Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Soccer
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

International Football Thread

Old
09-08-2010, 02:38 PM
SenorDingDong

vCash: 500

Cassano keeps proving Lippi the fool for not picking him. Italy 5 - 0 Faroe Islands, biggest margin they have won by since 2003.

SenorDingDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 07:25 PM
*Injektilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
If they could throw out a qualifying lineup of

-----------------Hirschfeld------------------
Straith---Attakora---McKenna---Klukowski
-------------------JDG--------------------
----------Hutchinson---JDG II---------------
Hoilett----------------------------Simpson
--------------------Friend--------------------

With Jackson, Bunbury, Hume, de Jong, Johnson, De Ro, Jakovic etc on the bench, they'd be a pretty competitive CONCACAF team.
I'd put Al-Shabani in goal over Hirschfeld, but other than that, no complaints.

*Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 10:47 PM
The Man in White

vCash: 250
Quote:

With Jackson, Bunbury, Hume, de Jong, Johnson, De Ro, Jakovic etc on the bench, they'd be a pretty competitive CONCACAF team.
Very nice. Though I prefer Jackson starting up top over Friend. Still...very good lineup.

The Man in White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 02:14 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Agents View Post
Very nice. Though I prefer Jackson starting up top over Friend. Still...very good lineup.
If Friend can get good service, he's a better out-and-out striker than Jackson.

He's not anywhere near world-class but in CONCACAF QF his height and even average finishing ability will be enough to cause problems for defenders - if he gets good service.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 04:39 AM
MS

Quote:

Yeah, it really doesn't look too bad on paper with all hands on deck if we can get Hoilett and especially de Guzman in there.

Jaime Peters has been converted to right back by Roy Keane at Ipswich and is earning rave reviews there. Really looking forward to seeing how he continues to develop - obviously as a converted winger he would bring a great attacking skillset from the back end, something which the national team could sorely use. He's only 23 and the way Ipswich is looking this year he could be in the Premiership next season.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Suiteness

Don't know where I should put this so let's try it here. Think the goalie will ever live this down?

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

he has to be the sickest man in futbol!

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 02:13 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
I was away for the weekend and couldn't see either friendly, but from what I've read this is as sorry a situation as I've ever seen Canada. I mean, I thought they hit the bottom of the barrel in the last WCQ, but I think they're finding a whole new level this go-around.

It has become so bad that I think CONCACAF should re-think providing Canada with automatic byes to the GC and WCQ preliminaries.

And BTW, what the hell is up with only 10,000 fans showing up to the friendly against Peru? TFC sells out regularly but people can't be bothered to go watch the national team? It just adds to what's wrong in this country when it comes to soccer.
Its the same situation at Sapputo in Montreal. They draw very well for the Impact games but cant draw at all for a national friendly.

What other countries care more about their local teams than the national one? Having said that, you can understand the fans being turned off by the incompetent CSA.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 03:06 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post

Cassano keeps proving Lippi the fool for not picking him. Italy 5 - 0 Faroe Islands, biggest margin they have won by since 2003.
Faroe Islands.....

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Epictetus
Create yourself.

vCash: 50
I know haha

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 04:17 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I have to say, I think the Xavi love goes a little bit over the top.

For example, in his Ballon d'Or article (bit early right?), Grant Wahl points out that Sneijder only scored 5 league goals for Inter, but then says that Xavi only scored 4, but it didn't matter.

There seems to be this misconception of Xavi as a CM, but really, he's essentially a guy who sits in the middle of midfield and passes (which he does better than anyone else), but not much else. I think of him as more of an AM (like Sneijder), if anything, Sneijder does more defensive work than Xavi.

I also think (sticking with Wahl's article) that choosing Iniesta over Drogba is poor. Drogba has had an unbelievable year in 2010, first carrying Chelsea to the title (29 goals and 10 assists!) and now 4 goals and 4 assists in 4 games so far this year. I know he didn't play on a WC winner, but ultimately, how much can that count against you?

I mean, he seems to be disqualifying Messi just because Messi didn't play for a WC winner, but it's not Messi's fault his coach was a ******. How about focusing on the part where Messi has essentially destroyed Europe for 2 years running and shows no signs of stopping?

EDIT: I should add that because I can be biased, I want to say this. I wouldn't sleep on Fabregas for this. Not to win it, but just to be in the top 6 or 7. Has had a decent 2010 so far, won a WC, and he has looked ridiculously good in 10-11. He legitimately could have had 5 assists in the Bolton game (I counted), and had at least 2 goals and an assist tonight (only saw the last goal, which he assisted on). I think that if he stays healthy, he could have a huge, huge year. Pity that RvP/Walcott got injured, Arsenal could have hit some huge goal totals against some smaller clubs.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 01:46 AM
Sampe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

For example, in his Ballon d'Or article (bit early right?), Grant Wahl points out that Sneijder only scored 5 league goals for Inter, but then says that Xavi only scored 4, but it didn't matter.

