International Football Thread

Old
09-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
Wiese is pretty clearly the 2nd Best German Keeper imo (until Adler returns). I'm waiting for Zieler etc to establish themselves, then I will See him ahead of Wiese.
Don't know, really. I agree about Adler, but to be honest, I'd rather see ter Stegen, Trapp, Zieler up there instead of Wiese today rather than tomorrow. Not a fan of Wiese, at all, especially when he leaves the line.

Quote:
As for rethy, sure he's Bad, but then again the others aren't much better. The only good One is Fuss imo, and Tom Bartels is decent. I cant stand anyone from ARD.
Totally agree about Fuss, he's one of the few bright spots we have. Used to be really likeReif, but age seems to have caught up with him. Bartels is ok with me, as well, and a few others with Sky, but ARD/ZDF is just sickening. To me personally, I hate hearing Rethy even moreso than Simon and the rest of the bunch. He just gives me the impression of a guy making a damn good living off calling games without ever having kicked a ball.

Quote:
I don't Know where you saw the dive though, in my opinion Müller was fouled.
He sure was, no question. I meant the situation that ended up being the 1-0 for Poland. The Polish striker saw Wiese coming and patheticly dove into him. Probably should have been a free kick for Germany instead of the Poland lead, and Rethy never paid attention to that scene entirely and kept talking about how it would have been a penalty.

Quote:
Why on Earth cant Germany find a competent fullback to complement lahm. Träsch really Lives up to His Name, schmelzer is a catastrophe internationally. Looks like howedes will have to Be relied Upon As RB, which is not a good thing for a Team that wants to compete for the title.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
No Weidenfeller still? Didn't see the game but I didn't like Trasch at RB based on the Brazil game. I don't understand the refusal to play an actual RB at RB. It's always either Boateng or Lahm or Howedes last time or someone. Either play Beck there with Lahm at LB or play Lahm at RB with Schmelzer on the left.
Good question, and I really don't know. I don't dislike Träsch as a player, generally, but he hasn't shown anything on the national team. Schmelzer just is in over his head, imo. Höwedes on the right still seems to be the best solution for now, but yeah, I can't be sold on that. I am kind of surprised to not see Beck giving more of a shot, as well, right now. Not too happy with the idea of sending Badstuber/Boateng to the wing, either, since they are stronger down the middle.

Let's just hope a competent full back comes out of nowhere - like pretty much the rest of this team. I remember ten years back when we watched guys like Ramelow on the team and had to hand out passports like flyers to everyone being able to run three meters straight... (Yes, I'm talking about you, Paolo Rink and Sean Dundee.)

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 02:44 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Yeah, that was terrible... Müller really saved our - and most of all, Tim Wiese's - lower backs. How Wiese remains on our national team is a miracle to me, he's simply an idiot, and that extends beyond goaltending, unfortunately.

I can't be as angry with the team as I am with the commentary on German TV. Bela Rety is probably the worst announcer in the entire country. It's just unreal. He doesn't realize a player being sent off, he does not see dives, and instead sees dives in clear-cut fouls. He asks for yellow cards where you can argue a free kick. And he has absolutely zero sense for what is a tough play to make and what not. Just beyond pathetic.
I think Sippel would probably be in the German team by now if he didn't have a screw loose in his head. He was outstanding till his illness last year then got knocked off by Trapp.

I'd rather see young keepers get given a go, there are plenty of keepers who have been outstanding in the league the last year or two that deserve call ups. I don't see why Wiese keeps getting called up.

Also on the full back thing, I'd like to see Konstantin Rausch get given a go, of course that's if he wants to play for Germany, I think he's going to be a really good full back in years to come.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 07:25 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
I think Sippel would probably be in the German team by now if he didn't have a screw loose in his head. He was outstanding till his illness last year then got knocked off by Trapp.
Not impossible. I always thought his height would end up holding him back to some degree, though.

Quote:
I'd rather see young keepers get given a go, there are plenty of keepers who have been outstanding in the league the last year or two that deserve call ups. I don't see why Wiese keeps getting called up.
Yeah, pretty much exactly the way I see it.

Quote:
Also on the full back thing, I'd like to see Konstantin Rausch get given a go, of course that's if he wants to play for Germany, I think he's going to be a really good full back in years to come.
Interesting, haven't really focused on Rausch too much. When I think Hannover, (besides Zieler) I always end up wondering how Schmiedebach will end up. Of the youngsters that broke out last year, he and Nuremberg's Phillip Wollscheid are two of my favourites. Too bad the latter is another center back. If he wasn't he would most likely have gotten a call, already. He could knock on the door for the team soon, and given the depth there that's quite impressive.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 06:43 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Lol jealous of United. Good times. Shaky keeper.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Evilo

So France's last two games, including a possible "group final" against Bosnia will be without Benzema, Ribery, Sagna and Matuidi.

Evilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:20 PM
RonTugnutt
Kesler is washed up

vCash: 407
Aguero makes a miraculous recovery from his groin injury to join Argentina?

RonTugnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
So France's last two games, including a possible "group final" against Bosnia will be without Benzema, Ribery, Sagna and Matuidi.
If BiH play like they did in Sarajevo against France, you guys could dress your C line-up and still win. Really looking forward to the game either way. A draw would be huge for us in Paris.

Edonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Mundy
Crikey

Some photos of the English U21 team practicing at the worst national stadium in Europe here for anyone who's interested.

Mundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:47 PM
SonOfGom

Venezuela just beat Argentina for the first time in world cup qualifiers.

