Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Help with Watching Stars Games

Old
08-10-2012, 02:44 PM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Help with Watching Stars Games

I don't use my TV at all really anymore unless I'm watching live sports. The only sports I can't live without are the Stars and Cowboys.

I'm sick of paying for overpriced TV bundles that I never use, and a la carte TV service isn't available yet (if ever).

I want to see if there is a way to get reliable, live coverage of all Dallas Stars games (I'd prefer to always have access to the local feed). I can't do Center Ice on my computer for live games as far as I know so what are my options?

Can you re-route your IP to a different state to allow live coverage of Stars games from Center Ice online? Is there a cheap service that offers FSSW and NBC Sports?

Basically, the only thing tying me to cable/satellite TV service is the Dallas Stars, and I want a way out if possible.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 03:00 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Just bookmark several websites to feeds and such, and go through them all until you find the best. Takes a bit of effort, but it's free and worth it.

http://www.atdhenet.tv/

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/sport/ice-hockey.html (make sure it's .eu)

They'll often have 2 or 3 feeds each, and there are many more sites too. Just hit up the GDT if there isn't one on those sites and someone'll almost assuredly have one posted, or you can just ask real quick.

Only problem is you won't consistently find FSSW coverage, and may have to deal with other announcers for several games. Cowboys shouldn't be a problem at all, considering how huge they are.

I've never tried those with anything but hockey, but you should be able to get just about anything you want to watch on there.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Primetimey

I wouldn't recommend atdhenet, or other streaming services because the quality of the streams is horrible. You are looking at 360 or 480p usually.

NHL Game Center is really reliable and has HD streaming option (if your internet is good enough). The problem is that you will be blacked-out since you are in the Stars region.

Check out this article on changing your IP address and maybe Google a little bit more to find out information.

Personally it is something I have never done, but my friend has. I will try to find out what method he used.

** Edit: This is the website my friend used, said it is reliable. Like I said, do some more search however. He said you can select different USA regions.

Last edited by Primetimey: 08-10-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

If you don't mind paying a reasonable price I've used hockeystreams.com in the past. Was 2 seasons ago but the quality was generally always better than what you'd find on the free streams. I'm probably going to subscribe again this season since I don't pay for cable.

edit: Looks like it's even better now than back then! They must have gotten a lot more bandwidth. Higher prices but I think it's worth it...

Last edited by Elysian: 08-10-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
I wouldn't recommend atdhenet, or other streaming services because the quality of the streams is horrible. You are looking at 360 or 480p usually.
IDK, I used firstrow and another site (not sure which) last season and was surprised how good the feed was. That was on a normal size laptop screen. I didn't have any trouble following the action, but then I'm not used to a 8 billion inch HD Plasma NASA-approved TV or anything. I guess if you have a huge monitor, and really care about the quality, it might be worth it to pay for a higher quality feed.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:28 PM
BigG44

Thank you for all the info. If there is one good thing about a potential lockout it will be giving me some time to figure something out.

I might roll the dice and try free feeds for a bit to see if they are good enough. If not, maybe then I'll spend some cash to make it work.

IDK ... just kinda sick of hundreds of dollars a month on phone, internet, and TV. I love the service and everything from Verizon Fios ... just don't think it's worth the money.

Old
08-10-2012, 06:39 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
IDK, I used firstrow and another site (not sure which) last season and was surprised how good the feed was. That was on a normal size laptop screen. I didn't have any trouble following the action, but then I'm not used to a 8 billion inch HD Plasma NASA-approved TV or anything. I guess if you have a huge monitor, and really care about the quality, it might be worth it to pay for a higher quality feed.
Yea I've never had an issue with quality. There are usually enough feeds that I'll be able to get a HQ one.

Old
08-10-2012, 07:04 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
after the hockey universe moved to HD, i can't fathom going back to grainyland.

/1st world problems

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
Atdhe and firstrow both look terrible on my 42" 1080p lcd.

Old
08-10-2012, 07:29 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Of course they do.

