International Football Thread

Old
09-16-2010, 09:54 PM
*Injektilo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
That Giuly video is weird as hell.
I'm especially disturbed as he is my assistant manager in my FM save and he's in charge of my team talks.
You should fire him just for that.

*Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
Normally I would but he has some kick ass stats.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 04:37 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Make sure he doesn't do that strip routine at half-time then.

ProPAIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 05:31 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
So does FM project Giuly as a CL-winning manager in 10 years?

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
No way it happens.
While he has tactical knowledge and probably is a good leader, he doesn't have the dimension of a manager.

Evilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Sampe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Again, I am not arguing at all that Xavi is EXTREMELY good at what he does, but I've always had a couple points against him (and Fabregas falls into this category as well). Although first, while I like watching Xavi, I mean, there's no way he puts in the defensive work that Sneijder does, particularly considering that Barca normally possess the ball around 70% of the time.
Not arguing that Xavi works harder defensively than Sneijder, but his defensive work includes protecting the ball better than anyone else in the world and the man himself is a big reason why Barca dominate possession. Not only can he shield the ball well, he also knows when to pass it.

Quote:
- The "holy crap Xavi is really good" stage only started a couple years ago and it coincides with the "holy crap, Messi is really, really, really good" stage. So I mean, not that Xavi isn't an absolutely amazing passer, but I think there's a huge benefit when you're passing to Messi or Villa (for the National Team). I mean, Xavi has been a Barca fixture since 2000, but never really started getting Ballon d'Or buzz until he started playing with Messi who might already have a strong case to be the best player of at least the last 15 years.
I didn't follow La Liga back then but IIRC, Belgian Fan called Xavi the best midfielder in the world in the fall of 2004. His '04-05 season was cut short due to an injury, but he was still named the best Spanish player in La Liga. His role was also less noticeable whilst Ronaldinho was in the team, closer to Guardiola's role back in the 90s I guess. And for what it's worth, Guardiola never received a whole lot of Ballon d'Or votes.

Quote:
- Admittedly a somewhat different team than it is now, but people seem to have completely forgotten that Barca won the 2006 CL and had one of their best ever seasons in 2005-06 without significant contribution from Xavi. Admittedly not his fault because he was injured, but still, they went through Chelsea and Milan in the knockouts and also had a great domestic season. So I mean, I feel like they did okay with him then and I'm not completely convinced that if he got injured now, that it would be a crippling blow.
Like you said, they were a different team back then. Most importantly they still had Deco, who was selected Barcelona's Player of the Season and the UEFA Midfielder of the Year in '05-06. But I do admit that Xavi's injury wouldn't hurt too much as long as Iniesta is healthy.

Incidentally, Zidane leaving Juventus and joining Real Madrid didn't affect either team all that much, either. But that's just an observation, the lineups changed so much that I can't draw any conclusions from it.

Quote:
I do think Iniesta (even still) is the underappreciated guy for that team. In addition to his playmaking and versatility (very underrated there), he's someone I always see doing harassing and harrying and winning the ball back. I think he does that a lot more than Xavi or Fabregas for that matter and doesn't get much credit for it. I'm not a fan of some of his diving, but in a sport like football where players are so selfish nowadays, it is refreshing to see someone like Iniesta do the hard work and sacrifice the stardom for the good of the team.
Yeah, Iniesta is still a bit underappreciated by some. Maybe that has something to do with that poorly timed injury right after his breakout season in 2009. But although I agree on Iniesta's work rate, he also misplaces his passes and thus loses the ball more often than Xavi. They have different stregnths and weaknesses.

Sampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 03:46 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampe View Post
Not arguing that Xavi works harder defensively than Sneijder, but his defensive work includes protecting the ball better than anyone else in the world and the man himself is a big reason why Barca dominate possession. Not only can he shield the ball well, he also knows when to pass it.
Xavi plays a big part in that, but again, if you replaced Xavi with Gourcuff, do Barca all of a sudden stop having 70% possession?

