HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Jersey & Logo Talk (Green To Stay Confirmed!)

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2011, 12:19 PM
BeaverSports

vCash: 500
Kind of has an Ottawa feel to it.

Old
01-20-2011, 05:03 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
I havent designed a new logo yet, but I want to see what you think of the jersey first before I continue.
Positives?
Negatives?
I'm hesitant to critique other people's stuff since it could look like I'm just bashing whatever is different from my work, which isn't the case, but if you want my honest opinion... the striping is bad. The horizontal sleeve stripes that end half-way around the arm are one of the worst design offenses of the Reebok EDGE generation. Edmonton and Florida both fell into this trap and are both looking to make wholesale changes by next fall. The combination of the half-stripe with the full-length shoulder yoke/vertical stripe is particularly reminiscent of the Panthers, which is generally considered to be one of the worst looks in the NHL:

Your striping at the bottom that traces the outline of the curved hem may look good on a template but it's contingent on the current EDGE cut. I wouldn't be surprised to see either Reebok replaced as the NHL's supplier or for their jerseys to be redesigned to follow a more traditional hem that eliminates the existing "bib" effect. To that end, I think any new design should be sufficiently timeless that it could largely survive such a transition and not fall victim to production problems as was the fate of our star-shaped sweaters.

Old
01-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Thanks for the Comments and Critiques guys!!

Piqued, I was waiting for you're comments the most as I thoroughly enjoyed your concepts. I agree the full yoke with the elbow stripes is very "Pantheresque." I was hoping to eliminate that connection by leaving out the extra piping seen in yellow on the yoke and chest in the picture you posted. I agree whole-heartedly that the next wave of real NHL jerseys must be timeless and survive any changes to the cut of the jersey.

I am working a more "traditional" look for my next concept, as well as altering the previous one.

Old
01-20-2011, 05:19 PM
txomisc

considering we had those stripes on our dark jerseys for the first several years in dallas I hardly think those stripes are on of the worst design offenses of the reebok edge system.

also the only problem i have with those panthers jerseys is the thing yellow vertical stripe along the front.

Old
01-20-2011, 05:31 PM
piqued

Quote:
I agree the full yoke with the elbow stripes is very "Pantheresque." I was hoping to eliminate that connection by leaving out the extra piping seen in yellow on the yoke and chest in the picture you posted.
Well yeah, yours definitely looks better than Florida's because you avoided the added burden of piping. I'm just not a big fan of perpendicular stripes that create right angles. Maybe a better example would be the old Boston Bruins white jerseys from the 90s:

Though obviously the stripes there are inside the yoke rather than outside. Still it creates a blocky, mechanical feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
considering we had those stripes on our dark jerseys for the first several years in dallas I hardly think those stripes are on of the worst design offenses of the reebok edge system.
Different things. There was no shoulder yoke or vertical stripe on the blacks and the white numbers formed a sort of continuation of the broken white horizontal stripe. You'll notice that they do not line up properly like this with Edmonton's. Even then not really the best look and I always felt the whites were stronger. Taken together as a whole they were quite conflicting, actually.

Old
01-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

So Reebok only has like I think 9 templates in which you can design around and I think I'm the only person alive who actually likes that Florida/Edmonton design. Bring back the CCM goodness.

Old
01-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Dominic Roussel
Adios HF

vCash: 970
Quote:

Hey guys,
This is my first submission for our new alt.
I havent designed a new logo yet, but I want to see what you think of the jersey first before I continue.
Positives?
Negatives?
Maybe ditch the gold on the end of the cuff (since it will be covered by the gloves anyways) and use it as a border for the white instead.

Otherwise I like it, it's very clean.

Old
01-22-2011, 08:17 AM
BeaverSports

Maybe this link will work, or if not, just friend someone called "River Town Times" on Facebook, it's a community newspaper here in Ontario. Anyway, check out the green team's sweaters here. It's a throwback, the striping isn't that far off from what the Stars have now on their black socks, and the block numbers kind of pay tribute to the North Star era. Put a Stars logo on the front, maybe Texas on the sleeves and it might not be a horrible model for a nice third...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id...19756&aid=3741

Last edited by BeaverSports: 01-22-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old
03-04-2011, 03:20 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Found these concepts on icethics

Wouldn't be so sure if I'd wanna see the first one as our 3rd, we are starting to see a lot of those types of jerseys Jackets, Panthers and I think their are 1-2 more teams like that.
2nd one ain't that bad, my favorite, nice retro look and the 3rd well...eh

Last edited by MB94: 03-04-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old
03-04-2011, 03:55 PM
piqued

The crest on the top one is generic, bland clip-art. The Stars' star is recognizable for being skewed, now it looks like every other star out there.

The crest on the 2nd and 3rd ones doesn't make sense to me. The point of the /\ of the star being separated is because it forms the letter 'A'. Without the rest of the letters it loses all meaning. And then on the 3rd one the person has for some reason moved the DALLAS wordmark to the shoulders. It's bad enough on the front of the jersey, it's even worse placed there where it's cramped for space.

I think most Stars fans just want to see the normal crest return in its standard form.

Old
03-04-2011, 09:55 PM
joelnmich

Daddy likes and would buy #2

The crest on #1 would be better if the crest wasn't so clip-arty.

Has anyone done a Habs jersey style (red version with stripe across the middle of the jersey) with North Stars colors? Kinda a different riff on a classic form?

#3 makes me think of the benefits of eye bleach.

