HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

36th Obsequious Banter Thread: It's Powe as in Howe

Closed Thread

Old
08-16-2010, 01:07 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Honestly, my 360 is used for only one game like 95% of the time. Maybe Reach or the new Fallout will break the cycle, but it's basically a FIFA machine.
Speaking of which, I started Fallout 3 a few weeks ago. Like it a lot. I think I'll continue it tonight.

Old
08-16-2010, 01:12 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
I haven't played Madden as much, but I disagree with the gameplay sucking. Running and blocking is a lot better, and that's a pretty good sized step right there. Defense is tough, but you can adjust things to balance it out. The only things truly dumb about it are the new kicking meter and not having turbo anymore. No turbo especially blows.
The run blocking is good, but it makes it TOO easy to run. They need to find a balance with defenses.

The kick meter is retarded. Also, you can put turbo back on. I actually like the no turbo thing, if you follow blocks and find holes they burst through it.

The most annoying part to me is all the god damn ads they throw in your face. Old Spice Red Zone, Doritos Player of the Game...blah, blah, shut the **** up Madden.

Old
08-16-2010, 01:29 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
The run blocking is good, but it makes it TOO easy to run. They need to find a balance with defenses.

The kick meter is retarded. Also, you can put turbo back on. I actually like the no turbo thing, if you follow blocks and find holes they burst through it.

The most annoying part to me is all the god damn ads they throw in your face. Old Spice Red Zone, Doritos Player of the Game...blah, blah, shut the **** up Madden.
Get used to it. All sports games do it now. If there's money to be made, they will do it.

This post is brought to you by Skittles.

Skittles. Taste the Rainbow.

Old
08-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
The main boards is the debil.

Old
08-16-2010, 02:06 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwood View Post
The main boards is the debil.

I'm not sure if this was intentionally or not, but "debil" means "moronic" in german.

Old
08-16-2010, 02:23 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Speaking of which, I started Fallout 3 a few weeks ago. Like it a lot. I think I'll continue it tonight.
It's damn good. And "New Vegas" comes out in october.

Old
08-16-2010, 03:06 PM
IrishSniper87

Did they change the font for the site or something? HF just got weird looking.

Old
08-16-2010, 03:18 PM
CharlieGirl
Go Rangers Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
I'm not sure if this was intentionally or not, but "debil" means "moronic" in german.
Ha - that's unintentional perfection right there!

Old
08-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Ha - that's unintentional perfection right there!
WIN!

Seriously, that is awesome. I honestly had no clue.

Old
08-16-2010, 05:51 PM
UseYourAllusion

Just got a liter of Sailor Jerry for 16 bucks. Pretty pleased about that!

Old
08-17-2010, 12:31 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwood View Post
WIN!

Seriously, that is awesome. I honestly had no clue.
There's also a funny anecdote about this. One of probably the most popular german bands in existence is called "Die Ärzte" (the doctors), a punk rock band which integrates a variety of styles in their later years and has a lot of funny lyrics to go with them. Their first album was called "Debil" and came out in 1984, but was put on the so called Index by the german censors in 1987, which meant it couldn't be advertised or be sold openly. This also usually means that retailers won't order them since they can't really sell well, and some retailers won't order anything by the band.

The ban was largely due to two songs entitled "Claudia hat 'nen Schäferhund" (Claudia's got a german shepherd dog) and "Schlaflied" (Lullaby). Another song from a different album that got censored was called "Geschwisterliebe" (sibling love). They later released another album with these songs and a few additions specifically designed to be put on the Index called "Ab 18" (18+).

Anyway, during a revision of the Index in 2004, the album was no longer deemed unsuitable enough to suffer this and could now be openly sold, like a few other Ärzte records. Subsequently, the album was rereleased under the name "Devil".

Old
08-17-2010, 12:46 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
There's also a funny anecdote about this. One of probably the most popular german bands in existence is called "Die Ärzte" (the doctors), a punk rock band which integrates a variety of styles in their later years and has a lot of funny lyrics to go with them. Their first album was called "Debil" and came out in 1984, but was put on the so called Index by the german censors in 1987, which meant it couldn't be advertised or be sold openly. This also usually means that retailers won't order them since they can't really sell well, and some retailers won't order anything by the band.