Edit: Make that, first win ever in an official match.

Last edited by SonOfGom: 10-11-2011 at 10:57 PM.
SonOfGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfGom View Post
Venezuela just beat Argentina for the first time in world cup qualifiers.

Edit: Make that, first win ever in an official match.
Yeah, Argentina were embarssingly bad in the 2nd half. Sabella needs to give Pastore a chance, 5 minutes a game isn't going to cut it.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:48 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

congratulations to Venezuela, I love upsets...so much for Messi being compared to Pele and Maradona...sigh

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Suarez is so good

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Haha yeah. Doesn't get a whole lot better than 4 goals.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 11:18 PM
HajdukSplit

North Korea is the first of the 32 nations from the 2010 World Cup to fail to qualify for 2014 as they failed to finish in the top 2 in a group consisting of Japan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan

Some interesting results in South America: Argentina continue to struggle as they were held to a draw at home to Bolivia. Big win for Uruguay, Paraguay beat Ecuador and Venezuela managed to draw Colombia away from home.

Uruguay top the qualification group after 3 matchdays while the fight for 4th and 5th place should be extremely tight. Still early days, but Chile are second from bottom and have conceded 10 goals in 3 matches

African qualifications for the 2014 World Cup also began today but its mostly the 'minnows' playing in a pre-qualifying knockout

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 01:09 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit View Post
North Korea is the first of the 32 nations from the 2010 World Cup to fail to qualify for 2014 as they failed to finish in the top 2 in a group consisting of Japan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan

Some interesting results in South America: Argentina continue to struggle as they were held to a draw at home to Bolivia. Big win for Uruguay, Paraguay beat Ecuador and Venezuela managed to draw Colombia away from home.

Uruguay top the qualification group after 3 matchdays while the fight for 4th and 5th place should be extremely tight. Still early days, but Chile are second from bottom and have conceded 10 goals in 3 matches

African qualifications for the 2014 World Cup also began today but its mostly the 'minnows' playing in a pre-qualifying knockout
That's freakin understatement. The defense is a joke. Burdisso is a walking red card and Demichelis is train wreck. Pastore is not a striker, so why play him there(even tho he wasn't that bad)?

I really hope Sabella brings up some youth players, they can't be worse.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 02:11 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Ryad Boudebouz with the game winning goal vs Tunisia

Holy crap, Algeria is a much better team under Vahid Halillodzic

I wish we was our coach during the 2010 WC

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 07:16 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Wow Cameroon players

Refusing to play a friendly match because they didnt get paid

As a result, the match has been cancelled

Shameful, especially with the money Eto is making

Old
11-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Why should they play for free? There are players on that national team who certainly aren't rich, and the best way to acknowledge that they aren't being paid is for all of them to say they aren't going out there. There's a guy in the USL who plays for Cameroon, anyone really think he could afford to play a game and risk ruining his career for free?

Old
11-14-2011, 08:29 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 50
Shameful, yes. But for Cameroon, not the players.

GirouxGiroux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 08:34 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Why should they play for free? There are players on that national team who certainly aren't rich, and the best way to acknowledge that they aren't being paid is for all of them to say they aren't going out there. There's a guy in the USL who plays for Cameroon, anyone really think he could afford to play a game and risk ruining his career for free?
Well if he gets injured, he can always get a compensation

Old
11-15-2011, 01:17 AM
Evilo

No offense LITN, but I think you have missed the meaning of playing for your NT.
Tradtionally in football, it's the ultimate prize.
Of course players should play for free. In fact, being recognized as an international player gives more money in contract negociations, so you could say they're being paid regardless.

Unfortunately, from being paid a little money for being there it is now an obvious reward. These days you are ALWAYS paid for playing for your NT. That hasn't always been the case, but today's football is really ill.

Plenty of guys would play for free. Djibril Cissé comes to mind for France. OTOH, plenty of today's footballers would never step foot in a school for free or if they do, they expect thousands of journalists to take note so that they get rewards through commercial contracts.

Old
11-15-2011, 02:11 AM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
I understand definitely, but when it comes to a guy on a miniscule salary (his name is Mbuta), it's a little hard to simply accept nothing when NT's have gotten into a habit of paying players. The Cameroon FA has also been canceling friendlies regularly on hardly any notice. I understand both sides of this one. If the Cameroon FA has been paying players and then all of a sudden said forget it, especially for the guys who aren't on a salary like Eto'o for example, I'd be pretty frustrated if it was me.

Old
11-15-2011, 03:58 AM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I understand definitely, but when it comes to a guy on a miniscule salary (his name is Mbuta), it's a little hard to simply accept nothing when NT's have gotten into a habit of paying players. The Cameroon FA has also been canceling friendlies regularly on hardly any notice. I understand both sides of this one. If the Cameroon FA has been paying players and then all of a sudden said forget it, especially for the guys who aren't on a salary like Eto'o for example, I'd be pretty frustrated if it was me.
It doesn't matter if you're rich or not. It's about representing your country.
Contrary to what you wrote guys who make a boatload of money are the ones who cry the most in these situations. Players who are more modest are proud to play for their country. Rich superstars most of the time want to play with money involved.

Old
11-15-2011, 04:06 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 50
This seems to be about more than money.

I just read something that said Cameroon was going to pay, but the players didn't show anyway. Something else is going on.

GirouxGiroux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 04:08 AM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

It's always about the money. Any chick will confirm this...

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote