HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalchuk Contract Rejected

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
From Lou:

“We have reviewed and respect Arbitrator Bloch's ruling in the Kovalchuk matter.* We also note and appreciate his finding that nothing in his opinion should be read as suggesting that either the club or Ilya Kovalchuk operated in bad faith or on the basis of any assumption other than that the Standard Player Contract was fully compliant with the CBA. That has been our consistent position throughout.

“While we do not currently have a contract with Ilya Kovalchuk, discussions have resumed and we are hopeful that a contract will be reached that meets with the principles in Arbitrator Bloch's award and the NHL's approval."

I bet even he couldn't say that with a straight face.

Old
08-09-2010, 06:16 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

"Read it Lou" Read it exactly like I wrote it for you or else its your tail end".

Old
08-09-2010, 06:19 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
As for Kovalchuk, it seems natural to me ó although itís just a semi-educated guess ó that he will end up signing a one-year contract, either in the NHL or KHL, and climb back on this merry-go-round 11 months from now. Dean Lombardi already got burned on this once, by putting all of his eggs in the Kovalchuk basket.
http://lakingsinsider.com/2010/08/09/day-40/

Dean should find a way to dump Williams, and offer Kovy 1 year at 8M. Then, next summer, after all our RFA's re-up, DL can work out a contract that with IK that fits with our core. If not, Kovy walks away and no harm done.

FORWARDS
* Ilya Kovalchuk ($8.000m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Wayne Simmonds ($0.822m)
Ryan Smyth ($6.250m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.600m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Alexei Ponikarovsky ($3.200m) / Michal Handzus ($4.000m) / Brad Richardson ($0.900m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Trevor Lewis ($0.803m) / Scott Parse ($0.900m)
Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m)

DEFENSEMEN
Drew Doughty ($3.475m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.400m)
Jack Johnson ($1.425m) / * UFA/TRADE ACQ ($3.000m)
Matt Greene ($2.950m) / * Prospect ($1.000m)
Davis Drewiske ($0.617m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) / Jonathan Bernier ($0.843m)

ROSTER: 22;
CAP:$59.4m;
PAYROLL: $59.022m;
CAP ROOM: $0.378m;
BONUSES: $3.055m

Old
08-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Excerpts from Bloch's ruling, obtained by Sporting News:

"In this case, the record strongly supports the claim this contract is 'intended to, or has the effect' of defeating or circumventing the Salary Cap provisions of the CBA. The overall structure of this SPC reflects not so much the hope that Mr. Kovalchuk will be playing in those advanced years, but rather the expectation that he will not. This is a long contract --17 years -- the longest in NHL history. That, in itself, poses no contractual problem, for the reasons discussed above. But Kovalchuk is 27 years old, and the agreement contemplates his playing until just short of his 44th birthday. That is not impossible, but it is, at the least, markedly rare. Currently, only one player in the League has played past 43 and, over the past 20 years only 6 of some 3400 players have played to 42...."

"...the System Arbitrator here concludes the SPC terms themselves demonstrate this agreement 'has the effect of defeating' the provisions of the CBA, with particular reference to the Team Payroll Range language. For these reasons, the finding is that the League has sustained its burden of demonstrating its actions in rejecting the agreement were in accordance with the bargained authority under Section 11.6(a)(i). Accordingly, the grievance protesting that action will be denied."

Old
08-09-2010, 06:26 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

He will sign the Devils.

Old
08-09-2010, 06:31 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

I come in peace, and I'm not like the Devils fans you guys generalize all as being...

Anyway, for anyone who says resigning Kovalchuk would jeopardize our chances at keeping Parise, you'd have to look at a CapGeek chart for less than thirty seconds to realize how wrong you are. Next offseason, Jason Arnott and Jamie Langenbrunner come off the books, freeing up $7.3 million that has Parise's name all over it. This amount of cash will still be there, whether the Devils sign Kovalchuk or not.

Old
08-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
The title change has served its purpose. Time for it to go.

My guess is that the Devils sign Kovalchuk to a one year deal for a good chunk of money. That'll give them some time to restructure their roster in order to fit him in at a longer term.

Old
08-09-2010, 06:33 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanghostx View Post
I come in peace, and I'm not like the Devils fans you guys generalize all as being...

Anyway, for anyone who says resigning Kovalchuk would jeopardize our chances at keeping Parise, you'd have to look at a CapGeek chart for less than thirty seconds to realize how wrong you are. Next offseason, Jason Arnott and Jamie Langenbrunner come off the books, freeing up $7.3 million that has Parise's name all over it. This amount of cash will still be there, whether the Devils sign Kovalchuk or not.
I'm sure the Devils don't just leave two empty roster spots. Who takes their place? Prospects?

Old
08-09-2010, 06:35 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
I'm sure the Devils don't just leave two empty roster spots. Who takes their place? Prospects?
Yes.

Arnott will probably be resigned for peanuts and one of the team's [underrated] prospects will be brought up.

Old
08-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:

You are looking at it wrong. Capgeek already has NJ at $41.8 million next year without Parise and Kovlachuk signed and the UFAs contracts are gone in 2011-12. That is $17 million available with 12 players signed. Most teams use a 23 man roster.

Let's say Kovlachuk is now signed for a $7 million cap hit, this would give you guys only $10 million available to sign 10 people (including Parise). All this without being able to use any "bonus" cushion. Lou needs to shed a lot of salary just to get Kovalchuk under the cap this season and even more next season to get Kovalchuk and Parise signed.

Old
08-09-2010, 06:42 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
You are looking at it wrong. Capgeek already has NJ at $41.8 million next year without Parise and Kovlachuk signed. That is $17 million available with 12 players signed. Most teams use a 23 man roster.

Let's say Kovlachuk is now signed for a $7 million cap hit, this would give you guys only $10 million available to sign 10 people. All this without being able to use any "bonus" cushion. Lou needs to shed a lot of salary just to get Kovalchuk under the cap this season and even more next season to get Kovalchuk and Parise signed.
not to mention, they still dont have a top defense pairing.

like I said earlier, its not impossible, but it would be hard to round out a championship roster in the next 3 years.

Old
08-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Martyros

....And Andy Greene will be getting a raise aswell.

Old
08-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Looking at the Devils defense, I'm still shocked they signed Kovalchuk in the first place. They don't have a #1 or #2 defenseman...Volchenkov is a #3-#4 defenseman. After that they have a glut of fringe #4/5 defenseman in Tallinder, Greene, White and Salvador. With Kovalchuk signing one of those dman would have to go...likely White or Salvador. That's a weak, weak, defense. Not to mention no Brodeur in 2-3 years.

Old
08-09-2010, 06:48 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Looking at the Devils defense, I'm still shocked they signed Kovalchuk in the first place. They don't have a #1 or #2 defenseman...Volchenkov is a #3-#4 defenseman. After that they have a glut of fringe #4/5 defenseman in Tallinder, Greene, White and Salvador. With Kovalchuk signing one of those dman would have to go...likely White or Salvador. That's a weak, weak, defense. Not to mention no Brodeur in 2-3 years.
More and more I am convinced signing Kovalchuk wasn't a Lou Lam decision, it was a dumbass ownership decision.

Old
08-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Sounds like all of the arguments that everyone except NJ fans were making:

More from the report regarding finances:

"...The dynamics of this SPC, with particular reference to its final six years, are such that there is scarce reason for either Player or Club to continue the relationship. The incentives are strongly to the contrary. By year 11, the Player will have received $98,000,000 of his $102,000,000 contract, constituting some 97% of the bargain. One may reasonably ask, as the League does, whether a player who had been averaging some $9,000,000 a year will be satisfied to continue the rigors of an NHL season for a salary that (1) will average slightly more than $550,000 a year, (2) will represent a 95% reduction against previous average earnings and (3) will undoubtedly constitute compensation well below the then-applicable major league minimum. The economic incentives are not limited to issues of the Player's preferences, alone. During the final six years, the comprehensive "No Move" restriction will have been reduced to a "No Trade" clause. This additional flexibility will allow the Club to, for example, place the Player on waivers or send him to the minors. Here again, one may reasonably ask whether this Player would, at that point, accept such repositioning as an alternative to seeking continued employment outside the League or simply retiring."

