International Football Thread

Old
01-14-2011, 02:26 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrlinx View Post
Wow, what a debacle this is becoming. Qatar saying they have no intention of moving 2022 WC to January.

Bravo FIFA
Uh, this has been a debacle for quite some time now.

GirouxGiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Jiri Bicek
Rusty Shackleford

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jiri Bicek
USA vs. Argentina returns to the Meadowlands in March.. Amazing atmosphere and a great match a couple years ago in the old place

Supporters tickets on sale now, pre-sale tomorrow, general public the follow day

Jiri Bicek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
Don't know if anyone followed the Asian Cup this weekend, crazy quaterfinals match Japan vs Qatar

here it is for anyone who missed it

it's worth it just for watching Zaccheroni's reactions

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Bumped for this week's games. Gerrard is out of England's match against Denmark with a strained groin. Bit worrying.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

Begovic, Dzeko, and Ibricic are out for BiH's game against Mexico.

Do any Stoke fans know if Begovic is a complete **** off the field? He was a no show in our last friendly because he was "sick" without mentioning it to anybody and is refusing to travel to NA for the Mexico friendly.

Anybody have a full list of friendlies?

Edonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 08:00 PM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
Bumping this for the next round of internationals coming up

Ireland plays Macedonia at Aviva, which should be a relative give-me (barring any unforeseen handballs). ROI follows this with a friendly against Uruguay next match which is no easy task, but they will be without Suarez which helps the cause.

USA play Argentina and Paraguay in friendlies. Argentina will be very tough as they have a very full squad and Paraguay are no slouches either. Cardozo and Barrios are both very tough strikers to handle.

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:54 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Axis View Post
Bumping this for the next round of internationals coming up

Ireland plays Macedonia at Aviva, which should be a relative give-me (barring any unforeseen handballs). ROI follows this with a friendly against Uruguay next match which is no easy task, but they will be without Suarez which helps the cause.

USA play Argentina and Paraguay in friendlies. Argentina will be very tough as they have a very full squad and Paraguay are no slouches either. Cardozo and Barrios are both very tough strikers to handle.
Macedonia is never an easy game.

They are strong in the middle, Ireland sucks in the middle. Gibo is the only player that can score from the middle and Trap rarely plays him, if he starts him, he might drop a bomb in for a goal.

Given out injured, Keane having an awful season. Not so sure it's going to be a cake walk. I'll take a 1-0 win and if he starts Kilbane over Coleman, I'm going to blow him up.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 01:53 PM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 214
Macedonia are very poor away from home and they are probably the worst team of the ex-YU nations. Skopje is a tough place to play, even Spain had struggles there but away from home they are attrocious. They have a guy playing in a relegation bound side in the Croatian league, to me thats incredible

From my perspective, Croatia have a big game against Georgia on Saturday. Georgia has good form, they haven't lost in 7 matches but outside of a win against Cameroon and a draw away to Greece the results don't really pop out at you. A win for Croatia is one step closer to Euro...they better not disappoint

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 02:12 PM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
Pandev is their main danger man for sure, but I really don't know about any other quality they have.

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 02:17 PM
angel18

Quote:
Pandev is their main danger man for sure, but I really don't know about any other quality they have.
they have the quality to be reckoned with and are very dangerous at all and to anticipate them you must continue to monitor their progress at any time and keep practicing do not get discouraged, I'm sure they can be defeated

angel18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 02:46 PM
HajdukSplit

Quote:
thats pretty much it along with Naumoski. Their midfield is non-existant, I really can't believe it looking at their squad on wikipedia They have a few veterans in the backline who play for respectable clubs (Popov, Noveski). Ireland should not have a problem with Macedonia at home, in Skopje will be another story.

I still think Russia will win that group though

Old
03-24-2011, 05:15 PM
zamo86

Italy to continue their tradition in away games against ex-YUG countries and choke yet again.

zamo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 06:05 PM
HajdukSplit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamo86 View Post
Italy to continue their tradition in away games against ex-YUG countries and choke yet again.

Italy is Croatia's "good luck" team, we never lose to them

Old
03-24-2011, 06:22 PM
zamo86

Slovenia doesnt know how to loose against them at home or in Trieste/Trst fot that matter, which is home basiclly. The only time Italy managed to take a point away against Slovenia was in Euro 1996 qualifiers where they stole 2pts, literally (1-1 was the score and then this shot happened, but the ref "missed" it):

Last edited by zamo86: 03-24-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old
03-24-2011, 09:06 PM
gnr25

Go Slovenija Go!!!
I hope they qualify for Euro 2012 because I know the Slovene ambassador to Canada and his family. One of the daughters goes to the school where I work.

