: Calling Rogers morons, not anyone on here.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Meganuck*

Bell has said they wont add it yet. I emailed them.

Old
08-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Wetcoaster

Just checked the Telus Optik TV website - only new channel that is announced currently is Playhouse Disney - Ch. 74

Old
08-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Quote:

I'm not much of a linguist, and I'm miles away from being a cunning one, but in my opinion, the way they worded this is crap.....

"currently only exclusive to the Ontario region."

That could mean Ontario is the province excluded (left out), or that it's the only province guaranteed to get it. Exclusive can be a paradoxical word.

Quote:
ex·clu·sive   [ik-skloo-siv, -ziv] Show IPA
–adjective

2. belonging to a particular individual or group and to no other; not shared: exclusive rights

excluding or tending to exclude, as from use or possession:
I'm not sure what they meant by that to be honest. As fas as I'm concerned they need to clarify that.

Last edited by Chairman Maouth: 08-13-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Chairman Maouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 05:47 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Just checked the Telus Optik TV website - only new channel that is announced currently is Playhouse Disney - Ch. 74
WHAT!? That settles it, I'm switching over to Telus!

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 05:50 PM
BAuldie

Yea Rogers is trying to hold their rivals hostage at this point. Most people don't understand the ins out and outs carrying a channel like Sportsnet One and automatically assume that it's Shaw's or Telus' or Bell's fault that the channel isn't being carried when, in reality, its the fact that Rogers is demanding way to much money for these companies to carry the channel.

I'm a huge Jays fan and it looks like I'm going to be missing out on some games until this gets fixed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Telus, Bell and Shaw kind of band together for a little bit. Once one breaks rank, the rest will, but as long as none of the companies have it, there won't be a desperate need for the others to get it.

I still fully expect it to be resolved before hockey season. Someone will blink. Rogers won't be getting any ad revenue for games they are probably paying a healthy chunk of cash for if no cable providers in BC are carrying it.

Last edited by BAuldie: 08-13-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old
08-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
WHAT!? That settles it, I'm switching over to Telus!
And a free August preview of Discovery World HD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
08-13-2010, 06:49 PM
black ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAuldie View Post
Yea Rogers is trying to hold their rivals hostage at this point. Most people don't understand the ins out and outs carrying a channel like Sportsnet One and automatically assume that it's Shaw's or Telus' or Bell's fault that the channel isn't being carried when, in reality, its the fact that Rogers is demanding way to much money for these companies to carry the channel.

I'm a huge Jays fan and it looks like I'm going to be missing out on some games until this gets fixed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Telus, Bell and Shaw kind of band together for a little bit. Once one breaks rank, the rest will, but as long as none of the companies have it, there won't be a desperate need for the others to get it.

I still fully expect it to be resolved before hockey season. Someone will blink. Rogers won't be getting any ad revenue for games they are probably paying a healthy chunk of cash for if no cable providers in BC are carrying it.
Remember though that the Canucks (and Coilers and Flames) ditched there ppv to go with One. That tells me that Rogers paid more money to get these 13 games which will be show regionally in BC. Only problem is they arent on in BC (yet) my guess is nothing will happen with Shaw until there is the deadline of the first hockey game being missed.

No way Rogers would pay the money to the Canucks then not broadcast the games.

black ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 07:00 PM
BAuldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by black ace View Post
Remember though that the Canucks (and Coilers and Flames) ditched there ppv to go with One. That tells me that Rogers paid more money to get these 13 games which will be show regionally in BC. Only problem is they arent on in BC (yet) my guess is nothing will happen with Shaw until there is the deadline of the first hockey game being missed.

No way Rogers would pay the money to the Canucks then not broadcast the games.
Isn't that what I was saying? Rogers is going to call peoples bluffs until the possibility of them losing money on the addition of the PPV games comes up. If advertisers start hesitating because the big 3 out west don't have it, Rogers will drop their demands.