HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Questions About Raleigh and Center Ice

Old
08-10-2010, 02:05 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWells16 View Post
Why is TWC so unanimously hated? Is it the price? It seemed reasonable on their website with cable/internet/phone adding up to about 95 bucks.

As for becoming a Canes fan... we'll see. Cam Ward is one of my favorite players.
The prices are reasonable as long as you bundle. Honestly my negative interactions with them are usually on the customer service end, and semi-regular technical difficulties. I have heard that they re-use equipment to its breaking point, so that's probably got a lot to do with it. But again, all things considered it's just a normal cable company.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 02:22 PM
bleedgreen

for me the online gamecenter was the way to go. im in denver, and comcast offers at most about 20% of the games in hi def - they look like crap on my hi def tv. gamecenters dvr function alone makes it worth it for me. i work funny hours sometimes and i rarely am around at 5pm for the east coast games (im from CT, so i mostly watch the east other than the avs). you can start the game at any point, disallow the scoreboard to show the scores and ruin it. it shows you on the timeline where the goals are if you just want to skip to them. you can do picture in picure for two games, or multi screen up to four. when i am actually home i can hook it up to the tv and looks great. more games are in hi def than for comcast. only negative is local games get blacked out (not a problem for me and the canes, sucks for the avs). im going without cable, just internet and this option works great, only thing i miss out on is vs' hi def weekly games and the playoffs, which i watch at much lower quality on other sites or i go out to watch.

out here direct tv offers a much better CI experience, you get the options of either teams feed including either hi def feed. i have trouble with a two year contract and the actual price once your first year is over, not to mention having to get dsl. i dont even have a home phone line.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 02:46 PM
ncsu1

You can actually do 5 games with gamecenter -- they don't advertise it, but on the four game screen, you can open the PIP screen and show a fifth game.

i had absolutely no problems with gamecenter and loved it last season.

and TWC does offer center ice in HD, just not every game. if you want all the games in HD get DirecTV. TWC now has two HD channels for center ice.

and yes, please convert to canes fan if they aren't playing the pens (completely converting is cool too). The Hurricanes would have ZERO problems with making money/attendance if all the damn hockey fans who relocate here would convert partially or totally.

ncsu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 03:11 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
I can't believe Dave didn't go nuts over this.
I'm slipping in my old ag...er... late 20s

Yeah, I did Music Education at WVU, was in the Pride of West Virginia for 4 years.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 03:14 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsu1 View Post
and TWC does offer center ice in HD, just not every game. if you want all the games in HD get DirecTV. TWC now has two HD channels for center ice.
You're right, I was thinking of NHL Network which is not available in HD.

They DO offer two Center Ice HD channels which is quite nice. Wish they could do them all but that seems to be in the forseeable future as they just added the second channel a few months ago.

Old
08-10-2010, 04:37 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
3) Nightlife/Entertainment... There's only so much that I can learn from the internet. What is there to do in Raleigh? I'll be living near NC State. Are there any decent bars or sports bars in the area?

Thanks in advance for your help. If I have any more questions I'll post them. I spent last week in Raleigh, and when I wasn't lost, I really enjoyed it. Hopefully those good times will continue.
As a fan with split loyalties between the Pens (by birth) and the Canes (by being a Raleighite and falling in love after seeing them level one mightily impressive stomping upon the Flyers the first year I moved up here, let me say welcome. As much as you'll try not to like the Hurricanes, becoming a Caniac is infectious and I count myself as a loyal fan (except when a certain black and gold bunch roll into town and I have an excuse to trot out my Lemieux jersey). The link that CANES provided is quite useful, but allow me to add an addendum if you're also a Steelers fan. I'm not a huge fan of the place, but Sammy's Tap & Grill is THE Steelers bar in the NC State area. Hope you enjoy your time down here! Don't know much about either of the places you're apartment hunting at - I've run the trails at Lake Lynn and have passed the Reserve, I think. You may want to look at places in N. Raleigh off of I-540 as well. Let me know if you're interested in any recommendations there - commuting to Durham on 540 shouldn't be a huge problem (then again my commute is to the Crabtree area so what do I know?)

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 04:39 PM
JWells16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I'm slipping in my old ag...er... late 20s

Yeah, I did Music Education at WVU, was in the Pride of West Virginia for 4 years.
Haha - Well a buddy of mine just graduated from WVU as well and currently goes to grad school at NC State. We plan on hitting up some games if you would like to join.

Thanks for all of the responses guys. From what I have seen in my short time in Raleigh, the people have been great. Nice to know this board is no different.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 05:04 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Well, I'm on a relatively small budget... I just graduated with my Master's in Secondary Education/English from WVU. A decent amount of my money is going to go towards paying off student loans and car payments. I'm trying to spend somewhere between 500-600 per month in rent. Right now, I'm looking at Hidden Oaks in Cary or The Reserve at Lake Lynn in NW Raleigh.
I'd stay in the NW Raleigh area

Lived in Cary and now Raleigh, and I love Raleigh. I'm actually not far from the Lake Lynn area and you are just so close to everything. I work in RTP, which is in Durham and my commute is a breeze. About a 10-15 minute drive down to Glenwood South, which I think you will be spending alot of time down there

ETA: TimeWarner does suck. Their customer service is crappy and i'm on my like 10th DVR because their DVRs suck big time. They always need to be rebooted.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 05:12 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Haha - Well a buddy of mine just graduated from WVU as well and currently goes to grad school at NC State. We plan on hitting up some games if you would like to join.

Thanks for all of the responses guys. From what I have seen in my short time in Raleigh, the people have been great. Nice to know this board is no different.
Yeah I was definitely thinking about trips up for the Maryland and Cincy games as is. But the one I REALLY want to get to is next year when we play LSU.

Old
08-10-2010, 07:26 PM
CioCio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post

In general, I'd say Center Ice is your best bet if you plan to really follow the Pens this year. I use it for Bruins games and it basically feels like having local TV coverage, which is awesome on a lot of levels.
Lucky you, especially since, in my area of coverage at least, it seemed that the only games you could ever catch in HD were Kings, Wild, and Bruins match-ups.

CioCio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I'd Rather live in Cary... Hidden Oaks is about 2 miles from my place... It's older, just like the Lake Lynn one too, so with older and cheap you always get a little bit of unwanted things, but nothing too bad at either... Hidden Oaks is right next to a bunch of restaurants and grocery stores too

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 08:15 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Yeah I was definitely thinking about trips up for the Maryland and Cincy games as is. But the one I REALLY want to get to is next year when we play LSU.
You guys should defintely go see the 2 time defending Big East Champions. Its probably the closest you will get to a Big East champion as long as Stewie is there. I kid I kid. I had a run in with a WVU fan at a gas station in Cary 2 weekends ago, it did not go well despite the fact that i tried to mind my own business. If it was you, i apologize for the teeth, GED, and mother comments.

Go Cats!!!
UC Class of '02

Last edited by faulkingdynamic: 08-11-2010 at 12:12 PM.
faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 09:00 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CioCio View Post
Lucky you, especially since, in my area of coverage at least, it seemed that the only games you could ever catch in HD were Kings, Wild, and Bruins match-ups.
You know, I thought it seemed like they showed a lot of Bruins games but chalked it up to my imagination. I wonder who makes that decision?

Old
08-11-2010, 04:53 PM
ncsu1

InDemand, I think. They seem to LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE NESN for whatever reason.

I felt like night in and night out it was almost always Boston or Pittsburgh on the 7pm HD game.

ncsu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I'll be there to watch Russell Wilson destroy the Bearcats

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 09:09 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
You guys should defintely go see the 2 time defending Big East Champions. Its probably the closest you will get to a Big East champion as long as Stewie is there. I kid I kid. I had a run in with a WVU fan at a gas station in Cary 2 weekends ago, it did not go well despite the fact that i tried to mind my own business. If it was you, i apologize for the teeth, GED, and mother comments.

Go Cats!!!
UC Class of '02
Wasn't me, I can say that much. I don't start **** with anyone, and generally I'll either ignore someone or have a decent talk with them with minimal trash talking.

Old
08-12-2010, 07:07 PM
WWAD

Just a quick note that, while tickets to Hurricanes games are usually easy to get, tickets for Pens games generally sell out or come close to selling out. This area is full up of Pittsburgh natives, and they usually come out in big numbers for the games here.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 03:48 PM
wisssh

Send a message via Yahoo to wisssh
Look @ the Brier Creek area or around Alexander Drive. In the triangle you want to live as close to your job as possible....traffic suxs.

wisssh is offline   Reply With Quote