There seems to be this misconception of Xavi as a CM, but really, he's essentially a guy who sits in the middle of midfield and passes (which he does better than anyone else), but not much else. I think of him as more of an AM (like Sneijder), if anything, Sneijder does more defensive work than Xavi.

I also think (sticking with Wahl's article) that choosing Iniesta over Drogba is poor. Drogba has had an unbelievable year in 2010, first carrying Chelsea to the title (29 goals and 10 assists!) and now 4 goals and 4 assists in 4 games so far this year. I know he didn't play on a WC winner, but ultimately, how much can that count against you?

I mean, he seems to be disqualifying Messi just because Messi didn't play for a WC winner, but it's not Messi's fault his coach was a ******. How about focusing on the part where Messi has essentially destroyed Europe for 2 years running and shows no signs of stopping?

EDIT: I should add that because I can be biased, I want to say this. I wouldn't sleep on Fabregas for this. Not to win it, but just to be in the top 6 or 7. Has had a decent 2010 so far, won a WC, and he has looked ridiculously good in 10-11. He legitimately could have had 5 assists in the Bolton game (I counted), and had at least 2 goals and an assist tonight (only saw the last goal, which he assisted on). I think that if he stays healthy, he could have a huge, huge year. Pity that RvP/Walcott got injured, Arsenal could have hit some huge goal totals against some smaller clubs.
I personally prefer to judge things season by season as that's how the game goes. The Ballon d'Or voting is a mess; you never know whether the voters vote based on a season or a calendar year or a mixture of the two. Would make much more sense to select the European Footballer of the Year in July/August - none of the top 5 leagues run in the summer and few players outside of them have any chance of getting votes.

As for Xavi, he basically does what Zidane did. He's just more cerebral and less flashy. I agree that he has his limitations but the guy is just so ridiculously consistent. But no, he does not deserve the Ballon d'Or this year.

And neither does Sneijder. Despite his goals (4 actual goals IIRC) he was more lucky than great in the World Cup, even quiet by his standards. Messi had a better tournament and a better club season. In 2009-10, one player was simply in a league of his own.

I also love Iniesta, but ranking him over Drogba is downright ridiculous! Iniesta was terrific for a month or so and had some excellent games every now and then, but that injury simply spoiled his season. He has no business in the top 30, let alone top 5.

Sampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 01:57 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampe View Post
I personally prefer to judge things season by season as that's how the game goes. The Ballon d'Or voting is a mess; you never know whether the voters vote based on a season or a calendar year or a mixture of the two. Would make much more sense to select the European Footballer of the Year in July/August - none of the top 5 leagues run in the summer and few players outside of them have any chance of getting votes.

As for Xavi, he basically does what Zidane did. He's just more cerebral and less flashy. I agree that he has his limitations but the guy is just so ridiculously consistent. But no, he does not deserve the Ballon d'Or this year.

And neither does Sneijder. Despite his goals (4 actual goals IIRC) he was more lucky than great in the World Cup, even quiet by his standards. Messi had a better tournament and a better club season. In 2009-10, one player was simply in a league of his own.
Umm...no.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:12 AM
*Injektilo

This is quite a bit OT, but very weird. During the France-Bosnia game, a bunch of people in Paris are at a bar watching the game, when they suddenly see Ludovic Giuly lose it.

I love the end when he realizes he's been filmed.

*Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Sampe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Umm...no.
One of Sneijder's goals was an own goal by Felipe Melo, one was a deflection and one a goalkeeper mistake...that leaves a header and an empty netter where he showed good movement. He also provided some solid playmaking though, but I did not witness any dominance. In fact, the Netherlands probably would have been out of the tournament by the semifinal phase had Melo not taken that red card.

Messi was one of the best players in the tournament in his first 4 games IMO. Aside from collecting 3 or 4 assists (one of the goals should not have counted) he looked dangerous virtually every time he got the ball and created tons of scoring chances, mostly for himself. Meanwhile the Netherlands struggled to create anything against the likes of Japan and like Argentina failed beat any noteworthy teams (unless we count the 10-men Brazil that imploded in the 2nd half).

What do you think was particularly impressive about Sneijder's tournament?

Old
09-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Jersey Fresh
Video Et Taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
This is quite a bit OT, but very weird. During the France-Bosnia game, a bunch of people in Paris are at a bar watching the game, when they suddenly see Ludovic Giuly lose it.

I love the end when he realizes he's been filmed.

What in God's name was that?

Jersey Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Epictetus
Create yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

The reasons you have against Xavi are purely tactical.

He slows the pace of the game down, competely dominates the passing at midfield -- which is so crucial in soccer -- and allows Barcelona to truely utilize their wingers in the 4-3-3 formation. Everything that Barcelona does, or Spain for that matter at the WC, ran through Xavi and Iniesta. It may seem like he does not do as much work as a typical CM, but thats because his ability to slow the game down, allows him to break down the other team -- he does this from a stationary position. Iniesta is more of the opposite as he does this on the run, and with a change in pace.

Defensively, the tactic is high pressure, win the ball back. They'll have two guys, or sometimes three, converging at the ball carrior to steal it. It's more of a team element. I can see how this be confused as "less work" compared to a man to man, like Sneijder.