Old
08-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Theav8tr

Quote:
Sounds like all of the arguments that everyone except NJ fans were making:

More from the report regarding finances:

"...The dynamics of this SPC, with particular reference to its final six years, are such that there is scarce reason for either Player or Club to continue the relationship. The incentives are strongly to the contrary. By year 11, the Player will have received $98,000,000 of his $102,000,000 contract, constituting some 97% of the bargain. One may reasonably ask, as the League does, whether a player who had been averaging some $9,000,000 a year will be satisfied to continue the rigors of an NHL season for a salary that (1) will average slightly more than $550,000 a year, (2) will represent a 95% reduction against previous average earnings and (3) will undoubtedly constitute compensation well below the then-applicable major league minimum. The economic incentives are not limited to issues of the Player's preferences, alone. During the final six years, the comprehensive "No Move" restriction will have been reduced to a "No Trade" clause. This additional flexibility will allow the Club to, for example, place the Player on waivers or send him to the minors. Here again, one may reasonably ask whether this Player would, at that point, accept such repositioning as an alternative to seeking continued employment outside the League or simply retiring."
That is something that I did not know and is something that makes the contract look even more obvious in terms of the intentions of playing out the contract....

Old
08-09-2010, 06:58 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
I can only assume that you've never watched a Devils game, well... Ever.

Last season, the Devils led the NHL in goals against with the "weak" defense you speak of by a sizable margin; And this is before Volchenkov and Tallinder. Granted, we had Paul Martin, but he was gone for the majority of the season and has been effectively replaced now that he's moved onto Pittsburgh and won't be missed at all.

And Volchenkov is arguably the best shot-blocker in the NHL.

Brodeur getting older is nothing to be worried about; The standards of goaltending have been set in New Jersey, and the management will only pursue the elite netminders to replace Brodeur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
More and more I am convinced signing Kovalchuk wasn't a Lou Lam decision, it was a dumbass ownership decision.
How was this a dumbass decision?

Well, if you consider signing a player who can help spark the offense of a team looking for a change in philosophy from defense-first and who can help bring fans to come watch a hockey club who, despite the perennial success, has trouble at the gate dumb, then yes, this decision was ****ing retarded.

Old
08-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Orenji

I honestly don't see Kovalchuk as a huge draw.

I mean, I think he could be in LA or NY if they spin him the right way, but he isn't super marketable. He isn't super attractive. He isn't charismatic. He's exciting to watch, sure, but he isn't one of the best ten players in the game.

Old
08-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Well, if you consider signing a player who can help spark the offense of a team looking for a change in philosophy from defense-first and who can help bring fans to come watch a hockey club who, despite the perennial success, has trouble at the gate dumb, then yes, this decision was ****ing retarded.
There is your answer for why your team is successful defensively. Now NJ is going to play an up-tempo style with a slow defense? Didn't work in the playoffs.

Old
08-09-2010, 07:02 PM
scramble91

Quote:
I can only assume that you've never watched a Devils game, well... Ever.

Last season, the Devils led the NHL in goals against with the "weak" defense you speak of by a sizable margin; And this is before Volchenkov and Tallinder. Granted, we had Paul Martin, but he was gone for the majority of the season and has been effectively replaced now that he's moved onto Pittsburgh and won't be missed at all.

And Volchenkov is arguably the best shot-blocker in the NHL.

Brodeur getting older is nothing to be worried about; The standards of goaltending have been set in New Jersey, and the management will only pursue the elite netminders to replace Brodeur.

do you honestly think your Defense will be better when you change your defense first system?? And it will be awfully hard to change into a offensive system with no real PMDs on the team.

