HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brian Rolston

Old
08-08-2010, 11:18 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

vCash: 500
Aren't the Islanders struggling to reach the cap floor?

Jeez, just take him.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:19 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashing Lights View Post
Oh and Kaberle is coming back the other way.

sure we will add Grabovski too all you have to do is add Parise.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

LOL, Im just messing with you buddy.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:22 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanghostx View Post

Jeez, just take him.
They will make it with a bonus laden contract to Doug Weight.

Old
08-08-2010, 11:23 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashing Lights View Post
LOL, Im just messing with you buddy.
lol my last comment was as serious as I'm sure your Kaberle one was.

Old
08-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I think Lou would be willing to give him up for free, if we keep Kovy.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
I'd give Rolston + 1st to a team for a salary dump that can be waived and buried.

Unfortunately, I think it'll end up being Zubrus who gets moved instead, which will make me sad.

This isn't to say Rolston isn't a good player. He is, and he has value. It's just the negative value of his contract outweighs the positive value of his play.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:47 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I think Lou would be willing to give him up for free, if we keep Kovy.
Of course he would but no one would take him for free.

Old
08-08-2010, 11:54 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Of course he would but no one would take him for free.
You never know. It would require some GM pulling a Sutter and losing his mind, but it is possible. At this point, even Rolston for future considerations is acceptable to Devils fans.

However, as CD said, Zubrus and Salvador are more likely to be on their way out. It's too bad, because Zubrus is awesome, but if it has to be done to keep Kovy, I won't complain.

Old
08-08-2010, 11:55 PM
mstad101

Fla sent Horton to Boston, they may need to replace some of that offence.
Plus they may have some rooks that don't impress at camp.
Idk, Fla seems like a good bet, atleast they could find a spot on the roster for his last two years, while whatever the bonus to taking his contract on develops.
Maybe a deal around Clarkson? Is he still with the Devs?

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
Fla sent Horton to Boston, they may need to replace some of that offence.
Plus they may have some rooks that don't impress at camp.
Idk, Fla seems like a good bet, atleast they could find a spot on the roster for his last two years, while whatever the bonus to taking his contract on develops.
Maybe a deal around Clarkson? Is he still with the Devs?
Clarkson just re-signed, he's going nowhere. Besides, he'd be in high demand if we chose to sell him off, so it would take quite a return.

Old
TheMagnificentOne66

I agree Zubrus and Salvador are likely to get moved once this thing sorts out with Kovalchuk.

Rolston's contract is terrible, NJ would have to give up a prospect or high pick for someone to even consider taking that plus take a bad contract back.

TheMagnificentOne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagnificentOne66 View Post
I agree Zubrus and Salvador are likely to get moved once this thing sorts out with Kovalchuk.

Rolston's contract is terrible, NJ would have to give up a prospect or high pick for someone to even consider taking that plus take a bad contract back.
Which would be fine. Perfectly acceptable. I knew when we handed out that contract it would bite us later, and it will this offseason one way or the other. If that's the price of rectifying the mistake, so be it.

Old
08-09-2010, 12:04 AM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Clarkson just re-signed, he's going nowhere. Besides, he'd be in high demand if we chose to sell him off, so it would take quite a return.
Ya, exactly why I mentioned Clarkson, because I knew he had atleast some value.
Though I didn't know he just re-signed a contract.

Honestly I don't know much bout New Jerseys needs or prospect pool.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:07 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
Ya, exactly why I mentioned Clarkson, because I knew he had atleast some value.
Though I didn't know he just re-signed a contract.

Honestly I don't know much bout New Jerseys needs or prospect pool.
Our needs are cap space (now) and a defenseman puck-mover (at the deadline). Our prospects are solid in terms of depth and quality, but there are no potential stars beyond Tedenby and maybe Josefson (although Urbom, Merrill, and Gelinas all could be top-pairing defensemen someday).

Old
08-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Anthrax Jones

Teams like the Devils and Hawks should be forced to deal with the bad contracts they hand out, instead of signing more high-end players to ridiculous contracts and then canvassing the league, hats in hand, looking to dump the previous bad contracts. If I'm the Isles, Avs, Oilers, or any other team with cap space and a team like that asks me to save them from their own mistakes, I'd be telling them to pound salt. Snow and Sherman, while relatively unproven, seem astute enough not to provide the shovel these teams need.

Anthrax Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Scottyk9
Connor McDevil

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Rolston
4th
Eckford

for

Anything from anyone.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:23 AM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanghostx View Post

Jeez, just take him.
The Isles don't want him. In fact, I wouldn't expect there to be any teams clamoring to get a deal done in acquiring him and the $10M he's still owed over the next 2 years. That's not to say Rolston is bad or anything...there are just plenty of more viable, cost-effective options that most franchises have available to them...instead of relieving another team (especially one in the same division) of their cap problems...in this case a $5M cap hit for a 37 year old bottom 6er.

Unless it's a ridiculous overpayment...most teams (especially the Isles) aren't in the business of doing teams like the Devils a favor.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:23 AM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Skills Booth View Post
Teams like the Devils and Hawks should be forced to deal with the bad contracts they hand out, instead of signing more high-end players to ridiculous contracts and then canvassing the league, hats in hand, looking to dump the previous bad contracts. If I'm the Isles, Avs, Oilers, or any other team with cap space and a team like that asks me to save them from their own mistakes, I'd be telling them to pound salt. Snow and Sherman, while relatively unproven, seem astute enough not to provide the shovel these teams need.
you see the thing is, these GM's might not want to help the devils out of this, but there is a GM out there who desires a top 6 forward that would be dirt cheap to acquire and get a good asset in return for filling their need. every GM wants to put the best possible team out there every night, and i seriously doubt no one will take rolston and a valuable asset (whether it be a first or a prospect), when he can improve his team, because the devils dug themselves a hole here.