I also cheer for Germany, France and Netherlands.
My priority list is:
1. Germany
2. France
3. Netherlands
4. Slovenia

I even have the green Slovenija jersey and also a cool t-shirt (majica).

gnr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:05 PM
zamo86

Well, your green jersey will be obsolete in less than a year. Green was never the genuine colour of the country and was adopted by some idiots as the second colour of the national team somewhere in 94 I think. And after some 15 years of 'struggle and protests' by the fans they finally decided to get rid of that ugly colour and change the jerseys back to what the were from 91-94 and even before 91 when Slovenia was a regional team not affiliated with FIFA/UEFA (much like Katalonia is today). If Slovenia makes it to Euro 2012 (and I think it will) then the main colours will be white and blue, with shades of red.

Old
03-25-2011, 01:45 AM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

Slovenia aren't really known for their dominance at home so it's kind of surprising that Italy has done as bad as they have. I'd still be putting my money down on them. I mean, if Estonia can win a game 3-1 in Belgrade, Italy winning one in Maribor shouldn't be that hard. Italy/Slovenia should make it out of Group C pretty easily.

Edonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 01:47 AM
Fighter
Legend

Quote:
Slovenia doesnt know how to loose against them at home or in Trieste/Trst fot that matter, which is home basiclly
As much as Capodistria/Koper and Istria are italian

I can see a 1-1 tie, the italian team is nothing special nowadays.

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 01:53 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Holden out for six months perhaps ruined our chances of getting any kind of result against Argentina. Perhaps we never had them anyway. I would just like to see us score and not be embarrassed which is a fine objective. I think we'll beat Paraguay.

Thank JESUS Findley wasn't given a call up.

Then there's the Liverpool matter. If anyone gets hurt again just like always happens I'm going to be pissed off. Especially Carroll. Don't get hurt!

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 11:15 AM
zamo86

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_one98 View Post
, Italy winning one in Maribor shouldn't be that hard.
This time its played in Ljubljana. They finally got a new stadium. Serbia will be played in Maribor though, but without their fans.

I still think Serbia can get in the race for at least second spot. A draw between Italy and Slovenia would get Serbia (presuming they will win at home vs N.Ireland) on -1 point to second place and -4 to first and still plenty of games to be played. If Italy makes an upset and actually wins something east of the Adriatic then they could be even on points with Slovenia. I see Serbia winning all 6 points (H-N.Ireland, A-Estonia) in four days of March.

Old
03-25-2011, 11:22 AM
HajdukSplit

I still see Serbia finishing second, even though confidence seems low and some players are retiring. If they take 6 points from their next two matches I think they will finish second, anything less than they will struggle. As long as Northern Ireland don't make Euros I don't care...they are basically the Stoke City of national teams

Old
03-25-2011, 11:48 AM
zamo86

N. Ireland will never make WC anymore, LOL.

I've looked into some stats since 91 (partion of Yugoslavia) with Italy playing against ex-YUG countries in football.

In their 9 away games (x2 neutral venues - 1 friendly in Canada and 1 WC match - included) they managed to win only once. Couple of years back, when they won against Montenegro (I think this was their first qualifiers since independence and I very much doubt Italy could get anything more then a draw today). So, they could be writing history tonight, if they win.

Serbia, Croatia and Bosnia (ok, they played only one match in their history against Italy, but won) are still undefeated on the pitch against Italy.

Old
03-25-2011, 02:53 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
N. Ireland will never make WC anymore, LOL.

I've looked into some stats since 91 (partion of Yugoslavia) with Italy playing against ex-YUG countries in football.

In their 9 away games (x2 neutral venues - 1 friendly in Canada and 1 WC match - included) they managed to win only once. Couple of years back, when they won against Montenegro (I think this was their first qualifiers since independence and I very much doubt Italy could get anything more then a draw today). So, they could be writing history tonight, if they win.

Serbia, Croatia and Bosnia (ok, they played only one match in their history against Italy, but won) are still undefeated on the pitch against Italy.
20 minutes in, 1 good chance for Serbia so far and the North had a lot of corners early on.

Old
03-25-2011, 03:14 PM
GarretJoseph*

and N.Ireland has gone up 1-0 over Serbia.

Edit: 1-0 at Half time.

265 fans in the stands, all from N.Ireland and they are loud as hell!!! lol

Last edited by GarretJoseph*: 03-25-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old
03-25-2011, 03:26 PM
HajdukSplit

Serbia have been a debacle since sacking Antic, while they didn't have a good World Cup he at least is a good manager unlike they guy they hired...hey I shouldn't complain to much, they can keep thinking they are the best in the region