HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jokinen As A Panther

Old
08-09-2010, 10:01 PM
abracanada

vCash: 500
Jokinen As A Panther

Jokinen used to put up serious numbers on the power play. 18 goals before he was traded to Phoenix. Those numbers sank pretty seriously when he came to the Flames (3 power play goals in total last year). In Calgary, he was not given the role of power play expert (that went to Iggy and Phaneuf while he was there).

When he was producing in Florida like that, was he primarily playing up front or on the point? Was he teamed up with Bouwmeester? How was he scoring most of his power play goals?

Thanks.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 10:52 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
Jokinen used to put up serious numbers on the power play. 18 goals before he was traded to Phoenix. Those numbers sank pretty seriously when he came to the Flames (3 power play goals in total last year). In Calgary, he was not given the role of power play expert (that went to Iggy and Phaneuf while he was there).

When he was producing in Florida like that, was he primarily playing up front or on the point? Was he teamed up with Bouwmeester? How was he scoring most of his power play goals?

Thanks.
Jokinen has been declining, it started here in his last season. Jokinen has to be THE guy on his line, the guy with the puck on his stick, the guy that gets to shoot 350 times. You'll notice his shot totals are WAY down from his days in Florida. Thats why putting him with Iginla was doomed from the start, Jokinen needs to be the goto guy on his line.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Hip to be Square

Quote:

Thanks.
Jokinen was mostly positioned on the point during man-advantage situations. If I recall correctly, it was Keenan who experimented with him there and Martin who posted him on the point as often as possible. Jokinen slap shots into traffic were our ace in the hole to score with the man-advantage, but obviously it didn't get us anywhere in the long run. Also, he needs to be the main scorer in order be as affective as possible. He needs shots and scoring chances galore.

To be honest.. I think that pre-Zednik incident Olli Jokinen is very different from post-Zednik incident Olli Jokinen. He hasn't been the same player since he slashed Zed's throat and nearly killed him playing the game that defines him.

I think Sutter's UFA signings were somewhat acts of desperation. However, Iggy is still the man and I think he's a model leader in the NHL. It must be more than a pleasure to watch him lead your Flames over the years.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by Hip to be Square: 08-09-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:

Thanks.
He was playing on the point. His shots were like pin-point accurate. He was probably with Bouw but it could have been others just as well.

I could be wrong, but it totally looks like Jokinen needs to be the man (like RCPG & Hip have mentioned). He was THE guy here and he produced, very well. Has been on three other teams since leaving where he isn't THE guy and hasn't produced like he did here. But for all I know, perhaps he blows up back in Calgary this season.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 11:16 PM
abracanada

Thanks to all of you. Jokinen will not be the go to guy in Calgary as long as Iginla is there. He could play a bigger role on the power play shooting from the point though. That spot used to belong to Phaneuf but since he is gone, Ollie may get a chance to shine from there. I hope so anyway.

As usual, I have been treated with class by Panther fans. Best of luck in the upcoming year. You got yourselves one hell of a GM. Now to see if he can build the Panthers into a contender.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote