Notices

not signing phaneuf a mistake!

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2004, 05:26 PM
the future

vCash: 500
not signing phaneuf a mistake!

with the flames depth on the blueline paper thin with brennan evans a groin pull away from being the 6th man. the flames should have signed dion. he would be able to practice with the team and the coaches could gauge his readiness to play. if he's not ready, no problem leave him be . if he proves better than evans, theres your reason to sign him. best case scenario they spot him on the pp and a healthy fresh body eats up some minutes. worst case, he sits on the bench. how many stanley cup runs is this guy going to go through. my prediction: not many

Old
05-28-2004, 07:35 PM
icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by the future
with the flames depth on the blueline paper thin with brennan evans a groin pull away from being the 6th man. the flames should have signed dion. he would be able to practice with the team and the coaches could gauge his readiness to play. if he's not ready, no problem leave him be . if he proves better than evans, theres your reason to sign him. best case scenario they spot him on the pp and a healthy fresh body eats up some minutes. worst case, he sits on the bench. how many stanley cup runs is this guy going to go through. my prediction: not many
Sign him so he can be a bench warmer? Um... no. Why not wait until a new CBA which may have lower provisions for the rookie max etc? He has already proven better than Evans (in training camp), but he isn't yet ahead of Montador or Commodore on the depth chart so it would be foolish to sign him so he can sit in the press box.

Old
05-28-2004, 11:52 PM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

What's everyones problem with Brennan Evans? Granted he needs a lot of development but it's not like the organization signed him merely to pad a minor league roster, given that they already suspended their primary AHL affliliate. They figure he might have some game down the line otherwise they are just throwing money away and wouldn't have signed him. How is Evan's situation any different that Steve Montador's?

Last edited by Bicycle Repairman: 05-29-2004 at 12:00 AM.
Old
05-29-2004, 08:57 AM
the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus
Sign him so he can be a bench warmer? Um... no. Why not wait until a new CBA which may have lower provisions for the rookie max etc? He has already proven better than Evans (in training camp), but he isn't yet ahead of Montador or Commodore on the depth chart so it would be foolish to sign him so he can sit in the press box.
since phaneuf was drafted under the current cba , he is subject to those rules. not the new ones. lets say they lose 2 d men , ference and commodore, then what do you do? umm play regehr,leopold, montador,warrener, evans and ? uh there is nobody left.

Old
05-29-2004, 10:13 AM
Hitman*

If we tried to sign him now, we wouldn't exaclty be able to work out a good deal. His agent would take advantage of the situation and we'd end up paying more than we would if the two parties went through a summer negotiation.

If we do go down 4 defensemen in the finals, then we may have to sign him, but since we still have 7 healthy ones, why should we?

Old
05-29-2004, 12:15 PM
the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
If we tried to sign him now, we wouldn't exaclty be able to work out a good deal. His agent would take advantage of the situation and we'd end up paying more than we would if the two parties went through a summer negotiation.

If we do go down 4 defensemen in the finals, then we may have to sign him, but since we still have 7 healthy ones, why should we?
i agree if he demands the max plus bonuses for tying his shoes correctly for 3-4 million. but for a club that has had 11 home games minimum, a merchandising bonanza this playoffs, quibbling over a couple hundred thousand, i wouldn't do it, i would play it safe and sign him if the demands arent outrageous. if you wait til your down to 4 dmen to sign him, well now your really over a barrel now arent you?

Old
05-29-2004, 12:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Isn't Lydman coming back?

Old
05-29-2004, 01:27 PM
Snakeeye

Quote:
since phaneuf was drafted under the current cba , he is subject to those rules. not the new ones. lets say they lose 2 d men , ference and commodore, then what do you do? umm play regehr,leopold, montador,warrener, evans and ? uh there is nobody left.
Then you sign Phaneuf.

What do we do if Iginla, Gelinas, Conroy, Simon, Kiprusoff and Turek all go down?

What a stupid argument.

Old
05-29-2004, 03:14 PM
the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
Then you sign Phaneuf.

What do we do if Iginla, Gelinas, Conroy, Simon, Kiprusoff and Turek all go down?

What a stupid argument.
one injury way from brennan evans being your 6th dman is a stupid argument? 2 injuries away from having no one ready at all? i think you better go back to 17th order your crantini, and try waiting a few more years until the flames could possibly have this chance again. what im saying to the dull minded is why take a chance when you could never be in this postion again.

Old
05-29-2004, 07:06 PM
MrMackey

What ever happened to Jesse Wallin?

Old
05-29-2004, 07:27 PM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
What ever happened to Jesse Wallin?
Wallin suffered a career-ending concussion his first game with the Lowell Lock Monsters. His retirement is imminent.

Old
05-29-2004, 08:13 PM
I.am.ca

If we go down to 4 defenseman in the finals, then you put 2 forwards as defensemen. Your 2 best gritty players that are good defensively.

Which wouldn't be hard to choose from.

Old
05-29-2004, 08:15 PM
I.am.ca

The stanley cup finals can make a guy say "F the pain, i'm playin..." Bobby Baun (i think it was him) froze his damn leg and played and won the cup to boot. Doug Lidster played with a broken foot (or was it Plavsic? i forget) but you get my point. When its the finals, you do whatever u can to play, if ur hurt, bandage that bad boy up.

Old
05-29-2004, 11:38 PM
Snakeeye

Quote:
one injury way from brennan evans being your 6th dman is a stupid argument? 2 injuries away from having no one ready at all? i think you better go back to 17th order your crantini, and try waiting a few more years until the flames could possibly have this chance again. what im saying to the dull minded is why take a chance when you could never be in this postion again.
Yes, it is an assinine argument.

You know that we can sign Phaneuf at any time, right? Basically hoping for two injuries just so you can prance around yelling "I told you so" is just trying to stir the pot for no benifit.

Why waste the money on a player that we will more than likely not need in the first place? Worry about what to do if a defenseman gets injured when it happens. To do it before is a waste of time.

Closed Thread