HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Soccer
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

International Football Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-04-2010, 10:55 PM
  #76
MS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 12,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
The lineup for the Canada friendly:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/document...canMNT_PER.pdf

I'm surprised TFC is letting their Canadian internationals play for the game, but there you go. A pretty decent lineup against Peru, actually. Hopefully they'll put in a good performance.
2-0 loss. Didn't play terribly against a pretty good squad (#101 vs. #39 in the world) but again no finish at all.

This is probably the lowest ebb I've ever seen for Canada. In the last 14 months, in 7 international matches, we've scored 1 goal. 0-6-1 over that stretch.

Biggest priority in the next 2 years before 2014 WC qualifying starts is to try and sort out some sort of formation to generate offense, and find a striker who can be somewhat consistent. Otherwise we won't even put up a fight.

Jackson has shown some promise in England and seems like the best hope, but so far the results just aren't there. The 3 forwards we dressed today have something like a combined 5 goals in 70 appearances for the national team. It isn't just their fault because the service is terrible, but cripes that's an awful record.

Never thought I'd long for the days of Corrazin and Peschosolido.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 11:02 PM
  #77
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Algeria
Posts: 14,899
vCash: 500
Saadane resigned !!!!!!!!!!!!!

woohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo


McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 11:29 PM
  #78
KingLB
Registered User
 
KingLB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
2-0 loss. Didn't play terribly against a pretty good squad (#101 vs. #39 in the world) but again no finish at all.

This is probably the lowest ebb I've ever seen for Canada. In the last 14 months, in 7 international matches, we've scored 1 goal. 0-6-1 over that stretch.

Biggest priority in the next 2 years before 2014 WC qualifying starts is to try and sort out some sort of formation to generate offense, and find a striker who can be somewhat consistent. Otherwise we won't even put up a fight.

Jackson has shown some promise in England and seems like the best hope, but so far the results just aren't there. The 3 forwards we dressed today have something like a combined 5 goals in 70 appearances for the national team. It isn't just their fault because the service is terrible, but cripes that's an awful record.

Never thought I'd long for the days of Corrazin and Peschosolido.
And sadly for Canada, if you read the tea leafs it seems like, striker, Teal Bunbury (son of a former Canadian international) is waiting for a call up to the US. Though he isn't ready yet, I could see him being a starter for Canada within a year or 2.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 11:53 PM
  #79
The Moose
Registered User
 
The Moose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
France's qualification is now going to be difficult. They could easily lose their 5th game in a row, which I believe would be a national team record.
I think France is still the heavy favourite of the group. Belarus was an accident and I just don't see any other team posing a serious threat. I would be shocked if they lost to BH on Tuesday. Normally Romania should take advantage of France's missteps but they are a team in shambles.

The Moose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 12:07 AM
  #80
The Russian General
Go Habs Go
 
The Russian General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MTL
Posts: 12,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
2-0 loss. Didn't play terribly against a pretty good squad (#101 vs. #39 in the world) but again no finish at all.

This is probably the lowest ebb I've ever seen for Canada. In the last 14 months, in 7 international matches, we've scored 1 goal. 0-6-1 over that stretch.

Biggest priority in the next 2 years before 2014 WC qualifying starts is to try and sort out some sort of formation to generate offense, and find a striker who can be somewhat consistent. Otherwise we won't even put up a fight.

Jackson has shown some promise in England and seems like the best hope, but so far the results just aren't there. The 3 forwards we dressed today have something like a combined 5 goals in 70 appearances for the national team. It isn't just their fault because the service is terrible, but cripes that's an awful record.

Never thought I'd long for the days of Corrazin and Peschosolido.
I don't understand why he didn't call Gerba. He is on form and has scored at an impressive rate for Canada.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 02:09 AM
  #81
Suiteness
Registered User
 
Suiteness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Time to Rebuild
Posts: 6,636
vCash: 500
I feel really bad for Hart, he has nothing, absolutely nothing, to work with. There's not anything close to a world class talent on that team.

Soccer in Canada is a hobby, a kindergarten to keep kids busy in the summer. As long as we have this mentality in this country towards the sport, we'll never improve.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 05:37 AM
  #82
MS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 12,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
And sadly for Canada, if you read the tea leafs it seems like, striker, Teal Bunbury (son of a former Canadian international) is waiting for a call up to the US. Though he isn't ready yet, I could see him being a starter for Canada within a year or 2.
Ah, Bunbury. Loved Vic Rauter calling his goals.

