HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Calgary Political bandwagon

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2004, 11:00 PM
alecfromtherock

vCash: 500
Calgary Political bandwagon

3 leaders of the Canadian federal parties are ‘rooting’ for the Calgary Flames. Meanwhile they probably do not care about the team, and are just in it for a photo shoot. It’s the same for fans that only go to a game for one player, not the team itself.

There is just one problem for Paul Martin, if the Liberals and Flames fate are the one this could benefit Tampa Bay.

The Liberals do not look like they are going to form another majority government, meaning they are going to lose the election. Does this mean that the Flames are going to lose the Stanley Cup?

Leader of the BQ said that he is going for the better team, Tampa Bay.

Tampa Bay stepped up their game in # 2, vinny had much more of a physical presence.

My question is: how many people in Canada actually care if the Flames win the Cup? Because they are the only Canadian team left you cheer for them??

If they were a all Canadian team, I suppose some would be cheering for them, but there is no such thing as a ‘Canadian’ team anymore. Most rosters have a lot of American, Russian and Fins on them.

Most people In Ontario, Quebec, BC and the Atlantic provinces are not Flames fans.

Old
05-28-2004, 11:18 PM
Bud The Spud*

Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecfromtherock
My question is: how many people in Canada actually care if the Flames win the Cup? Because they are the only Canadian team left you cheer for them??

If they were a all Canadian team, I suppose some would be cheering for them, but there is no such thing as a ‘Canadian’ team anymore. Most rosters have a lot of American, Russian and Fins on them.

Most people In Ontario, Quebec, BC and the Atlantic provinces are not Flames fans.
I care and it doesn't matter to me that the team doesn't consist of all Canadians. It's that the team is located in Canada that matters to me. It's been a long time since a Canadian team made the finals or won the cup.

Old
05-28-2004, 11:35 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
the fames are a good young team I can see why folks are on the band wagon

myself i am kind of impartial

since I root for Gods Team Toronto Maple Leafs

OTHER TEAMS PALE IN COMAPRRISON

I am praying for andreychuk to get a cup before his long nhl career is over.

Old
05-29-2004, 03:01 AM
Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmour's Way

I am praying for andreychuk to get a cup before his long nhl career is over.
People keep talking about how they would like to see Andreychuk win the cup but what about Dave Lowry? I know he hasn't had the type of career that Andreychuk has but he has played over 1000 games and has tons of heart. He deserves to drink from Lord Stanley's mug.

Old
05-29-2004, 10:14 AM
Flycoon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire
People keep talking about how they would like to see Andreychuk win the cup but what about Dave Lowry? I know he hasn't had the type of career that Andreychuk has but he has played over 1000 games and has tons of heart. He deserves to drink from Lord Stanley's mug.
No one "deserves" anything. Andreychuk is mentioned due to his certain induction in the HOF, but he doesn't "deserve" it any more than the immortal Dave Lowry.

Old
05-29-2004, 02:24 PM
Snakeeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecfromtherock
Leader of the BQ said that he is going for the better team, Tampa Bay.

The leader of the BQ is not going for the "better team", he is going for the team with more francophones. It is doubtful he cares who is better either.

I would say a lot of Canadians care if Calgary wins the Cup. Not because they are necessaraly Flames fans - or even on the bandwagon - but because of the general belief that Americans are trying to steal our game. Especially with all of the ridiculous expansion to the American Sunbelt.

That we are playing Tampa really builds on that sentiment.

It is mostly the "It's OUR cup, it belongs in OUR country" attitude, and it wouldnt matter which Canadian team was there. The reaction would be the same for Vancouver or Ottawa.

Old
05-29-2004, 02:47 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
The leader of the BQ is not going for the "better team", he is going for the team with more francophones. It is doubtful he cares who is better either.

I would say a lot of Canadians care if Calgary wins the Cup. Not because they are necessaraly Flames fans - or even on the bandwagon - but because of the general belief that Americans are trying to steal our game. Especially with all of the ridiculous expansion to the American Sunbelt.

That we are playing Tampa really builds on that sentiment.

It is mostly the "It's OUR cup, it belongs in OUR country" attitude, and it wouldnt matter which Canadian team was there. The reaction would be the same for Vancouver or Ottawa.

