HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Prospect Ranking #10

View Poll Results: Whose #10?
Brandon Kozun 25 32.47%
Martin Jones 11 14.29%
Jake Muzzin 9 11.69%
Maxim Kitsyn 1 1.30%
Alec Martinez 2 2.60%
Jeff Zatkoff 12 15.58%
Tyler Toffoli 12 15.58%
Trevor Lewis 1 1.30%
Jordan Weal 1 1.30%
Rob Czarnik 1 1.30%
Bud Holloway 2 2.60%
Marc-Andre Cliche 0 0%
Linden Vey 0 0%
Dwight King 0 0%
Garrett Roe 0 0%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-03-2010, 12:21 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

vCash: 500
Kings Prospect Ranking #10

On to #10......

1. Bernier- 87.21%
2. Schenn- 86.36%
3. Hickey- 62.22%
4. Forbort- 36.36%
5. Vyacheslav Voynov- 35.96%
6. Loktionov- 63.16%
7. Clifford- 56.47%
8. Teubert- 34.38%
9. Deslauriers- 29.35%

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 01:21 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Zatkoff will prove it to us this year.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 01:24 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Zatkoff will prove it to us this year.
From the bench?

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 01:41 PM
VADEN

Muzzin

VADEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:07 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Is it possible to make me automatically vote for Martinez when the next what 5-10 polls get set up and I can just check in then when he finally gets a second vote?

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:46 PM
MollerManor

Can someone tell me why they think Zatkoff is better than Jones? Didn't Jones get goaltender of the year in the WHL? (on a stacked team yea, but still)

MollerManor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:46 PM
KingsCast

Send a message via AIM to KingsCast
Toffoli should be next. Seriously. Before Martinez.

KingsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Wow, battle of the goalies . . .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Hipfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollerManor View Post
Can someone tell me why they think Zatkoff is better than Jones? Didn't Jones get goaltender of the year in the WHL? (on a stacked team yea, but still)
I'm a supporter of Jones, but I'll play devil's advocate here: Zatkoff has had pretty good numbers (especially his save% - he's never had less than .914 at any level) wherever he has gone. He's a tall goalie that was a big part of Miami-Ohio's CCHA Regular Season championship a few years ago, and he as well played in the WJC. He's very athletic for his size, and is good with angles and has a fierce competitive streak. While he might be 23, he's establishing himself well in the LA system - besides, 23 is still pretty young for a goaltending prospect.

Hipfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Prince

Quote:
Zatkoff first year at Manchester 09-10:
22 games 2.92 GGA .915 save % 2 shutouts

Bernier first year at Manchester 08-09:
54 games 2.4 GGA .914 save % 5 shutouts

Zatkoff has preformed very well compared to Bernier who is the #1 prospect. I think he will open quite a few eyes this year.

Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:

Jones had a great team in front of him. That guy's 6'3" and lets everybody shoot the puck over his shoulders and into the net. He's waaaayyyyy overrated.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:42 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:
Zatkoff had ridiculous numbers in NCAA. I am sure he won goaltender of the year as well. Alec Martinez was also on that team.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 04:21 PM
HockeyCA

Zatkoff has looked pretty solid to me..

Last edited by HockeyCA: 02-24-2013 at 01:46 PM.
HockeyCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Justin Pogge is a very similiar situation as Jones, I think. Guys who not thought that highly of (Pogge 3rd round, Jones undrafted) both starters with hugely stacked Hitmen teams, both broke out late in their junior careers (Jones 18, Pogge 19), and both won goaltender of the year. And look at where Pogge ended up. Jones is hugely overrated, IMO.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 04:28 PM
HockeyCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Justin Pogge is a very similiar situation as Jones, I think. Guys who not thought that highly of (Pogge 3rd round, Jones undrafted) both starters with hugely stacked Hitmen teams, both broke out late in their junior careers (Jones 18, Pogge 19), and both won goaltender of the year. And look at where Pogge ended up. Jones is hugely overrated, IMO.

Big difference between Jones and Pogge IMO. Pogge's numbers were inflated BECAUSE the Hitmen teams were so good in front of him and for that reason only. Jones numbers were good yes because he had a good team in front of him, but also because he is an extremely talented goaltender. Ask any Brandon Wheat Kings fans about him, Im sure they still have nightmares about his performance in the Eastern Conference Finals. He was the difference maker in that series. Mind you, he does give up the occasional soft goal, something that must stop in order to become a top flight goalie. But if his game progresses how it should going forward, hes going to be very very good.

HockeyCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCA View Post
5 years from now we are going to look back on our prospects and wonder why we underrated Kozun all this time. He will be the best player from this crop of prospects we have, including Schenn. I dont care how small he is. You ask any Western Hockey League fan and they will tell you just how good this kid is. He is on par with at least a player like Jordan Eberle. You dont beat out players like him, Seguin and Hall in the CHL scoring race and then fizzle out. Im calling it right now.
Thanks for posting, Brandon.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I will go with Zatkoff because you can never have too many #1 goalies in the system.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 05:58 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I have been off the internet for a week but I thought for certain that Kozzie would have been in our top 6. I guess it speaks to the fact that we are totally stocked with young talent that he isn't. It also speaks to the fact that our fan base is, like our team located pretty far away from our kids are playing until they reach the AHL (or drop to the ECHL).