I'm not even surprised when this happens anymore, although thinking about the Begovic situation still pisses me off. The guy is the best goaltending prospect the country has produced in ages, you know he has the option of playing for Bosnia, and you never stick him in for a half of action during his several callups to cement his position? And of course then lose him.

Although I suppose some 'good news' would be that Jonathan de Guzman's career has kind of stalled in Europe due to injuries and his getting a callup to the Dutch team seems less likely than it used to, so maybe he comes back into the picture at some point.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
I don't understand why he didn't call Gerba. He is on form and has scored at an impressive rate for Canada.
Fair call. Anything other than Rob Friend looks great at this point. I know Gerba's domestic has been spotty (at best) but as long as he keeps scoring internationally, who cares?

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 11:02 AM
  #83
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I'm piggy-backing late on this, but there's no way Benzema can be considered a world-class player.

I mean, that season he had last year was horrendous and he's not off to a great start so far with Mourinho which is its own indictment considering the effect Mourinho's had on guys like Ibra, Drogba, Milito, etc. who were all very talented, but had some really outstanding, career years for him.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 11:23 AM
  #84
Evilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 27,194
vCash: 500
Yeah you're right Flyhigh.
That's why Van Persie is crap, Kaka also.
And I'm sure you were telling people Robben and Sneijder weren't world class players a year ago.

Evilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 11:41 AM
  #85
theaub
Lets go Hawks!
 
theaub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Markham, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,668
vCash: 500
With the talent Canada has, I don't see how you can't call a poacher like Gerba. Friend may be twice the striker that Gerba is on a team that provides good service, but we don't do that at all.

Hopefully he gets called up for Honduras...if we lose to the friggin D team that Honduras throws out there we're truly screwed.

theaub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 12:16 PM
  #86
Suiteness
Registered User
 
Suiteness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Time to Rebuild
Posts: 6,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Yeah you're right Flyhigh.
That's why Van Persie is crap, Kaka also.
And I'm sure you were telling people Robben and Sneijder weren't world class players a year ago.
Well, Van Persie IS crap. Kaka should not even be mentionned in this discussion, he's been a top 5 player in the world since 2004. He had a bad year. Robben has played at a high level for years also. we simply cannot say the same for Benzema.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 12:21 PM
  #87
Evilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 27,194
vCash: 500
Yeah? Benzema played at a VERY high level for two years before moving to Real, getting accustomed to a new language/country/football style while being injured.

So where do you draw the line? 2 years is not enough, but 3 is?
ORLY?

Evilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 12:25 PM
  #88
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,006
vCash: 500
Only 10,000 fans at BMO Field.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 12:35 PM
  #89
Suiteness
Registered User
 
Suiteness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Time to Rebuild
Posts: 6,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Yeah? Benzema played at a VERY high level for two years before moving to Real, getting accustomed to a new language/country/football style while being injured.

So where do you draw the line? 2 years is not enough, but 3 is?
ORLY?
2 great seasons in a mid-tier league = Greatness?

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 01:06 PM
  #90
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 21,897
vCash: 500
I think he has world class abilities. But so far, he has been a bust at Real. From the rumblings so far at the start of the season, that hasn't changed much now either.

However, showing those world class abilities when you're the big fish in a smaller pond is not the same as pushing through a difficult lineup to crack, and a difficult town to do well in. Even if he doesn't succeed there (and I'm not sure it's time to write him off yet) that doesn't take away that he's a pretty good striker, but I think it would be more a knock on his maturity and makeup, more so than any particular abilities. He also obviously got some poor advice and probably picked the wrong move too soon. Hindsight is 20/20, but I think a smaller jump to a EPL team would have fit him better than moving to Real on the year they broke the bank.

I also don't know that he figured Higuain would keep playing so well, and improve so much. I think he figured he would win that spot from the start, and that hasn't happened so much. He has played a ton of matches, but he hasn't caught the form he had in France.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 02:41 PM
  #91
Edonator
The Mightiest Club
 
Edonator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vancouver
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 3,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
I think France is still the heavy favourite of the group. Belarus was an accident and I just don't see any other team posing a serious threat. I would be shocked if they lost to BH on Tuesday. Normally Romania should take advantage of France's missteps but they are a team in shambles.
BIH have gotten drastically better in the last little bit, and while it was Luxembourg, they dominated from the first minute to the 90th in their first qualifier. If it wasn't for a completely different approach against Portugal in that playoff, BIH would've made it to the World Cup. They did beat out Belgium and Turkey after all.