This is a wrong attitude... Stealing "our" game? There are alot of other countries playing hockey too, you know. Are Canadians greedy? What's wrong with hockey expanssion?

Another question... reaction for Vancouver or Ottawa would probably be the same, but what about the Leafs? Would they get the same support just because they are Canadian team?

I also read couple of Oilers boards and they don't seem to be very excited about Calgary winning the Cup.

I actually read alot about how Canadian fans will support any Canadian team going for the Cup , but now after their teams are done (hearts are broken) they aren't so enthusiastic about Cup in Calgary.

Btw I noticed that many American fans (me included) are rooting for the Flames. (Although I am torn ...because I'd liked for Andreychuk to get a Cup, he really worked hard to get it)

Old
05-29-2004, 03:36 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmour's Way
the fames are a good young team I can see why folks are on the band wagon
Uh, the Lightning fit the "good young team" description, even probably more so than the Flames....proving that whether Calgary is "good" or "young" really has nothing to do with most of Canada jumping the bandwagon.

Old
05-29-2004, 05:13 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
As a swede I cannot really understand this, I support my team and only my team (in NHL Tampa), I cannot understand how you can support a team just cause it comes from a certain country.

Here in Europe we don't support teams by the country they come from, let me take an example. I support a swedish team named AIK and if there was a league like NHL here in europe I wouldn't supprt Djurgarden just cause they come from Sweden, no never in my life that I would support an "enemy" team.

Of course you can have teams that you like mroe than others but that shouldn't be based of which country they come from.

Old
05-29-2004, 05:17 PM
Flycoon*

The notion of "our game" is ludicrous. Seems that 4 of the original 6 weren't "your" teams and the Flames are Calgary's ONLY because the NHL was dumb enough to put the franchise in one of the two worst sports markets in the country. The other being Miami.

"Your game" is the CFL. Revel in the fact that it is yours and yours alone and the neighbors to the south have no interset in it.

Old
05-29-2004, 05:24 PM
sehnsucht

the "canada's" team thing is because a canadian team hasn't been to the finals for a LONG time and I'm not going to say anything about "our game" or anything but because hockey is such a religion in Canada, the nation is gathering behind the flames

Old
05-29-2004, 06:17 PM
Super

I chear for Calgary, but not because they are "Canadas team" but because they are my favorites. I wouldnt care less if canadians cheered for an American team.

Old
05-29-2004, 07:46 PM
chriss_co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycoon
The notion of "our game" is ludicrous. Seems that 4 of the original 6 weren't "your" teams and the Flames are Calgary's ONLY because the NHL was dumb enough to put the franchise in one of the two worst sports markets in the country. The other being Miami.

"Your game" is the CFL. Revel in the fact that it is yours and yours alone and the neighbors to the south have no interset in it.

Its our game because up north we live and breathe hockey

down south you guys live and breathe something else... since im not an american im not sure what it is.. either the NFL of NBA? im not sure where MLB fits in but its plain and simple that more than the majority of Americans could careless about the NHL

now.. having said that, I dont believe that there shouldn't be US based hockey teams.. there are alot of hockey hotbeds in the states (most of them close to the 49th parallel) but overall, the interest is quite low.. that is why hockey is our game

Old
05-29-2004, 07:51 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
I guess that explains why the two Albertan teams were the ones fighting off re-location just a few years ago, while the only teams making profits right now are American.

Old
05-30-2004, 12:14 AM
Snakeeye

Quote:

No, the original four teams in the NHL were all Canadian: The Montreal Canadiens, Toronto Arenas, Montreal Wanderers and Ottawa Senators.

The Stanley Cup was donated by Lord Stanley to the best amateur hockey team in Canada.

That said, doesnt matter how ridiculous you think that opinion is, it does exist. Gary Bettman's entire tenure has been so focused on breaking through into the US mindset that he has all but forgotten Canada, often treating Canadian fans like dirt in his quest for American interest.

And that is why many Canadians are cheering for the Flames. Certantly a lot of Oiler and Canuck fans are not cheering for us, as you cannot just throw away the rivalry (I wouldnt cheer for either of them if they were in this position), but a good majority of hockey fans in this country hav adopted the Flames, at least temporaraly. Just as they would for any other Canadian team.

Old
05-30-2004, 12:16 AM
Snakeeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
I guess that explains why the two Albertan teams were the ones fighting off re-location just a few years ago, while the only teams making profits right now are American.
Actually, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto will all turn profits this year. Ottawa and Montreal I am unsure of.

And Calgary's worst year financially doesnt come close to some of the losses many American teams are reeling from. St. Louis especially loses about as much in one year as Calgary has in their previous five.

Old
05-30-2004, 11:56 AM
coolio123

Quote:

"One of two worst sport markets"
Have you ever been to Calgary?
Even before this whole hoopla season, Calgarians were crazy about hockey. With over 50 indoor rinks and numerous outdoor rinks the city is truly a hockey city. Winters filled with pickup games at the local outdoor rink and summers filled with street hockey games. These people love hockey.

Old
05-30-2004, 01:25 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Actually, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto will all turn profits this year. Ottawa and Montreal I am unsure of.

And Calgary's worst year financially doesnt come close to some of the losses many American teams are reeling from. St. Louis especially loses about as much in one year as Calgary has in their previous five.
Montreal will always turn a profit just like Toronto will. They just have too many die-hard fans for it not to happen.
As for Ottawa, I think they'll probably turn a profit...their payroll isn't that big and they go 7 with the Leafs this year.

Old
05-30-2004, 02:27 PM
Snakeeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
Montreal will always turn a profit just like Toronto will. They just have too many die-hard fans for it not to happen.
As for Ottawa, I think they'll probably turn a profit...their payroll isn't that big and they go 7 with the Leafs this year.
Ok. I wasnt sure on Montreal, given the oppressive tax structure in Quebec.

Old
05-30-2004, 04:06 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:

What a joke

Old
05-31-2004, 02:50 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Ok. I wasnt sure on Montreal, given the oppressive tax structure in Quebec.
I know, it's surprising. The Canadiens pay the highest property tax for the Bell Centre in the entire league...and by quite a fair margin.

Old
05-31-2004, 04:12 AM
alecfromtherock

Do not forget that property tax in Canadian dollars loses a lot of value with the exchange rate(in comparisons).

Collage football is a huge draw in the states, perhaps the largest of all sports.

Baseball is Americas sport, with the way the Blue Jays are playing recently they may have the title uncontested.

Winnipeg and Hamilton need to get a NHL franchise, there was talk the Penguins could move to Winnipeg.

Leafs fans are an entire different breed of fans, their team will have 40 years without a Stanley Cup in a few years. They put the fanatical in fan, such dedication.

Companions to hockey in Canada to a religion are quite correct. However if something is not done about the tarnish which now shrouds the game, we will all have to convert.

On the news it said that one fan was seriously injured after the Flames win on Saturday.

Todd Bertusie (sp), the looming lockout and the lack of respect from players(high sticking in the face..) Are all parts of the problem, finding a solution might not be possible.

Ticket prices are much too high for the quality of the game we are seeing, should be slashed by 1/3.

The NHLPA must realise that teams are losing money, and that a salary cap will benefit the teams under the average amount. 600 players could ruin the game for hundreds of thousands of fans?

Don Cheery is wrong about the refs calling too much, calling everything like it is will not cause the injury of a player.

Canada might have had a good hockey career thus far, but Russia and the CCCP also have had a strong history of victory.

Old
05-31-2004, 07:31 AM
quat
vapid but stately

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:

Hardly. I think refering to hockey as Canadian, or as "our game" kind of makes sense, because it means much more in Canada than it does in the states. It shouldn't be to difficult for you to grasp that there is more than just one league playing hockey in Canada. "Our game" refers to hockey, not just the NHL.

Our game is the CFL? American football with a couple of different rules? Uh... sure buddy.

Concidering hockey can be pretty well argued to have originated and developed primarily in Canada before spreading to the neighbours and then overseas, it seems fair to call it "Our game".

What's that sport our illustrious neighbours just to the south invented... their national pastime? Oh yeah... baseball. And what's that series they play in at the end of the season? "The World Series". Well now... how cute.

The Atlanta Thrashers you mean? heh... How about the Colorado Rockies? Isn't Minny like the biggest hockey state in America, and yet they lost the North Stars. It would seem teams do move from time to time, even in places that love hockey.

Having said that, I've never liked the idea of hockey in the sunbelt... yet there's a huge number of fans that seem to enjoy teams like the Sharks and the Kings.

Closed Thread