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
They don't look at it this way. Being an NHL GM is not all about screwing the other teams, it's about making your team better by any way you can. You're right that some of the mistake contracts are probably unmovable, but teams with cap space can often pick up decent players for pennies on the dollar by "saving the other team from its own mistakes". Why wouldn't they do so?

Old
08-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Crimson Devil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn126 View Post
Rolston+1st round+2nd round in 2011 for Kaberle

But seriously, Gagne went for Matt Walker and a 4th, and I'd see he has more value (much better production at only a slightly higher cap hit, not to mention he's younger) so I'd expect something like a borderline 4th liner/ bottom pairing d-man and a late round pick, or a bust prospect.

Nothing to look forward to, IMO.
Just so people are aware, our second round pick in '11 was used in the Jason Arnott trade.

Crimson Devil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:51 AM
Anthrax Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jersey Devils View Post
you see the thing is, these GM's might not want to help the devils out of this, but there is a GM out there who desires a top 6 forward that would be dirt cheap to acquire and get a good asset in return for filling their need. every GM wants to put the best possible team out there every night, and i seriously doubt no one will take rolston and a valuable asset (whether it be a first or a prospect), when he can improve his team, because the devils dug themselves a hole here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
They don't look at it this way. Being an NHL GM is not all about screwing the other teams, it's about making your team better by any way you can. You're right that some of the mistake contracts are probably unmovable, but teams with cap space can often pick up decent players for pennies on the dollar by "saving the other team from its own mistakes". Why wouldn't they do so?
The three contracts I have in mind specifically (Rolston, Campbell, Huet) were unmovable before the ink was even dry. Now, in subsequent years, the Hawks and Devils go out and sign more big ticket players, Hossa and Kovalchuk, without regard to the implications. They figure "ah, we'll get someone to take the original bad deals off our hands so we can fit our new toys under the cap." I don't want to see them weasel out of it, and I really don't see how any of these players is worth the cap hit to ANY team out there, given their age/declining skills. The teams that have cap space are generally younger, rebuilding teams who would be taking ice time away from younger talent by icing these older guys. It's an arrogant attitude to take, and we'll see a stop to it when a team like the Devils loses a Parise because they can't sucker anyone into taking Brian Rolston's awful contract.

One other thing that's a shame in this situation is the implication that Brian Rolston is anything other than a great player who happens to be on the wrong side of 30. Rolston and Campbell are tremendous talents deserving of respect, and the Devils and Hawks are treating them like yesterday's trash. No one held a gun to their heads and forced them to offer those deals to the players. The responsible thing to do is pass on Kovalchuk, pass on Hossa, and work with the players you have under contract.

Remind me, again, why we had a lockout?

Last edited by Anthrax Jones: 08-09-2010 at 12:53 AM. Reason: clarification
Old
08-09-2010, 01:40 AM
The Grinder
No Respect

Quote:
The three contracts I have in mind specifically (Rolston, Campbell, Huet) were unmovable before the ink was even dry. Now, in subsequent years, the Hawks and Devils go out and sign more big ticket players, Hossa and Kovalchuk, without regard to the implications. They figure "ah, we'll get someone to take the original bad deals off our hands so we can fit our new toys under the cap." I don't want to see them weasel out of it, and I really don't see how any of these players is worth the cap hit to ANY team out there, given their age/declining skills. The teams that have cap space are generally younger, rebuilding teams who would be taking ice time away from younger talent by icing these older guys. It's an arrogant attitude to take, and we'll see a stop to it when a team like the Devils loses a Parise because they can't sucker anyone into taking Brian Rolston's awful contract.

One other thing that's a shame in this situation is the implication that Brian Rolston is anything other than a great player who happens to be on the wrong side of 30. Rolston and Campbell are tremendous talents deserving of respect, and the Devils and Hawks are treating them like yesterday's trash. No one held a gun to their heads and forced them to offer those deals to the players. The responsible thing to do is pass on Kovalchuk, pass on Hossa, and work with the players you have under contract.

Remind me, again, why we had a lockout?
The Hawks just won a cup. Hossa was one of their best players in the finals.

Lou is trying to give Marty one last chance to win a cup. He wants to win. I want a gm that will do anything to give their team a chance to win a championship. That's what it's all about isn't it.

Oh yea at the end of the day it's a business. **** happens.

The Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:47 AM
Anthrax Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grinder View Post
The Hawks just won a cup. Hossa was one of their best players in the finals.

Lou is trying to give Marty one last chance to win a cup. He wants to win. I want a gm that will do anything to give their team a chance to win a championship. That's what it's all about isn't it.

Oh yea at the end of the day it's a business. **** happens.
I know. And I understand. I just don't want to see them get away with it, and I don't want to see any teams help them get away with it.

Old
08-09-2010, 02:03 AM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
I could see the Isles do this trade

Rolston
Urbom
2nd

for

Gervais as a potential puck mover, though very inconsistent