Anyone who thinks that Kozzie won't be an impact player wherever he lands either knows something that I and tons of other people who have seen him play a ton don't (which is very possible) or aren't very well acquainted with his play.

BK is very much the real deal and given time I think will become an impressive NHLer.

But I think that A-Mart is already a quality #6-7 dman in NHL terms and has a pretty nice upside.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 08:40 PM
no name

All I have to say is damn this system is loaded. There is several guys left that could be in some systems top 5.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 08:49 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I have been off the internet for a week but I thought for certain that Kozzie would have been in our top 6. I guess it speaks to the fact that we are totally stocked with young talent that he isn't. It also speaks to the fact that our fan base is, like our team located pretty far away from our kids are playing until they reach the AHL (or drop to the ECHL).

Anyone who thinks that Kozzie won't be an impact player wherever he lands either knows something that I and tons of other people who have seen him play a ton don't (which is very possible) or aren't very well acquainted with his play.

BK is very much the real deal and given time I think will become an impressive NHLer.

But I think that A-Mart is already a quality #6-7 dman in NHL terms and has a pretty nice upside.
While I agree Kozun's numbers look great....but there is a reason he feel in the draft...this may be the case of people who get to watch him so much see how good he is and overlook his physical limitations, I think most Kings fans look at how Moller was pushed around and wonder how Kozun is gonna hang. And to the inevitable post that are gonna compare him to Theo or St. Louis, or Gionta...let it go, yes small players have made it but it is a very hard thing to do, and lots of player similar to him fail at it.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 08:52 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Toffolo. I like Kozun but I think Toffoli has far better chances of being an NHLer

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 09:30 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
While I agree Kozun's numbers look great....but there is a reason he feel in the draft...this may be the case of people who get to watch him so much see how good he is and overlook his physical limitations, I think most Kings fans look at how Moller was pushed around and wonder how Kozun is gonna hang. And to the inevitable post that are gonna compare him to Theo or St. Louis, or Gionta...let it go, yes small players have made it but it is a very hard thing to do, and lots of player similar to him fail at it.
I don't have any posts in me that compare BK to any of those three for ya, maybe other people will and can let them go for sure.

The thing about BK is that he is a big bodied shorter player. The one comparison that I can give you of a small player making it recently was Squid.

Now I am not saying that BK has any of MC's offencive skills, well scratch that, he does have some of them but not in the same way. The reason I use him as a comparison is that MC plays a big body game and so does BK.

He plays a monster/checking line style of game and has soft hands. I always thought that Moller was a bit of a reach due to the very reason that he has struggled and that is his thin body type.

It is a theory of mine that smaller players can make it in the NHL and do so in bunches but the ones that do really well are the guys who are naturally stocky and have little trouble bulking up.

The other thing about BK is that he is 5'9 1/2" (and not squid 5'9" which was really 5'6" but an actual 5'9 1/2") and weighs in at 178lbs as of 7/7 this year as per his trainer. He is a kid who projects to be in the 5'10" 185 playing weight range and I won't even begin listing the guys who have made huge impacts on the game at that height/weight as they are well too many to begin to list.

He isn't as small as allot of people think and he plays a very physical game, he has soft hands but is a really elusive offencive threat. I think he dropped in the draft because people didn't think his offence was going to improve as much as it did and there are allot of pre draft articles that bare me out on that line of thinking.

Still, it is hard to say why he fell but to say that he is going to be a small player simply isn't the case any more. He is already taller than Theo by a stretch and more so than the rest. I would compare BK's upside with Pat Verbeek and I am not the only one who does.

Don Cherry said the very same thing about him during the juniours. Take it for what it is worth but if BK pans out to be close to a Pat Verbeek (the original little ball of hate by the way with the exception of Stan the man Johnathan the toughest sob to ever lace them up) then I would be the happiest King fan alive. By the way, Pat Verbeek played at 5'9" 180.

Not likely to happen but it also isn't completely out of reach either.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 11:43 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCA View Post
5 years from now we are going to look back on our prospects and wonder why we underrated Kozun all this time. He will be the best player from this crop of prospects we have, including Schenn. I dont care how small he is. You ask any Western Hockey League fan and they will tell you just how good this kid is. He is on par with at least a player like Jordan Eberle. You dont beat out players like him, Seguin and Hall in the CHL scoring race and then fizzle out. Im calling it right now.
Justin Azevedo, Yannick Riendeau, Pavel Rosa, Ramzi Abid, Corey Locke, and Simon Gamache would like to have a word with you about their NHL careers... Not to mention guys like Dany Roussin that put up great numbers in the CHL and amounted to squat. Guys like Kozun fizzle out all the time because they have trouble adapting to the pro game be it size, motivation, work ethic, whatever. To make Kozun out to be a sure thing is just... untrue, in reality he is anything but.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 09:16 AM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

I'd rate Toffoli >>> Kozun at this point too.

Old
09-04-2010, 09:18 AM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
From the bench?

You see Ersberg as the starter in Manchester? I doubt Jones takes the #1 job from him.