Quote:
I didn't follow La Liga back then but IIRC, Belgian Fan called Xavi the best midfielder in the world in the fall of 2004. His '04-05 season was cut short due to an injury, but he was still named the best Spanish player in La Liga. His role was also less noticeable whilst Ronaldinho was in the team, closer to Guardiola's role back in the 90s I guess. And for what it's worth, Guardiola never received a whole lot of Ballon d'Or votes.
Eh, back then (no offense to Spanish fans), but being best Spanish player in La Liga wasn't a huge accomplishment considering the main competition every year. I'd be willing to bet that back then, out of Barca/Madrid's best 10 players, Xavi (and maybe Puyol) were the only Spaniards.

I'd say Xavi as the best midfielder in the fall of 2004 is also debatable considering the season Lampard was having plus Deco on his own team, Ballack still being a force, even Vieira having perhaps his final great, great season in 03-04.

And I mean, Guardiola never got that many votes because he was always a great, great player, but never the greatest player.

Quote:
Like you said, they were a different team back then. Most importantly they still had Deco, who was selected Barcelona's Player of the Season and the UEFA Midfielder of the Year in '05-06. But I do admit that Xavi's injury wouldn't hurt too much as long as Iniesta is healthy.
Which I think is somewhat of an indictment. What Xavi does is excellent, but it's fairly replaceable and it always has been while he's been at Barca.

Quote:
Incidentally, Zidane leaving Juventus and joining Real Madrid didn't affect either team all that much, either. But that's just an observation, the lineups changed so much that I can't draw any conclusions from it.
Well I mean, we could get into a whole different kettle of fish as far as Zidane being overrated.

Quote:
Yeah, Iniesta is still a bit underappreciated by some. Maybe that has something to do with that poorly timed injury right after his breakout season in 2009. But although I agree on Iniesta's work rate, he also misplaces his passes and thus loses the ball more often than Xavi. They have different stregnths and weaknesses.
Yeah, the one thing you do have to say for Xavi is that he usually plays a full schedule which is pretty nice to have nowadays.

Old
09-17-2010, 03:56 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
So does FM project Giuly as a CL-winning manager in 10 years?
Not as long as I keep re-signing him as my ass man they don't.

Old
09-17-2010, 04:19 PM
FlyHigh

Haha, well played.

Old
09-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Sampe

Quote:
Xavi plays a big part in that, but again, if you replaced Xavi with Gourcuff, do Barca all of a sudden stop having 70% possession?
What Xavi does is excellent, but it's fairly replaceable and it always has been while he's been at Barca.
Gourcuff is already an excellent player and I consider Iniesta a top 5 player in the world at his best (and that's despite his disappointing end product). Both players could probably help Barca dominate possession, but I doubt they could be as effective at it as Barca are with Xavi + Iniesta.

And then again, Rooney was able to replace C. Ronaldo and Man Utd kept doing pretty well. The same I imagine goes for a number of cases where you must use your remaining world class players to cope with loosing one of them. It can be done, provided that you have the right type of players. So are you saying that there are no such replacements for the likes of Drogba, Essien, and Gerrard? Not just in their respective clubs but overall?

Quote:
I'd say Xavi as the best midfielder in the fall of 2004 is also debatable considering the season Lampard was having plus Deco on his own team, Ballack still being a force, even Vieira having perhaps his final great, great season in 03-04.

And I mean, Guardiola never got that many votes because he was always a great, great player, but never the greatest player.

Well I mean, we could get into a whole different kettle of fish as far as Zidane being overrated.
Debatable or not, I trusted BF’s insight enough to conclude that Xavi already appeared to be in the discussion back then. We took him something like 21st overall in the HF soccer draft back then and I started to consider that an excellent pick as soon as I saw Xavi play in the Champions League (vs. Chelsea) after the draft. In 2004-05 he scored 3 goals and 11 assists in 45 games from central midfield while playing a more defensive role than these days:

I didn’t watch Guardiola much in the 90s but from what I’ve heard he was considered the smartest player of his generation. His passing ability on the whole was probably even superior to Xavi’s. He was all brain though and inferior to both Xavi and Iniesta in terms of technique, but it’s still disturbing to see his career Ballon d’Or vote total at 1. Maybe he wasn’t THE greatest, but surely top 20 in the world at least a few times?

I don’t really want to touch Zidane either TBH since I agree with you on him being overrated. But the man was still a world class midfielder in his prime, right?

Sampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 05:29 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
This is quite a bit OT, but very weird. During the France-Bosnia game, a bunch of people in Paris are at a bar watching the game, when they suddenly see Ludovic Giuly lose it.

