HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kovalchuk Contract Rejected

Closed Thread

Old
08-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
But realistically, I don't see him signing with any team other than NJ.
I still think that it could get ugly between Grossman and Lou. $102/13 should be the contract that Kovalchuk signs with NJ. Can NJ handle that cap hit? Not sure.

Why should Kovalchuk compromise on the money? NJ tried to cheat and lost, not Kovalchuk's fault.

Old
08-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I still think that it could get ugly between Grossman and Lou. $102/13 should be the contract that Kovalchuk signs with NJ. Can NJ handle that cap hit? Not sure.

Why should Kovalchuk compromise on the money? NJ tried to cheat and lost, not Kovalchuk's fault.

No way in hell NJ would sign him to that. They'd be almost 5 mil over the cap. If they can't get a contract for Kovy that's under 7 Mil cap hit wise, I don't think they'll sign him.

Old
08-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:

Kovalchuk and Grossman were well aware of the contract they were signing. I think NJ will clear up the space to fit Kovalchuk onto their roster. If they can't get rid of Rolston, they'll move Zubrus and/or Salvador. Lamoriello is one of the smartest executives in the league, he'll manage to find a way, just as he was the first GM to find a way to get rid of a couple of bad contracts in Mogilny and Malakhov.

Old
08-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
No way in hell NJ would sign him to that. They'd be almost 5 mil over the cap. If they can't get a contract for Kovy that's under 7 Mil cap hit wise, I don't think they'll sign him.
But Lou would have a very hard time walking away after the **** he pulled with the fans. That press conference is going to hurt him.

Especially after he pissed all over the contract in his interview. It would not look good to the NHL if Lou walks away over the cap hit and not the salary. Might just show his intent to circumvent the CBA with the $102/17 contract.

Old
08-11-2010, 03:31 PM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
I don't get it.

From the very first day I entered the hfb i was told that Eklund is full of ********* but still people go there.

Is it to amuse yourself with his stupidity or is it something else?

And he is making a buck on that ******** isn't he?
For me it's general amusement. Sometimes at how completely idiotic things he says are (obvious BS like today's 'maybe looking at DiPietro contract' - the DiPietro contract is the same amount of salary EVERY year) and sometimes it's just to have something else to think about while I kill the offseason. I used to love and ridiculously anticipate the NCAA/NFL seasons. Lately, I could care less. I just want hockey season back.

Old
08-11-2010, 03:32 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
A lot of people make money with ********. Reality TV? Please....
I don't watch that **** or support it if it isn't fun. ,what do you call that hypocrisy or something.

Eklund no fun, no support.

Yeah I miss the hockey as well, and as I recently watched a soccer game it reminded me of how much more hockey is, that is LA hockey.

Last edited by alpa: 08-11-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old
08-11-2010, 03:44 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

BTW it is very amusing that while the devils haven't come up with a new contract yet, their fans have all kinds of theories of fines and IK signing elsewhere and it is just as they are getting crazier for every minute of wait.

I like it ..ehh love it.

Last edited by alpa: 08-11-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old
08-12-2010, 12:19 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Does any one know how DL's deal to Kovy was structured?

From what I understand DL said they put more money in those late years and the numbers were equal to what Selanne made (2 mill last season) at his age 40.

http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media...20_141320_9540

If you think about it that most actually be a pretty good deal.
80/12 and last year around 2 mill I wonder if Devils really can match that if the length of the contract is at maximum 12 years.

I'm just getting my "do you believe feeling" back up again.
probably a disappointment ahead.

Old
08-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

"99% there: Kovalchuk and NJ"

One guess who posted this.

Old
08-12-2010, 01:07 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:

glenwho?

Old
08-12-2010, 01:07 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:

Ekchuk?

Old
08-12-2010, 01:14 PM
onlyalad

Quote:

Way to go out on a limb.

Old
08-12-2010, 01:16 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

I wonder if that's 1% or 666% more likely than nothelen's 98% kovy to LA.

Old
08-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Martyros

i won't believe anything until i hear from NHL Sources Say

Old
08-12-2010, 04:57 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Is it possible and I mean possible even in a very remote way that there might be a cultural difference that is at play between Russian players and the people who manage them vs all other players from all other places?

I bet that there is

Last edited by etherialone: 08-12-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old
08-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Is it possible and I mean possible even in a very remote way that there might be a cultural difference that is at play between Russian players and the people who manage them vs all other players from all other places?

I bet that there is
piston thinks it is the Russian mob...

...BTW, nice avatar.

Old
08-12-2010, 07:09 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I agree with piston. I have experience in an off way with the Russian Hockey Federation, its agents and what it considers to be its overseas assets and I believe piston is right. Of course I believe pretty much whatever piston puts down so there is that.

The avatar was being used as a threat/bet between a couple of posters and i just couldn't resist. The funniest thing about it is what name it pops up under when you capture it.

My first avatar ever,

priceless.

Old
08-12-2010, 07:30 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:

I bet that there is
I'm glad I read your little tale before you deleted it.