The ban was largely due to two songs entitled "Claudia hat 'nen Schäferhund" (Claudia's got a german shepherd dog) and "Schlaflied" (Lullaby). Another song from a different album that got censored was called "Geschwisterliebe" (sibling love). They later released another album with these songs and a few additions specifically designed to be put on the Index called "Ab 18" (18+).

Anyway, during a revision of the Index in 2004, the album was no longer deemed unsuitable enough to suffer this and could now be openly sold, like a few other Ärzte records. Subsequently, the album was rereleased under the name "Devil".

Germany has an "Index?" this is actually news to me. when i think of the Index, i think of the Catholic organization. so is anything actually banned today?

Old
08-17-2010, 01:05 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Germany has an "Index?" this is actually news to me. when i think of the Index, i think of the Catholic organization. so is anything actually banned today?
Yeah, plenty of things. One of the songs I mentioned, "Geschwisterliebe" is still on the index. Some grotesque and bloody horror movies are on there. Certain video games, e.g. GTA Vice City or the american version of Half-Life (they made a german version where the marines are replaced with robots). Also, right-wing and Neo-Nazi propaganda or pretty much anything using a swastika, no matter the context. Basically anything that is deemed "glorifying violence" or otherwise "harmful to minors" after a certain threshold. This usually prompts publishers of these media to revise the product for the german market, e.g. video game companies having corpses vanish or coloring the blood green or comic book publishers removing swastikas from manga, even when they were meant to mean something different and not pertain to Nazism.

The government organization responsible for this is called "Bundesprüfstelle für Jugendgefährdende Medien" (Federal Department for Media Harmful to Young Persons) and I hate them with a flaming passion. At least here in Austria I'm out of their grasp.

I am kinda surprised that you didn't know this existed though. German censorship, especially in regards to video games, is quite infamous.

Old
08-17-2010, 01:11 AM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Quote:

Nice. Indexes/censorship are kind of useless. I mean, it's just going to become "suitable" someday, so why wait?

Quote:
I would be interested to hear this as well.

EDIT: And I see you already posted it lol.

Last edited by Pwood: 08-17-2010 at 01:12 AM. Reason: I'm slow.
Old
08-17-2010, 01:13 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

i read as far as Half-Life before my mind exploded.

edit: i have actually heard nothing of german censorship. i mean, i know about east germany and the whole nazi deal, but i didnt know such strictness still went on.

Old
08-17-2010, 01:25 AM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

WTF! There is some awesome stuff on that list.

To name a few:

Doom series
Duke Nukem
Goldeneye 007
Half-Life series
Killer Instinct
Lethal Enforcers
Mortal Kombat series
My Asian Ladies Collection Vol. 1 (haha jk)
Nightmare Creatures II
Predator
Quake series
Resident Evil series
Super Double Dragon
The House of the Dead series
War Gods

I omitted a few here and there, as I could see the connections to the past that Germany would like to forget.

Old
08-17-2010, 01:31 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
i read as far as Half-Life before my mind exploded.

edit: i have actually heard nothing of german censorship. i mean, i know about east germany and the whole nazi deal, but i didnt know such strictness still went on.
Actually, it is kind of the Nazi thing that led to this. Not because the german government wants to act like the nazis, but because so many stupid people think that anything you see in a video game, movie or comic book will make imitate that behavior, including the depiction of Nazis.

I also remember a Resident Evil comicbook a friend of mine had, where the publisher put black boxes over the gore. They had actually a clever idea for it where you could send age identification to the publisher with a self-addressed stamped envelope and they'd send you stickers of the gore you could paste over the black boxes to de-censor the comic.

As for Half life, here's a video of the german edition, including corpses disappearing, "dead" friendly NPCs just cowering over, the lack of blood and gore, and of course the already mentioned robot marines. Watch on your own risk.

Edit: Ironically my youtube link doesn't work because the youtube code included the three letters M, U and C in a certain order and the auto-censorship of the board took care of that. Here's a ******* link.

Edit: You got to be ****ing kidding me. TU is apparently itself censored. Screw it. Just search youtube for "Half Life german version".

