HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

SFY Appreciation Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-02-2010, 05:46 PM
  #1
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,148
vCash: 500
SFY Appreciation Thread

What We Learned: Is Steve Yzerman already the best GM in the league?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-259561


Ronny Franchise and Paul Maurice look on in envy.


Last edited by Felonious Python: 08-02-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Felonious Python is online now  
Old
08-02-2010, 05:55 PM
  #2
stammerhammer91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 412
vCash: 500
Steve Yzerman has always been my favorite player and he is my idol, i am soooooooo happy that he is the lightning general manager and i see multiple stanley cups in the future for the bolts

stammerhammer91 is offline  
Old
08-02-2010, 06:49 PM
  #3
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames
 
Vasilevskiy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Barcelona
Country: Spain
Posts: 8,753
vCash: 500
SFY... what else to say

Vasilevskiy is offline  
Old
08-02-2010, 07:43 PM
  #4
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates
 
Going Back to Cally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St.Pete, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 28,746
vCash: 286
I appreciate him.

Going Back to Cally is offline  
Old
08-02-2010, 08:17 PM
  #5
ultra63
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
What We Learned: Is Steve Yzerman already the best GM in the league?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-259561


Ronny Franchise and Paul Maurice look on in envy.
"the Lightning are going to make the playoffs. Book it. They won't win the division, but they'll give Washington a better run for their money than people probably think. They'll maybe even get out of the first round" Who would have thought this before SY??

ultra63 is offline  
Old
08-02-2010, 09:58 PM
  #6
Staalguy
Registered User
 
Staalguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 590
vCash: 500
People say that dynesties are................wait til SFY is done with the lightning and then we can talk

Staalguy is offline  
Old
08-02-2010, 11:11 PM
  #7
CSampson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,212
vCash: 500
I love you.

CSampson is offline  
Old
08-02-2010, 11:52 PM
  #8
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,044
vCash: 500
I'm as excited as the next guy, but appreciate the team through ticket sales and curb your enthusiasm. Lets focus on being at least a .500 hockey club before we talk about playoffs, second and third rounds, and dynasties.

Baby steps.

The Fear Boners is offline  
Old
08-02-2010, 11:58 PM
  #9
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,044
vCash: 500
Furthermore...

Quote:
He signed Pavel Kubina(notes) for a Tampa victory lap and as a bit of a tutor for Victor Hedman(notes), who perhaps didn't live up to his potential last year.
What the **** ever. I don't know what the **** people expect from an 18 year old anymore but this **** is ridiculous. Hes 6'6, still growing, was a minus three on a borderline lottery team while playing the most time on a pairing with Kurtis Foster who is TERRIBLE defensively, and STILL put up 20 points.

20 points as a rookie is ABOVE LEAGUE AVERAGE.

ABOVE. LEAGUE. AVERAGE. ****ing stupid.

The Fear Boners is offline  
Old
08-03-2010, 01:01 AM
  #10
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Maelmoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,611
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
A fantastic start for sure!

What matters most is the credibility he brought with him, that is such a valueble asset and we have seen how it helped him to sign players this summer.

__________________
Todd Harvey, Adam Oates and Darren Puppa, you are all missed in the game of hockey!
Maelmoor is offline  
Old
08-03-2010, 07:22 PM
  #11
LetsNotUseNames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 129
vCash: 500

They should make a new one for GM Steve Yzerman. It will start with Paul Holmgren just after he gets off the phone and flow backwards to Steve Yzerman dialing a number and picking up the phone.

LetsNotUseNames is offline  
Old
08-03-2010, 07:45 PM
  #12
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates
 
Going Back to Cally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St.Pete, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 28,746
vCash: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
Furthermore...



What the **** ever. I don't know what the **** people expect from an 18 year old anymore but this **** is ridiculous. Hes 6'6, still growing, was a minus three on a borderline lottery team while playing the most time on a pairing with Kurtis Foster who is TERRIBLE defensively, and STILL put up 20 points.

20 points as a rookie is ABOVE LEAGUE AVERAGE.

ABOVE. LEAGUE. AVERAGE. ****ing stupid.
Not to mention that at 18 he is playing in a new country and on a different ice surface. Go play hockey on a tennis court and then play on a full size rink and see how different they are.

Hedman got 7 less points than Drew Doughty's rookie season yet was -3 when Doughty was a Meszarosian -17 even though Doughty was far more well adjusted to the NA style of play.

Going Back to Cally is offline  
Old
08-03-2010, 09:02 PM
  #13
rwilson99
Registered User
 
rwilson99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TAMPA, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,895
vCash: 500
I fully expect SFY to trade Mike Smith to the Sharks for Dan Boyle to round out the defence and then pick up Antti Niemi for 3 years at about 2.5 per year... and to send a fax to Chicago with the following...

"That's for stealing away Khabibulin."

I'm SFY

rwilson99 is offline  
Old
08-03-2010, 09:17 PM
  #14
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User
 
Doctor Drej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Quiet Room
Country: United States
Posts: 10,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilson99 View Post
I fully expect SFY to trade Mike Smith to the Sharks for Dan Boyle to round out the defence and then pick up Antti Niemi for 3 years at about 2.5 per year... and to send a fax to Chicago with the following...

"That's for stealing away Khabibulin."

I'm SFY

Doctor Drej is offline  
Old
08-03-2010, 11:25 PM
  #15
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,044
vCash: 500
Everyone needs to **** about Niemi, hes terrible.

The Fear Boners is offline  
Old
08-03-2010, 11:27 PM
  #16
Bolt32
Registered User
 
Bolt32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
Everyone needs to **** about Niemi, hes terrible.
I wouldn't go that far as saying hes terrible. But yeah....no need for him here.

Bolt32 is online now  
Old
08-04-2010, 12:08 AM
  #17
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yzerman effect View Post
Not to mention that at 18 he is playing in a new country and on a different ice surface. Go play hockey on a tennis court and then play on a full size rink and see how different they are.

Hedman got 7 less points than Drew Doughty's rookie season yet was -3 when Doughty was a Meszarosian -17 even though Doughty was far more well adjusted to the NA style of play.
Oh and this I didn't realize. Thats amazing, really. I think it also says a lot that Victor did as well as he did, given they gave him zero leash, rarely gave him opportunity to control the breakout, etc etc.

Very interesting - check out the rookie year stats.

Doughty, North American, 2nd overall.
Games: 81
Even Strength TOI: 17:13/game
Power Play TOI: 3:37
Penalty Kill TOI: 2:58
Even Strength Goals/Assists: 3G, 8A
Power Play Goals/Assists: 3G, 13A
Plus/Minus: -17
Lowest TOI/Highest TOI: 21:27, 25:36

Hedman, Sweden, 2nd overall.
Games: 74
Even Strength TOI: 17:01/game
Power Play TOI: 1:19
Penalty Kill TOI: 2:30
Even Strength Goals/Assists: 4G, 15A
Power Play Goals/Assists: 0G, 1A
Plus/Minus: -3
Lowest TOI/Highest TOI: 15:58, 26:13

So, not only did Hedman play LESS games, he also was given LITTLE TO NO powerplay time as Oates ran one defenseman (Foster) and 4 forwards. No issue with that, really, as that was the Stamkos show.

On the other hand, I do take issue in the fact that Hedman had a WORSE defensive partner than Doughty. Doughty played with O'Donnell at ES (40.62% of the time), Kyle Quincey (13.47% of the time), and Jack Johnson (5.4% of the time). Los Angeles had 202 goals for, 226 against in DD's rookie season.

Hedman was paired with Kurtis Foster (27.79% of the time), followed by Ohlund (18.48%), Meszaros (9.47%), Smaby (6.13%), and Krajicek/Hale/Lundin/etc all under 5% of the time at even strength.

Doughtys top three partners (and I know +/- is an iffy stat, but still says something) combined for a total of -21. 59.49% of DD's shifts were with these three.

Hedmans top three partners combined for a total of -27. Hedmans top three partners only ate 55.74% of his total shifts. If you add the next in line to his stats to match the roughly 60% of DD's shifts we're looking at, we would add the next in line (Matt Smaby and his 6.13% of shifts), which turns a -27 into -31. NOTE: If you want this to be more accurate, you can remove Smaby and replace him with a number that puts you closer to 59.5%, which would be either David Hale (-2) or Lukas Krajicek (-4), giving you a range of -27 to -31.

Tampa Bay goaltending combined for an .874 save percentage for Victors rookie year, although this number is skewed by the statistics of Dustin Tokarski and his 44 minutes of play, and .813 save percentage. Goaltenders were, by order of workload, Niittymaki, Smith, Tokarski. Team GAA was 3.34

Los Angeles goaltending combined for a .902 save percentage for Drews rookie year, this number also skewed by the statistics of Labarbera, but where Tokarski played 44 minutes, Labarbera played 19 games and a total of 995 minutes. Goaltenders were, by order of workload, Quick, Ersberg, Labarbera. Team GAA was 2.65.

I guess these two boys aren't as far apart as we first imagined.

The Fear Boners is offline  
Old
08-04-2010, 02:57 AM
  #18
LetsNotUseNames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
Tampa Bay goaltending combined for an .874 save percentage for Victors rookie year, although this number is skewed by the statistics of Dustin Tokarski and his 44 minutes of play, and .813 save percentage. Goaltenders were, by order of workload, Niittymaki, Smith, Tokarski. Team GAA was 3.34

Los Angeles goaltending combined for a .902 save percentage for Drews rookie year, this number also skewed by the statistics of Labarbera, but where Tokarski played 44 minutes, Labarbera played 19 games and a total of 995 minutes. Goaltenders were, by order of workload, Quick, Ersberg, Labarbera. Team GAA was 2.65.
I appreciate your arguement, and agree with what you have to say about Victor Hedman. I have no doubt that he will improve next year due to an added year of experience and what we all hope will be a more capable coaching staff. However, some of your goaltending statistics are inaccurate.

Save Percentage
08 - 09 Kings: .906
09 - 10 Lightning: .904

Goals Against Average
08 - 09 Kings: 2.60
09 - 10 Lightning: 2.98
Attached Files
File Type: txt Math.txt‎ (1.7 KB, 7 views)

LetsNotUseNames is offline  
Old
08-04-2010, 09:52 AM
  #19
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User
 
Doctor Drej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Quiet Room
Country: United States
Posts: 10,920
vCash: 500
Don't show Kings fans this thread. That's all I have to say.

Doctor Drej is offline  
Old
08-04-2010, 10:25 AM
  #20
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsNotUseNames View Post
I appreciate your arguement, and agree with what you have to say about Victor Hedman. I have no doubt that he will improve next year due to an added year of experience and what we all hope will be a more capable coaching staff. However, some of your goaltending statistics are inaccurate.

Save Percentage
08 - 09 Kings: .906
09 - 10 Lightning: .904

Goals Against Average
08 - 09 Kings: 2.60
09 - 10 Lightning: 2.98
Oh good call, I put this together late and didn't think about that.

The Fear Boners is offline  
Old
08-19-2010, 07:51 PM
  #21
ultra63
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 854
vCash: 500
SY tremendous. Lawton OK.

On Power Play on XM nhl home ice today they rated the Bolts GM's as B-. They were kind to Lawton. They loved SY's moves to get rid of Mez and MSL's extension since he stated late in the NHL they felt he was younger in hockey years than 35. Moore they thought was great value and gave the Boucher hire an A+. Weak points were the signings of Ohlund and Kubina because of their ages and not keeping Foster for the Point.

ultra63 is offline  
Old
08-19-2010, 07:54 PM
  #22
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates
 
Going Back to Cally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St.Pete, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 28,746
vCash: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra63 View Post
On Power Play on XM nhl home ice today they rated the Bolts GM's as B-. They were kind to Lawton. They loved SY's moves to get rid of Mez and MSL's extension since he stated late in the NHL they felt he was younger in hockey years than 35. Moore they thought was great value and gave the Boucher hire an A+. Weak points were the signings of Ohlund and Kubina because of their ages and not keeping Foster for the Point.
Ohlund?

Going Back to Cally is offline  
Old
08-19-2010, 08:01 PM
  #23
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yzerman effect View Post
Ohlund?
Could it be Clark they were possibly referring to?

Felonious Python is online now  
Old
08-19-2010, 10:32 PM
  #24
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yzerman effect View Post
Ohlund?
Past 29? Over the hill.

The Fear Boners is offline  
Old
09-19-2010, 08:21 PM
  #25
md3k*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 172
vCash: 500
can someone please tell me what SFY stands for? Steve F_____ Yzerman?

md3k* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.