HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Questions About Raleigh and Center Ice

Old
08-10-2010, 10:15 AM
JWells16

vCash: 500
Questions About Raleigh and Center Ice

Hey guys... Pens fan coming here in peace.

I am relocating from Pittsburgh to Raleigh/Cary for work, and I was wondering about a few things.

1) How difficult is it to find tickets at RBC? How much usually are they for average seats? Are there any student promotions? The Pens have something called Student Rush, where you can get in for 20 dollars using a student ID. Is there anything like that?

2) Does anyone here have Center Ice? I was wondering how much it usually costs. It looks like Time Warner is the standard cable service in Raleigh... Do you usually go through them?

3) Nightlife/Entertainment... There's only so much that I can learn from the internet. What is there to do in Raleigh? I'll be living near NC State. Are there any decent bars or sports bars in the area?

Thanks in advance for your help. If I have any more questions I'll post them. I spent last week in Raleigh, and when I wasn't lost, I really enjoyed it. Hopefully those good times will continue.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:16 AM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

Every month there is a college night where you can get 30 dollar lower level seats and 15 dollar upper level, all you need is a valid college email or ID.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:22 AM
canesfan

Tickets are usually pretty easy to come by, especially early in the year. Weather is still nice in the area up until mid-November so people aren't quite ready to move inside, plus a lot of competition with ACC football and basketball. As the season goes on, depending on how they are doing and who they are playing, good seats might get harder to find but sell outs are rare. They usually have some kind of ticket special going on for upper deck tickets on the day of the game.

Don't know about Center Ice.

If you will be near State's campus, you will be close to downtown and the Glenwood South area. Lots of bars and restuarants in that area just a few blocks down Hillsborough street.

canesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:25 AM
UnPLEASED Anton

1) How difficult is it to find tickets at RBC? How much usually are they for average seats? Are there any student promotions? The Pens have something called Student Rush, where you can get in for 20 dollars using a student ID. Is there anything like that?

They usually have 10 dollar seating. Last year if you bought your tickets over a week in advance you could get 9.99 Upper Goal Zone seating. They are limited but if you don't get that, then you can often find tickets for 15-20 each on ebay/stubhub the day of the game. I have been shut out plenty of times and been forced to pay 25 or more to get in.

2) Does anyone here have Center Ice? I was wondering how much it usually costs. It looks like Time Warner is the standard cable service in Raleigh... Do you usually go through them?

I think TWC sucks. I had it for a few years before switching to satellite. If possible try getting satellite. It was cheaper for me, but not everyone can get it due to HOA restrictions. Center Ice is 160 bucks, but is usually split into 40 dollar installments.

UnPLEASED Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:33 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
1) Tickets are relatively easy to get unless you're looking to get them for a big game (Brindy jersey retirement night) or a playoff game.

2) I actually have GameCenter (online) rather then CenterIce but the price for it was right around $120 when I bought it last year.

3) The bar scene for Raleigh is constantly changing to be honest. There are some decent places to go downtown and if you're at all into the microbrew scene there are some great places in the area.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Guy

vCash: 200
as far bars and "stuff to do" reference this thread:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=628027

other than that, i'll pretty much echo what everyone else said. tickets can be found for very cheap if you're willing to look around or wait until the last minute for somebody trying to unload some for whatever they can get.

and time warner cable does suck, but i can verify that if you buy center ice through them, at least as of last year, it's $160 and they split it into 4 payments on your monthly bills

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4057
Don't listen to them, TWC is great!!! I know a couple of people who have satellite and I hate it, TWC's where it's at.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Guy

vCash: 200
^TWC employee exposed.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4057
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANES View Post
^TWC employee exposed.
LOL No sir... I just can't stand satellite, I have a couple of friends who have it and it's so unreliable.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 11:23 AM
JWells16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave View Post
Every month there is a college night where you can get 30 dollar lower level seats and 15 dollar upper level, all you need is a valid college email or ID.
Great... Good thing I still have my WVU ID

Old
08-10-2010, 11:24 AM
JWells16

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
Tickets are usually pretty easy to come by, especially early in the year. Weather is still nice in the area up until mid-November so people aren't quite ready to move inside, plus a lot of competition with ACC football and basketball. As the season goes on, depending on how they are doing and who they are playing, good seats might get harder to find but sell outs are rare. They usually have some kind of ticket special going on for upper deck tickets on the day of the game.