Last edited by chaosof99*: 08-17-2010 at 02:19 AM.
Old
08-17-2010, 02:03 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Wow, German video games. All I can say is, I'm sorry. Is there any video games out there which have blood and stuff in them?

Old
08-17-2010, 02:18 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Wow, German video games. All I can say is, I'm sorry. Is there any video games out there which have blood and stuff in them?
Well, yeah. You can even buy the stuff on the list provided you find someone to sell them to you. They just can't be advertised or publicly displayed there.

I however have had little trouble due to austria being much more lax about this sort of stuff. The only thing I can really remember is having been asked once how old I was when I bought GTA: San Andreas. I do remember however some german politicians trying to outlaw the importation of such games when they are being ordered from austrian online-retailers. I dunno what come off that though.

Old
08-17-2010, 04:10 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Yeah, plenty of things. One of the songs I mentioned, "Geschwisterliebe" is still on the index. Some grotesque and bloody horror movies are on there. Certain video games, e.g. GTA Vice City or the american version of Half-Life (they made a german version where the marines are replaced with robots). Also, right-wing and Neo-Nazi propaganda or pretty much anything using a swastika, no matter the context. Basically anything that is deemed "glorifying violence" or otherwise "harmful to minors" after a certain threshold. This usually prompts publishers of these media to revise the product for the german market, e.g. video game companies having corpses vanish or coloring the blood green or comic book publishers removing swastikas from manga, even when they were meant to mean something different and not pertain to Nazism.

The government organization responsible for this is called "Bundesprüfstelle für Jugendgefährdende Medien" (Federal Department for Media Harmful to Young Persons) and I hate them with a flaming passion. At least here in Austria I'm out of their grasp.

I am kinda surprised that you didn't know this existed though. German censorship, especially in regards to video games, is quite infamous.
Interesting note that I once heard (and am pretty sure is correct), in the movie "Evil Dead 2" there are scenes where blood is pouring out of the walls. All of a sudden, the blood will turn black(ish). Apparently, there were rules in place at the time that allowed only a certain amount of blood to be shown in an R rated movie. Any more blood than that would warrant an X rating. So, to avoid getting an X rating (therefore losing any chance of making money in the theaters), they colored some of the blood black(ish).

The more you know -----------* (fffffwing!)

Old
08-17-2010, 10:16 AM
Ri hards

Hey DBR...meant to ask you a little while ago. How's the hockey going? What about the coaching?

Old
08-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

wow, i feel bad for germans now.

Old
08-17-2010, 11:08 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I remember when Battlefield 1942 came out, since the makers of the game were European they expected a big European release as well, especially in Germany. Because of their laws and Nazism, they replaced all the Nazi stuff with Iron Crosses so that they wouldn't have to make a separate game for Germany.

Old
08-17-2010, 11:12 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Actually, it is kind of the Nazi thing that led to this. Not because the german government wants to act like the nazis, but because so many stupid people think that anything you see in a video game, movie or comic book will make imitate that behavior, including the depiction of Nazis.

I also remember a Resident Evil comicbook a friend of mine had, where the publisher put black boxes over the gore. They had actually a clever idea for it where you could send age identification to the publisher with a self-addressed stamped envelope and they'd send you stickers of the gore you could paste over the black boxes to de-censor the comic.

As for Half life, here's a video of the german edition, including corpses disappearing, "dead" friendly NPCs just cowering over, the lack of blood and gore, and of course the already mentioned robot marines. Watch on your own risk.

Edit: Ironically my youtube link doesn't work because the youtube code included the three letters M, U and C in a certain order and the auto-censorship of the board took care of that. Here's a ******* link.

Edit: You got to be ****ing kidding me. TU is apparently itself censored. Screw it. Just search youtube for "Half Life german version".
Go edit the link where you add a space in between two of your 3 letters, and then when we click it, just remove the space.

And if a mod wants to hit me with that for something legit that's a problem with the filter, and not the other way around, go right ahead.

Old
08-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Get used to it. All sports games do it now. If there's money to be made, they will do it.

This post is brought to you by Skittles.

Skittles. Taste the Rainbow.

i want to applaud the effort that might have gone into making Skittles

Closed Thread