Either way, if France lose on Tuesday, the group is Bosnia's. Our attack is as good as it's been since I can remember. Their past strategy of playing long ball after long ball against powerhouses seems like it's ended with Blazevic gone and with a chance to prove their talent against France, I think it's going to end with a win.

Edonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 03:53 PM
  #92
The Russian General
Go Habs Go
 
The Russian General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MTL
Posts: 12,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Fair call. Anything other than Rob Friend looks great at this point. I know Gerba's domestic has been spotty (at best) but as long as he keeps scoring internationally, who cares?
Indeed. Friend and De Ro are **** with Canada.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 04:16 PM
  #93
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Yeah you're right Flyhigh.
That's why Van Persie is crap, Kaka also.
And I'm sure you were telling people Robben and Sneijder weren't world class players a year ago.
I think you have to draw the line between world-class talent and world-class player. Van Persie is definitely a world-class talent, but I can't call him a world-class player because he's not durable and you need durability to be a world-class player.

Kaka is still a top-class player. He was phenomenal for a number of years at Milan and I thought he did decently at Madrid considering he was out of position most of the time. Can't say the same for Benzema who was given every chance to succeed last year and just didn't get it done.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 04:21 PM
  #94
Evilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 27,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
2 great seasons in a mid-tier league = Greatness?
Yeah, he's not EPL proven.

So typical.

Evilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 04:22 PM
  #95
Evilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 27,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by great_one98 View Post
Either way, if France lose on Tuesday, the group is Bosnia's. Our attack is as good as it's been since I can remember. Their past strategy of playing long ball after long ball against powerhouses seems like it's ended with Blazevic gone and with a chance to prove their talent against France, I think it's going to end with a win.
I expect a Bosnia win or maybe a draw. No way France wins right now.

Evilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 04:27 PM
  #96
Evilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 27,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I think you have to draw the line between world-class talent and world-class player. Van Persie is definitely a world-class talent, but I can't call him a world-class player because he's not durable and you need durability to be a world-class player.

Kaka is still a top-class player. He was phenomenal for a number of years at Milan and I thought he did decently at Madrid considering he was out of position most of the time. Can't say the same for Benzema who was given every chance to succeed last year and just didn't get it done.
Kaka is top class and yet he had an even worse season. And he had a poor one before that too.
Kaka was a top player 3 or 4 years ago. Benzema was a highlight reel for two years, and that was only a year ago.

And about the league stuff, Benzema scored 12 goals in 19 Champions' League games between age 18 and 22. Does that count as "poor" competition?


He scored more goals at age 21 in Ligue 1 than Drogba ever scored at any age.
But yeah, I'm sure I'll hear how Drogba became a good player only when he signed that Chelsea contract.

Well, no, he was good before, it took him a while to get used to a new environment, just like Benzema.

Evilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 06:27 PM
  #97
Jussi
Dat Times Square
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 44,423
vCash: 500
I'm thinking we need a separate thread for the Euro 2012 Qualification matches and keep this for other games. Maybe even start another thread where you can argue about Benzema/Kaka/whoever.

Edit: just because you gits are too lazy to do something about it, I started one for the latter myself: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=816411


Last edited by Jussi: 09-05-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 07:38 PM
  #98
les Habs
Registered User
 
les Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Country: United States
Posts: 9,230
vCash: 500
Wow. Looks like trouble in paradise. Anyway, Villa has now equalled Raul's goalscoring record for Spain and I think he did it in about 40 less matches. IMO he's been really underrated the past how many years, but then I'd say the likes of him Forlan and Milito all have been underrated in the past few years. Probably has a lot to do with the clubs they played for.

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 12:14 AM
  #99
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Evilo, I distinctly remember you arguing that Drogba's first 2 seasons in England were top class a few years ago (I vehemently disagreed with you which is why I remember), but now you're saying he struggled like Benzema did?

You never had a ton of credibility on topics like this to begin with, and I think you just lost some more. You'll clearly just say anything to try to prove your point.

EDIT: Saying Kaka was worse than Benzema considering he was played out of position, had injury trouble, and still put up 8 goals and 6 assists is also kind of dumb.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 01:33 AM
  #100
Evilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 27,194
vCash: 500
read the other thread, I'm done with this.

Evilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.