How do you get them on your TV, though?

Old
08-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
Yeah, that's basically what I would expect and tried to express that

Old
08-10-2012, 07:35 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
IDK ... just kinda sick of hundreds of dollars a month on phone, internet, and TV. I love the service and everything from Verizon Fios ... just don't think it's worth the money.
The lack of ability to have la carte TV coverage like you said is really annoying. There's obviously a demand for it, but I wonder if a company will ever have the ability to break the cable company monopolies and offer it competitively and still turn a profit.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 07:36 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Of course they do.

How do you get them on your TV, though?
HDMI cord between video card and TV. Then Extend or Duplicate your PC display to the second monitor.

Old
08-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
definitely wouldn't spend anything until CBA is settled

also, may want to try it for another sport like tennis or something and see how good the quality of feed is

once in a while, it might kick me off and there's an occasional annoying ad... np, just reload or use other site

it's hard for me to fathom paying more for such a thing, given that I have no cell phone, pay $30/month for unlimited hi speed internet and basic cable combined, and my electric bill is $5/month... plus, I'm a tightward, as you can tell

Old
08-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
HDMI cord between video card and TV. Then Extend or Duplicate your PC display to the second monitor.
Except mine is my only monitor

Old
08-10-2012, 09:32 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Except mine is my only monitor
That works too

Old
08-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Captain Awesome

Be careful with the VPN stuff, you may want to test it out to make sure the speed is acceptable, it's no use having center ice if you're routing through a VPN that could throttle your speeds. I might have to check that out for next season, though. Even though I live out here I still have at least 12 games blacked out every year, plus the versus games thanks to being close to the Kings and the Ducks.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Didn't read through, so sorry if this has been posted.

I watch Center Ice/Game Center from my iPad and send it to my apple TV. All I did was jailbreak it, put a location spoofer on it, and bam. Now the NHL thinks I live in Argentina, and I get every game.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 09:02 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Didn't read through, so sorry if this has been posted.

I watch Center Ice/Game Center from my iPad and send it to my apple TV. All I did was jailbreak it, put a location spoofer on it, and bam. Now the NHL thinks I live in Argentina, and I get every game.
This has been what I wanted to try, but I wasn't sure if it would work. Some people have already mentioned some proxy servers, but what are you using?

Old
08-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

I tried proxies on GameCenter once... It didn't work very well, hard to find a proxy server that's fast enough for streaming duty, streams either didn't work or were so low quality the free streams were better...

Old
08-11-2012, 12:34 PM
TrillMike

If your willing to pay a little bit up front, you can buy a PS3 and sign up for NHL.tv (or whatever it's called), I did that last summer when I was in Atlanta and it worked great for MLB. I don't know how much the NHL thing costs though because I've never used it.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:46 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
This has been what I wanted to try, but I wasn't sure if it would work. Some people have already mentioned some proxy servers, but what are you using?
Sounds like there's an app on the iPad that'll do it for you. You could probably even do it through an iPhone.

Old
08-12-2012, 08:00 AM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

Quote:
I tried proxies on GameCenter once... It didn't work very well, hard to find a proxy server that's fast enough for streaming duty, streams either didn't work or were so low quality the free streams were better...

have the game already open, hit stats instead of watch though. Then change to "anonymous" european proxy; then hit watch. After the game has loaded you can turn the proxy off and it still works perfect.

Nemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
It's just an app on Cydia called Location Spoofer.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Antaya

Since I live near Toronto, there's not much coverage of Dallas games. Just the odd Toronto game, and most of the Calgary/Vancouver/Edmonton games, and usually one Dallas/Detroit Sunday afternoon game on NBC a year, but that's it. I've had to get used to watching games on my laptop, and as a result have 4 websites bookmarked. This past season I missed no more than 12 games, and if there's a season this year I'm excited for the new start times.

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/
http://livetv.ru/en/
http://atdhenet.tv/index.html
http://atdhe.ws/

Very rarely have these let me down, hope they can help

Antaya is offline   Reply With Quote