Old
03-04-2011, 11:57 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Holy crap, it's joelnmich.

Old
03-06-2011, 12:54 PM
HOLDITHERE*

I think those third ones are absolutely perfect. Well close to it. I'd add a little black, and just use the current Star logo. I really really really want the dark green and gold back, instead of the NS type green.

Old
03-06-2011, 06:08 PM
piqued

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelnmich View Post
Has anyone done a Habs jersey style (red version with stripe across the middle of the jersey) with North Stars colors? Kinda a different riff on a classic form?
Just threw this together for you to see what it'd look like. It's an exact rip-off of the Habs' pattern, not trying to be different. Unfortunately the main logo on the front didn't work because the gold of the star got lost in the stripe. 2 versions: light and dark green.

Old
03-06-2011, 07:23 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

I like the dark green one, I am a proponent of not bringing back the Kelley green. Never used in Dallas and should stay that way.

Old
03-06-2011, 08:01 PM
joelnmich

Thanks Piqued for taking my suggestion and making a mock-up. I don't think either look bad but might need some tweaking for marketability. I like the classic jersey design but can see where the logo might get lost with the mid-stripe across the front.

I've always liked the Kelly Green and would like to see it in a uni again but can also see the perspective that it's never been done in Dallas before.

Oh, and hey all...been gone for a while with work.

(and by "don't look bad" I mean stars colors on a Habs' style jersey not Piqued's work)

Last edited by joelnmich: 03-06-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old
03-06-2011, 09:15 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
i would love to see a more metallic gold have at least a subtle, if not bold presence on the sweater.. i love the metallic look of the pred's silver.

Old
03-06-2011, 09:48 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
I like the dark green one, I am a proponent of not bringing back the Kelley green. Never used in Dallas and should stay that way.
I'm the exact opposite. The kelly green pops and is much more noticeable and distinctly different from anything they currently use. There's nothing wrong with paying homage in a 3rd jersey to the North Stars IMO. I'm no advertising guru but it would seem to me that the kelly green would be much better marketing-wise; if selling jerseys that look good is the name of the game, they will attract fringe buyers.

Old
03-07-2011, 12:06 PM
piqued

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelnmich View Post
Thanks Piqued for taking my suggestion and making a mock-up. I don't think either look bad but might need some tweaking for marketability. I like the classic jersey design but can see where the logo might get lost with the mid-stripe across the front.
Yeah, sure. I switched up the colors a bit in the center stripe and tried it with the normal logo --

Pretty decent. The dark green on the inside of the star blends with the stripe behind it to create a continuous stretch of color. If it wasn't such blatant plagiarism I'd say we might be on to something.

Old
03-07-2011, 01:55 PM
joelnmich

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Yeah, sure. I switched up the colors a bit in the center stripe and tried it with the normal logo --

Pretty decent. The dark green on the inside of the star blends with the stripe behind it to create a continuous stretch of color. If it wasn't such blatant plagiarism I'd say we might be on to something.
Isn't plagiarism the most sincere form of flattery?

Old
05-11-2011, 11:53 AM
piqued

I'm bored so I made another concept. This one just basically mashes together the star-pattern ones with the 90s blacks.

Old
05-11-2011, 03:09 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

I like those jersey's very much!

I was also going to bump this thread today to see if there is any news on us getting a new 3rd jersey. So anything... ? lol

Old
05-24-2011, 10:13 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Quote:
Reebok says the Stars are looking to launch a brand new third sweater. And most of us are hoping they run far away from their current look.

The most recent rumors suggest it will indeed be green with a nod to the past. As we know, retro is all the rage lately. What that means for the actual design is anyone's guess at this point.

Looking back, Dallas may have been the hardest hit by the transition to Reebok Edge in 2007. They went from having a beautiful and unique set of sweaters to some of the blandest in the league. And green — already in short supply around the NHL — disappeared almost entirely.

Currently, the Stars wear a black jersey and a white jersey, each of which simply has the word "DALLAS" arched above the sweater number. They're trimmed in gold and only the white uniform has any hint of green. Their third jersey (right) is the only one with any kind of a logo on the front.

Stars 2003-2006 / from Getty Images
Now it seems they're finally ready to advance the brand and add something new — or retro, anyway. I think green would be welcomed as a color that's slowly but surely returning to the league after a long absence.

Maybe even a new logo to go with the green? So long as they learned their lesson from the "Mooterus" (left). That lesson being, don't get too cute with your logo or it will come back to bite you.

Let's be honest, anyone who's ever opened up a sixth grade health class textbook would recognize that shape without a second look. We can all pretend it's the constellation Taurus, but no one is being fooled here. Least of all Trevor Daley.

Not only that, but what was with the red? That was never in their color scheme. And they don't need it. They already have two great colors in green and gold.

Ultimately, it sounds like Stars VP Brett Hull is determined to see the club in something that might've been worn during his NHL playing days. And that's what we like to hear.
The bold part is interesting, probably the only new information in the article....
I'm excited to see the new third jersey's if we do end up getting them. Will get our color back

Found this on the site as well

Old
05-24-2011, 10:23 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Got a link?

Edit: NVM scrolled down a bit and saw it on icethetics.com

Old
05-25-2011, 05:09 AM
RTstars11

Here's a design I made recently. I kind of veered off from what I was originally thinking and might have put too much white, but idk, I think it looks decent. Anyways, I'll still be working on it and see what changes I can make.

Edit: Cleaned up the design a bit

Last edited by RTstars11: 05-25-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Closed Thread