Notices

Question about Kyle Brodziak

Old
08-10-2010, 02:45 AM
ERC91

vCash: 500
Question about Kyle Brodziak

Hi, an Edmonton fan here.

On our board we have a discussion about the possibility of bringing back Brodziak.

My question is not about the availability, but rather about the player himself.

Nearly all people on our board trash him quite badly, while me and few others (especially due to his stats) think that he has developed into a very serviceable 3rd liner with you.

So what do you actually think about him?

ERC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 08:07 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
he's a solid 3rd liner. He was playing quite a bit of second line minutes though--not sure how much that would alter his stats but playing with Latendresse and Havlat couldn't have hurt them.

Dude had more golden opportunities to score than I've ever seen anyone have in a season and whiffed on most of them. Still, responsible defensively and mobile enough. He'll be our 3rd/4th line center this year (with PK duties) depending on how much gas Madden has left in the tank.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 08:38 AM
nickschultzfan

Decent 3rd line center with some upside. Wins faceoffs, isn't a defensive liability, and knows how to keep the attack going in the offensive zone.

Not a natural goal scorer or playmaker, but he's big and strong, and does a good job of getting the puck to lazier linemates. Wish he hit more, but I like the way he uses his size and leverage along the boards and behind the net. He also seems to get points with limited minutes.

A bit of jack-of-all trades, master of none.

I'm excited to see if he can get some chemistry with maybe Kobasew and Bouchard on the 3rd line. Brodziak could probably put in 40-45 points if that line were together all season.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 08:55 AM
grN1g

a reliable 3rd line center who prefers to play the checking role on the team and does it well, but can also be thrown into a scoring line and pitch in a few points aswell.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

IMO he's a very good fourth liner with some third line upside. He skates very well, he's physical, and he's a strong defensive player. But those are all fourth line attributes in this system, because we don't have a checking line.

Most fans seemed to think he did well with Latendresse and Havlat, and some even thing he could be a 20g/40+pt player. I don't think he did well at all...he has brick hands, can't capitalize on scoring chances, consistently skated past the net rather than stopping to receive passes or chip in rebounds, and basically racked up a bunch of points playing with guys above his pay grade.

He even said he was more comfortable playing a checking role than a scoring one...which is why I have him as a fourth liner or possibly a third liner in a traditional checking line. I don't think he has any "upside", but that doesn't devalue his role as a defensive/energy forward on this team.

I'll say he's a 3rd/4th line center, probably plays 82 games and gets 10g and 15a for 25pts.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 09:44 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
IMO he's a very good fourth liner with some third line upside. He skates very well, he's physical, and he's a strong defensive player. But those are all fourth line attributes in this system, because we don't have a checking line.

Most fans seemed to think he did well with Latendresse and Havlat, and some even thing he could be a 20g/40+pt player. I don't think he did well at all...he has brick hands, can't capitalize on scoring chances, consistently skated past the net rather than stopping to receive passes or chip in rebounds, and basically racked up a bunch of points playing with guys above his pay grade.

He even said he was more comfortable playing a checking role than a scoring one...which is why I have him as a fourth liner or possibly a third liner in a traditional checking line. I don't think he has any "upside", but that doesn't devalue his role as a defensive/energy forward on this team.

I'll say he's a 3rd/4th line center, probably plays 82 games and gets 10g and 15a for 25pts.
Lats and Havlat were much more productive when they were playing with Brodziak than with Ebbett. In ever aspect of the game.

And Brodziak had ~16 points in ~20 games with Lats and Havlat in January and February.

Old
08-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Lats and Havlat were much more productive when they were playing with Brodziak than with Ebbett. In ever aspect of the game.

And Brodziak had ~16 points in ~20 games with Lats and Havlat in January and February.
Of course they're better with a 3rd/4th liner than with an AHL'er. Let's see how they do with a real quality center next year.

I can't find a good resource for line combos from game to game, but I do know that Brodziak wasn't exactly driving that engine. Hell, he had a whopping THREE goals in that time span...and all of December and almost all of November without a single goal.

Old
08-10-2010, 10:44 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Of course they're better with a 3rd/4th liner than with an AHL'er. Let's see how they do with a real quality center next year.

I can't find a good resource for line combos from game to game, but I do know that Brodziak wasn't exactly driving that engine. Hell, he had a whopping THREE goals in that time span...and all of December and almost all of November without a single goal.
I think you are attributing me to points I wasn't making. I was just saying Brodziak could put up some decent numbers if get plays with some decent offensive linemates on the 3rd line. 42 points is within his range.

Hopefully, Cullen is put with Lats and Havlat (and he works there). And Brodziak definitely wasn't the engine on that line, but he wasn't a negative like Belanger or Ebbet or Sheppard or whoever else we tried between those two.

Old
08-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Ebbett wasn't a negative at first, he actually ripped it up and the whole line was great. And then he got Jovo'd and turned to crap. Belanger just wasn't a good fit...he had good speed but would come in and miss the net and turn the puck over.

But I'd say Brodziak mostly just stayed high and out of the way and let those two work. Hopefully Cullen can actually participate in the play.

Old
08-10-2010, 11:52 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Decent 3rd line center with some upside. Wins faceoffs, isn't a defensive liability, and knows how to keep the attack going in the offensive zone.

Not a natural goal scorer or playmaker, but he's big and strong, and does a good job of getting the puck to lazier linemates. Wish he hit more, but I like the way he uses his size and leverage along the boards and behind the net. He also seems to get points with limited minutes.

A bit of jack-of-all trades, master of none.

I'm excited to see if he can get some chemistry with maybe Kobasew and Bouchard on the 3rd line. Brodziak could probably put in 40-45 points if that line were together all season.
Basically this outside of the last paragraph.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 12:55 PM
ERC91

Thanks to all of you so far.

You mostly backed up my point, allthough my battle on the other board seems to be hopeless xD

Last edited by ERC91: 08-10-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old
08-10-2010, 01:23 PM
TheTenderness
¡VIVA EL NIÑO!

It's interesting that Oil fans see him as being soft. He didn't throw his weight around much in terms of dishing out hits, but I thought he played fairly physical here.

I noticed he was also taking some heat for being lazy. It seems like they're talking about a completely different player.

He's been a great 3/4 depth guy to have around with a good contract. His point totals are inflated because of the time he spent with Havlatendresse, but honestly any offense he provides is just a bonus anyways. He earns his money in his own end and on the forecheck.

TheTenderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 01:42 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERC91 View Post
Thanks to all of you so far.

You mostly backed up my point, allthough my battle on the other board seems to be hopeless xD
Sort of figured it would after replying in it earlier, but that's usually the case about former players.

Old
08-10-2010, 02:11 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTenderness View Post
It's interesting that Oil fans see him as being soft. He didn't throw his weight around much in terms of dishing out hits, but I thought he played fairly physical here.

I noticed he was also taking some heat for being lazy. It seems like they're talking about a completely different player.

He's been a great 3/4 depth guy to have around with a good contract. His point totals are inflated because of the time he spent with Havlatendresse, but honestly any offense he provides is just a bonus anyways. He earns his money in his own end and on the forecheck.
I can see where they are coming from though.

He definitely doesn't hit as much as he should. And he doesn't finish his check of the opponent passes the puck away. However, he's physical in the same way that Brunette is physical. When he has the puck or when it's in the corner, he will definitely muscle his way into possession, which a lot of players don't (including the very "physical" Clutterbuck who gets pushed off the puck). In terms of being physical, Brodziak is a wrestler; Clutterbuck a football player.

And Brodziak definitely can be lazy at points, depending on whether he thinks he can make a play. If he thinks he can, he works quiet hard. But if he thinks the opponent has a step on him or is out of his reach, he essentially shuts off the motor. Not a "relentless attack" kind of guy at all.

Old
08-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I never thought Brodziak needed to be more physical. Even in this system, I'd rather my center not be running around hitting everything that moved.

I actually thought he played better when he was a little more patient and tried not to just go 100 miles an hour. I like him as a checker rather than just the energy bug Veilleux/Clutterbuck type.

Old
08-10-2010, 02:19 PM
ERC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Sort of figured it would after replying in it earlier, but that's usually the case about former players.
Unfortunately it seems so.

Old
08-10-2010, 03:14 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
I never thought Brodziak needed to be more physical. Even in this system, I'd rather my center not be running around hitting everything that moved.

I actually thought he played better when he was a little more patient and tried not to just go 100 miles an hour. I like him as a checker rather than just the energy bug Veilleux/Clutterbuck type.
A little off topic:

I'm interested in seeing if Richards can intelligently use Nystrom-Madden-Clutterbuck as a line. With Boogy gone, we can't actually have a 4th line that isn't a liability. Meaning that we can throw out our 4th line whenever we want.

If Richards is smart, he shoudl be able to throw out Nystrom-Madden-Clutterbuck a few times a game to really work the other team over both physical-wise and energy-wise. Such as pinning the top Dman pairing out on the ice when they have been out too long. Or laying some big hits on the other teams 1st line.

Old
08-10-2010, 03:17 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERC91 View Post
Unfortunately it seems so.
It's true and I really can't say that I'm above it.

Old
08-10-2010, 04:03 PM
ERC91

Quote:
It's true and I really can't say that I'm above it.
Yes, and I think I will give up now. Otherwise I might get expelled from the board xD.

Off-topic question: Might James Sheppard be available?

Last edited by ERC91: 08-10-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old
08-10-2010, 04:06 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Hells ****ing yes!

Old
08-10-2010, 04:17 PM
ERC91

Quote:
Hells ****ing yes!
How much?

Old
08-10-2010, 04:19 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

What's your offer?

Old
08-10-2010, 04:23 PM
ERC91

Quote:
What's your offer?
I would have offered something like Cogliano for Sheppard and a pick.

Not sure how much you value him though.

Old
08-10-2010, 04:40 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Done! Pick can be anywhere from the 4th to the 7th

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 04:44 PM
ERC91