Old
08-12-2010, 07:42 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

(this is for you, my good friend JDM. Splash!)

I had something to add on the Kovy Grossman thing. That is to say that I have an opinion on the Russians to the NHL situation and the difficulties that are uniquely forced to deal with.

Like others of us here, I have been to Russia several times, mostly for business and whenever I am there I go and watch hockey. I have seen a ton of Dynamo Riga games and a few others as well.

I stand out like a sore thumb there (well, I do anywhere I go so ugly is an international oddity) so people will typically talk with me with relative ease, something that isn't the norm.

Over the years I have come to know a few players who have made their way to the NHL (or the AHL IHL WHL and of course juniors). One of them came over to play, got injured, tried to overcome his injuries and after a reputed family tragedy began his spiral down ultimately ending in his return to play back home.

That is the official story.

Here is what happened in a little more detail.

He played in 46 total NHL games and several in the minor leagues before returning home where he played a little while longer.

He came out of the old Soviet Union but was still under the Iron Fist that was and remains the entire Russian Hockey Federation.

This guy wasn't a star, but he was pretty highly touted for awhile. To the casual fan he looked like a guy with tons of promise who just couldn't catch a break and returned home, a common story.

To those who knew him knew what really happened. He came to the U.S. as a budding star and was starting to fulfill all of the hype that was surrounding him. But he had a problem, he came out of a small town and while he knew about the pressure to sign on with one particular agent and the "loyalty fee's" that he was supposed to pay, he ignored what he had heard and went in his own direction.

He signed with an agent of his choosing and went about starting his career. Within three months his mother, father, sister, fiance and the family cow all were in separate and serious "accidents". He had to return home to try and be close to his family and help out wherever he could.

He returned to the U.S. a different kid. Gone was the happy outgoing kid who was amazed at how great the U.S. was and in came a quiet kid who was talking about firing his agent and began struggling on the ice.

After the season he went back home and when he returned to the U.S. again he continued to struggle. Off the ice he was starting to make plans for his fiance/wife to move to the U.S. and begin their lives here. He also seemed distracted and would go directly from practice/game to home/hotel room.

A few weeks later his wife miscarried. A little later on another series of accidents happened. This player himself had an injury that his team covered up with the media but the truth was that it happened off the ice.

He dropped off of the NHL radar for awhile. He came back with another team, played 3 games and then ran into trouble again that required him to go back home. He came back played in the minor's for awhile and returned home to play.

He never fired his original agent. I remained friends with him from before he was drafted straight through to today (we email once every month or so, that sort of thing). I can tell you the truth is that he was like allot of kids in different sports who come out of very rural areas with a naive outlook of how things work.

They either adapt or get chewed up and spit out by their respective systems. This one particular player had no idea how totally corrupt the system that was guiding him actually was and paid dearly for it.

This player told me about how he was approached by a friendly mentor and told about how things would work for him once he went to the U.S..

He was told who he had to hire as his agent. He was told about how much of his salary would be spent covering his loyalty fee's, how much would go to his agent and how much would go to hire security for his family back home.

He told me that over 40% of his pay was gone before he ever saw it. He also told me that he had no intention of paying these unfair fees and in the end, he told me how he wishes he would have complied with those demands.

This was a lesser talent who never had a guaranteed shot at the NHL and went through heck for it. Imagine what it is like for established talent. Imagine what it is like for talent who is making big money.

If you think that Russia is similar to the U.S. in the way things work well you would simply be wrong. It is the wild west and everyone is being extorted by somebody on some level in my experience.

I love Russia and the people but it has a way to go before it will be a safe place to live and or to do business in many ways in my opinion.

IK isn't happy with Grossman and would probably like to fire him. Unfortunately he is finding out in my opinion, that it isn't as simple as he would like it to be.

Again, just an opinion.

Old
08-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Duc620

Great post, TG, just great.

Old
08-12-2010, 11:12 PM
butthead666

Quote:
(this is for you, my good friend JDM. Splash!)

I had something to add on the Kovy Grossman thing. That is to say that I have an opinion on the Russians to the NHL situation and the difficulties that are uniquely forced to deal with.

Like others of us here, I have been to Russia several times, mostly for business and whenever I am there I go and watch hockey. I have seen a ton of Dynamo Riga games and a few others as well.

I stand out like a sore thumb there (well, I do anywhere I go so ugly is an international oddity) so people will typically talk with me with relative ease, something that isn't the norm.

Over the years I have come to know a few players who have made their way to the NHL (or the AHL IHL WHL and of course juniors). One of them came over to play, got injured, tried to overcome his injuries and after a reputed family tragedy began his spiral down ultimately ending in his return to play back home.

That is the official story.

Here is what happened in a little more detail.

He played in 46 total NHL games and several in the minor leagues before returning home where he played a little while longer.

He came out of the old Soviet Union but was still under the Iron Fist that was and remains the entire Russian Hockey Federation.

This guy wasn't a star, but he was pretty highly touted for awhile. To the casual fan he looked like a guy with tons of promise who just couldn't catch a break and returned home, a common story.

To those who knew him knew what really happened. He came to the U.S. as a budding star and was starting to fulfill all of the hype that was surrounding him. But he had a problem, he came out of a small town and while he knew about the pressure to sign on with one particular agent and the "loyalty fee's" that he was supposed to pay, he ignored what he had heard and went in his own direction.

He signed with an agent of his choosing and went about starting his career. Within three months his mother, father, sister, fiance and the family cow all were in separate and serious "accidents". He had to return home to try and be close to his family and help out wherever he could.

He returned to the U.S. a different kid. Gone was the happy outgoing kid who was amazed at how great the U.S. was and in came a quiet kid who was talking about firing his agent and began struggling on the ice.

After the season he went back home and when he returned to the U.S. again he continued to struggle. Off the ice he was starting to make plans for his fiance/wife to move to the U.S. and begin their lives here. He also seemed distracted and would go directly from practice/game to home/hotel room.

A few weeks later his wife miscarried. A little later on another series of accidents happened. This player himself had an injury that his team covered up with the media but the truth was that it happened off the ice.

He dropped off of the NHL radar for awhile. He came back with another team, played 3 games and then ran into trouble again that required him to go back home. He came back played in the minor's for awhile and returned home to play.

He never fired his original agent. I remained friends with him from before he was drafted straight through to today (we email once every month or so, that sort of thing). I can tell you the truth is that he was like allot of kids in different sports who come out of very rural areas with a naive outlook of how things work.

They either adapt or get chewed up and spit out by their respective systems. This one particular player had no idea how totally corrupt the system that was guiding him actually was and paid dearly for it.

This player told me about how he was approached by a friendly mentor and told about how things would work for him once he went to the U.S..

He was told who he had to hire as his agent. He was told about how much of his salary would be spent covering his loyalty fee's, how much would go to his agent and how much would go to hire security for his family back home.

He told me that over 40% of his pay was gone before he ever saw it. He also told me that he had no intention of paying these unfair fees and in the end, he told me how he wishes he would have complied with those demands.

This was a lesser talent who never had a guaranteed shot at the NHL and went through heck for it. Imagine what it is like for established talent. Imagine what it is like for talent who is making big money.

If you think that Russia is similar to the U.S. in the way things work well you would simply be wrong. It is the wild west and everyone is being extorted by somebody on some level in my experience.

I love Russia and the people but it has a way to go before it will be a safe place to live and or to do business in many ways in my opinion.

IK isn't happy with Grossman and would probably like to fire him. Unfortunately he is finding out in my opinion, that it isn't as simple as he would like it to be.

Again, just an opinion.
Sad story but not all that suprising. If I was Kovy, I think that I would be pretty pissed off with Grossman too.

Old
08-13-2010, 12:59 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

So in other words Grossman is connected to the Russian mob and with that holding his hands around his clients throats? (not only Kovy but a couple of other Russians)

Grossman saying stay with me and all will be fine or leave and pay the consequences, you made a deal. Remember?.

I don't find it unlikely to be true since he (Grossman) has been in trouble before, some fishy deeds (I read somewhere).

But that most also mean that all Russian "pipelines" are going through connections like this one where the agent is paying a fee to the mob to secure his investment and so is the player to secure his relatives.

Right? ..or did I just made it up as I was writing?

TG. Your friends story was nothing to laugh about, that was just sad.

Old
08-13-2010, 01:05 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Kovalchuk is a grown adult and can make decisions of his own. There have been a number of Russian players who have switched agents around and made huge mistakes as a result. See Sergei Fedorov. There have been no reports of Kovalchuk being upset by Grossman. The only report has been that Kovalchuk is in Russia and his mom is quoted saying that a new contract will be worked out. Kovalchuk made his decision and he will stay a NJ Devil. That's that. Move on. Lombardi and the Kings already have.

Old
08-13-2010, 01:07 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
So in other words Grossman is connected to the Russian mob and with that holding his hands around his clients throats? (not only Kovy but a couple of other Russians)

Grossman saying stay with me and all will be fine or leave and pay the consequences, you made a deal. Remember?.

I don't find it unlikely to be true since he (Grossman) has been in trouble before, some fishy deeds (I read somewhere).

But that most also mean that all Russian "pipelines" are going through connections like this one where the agent is paying a fee to the mob to secure his investment and so is the player to secure his relatives.

Right? ..or did I just made it up as I was writing?

TG. Your friends story was nothing to laugh about, that was just sad.
He's been investigated for making cash payments to Russian prospects. I think Malkin was one of the names that popped up.

Old
08-13-2010, 01:15 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
He's been investigated for making cash payments to Russian prospects. I think Malkin was one of the names that popped up.
Malkin is represented by J.P. Barry/CAA Sports, has been since he entered the NHL. Grossman is with another agency which he heads.

Closed Thread