Old
09-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Epictetus
Create yourself.

Quote:
One of Sneijder's goals was an own goal by Felipe Melo, one was a deflection and one a goalkeeper mistake...that leaves a header and an empty netter where he showed good movement. He also provided some solid playmaking though, but I did not witness any dominance. In fact, the Netherlands probably would have been out of the tournament by the semifinal phase had Melo not taken that red card.

Messi was one of the best players in the tournament in his first 4 games IMO. Aside from collecting 3 or 4 assists (one of the goals should not have counted) he looked dangerous virtually every time he got the ball and created tons of scoring chances, mostly for himself. Meanwhile the Netherlands struggled to create anything against the likes of Japan and like Argentina failed beat any noteworthy teams (unless we count the 10-men Brazil that imploded in the 2nd half).

Brazil lost in the quarters? I'm not following.

Old
09-16-2010, 02:30 PM
JaymzB

Quote:

The Dutch were already up 2-1 when Melo was sent off.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Epictetus
Create yourself.

Brazil was the cause of their own downfall. I'd accept that as a fair argument. Still admire and always will for that comeback. Not only did my prediction come right, but I have not seen many teams battle that hard in my life.

Old
09-16-2010, 03:05 PM
El_Loco_Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymzB View Post
Ding ding.

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Sampe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymzB View Post
Oops. Gonna have to buy a new pair of glasses I guess. Or a new memory chip.

But anyways, Brazil had the game completely in control and then basically imploded.

Old
09-16-2010, 04:30 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
The reasons you have against Xavi are purely tactical.

He slows the pace of the game down, competely dominates the passing at midfield -- which is so crucial in soccer -- and allows Barcelona to truely utilize their wingers in the 4-3-3 formation. Everything that Barcelona does, or Spain for that matter at the WC, ran through Xavi and Iniesta. It may seem like he does not do as much work as a typical CM, but thats because his ability to slow the game down, allows him to break down the other team -- he does this from a stationary position. Iniesta is more of the opposite as he does this on the run, and with a change in pace.

Defensively, the tactic is high pressure, win the ball back. They'll have two guys, or sometimes three, converging at the ball carrior to steal it. It's more of a team element. I can see how this be confused as "less work" compared to a man to man, like Sneijder.
Again, I am not arguing at all that Xavi is EXTREMELY good at what he does, but I've always had a couple points against him (and Fabregas falls into this category as well). Although first, while I like watching Xavi, I mean, there's no way he puts in the defensive work that Sneijder does, particularly considering that Barca normally possess the ball around 70% of the time.

- The "holy crap Xavi is really good" stage only started a couple years ago and it coincides with the "holy crap, Messi is really, really, really good" stage. So I mean, not that Xavi isn't an absolutely amazing passer, but I think there's a huge benefit when you're passing to Messi or Villa (for the National Team). I mean, Xavi has been a Barca fixture since 2000, but never really started getting Ballon d'Or buzz until he started playing with Messi who might already have a strong case to be the best player of at least the last 15 years.

- Xavi, like Fabregas, is now somebody that needs to play in a very specialized system (basically 4-3-3 and that's it) and he also needs specific players around him to succeed. If you take Messi, Ronaldo, Drogba, Pique, Essien, Gerrard etc. and plop them into almost any team in the world (Maradona notwithstanding), they're going to succeed. Whereas if you put Xavi in a Chelsea or Man Utd style 4-3-3, I don't think he'd reach his best.

- Admittedly a somewhat different team than it is now, but people seem to have completely forgotten that Barca won the 2006 CL and had one of their best ever seasons in 2005-06 without significant contribution from Xavi. Admittedly not his fault because he was injured, but still, they went through Chelsea and Milan in the knockouts and also had a great domestic season. So I mean, I feel like they did okay with him then and I'm not completely convinced that if he got injured now, that it would be a crippling blow.

Xavi is a phenomenal player, but I've felt for a while that if you replaced Xavi in the Barca team with someone like Gourcuff/Fabregas/Iniesta (if you cloned him), or a couple others, they wouldn't really lose anything.

I do think Iniesta (even still) is the underappreciated guy for that team. In addition to his playmaking and versatility (very underrated there), he's someone I always see doing harassing and harrying and winning the ball back. I think he does that a lot more than Xavi or Fabregas for that matter and doesn't get much credit for it. I'm not a fan of some of his diving, but in a sport like football where players are so selfish nowadays, it is refreshing to see someone like Iniesta do the hard work and sacrifice the stardom for the good of the team.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:23 PM
Epictetus
Create yourself.

I agree with that, I do think Iniesta is often underlooked and Xavi gets more of the attention. He's just as dangerous, if not more because unlike Xavi he scores goals as well as creating plays, and breaking down the other teams defence.

Hes just completely dominant, and his current form(so his play as of now) is arguably second to none.

Old
09-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Plato

vCash: 95244
That Giuly video is weird as hell.
I'm especially disturbed as he is my assistant manager in my FM save and he's in charge of my team talks.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote