HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalchuk Contract Rejected

Closed Thread

Old
08-13-2010, 01:27 AM
johnjm22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Malkin is represented by J.P. Barry/CAA Sports, has been since he entered the NHL. Grossman is with another agency which he heads.
Before entering the NHL, he allegedly shifted between different agencies. I've heard this is the norm for Eastern European prospects.

I'd imagine there's usually bidding wars that go on between agents/agencies when trying to sign top prospects. Similar to college recruitment, I'm assuming this process involves some shady practices.

Quote:
IMG has asked the NHLPA to "investigate player agent JAY GROSSMAN for allegedly making cash payments to" Russian NHL draft prospect EVGENI MALKIN and his family, according to Mark Brender of THE HOCKEY NEWS. A source said that the family no longer wants the reported $50,000 payment and has asked NHLPA Exec Dir BOB GOODENOW "how they can return it." Malkin was a client of IMG until January, "at which time he switched to Grossman's PuckAgency LLC, a division of SFX Sports Group."
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/85104

Old
08-13-2010, 01:52 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Before entering the NHL, he allegedly shifted between different agencies. I've heard this is the norm for Eastern European prospects.

I'd imagine there's usually bidding wars that go on between agents/agencies when trying to sign top prospects. Similar to college recruitment, I'm assuming this process involves some shady practices.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/85104
Thanks for that info. Wasn't aware Malkin did a double switch, as the the hockey agents at IMG all transfered over to CAA. But I guess that is how things operate in Russia. There are always under the table payments and other sneaky methods employed to lure Russians over. Just read up on how Pavel Bure was courted by Vancouver.

Old
08-13-2010, 12:00 PM
piston

Send a message via AIM to piston
There is one other piece of the puzzle. Prior to founding his agency, Grossman worked for SFX Sports, a division of SFX Entertainment, the largest concert promoter in the U.S. Its biggest competitor is Concerts West, a division of AEG Entertainment.

In my opinion, Jay Grossman has totally screwed over his client. In 90% of the cases, he would have been fired by now. The only explanations are 1) Kovy is just a dumb Russian peasant kid or 2) he is feeling pressure back home not to switch. I would seriously discount any coming out of his Mom's mouth for that reason.

Old
08-13-2010, 12:06 PM
JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston View Post
2) he is feeling pressure back home not to switch. I would seriously discount any coming out of his Mom's mouth for that reason.
Not to mention, in general, mothers think they know more about their children than they actually do.

Mom's like to think they can read their children's minds.

Old
08-13-2010, 12:11 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Do you guys think we have trades pending but DL is saying can ya wait for abit guys till we figure this Kovy thing out. If thats the case then the GMs in the NHL must be one helle of a GOOD OLD BOYS club.

Old
08-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
Do you guys think we have trades pending but DL is saying can ya wait for abit guys till we figure this Kovy thing out. If thats the case then the GMs in the NHL must be one helle of a GOOD OLD BOYS club.
Why not? It is only August 13th. It's not like training camps are opening next week. GMs wait for stuff all of the time. If there isn't a deadline approaching, like with Kaberle, then GMs would have no problem waiting. Who knows, they may get a better offer while they are waiting and can go back to the original team and ask for more.

Remember that the Kings had to add a 2nd round pick to get Williams in a three way trade because one of the teams heard the rumor of the third party involved (Kings)?

Old
08-13-2010, 01:15 PM
HeadInjury

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston View Post
There is one other piece of the puzzle. Prior to founding his agency, Grossman worked for SFX Sports, a division of SFX Entertainment, the largest concert promoter in the U.S. Its biggest competitor is Concerts West, a division of AEG Entertainment.

In my opinion, Jay Grossman has totally screwed over his client. In 90% of the cases, he would have been fired by now. The only explanations are 1) Kovy is just a dumb Russian peasant kid or 2) he is feeling pressure back home not to switch. I would seriously discount any coming out of his Mom's mouth for that reason.
Well, the other possibility is that Kovy was aware of the risks and he isn't blaming Grossman for nearly landing him the huge contract he wanted.

Old
08-13-2010, 02:43 PM
onlyalad

I think that many of the GMs are waiting for Kovy to sign because they know that the Devils will have to shed some contracts to reach the cap limit and they want to see what else may become available.

Old
08-13-2010, 02:45 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
At this point I think Leiweke is the only one that is really interested in bringing Kovalchuk to LA. Dean probably wants to get on with his business.

Old
08-13-2010, 02:51 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

I think people are fooling themselves by pretending there is an imaginary resentment between Grossman and Kovalchuk brewing. Grossman almost got Kovalchuk exactly what he wanted. I'm sure he's reassured Kovalchuk that he will get him a comparable contract in the end.

I think people are trying to find a bad guy in all of this, and since there's still a chance, as slim as it is, that Kovalchuk will be a King it can't be him. So the Jewish agent who's "only out for money" is the easiest target. People don't want to face the fact that it was Kovalchuk who chose NJ over us, not Grossman.

Old
08-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
People don't want to face the fact that it was Kovalchuk who chose NJ over us, not Grossman.
That may be true, but has an athlete ever left $22 million on the table? He was going to make $95 million in 10 years versus $80 million in 13 years for the Kings.

That is a huge difference and NJ has a much better history of success than the Kings.

Old
08-13-2010, 04:13 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
That may be true, but has an athlete ever left $22 million on the table? He was going to make $95 million in 10 years versus $80 million in 13 years for the Kings.

That is a huge difference and NJ has a much better history of success than the Kings.
This.

It's not unfathomable to think that he liked LA more but the extra money in those 10 years was too much to pass up.

Old
08-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Jetteroheller

Quote:

I really don't think NJ will be able to come close to the 95mil over the first 10 seasons anymore. The cap hit they will take with a new contract trying to come close to that will be too much for them.

Old
08-13-2010, 10:35 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Kovy looks to once again be holding the entire league including our team ransom. Come on DL, you have deals in place that have very little to do with anything that could matter on any big deals that you could be working. Pull the f*ing trigger already and lets give our new player(s) the chance to get settled in before the season starts.

ugh

Last edited by etherialone: 08-13-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old
08-14-2010, 09:08 AM
4ndr3y*

Send a message via MSN to 4ndr3y*
Hello all, if Kovalchuks agent still thinks he can get a 10yr/10.000.000 contract this quote says it all:

”We've made a final offer. We hope Ziggy Palffy will come to his senses. We have NO hope his agent will.” - Mike Milbury

Hope this Kovalchuk saga ends so we will have a nice summer rather than everyday checking of board to see what's new in the FA market. It's the 14th avgust for goods sake.

Old
08-14-2010, 10:21 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Not to mention, in general, mothers think they know more about their children than they actually do.

Mom's like to think they can read their children's minds.
Sounds like experience talking?

How does that make you feel?

Old
08-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

If Kovalchuk doesn't sign before or on the 17th, then we will have a story.

This guy is completely obsessed with 17 and it is only 3 days away. Why not just wait those 3 days. I'm sure they have already finished up the contract, that is why there are no "rumors" of other GMs talking to Grossman.

Old
08-14-2010, 11:12 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

1+7=8. 8 is the number of wealth in numerology. It is also the symbol for infinity when laid on its side.

All hail jahmbee.

Old
08-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
1+7=8. 8 is the number of wealth in numerology. It is also the symbol for infinity when laid on its side.

All hail jahmbee.
See, that was Kovalchuk's plan all along! Sign a ridiculous 17 year deal so that it will be rejected and then sign on his really lucky day: 8/17!

Brilliant!

Old
08-15-2010, 07:37 AM
northernKing

Its probably already been posted but I found it funny/ironic that if we sign Kovy our first game is against the team we lost to in the playoffs and the home opener is against Atlanta.

Old
08-15-2010, 10:40 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
See, that was Kovalchuk's plan all along! Sign a ridiculous 17 year deal so that it will be rejected and then sign on his really lucky day: 8/17!

Brilliant!
Like a fox.
8/17
8+1+7=16
1+6=7

If he signs his contract on 8/17 then his base number is 7, I am willing to bet that the total sum of the numbers that his contract is worth works itself out to a factor of 10 (10 yrs at 9m per =1+9=10).

Then he will have his jackpot bonanza total of 17(=8) again making his numerological value go off the charts!

(sadly, we are among many who will see some credence in this).

Old
08-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

havn't kept up with this situation at all since the NHL won, but what exactly is happening now? Shouldnt Kovy and the Devils have been working on a contract from whe nthe first 1 was initially rejected? What is taking them so long? Surely this cant be good for Jersey?

Old
08-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
havn't kept up with this situation at all since the NHL won, but what exactly is happening now? Shouldnt Kovy and the Devils have been working on a contract from whe nthe first 1 was initially rejected? What is taking them so long? Surely this cant be good for Jersey?
2 more days...then NJ fans will panic if it goes to 8/18 without a contract.

Old
08-15-2010, 12:53 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
yea since its really quiet too, it seems like the are working on it..but like anything else, the more this drags out, the more NJ fans will get nervous.

Kinda weird that they havent done anything, since I would believe that Kaberle would be a good plan B for them since they are missing a good all around Dman.

Old
08-15-2010, 01:15 PM
outofrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
yea since its really quiet too, it seems like the are working on it..but like anything else, the more this drags out, the more NJ fans will get nervous.

Kinda weird that they havent done anything, since I would believe that Kaberle would be a good plan B for them since they are missing a good all around Dman.
That's why I thought they would have him signed by today. A plan B of Kaberle with the blueline that they have seems like something that would work for them.... But the owners seem like it's either getting Kovalchuk or nothing so it's more about getting a star player and less about what can help the team improve I guess.

Closed Thread