Old
08-09-2010, 07:04 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:

See Sydor25's post above regarding the Devils' actual cap position heading into the next off season instead of the one you imagined. Then as others have pointed out, NJ has no defensemen to move the puck to the forwards.

Old
08-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
What I'm saying is, would you not agree with these player assessments?

Volchenkov-#3 defenseman, maybe #2...
Tallinder-#4/5 defenseman
White-#4/5 defenseman
Salvador-#5/6 defenseman
Greene-#4 defenseman

They're missing a #1 and #2 defenseman, like the King's have in Doughty and Johnson. Their only real solid offensive minded defenseman is Greene. They're gonna have trouble with their PP on the point.

I just think they would've been better off going after someone like Hamhuis/Michalek rather than Kovalchuk. Their offense is good right now, without him.

Old
08-09-2010, 07:14 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Mr. Jersey fan needs to take the blinders off.

Here's what they are on the hook for in 11-12:

FORWARDS
Patrik Elias ($6.000m) / Brian Rolston ($5.062m) /
Travis Zajac ($3.887m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.400m) /
Rod Pelley ($0.550m) / David Clarkson ($2.666m) /
/ P-L Letourneau-Leblond ($0.525m)

DEFENSEMEN
Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m) / Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m)
Colin White ($3.000m) / Bryce Salvador ($2.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Martin Brodeur ($5.200m)

BUYOUTS: Jay Pandolfo ($0.833m) / Andrew Peters ($0.166m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $41,816,667; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (12-man roster): $17,583,333

Now consider that Kovalchuk & Parise will eat up about $14M of that.

Now I will acknowledge that Zubrus is probably moved to make room for IK. But even then, you've only got about $7M to fill 7 or 8 roster spots.

That said, he will end up in NJ, but they will regret it.

Old
08-09-2010, 07:15 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
I honestly don't see Kovalchuk as a huge draw.

I mean, I think he could be in LA or NY if they spin him the right way, but he isn't super marketable. He isn't super attractive. He isn't charismatic. He's exciting to watch, sure, but he isn't one of the best ten players in the game.
Kovalchuk is a very good draw in New Jersey. Despite what our attendance numbers trick the very dense into thinking, the Devils are very popular in New Jersey and retain a passionate fanbase legitimately interested in the sport of hockey. Since Kovalchuk arrived, average attendance saw a significant increase and the fans were very excited about having a superstar on the home team.

And if Kovalchuk can be marketed in New York, he can be marketed in New Jersey. The Rangers and Devils are in the same market.

Quote:
There is your answer for why your team is successful defensively. Now NJ is going to play an up-tempo style with a slow defense? Didn't work in the playoffs.

First of all, how does Volchenkov, Tallinder, Greene, and White comprise a slow defense? I mean, really? And for the record, the Devils have already had success with an up-tempo style under Brent Sutter, a coach who embraced offense-first hockey. And NJ has a coach like that once again in Mohn MacLean.

The Devils' defense, while solid, is nothing what it once was, and the dinosaur of a coach who was behind the Jersey bench this year relied too heavily on said defense. He would have been better off letting the forwards run rampant, which he didn't, and instead let a team that was stacked offensively fall back into a shell. It's hoped that Johnny Mac will nix this philosophy and let the forwards to what they're paid to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
do you honestly think your Defense will be better when you change your defense first system?? And it will be awfully hard to change into a offensive system with no real PMDs on the team.

Here we go again with the puck-moving defensemen and how they're absolutely required to have any chance at getting past the first round.

Tallinder is hardly incompetent, and Alexander Urbom, a solid young defenseman in the system, is hoped to bring some offensive prowess to the blue line very soon.

Old
08-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

With the way Bloch has ruled, I don't see any way that NJ can just take off 2 years and re-submit the contract. They will need to completely re-structure the deal and I'm not sure Kovalchuk will be happy.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The...#ixzz0w9j9ZzTu

Closed Thread