I love the end when he realizes he's been filmed.
WTF LOL

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 04:37 PM
gary69

Karma hit him eventually...

"Byron Moreno charged with drug smuggling"

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...825749&cc=5739

Seems that Blatter/Fifa and the Asian betting syndicates couldn't look after him for life like they promised for his services delivered as requested in 2002.

Well at least FIFA kept their word to Italian and Spanish federations that those two countries would win the next two WC's as promised after their treatment in 2002.

gary69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

Vela and Juarez suspended for 6 months from Mexican NT for partying it up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...co-months.html

Old
09-22-2010, 09:57 PM
*Injektilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
Vela and Juarez suspended for 6 months from Mexican NT for partying it up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...co-months.html
The games they will miss:

Friendly @ home vs. Venezuela (December 10)

And that's it.

Harsh.

Old
09-22-2010, 10:35 PM
KingLB

Quote:

And that's it.

Harsh.
Agreed, might be a little different if it was in Europe. But now its almost more of a reward they don't have to fly across globe for a meaningless friendly against a sub-par team.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:33 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Hey, everybody I heard that Argentina are going to play Mexico in the Us for a friendly. Does anyone know where exactly it's going to be in the states? I'm hopeing it will in or around New York.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

And that's it.

Harsh.
The horror!

Old
09-23-2010, 12:58 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary69 View Post
Wait, is this site to be taken seriously?

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:55 PM
KingLB

US roster for friendlys vs Colombia/Poland

GOALKEEPERS (2): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton).

DEFENDERS (8): Carlos Bocanegra (Saint-Étienne), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Clarence Goodson (IK Start), Eric Lichaj (Aston Villa), Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan), Michael Parkhurst (FC Nordsjaelland), Heath Pearce (FC Dallas), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United).

MIDFIELDERS (7): Alejandro Bedoya (Örebro), Michael Bradley (Borussia Moenchengladbach), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Benny Feilhaber (Aarhus), Stuart Holden (Bolton Wanderers), Jermaine Jones (FC Schalke), Brek Shea (FC Dallas).

FORWARDS (3): Jozy Altidore (Villarreal), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Eddie Johnson (Fulham).

Good to see Shea there, but a little weird only 2 MLS players called up and they are both from Dallas a team chasing #1. Also Gooch called in, but not Demerit.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:43 PM
*Injektilo

France's squad against Romania and Luxembourg on Oct 9 and 12:

GK: Hugo Lloris (Lyon), Steve Mandanda (Marseille), Cédric Carrasso (Bordeaux)

D: Bakary Sagna (Arsenal), Adil Rami (Lille), Philippe Mexès (Roma), Mamadou Sakho (Paris SG), Gaël Clichy (Arsenal), Benoît Trémoulinas (Bordeaux)

M: Abou Diaby (Arsenal), Alou Diarra (Bordeaux), Lassana Diarra (Real Madrid), Yann Mvila (Rennes), Florent Malouda (Chelsea), Yoann Gourcuff (Lyon), Mathieu Valbuena (Marseille), Blaise Matuidi (Saint-Etienne), Samir Nasri (Arsenal)

F: Kevin Gameiro (Lorient), Guillaume Hoarau (Paris SG), Karim Benzema (Real Madrid), Loïc Rémy (Marseille), Dimitri Payet (Saint-Etienne)

Old
01-12-2011, 10:09 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Qatar's 2nd game in the Asian Cup is just coming on now, stadium is barely half full and it's in there own country.

Just sayin'...

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Qatar's 2nd game in the Asian Cup is just coming on now, stadium is barely half full and it's in there own country.

Just sayin'...
Well, they should beat China, but they've gotten handled by vaunted world powers like Iraq and Uzbekistan recently.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 12:02 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Well, they should beat China, but they've gotten handled by vaunted world powers like Iraq and Uzbekistan recently.
Yeah, it just makes me laugh that they are going to host a World Cup and their fans jump off the bandwagon after 1 loss.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
crazy game Syria vs Japan today, I was glad Japan won in the end, 2 penalties 2 reds

Panteras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:55 AM
Starrlinx

Wow, what a debacle this is becoming. Qatar saying they have no intention of moving 2022 WC to January.

Bravo FIFA

Starrlinx is offline   Reply With Quote