Don't know about Center Ice.

If you will be near State's campus, you will be close to downtown and the Glenwood South area. Lots of bars and restuarants in that area just a few blocks down Hillsborough street.
The hotel I was staying at last week was just off of Glenwood. It seemed like everything was always a very manageable 20 minutes away. There was also plenty of things to do there. Fantastic.

Old
08-10-2010, 11:25 AM
JWells16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaberlay View Post

They usually have 10 dollar seating. Last year if you bought your tickets over a week in advance you could get 9.99 Upper Goal Zone seating. They are limited but if you don't get that, then you can often find tickets for 15-20 each on ebay/stubhub the day of the game. I have been shut out plenty of times and been forced to pay 25 or more to get in.

I think TWC sucks. I had it for a few years before switching to satellite. If possible try getting satellite. It was cheaper for me, but not everyone can get it due to HOA restrictions. Center Ice is 160 bucks, but is usually split into 40 dollar installments.
10 dollar seating? I'm down. Even 20 bucks seems very reasonable to me. I can manage the 160 bucks, but I don't think I can get satellite at the apartment complex that I'll be living in.

Old
08-10-2010, 11:27 AM
JWells16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
1) Tickets are relatively easy to get unless you're looking to get them for a big game (Brindy jersey retirement night) or a playoff game.

2) I actually have GameCenter (online) rather then CenterIce but the price for it was right around $120 when I bought it last year.

3) The bar scene for Raleigh is constantly changing to be honest. There are some decent places to go downtown and if you're at all into the microbrew scene there are some great places in the area.
Any reason why you chose GameCenter rather than CI? And who doesn't love a good microbrew?

Old
08-10-2010, 11:27 AM
JWells16

Quote:
as far bars and "stuff to do" reference this thread:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=628027

other than that, i'll pretty much echo what everyone else said. tickets can be found for very cheap if you're willing to look around or wait until the last minute for somebody trying to unload some for whatever they can get.

and time warner cable does suck, but i can verify that if you buy center ice through them, at least as of last year, it's $160 and they split it into 4 payments on your monthly bills
Great I'll give this thread a look.

Old
08-10-2010, 11:30 AM
JWells16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgusta21 View Post
Don't listen to them, TWC is great!!! I know a couple of people who have satellite and I hate it, TWC's where it's at.
Quote:
^TWC employee exposed.

Quote:
LOL No sir... I just can't stand satellite, I have a couple of friends who have it and it's so unreliable.
Haha - Well other than satellite, are there any options?

Thanks for the quick replies guys. If I am able to go to games for a cheap price, you'll probably be hearing from me more often this upcoming season.

Old
08-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
TWC should be arrested for robbery... Stay as far away from TWC as you can get... eFFing criminals... DirecTV is where it's at... I only pay TWC for RoadRunner because I have no FIOS choices right now...

BTW, you are required to convert to a Hurricanes fan when they aren't playing the Pens

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

If you love microbrews, this area is great... Lots of brewery tours too...

What type of night life do you like? Clubs, or a nice bar to sit in, or what... Where are you planning on living when you get here?

Old
08-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWells16 View Post
10 dollar seating? I'm down. Even 20 bucks seems very reasonable to me. I can manage the 160 bucks, but I don't think I can get satellite at the apartment complex that I'll be living in.

My season tickets are $13 each, but I'm price frozen in from years ago, I think this is my last year or next year is at this price... But, the face value on those tickets are only $25....

If you buy at least a week ahead of time, you pay cheaper, and pay attention to promotions, like Harris Teeter night, college night, jackets for the homeless, etc... I also don't use all my tickets occasionally and will sell them for $13 or less a piece, usually $25 for two with a parking pass

Old
08-10-2010, 11:41 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Any reason why you chose GameCenter rather than CI? And who doesn't love a good microbrew?
I do a LOT of travel (for example I was at the WJCs in Saskatchewan this year, likely going again in 2013) so it helps being able to just bring my laptop with me and be able to watch the games when I'm at the hotel or what not. I'm also one of the guys that does a lot of officiating reviews over on the Sharks board so the archive is a big help with that, which is something that's not an option with CI.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 12:16 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I have Center Ice. Here are my thoughts.

- It cost about $160 last season best I can remember. I split it into multiple payments so it didn't hurt too much. IIRC, your best bet in terms of value is to either get it really early in the season (when the $/game ratio is low) or wait until about midway when they start offering end-of-season discounts.

- [edit:nevermind on the original point] They only offer two games at a time in HD.

- TWC customer service sucks, but not enough to make me switch to satellite. If I were you, I'd start with a TWC package first and then switch later if you're really dissatisfied. It's just easier that way.

In general, I'd say Center Ice is your best bet if you plan to really follow the Pens this year. I use it for Bruins games and it basically feels like having local TV coverage, which is awesome on a lot of levels.

Last edited by tarheelhockey: 08-10-2010 at 03:15 PM.
tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 12:26 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Great... Good thing I still have my WVU ID
I can't believe Dave didn't go nuts over this.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 12:48 PM
JWells16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
TWC should be arrested for robbery... Stay as far away from TWC as you can get... eFFing criminals... DirecTV is where it's at... I only pay TWC for RoadRunner because I have no FIOS choices right now...

BTW, you are required to convert to a Hurricanes fan when they aren't playing the Pens
Why is TWC so unanimously hated? Is it the price? It seemed reasonable on their website with cable/internet/phone adding up to about 95 bucks.

As for becoming a Canes fan... we'll see. Cam Ward is one of my favorite players.

Quote:
If you love microbrews, this area is great... Lots of brewery tours too...

What type of night life do you like? Clubs, or a nice bar to sit in, or what... Where are you planning on living when you get here?
I'm usually down for anything. Sometimes I just like sitting down, having a couple decent beers and actually being able to have a conversation. Some nights I do enjoy going to more club-like places because it's usually 10x easier to meet girls.

Right now, I'm looking at a few apartment complexes. My job is actually in Durham, but I don't want to live there. I'm looking at an apartment complex near Lake Lynn and one right on the Raleigh/Cary border (technically in Cary).

Quote:
My season tickets are $13 each, but I'm price frozen in from years ago, I think this is my last year or next year is at this price... But, the face value on those tickets are only $25....

If you buy at least a week ahead of time, you pay cheaper, and pay attention to promotions, like Harris Teeter night, college night, jackets for the homeless, etc... I also don't use all my tickets occasionally and will sell them for $13 or less a piece, usually $25 for two with a parking pass
I'm sure you'll be hearing from me then about tickets. Where are they?

Old
08-10-2010, 12:49 PM
JWells16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I have Center Ice. Here are my thoughts.

- It cost about $160 last season best I can remember. I split it into multiple payments so it didn't hurt too much. IIRC, your best bet in terms of value is to either get it really early in the season (when the $/game ratio is low) or wait until about midway when they start offering end-of-season discounts.

- They do NOT offer Center Ice in HD. This really pisses me off when I watch it on a bigger TV, but doesn't make much difference on a regular size screen.

- TWC customer service sucks, but not enough to make me switch to satellite. If I were you, I'd start with a TWC package first and then switch later if you're really dissatisfied. It's just easier that way.

In general, I'd say Center Ice is your best bet if you plan to really follow the Pens this year. I use it for Bruins games and it basically feels like having local TV coverage, which is awesome on a lot of levels.
Thank you very much... I don't have an HD TV, so I don't think I'll mind watching without it.

Old
08-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

If you work in Durham and want to live close but out of Durham... Look at apartments in Morrisville... I live in Morrisville, and love it... Well, just outside in Cary, but I lived in Morrisville for the last 5 years and now just live about a mile outside of it... What is your rent budget? I could recommend some nice places to look at if you are interested...

My tickets are upstairs behind the goal that the Canes shoot twice at... I get free club level and lower level tickets often from a friend that works for the Canes, so that's why my become available sometimes when my other friends can't take mine

Old
08-10-2010, 02:03 PM
JWells16

Well, I'm on a relatively small budget... I just graduated with my Master's in Secondary Education/English from WVU. A decent amount of my money is going to go towards paying off student loans and car payments. I'm trying to spend somewhere between 500-600 per month in rent. Right now, I'm looking at Hidden Oaks in Cary or The Reserve at Lake Lynn in NW Raleigh.