HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalchuk has no impact on Kaberle

Old
08-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Eames

vCash: 500
I think there are a few reasons that sparkle the proposed ryan deal

1) Brett Lebda, I cant imagine Brett Lebda signs in Toronto to be the 7th dman. I mean although he isnt a top notch dman he played the 5th-6th dman role well enouhg to warrant a few yrs of service to Detroit a perrenial stanley cup team. With that on his resume, I dont see a rational for Lebda to sign to a team with the stipulation that he will be competing for a roster spot. I think this is the biggest hint kaberle is on the way out

2) Murray has stated he wants to rebuild Anahiems D because currently its listed as
Vishnovsky Lydman
Wizniewski Sutton
Ward Eminger

Sorry but that D looks pretty attrocious if you ask me. Now with the departure of Niedermayer ana will need some sort of offense from the backend besides Vishnovsky and Kaberle can definitly provide that offence

3) If Murray is stating the truth saying that he offered ryan 5yrs at 25mil I cant imagine any 21yr old player walking away from guaranteed 5mil a yr, playing in summer weather all the time, and playing on one of the best lines in the NHL unless theres another motive. Personally i think there are 2 reasons. 1) Ryan is tired of being the #4/5 guy and wants to be the go to guy/ face of franchise and 2) I think Ryan believes ana is in a downward spiral into being a bottom feeder team and I dont think he wants to be apart of it. Maybe he sees Leafs as one of the more promising teams and wants to join them and be one of the go to guys, ntm Burke will likley sign him for more money than ana is offering

My biggest worry is that the leafs wont have enough assests in a possible trade, unless Murray takes less in fear of losing Ryan for nothing. Im thinking we could lose a possible gunnarsson/aulie along with the deal but I can live with it if it means were getting ryan. Also I dont think BB trades Kadri because it creates the same hole we are trying to fill by bringing in Ryan, and i guarantee we wont be able to find another player of his potential/age in a trade.
At the same pt, there arnt many teams that can sign another 6mil player w/o going over the cap/being a small market team. So the leafs could be in a small race with only a few other teams, rather than many teams.

Next few days are gonna be sooo much fun lol

EDIT: Forgot they signed Lydman and Sutton

Last edited by Eames: 08-10-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Eames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 01:23 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygeek View Post
I think Burke would detest a player of Ribeiro's character. I'd be absolutely shocked if Burke even considered him. Judging by his transactions character preceeds talent
Is there anything more to the character issue than the acting? Like was he despised in the dressing room in Mtl? I have to think that players that dive a lot are allowed to do this by their coach. If you dive you sit is a pretty good deterrent. If he has other stuff going on with how he relates to other players that is different of course.

BB had guys like Matt Cooke and Ruutu in Vancouver so he isn't afraid of cheap shot artists. Not the same as faking an injury tho. Hopefully he can find character with talent.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 01:26 PM
mooseOAK*

All it means that LA and NJ aren't in the running with offers for Kaberle, pretty easy to read between the lines here.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Guy Germaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
Is there anything more to the character issue than the acting? Like was he despised in the dressing room in Mtl?
Him, Jose Theodore and Pierre Dagenais formed a click known to the media as "Les trois Amigos" , and apparently alienated themselves from the team.
Ribeiro also once got into a fight with Koivu during practice, for reasons unknown although it's speculated that Ribeiro was questioning Koivu's abilities as a captain and number one center.
Then there's the numerous off ice rumors about his character that circulated by word of mouth through the club scene. (Which I won't mention since it can be considered slanderous).

I'm sure it's all in the past now though, from what I've heard and read, he's matured a lot and is loved in Dallas.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 01:40 PM
hdtrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosebleedsLeafs View Post
2) Murray has stated he wants to rebuild Anahiems D because currently its listed as
Vishnovsky Ward
Wizniewski Eminger
Brookbank Sbisa

Sorry but that D looks pretty attrocious if you ask me. Now with the departure of Niedermayer ana will need some sort of offense from the backend besides Vishnovsky and Kaberle can definitly provide that offence
Dude, you need to get your facts straight and your head out of somewhere. First off, Anaheim's D is listed as:

Visnovsky-Lydman
Sutton-Syrvet/Brookbank
Sbisa-Ward

Not a great D core, yes, but that opens up a spot for Fowler to maybe crack the team this year and Jake Gardiner next year (or Mikkelson/Mitera this year as well).

Also, the notion that Anaheim is heading into a "downward spiral" is LAUGHABLE. 25 year old franchise players in Getzlaf and Perry, plus 23 year old Bobby Ryan, with Hiller in net, followed by a stream of prospects mentioned above such as Fowler, Gardiner, Mikkelson and others such as Peter Holland, Emerson Etem, Matt Beleskey and Kyle Palmieri. Does this look like a team heading into a downward spiral to you!?

The Ducks aren't going downwards, they're actually on the upswing. Ryan leaving wouldn't make sense if THAT is the argument you're trying to make. And for the love of all that is holy Leaf fans, stop making us all look bad by saying that Ryan to the Leafs could and should happen. Because it won't. Forget it about, please please please.

hdtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Eames

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML1988 View Post
Dude, you need to get your facts straight and your head out of somewhere. First off, Anaheim's D is listed as:

Visnovsky-Lydman
Sutton-Syrvet/Brookbank
Sbisa-Ward

Not a great D core, yes, but that opens up a spot for Fowler to maybe crack the team this year and Jake Gardiner next year (or Mikkelson/Mitera this year as well).

Also, the notion that Anaheim is heading into a "downward spiral" is LAUGHABLE. 25 year old franchise players in Getzlaf and Perry, plus 23 year old Bobby Ryan, with Hiller in net, followed by a stream of prospects mentioned above such as Fowler, Gardiner, Mikkelson and others such as Peter Holland, Emerson Etem, Matt Beleskey and Kyle Palmieri. Does this look like a team heading into a downward spiral to you!?

The Ducks aren't going downwards, they're actually on the upswing. Ryan leaving wouldn't make sense if THAT is the argument you're trying to make. And for the love of all that is holy Leaf fans, stop making us all look bad by saying that Ryan to the Leafs could and should happen. Because it won't. Forget it about, please please please.
I looked at TSN for the roster and they never updated with UFA signings so my bad on that

On the ana going for a tank, thats my opinion, it could definitly be wrong and realistically it probably is i was just throwing out a suggestion as to what may go through a players head during negotiations. Like I said personally I dont like anahiems prospects, Folwer and Gardiner are still 2-3yrs away and Fowler has alot of defensive question marks and im not a big fan of their forward prospects but thats just me.

I never said that the leafs were Guranateed to get ryan, I was just making light of some occurances that go along with the article that Mess posted, making a few arugments as to why it still can be a possiblity ryan becomes a leaf, even though apparently people still think its impossible

Eames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 02:04 PM
teeks643
GO LETS GO

didn't Burke say a few weeks ago that the Kovalchuk contract being investigated created a log jam for interest in Kaberle?

teeks643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 02:28 PM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

Kaberle for Ryan would be amazing... Fans would be ecstatic and **** at the fact of a duo of Kessel and Ryan.

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Kessick

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggins416 View Post
didn't Burke say a few weeks ago that the Kovalchuk contract being investigated created a log jam for interest in Kaberle?
That was when every team was still uncertain where he would end up and there were a few pursuers in the mix. I think it's safe to assume he will re-sign with NJ, despite what happened with the rejected contract.

Kessick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosebleedsLeafs View Post
I looked at TSN for the roster and they never updated with UFA signings so my bad on that

On the ana going for a tank, thats my opinion, it could definitly be wrong and realistically it probably is i was just throwing out a suggestion as to what may go through a players head during negotiations. Like I said personally I dont like anahiems prospects, Folwer and Gardiner are still 2-3yrs away and Fowler has alot of defensive question marks and im not a big fan of their forward prospects but thats just me.

I never said that the leafs were Guranateed to get ryan, I was just making light of some occurances that go along with the article that Mess posted, making a few arugments as to why it still can be a possiblity ryan becomes a leaf, even though apparently people still think its impossible
Friend, dont worry about it. With the exception of the D gaff, I thought it was a well thought out post. I liked it.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 05:41 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

does Sweat still belong to the Leafs ? if so ship him + kaberle + some marlie if needed to the Ducks for Bobby Ryan ,there problem solved.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck9 View Post
I cant really see a California kid wanting to leave anaheim to come play for the lowly leafs. Unless he is sick of playing 3rd fiddle to Getzlaf and Perry.
I doubt it happens, but playing for the Leafs and playing for Burke must be tempting.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Woll Smoth

vCash: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcrazyman View Post
does Sweat still belong to the Leafs ? if so ship him + kaberle + some marlie if needed to the Ducks for Bobby Ryan ,there problem solved.
yeah because sweatt makes up the value difference between kaberle and ryan
and "some marlie" definitely doesn't add much value

I'm hoping for Ryan or Neal although i'm not sure what burke would have to add
i'm thinking at least kaberle + 2nd '11 (which im not sure if we still have it) + a prospect?

If not then i hope Burke can sign Kaberle to a 4 year deal to lock him up as a leaf for life

Woll Smoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woll Smoth View Post
yeah because sweatt makes up the value difference between kaberle and ryan
and "some marlie" definitely doesn't add much value

I'm hoping for Ryan or Neal although i'm not sure what burke would have to add
i'm thinking at least kaberle + 2nd '11 (which im not sure if we still have it) + a prospect?

If not then i hope Burke can sign Kaberle to a 4 year deal to lock him up as a leaf for life
Kaberle+2nd '11+Stefanovich/Holzer? Both?

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 06:45 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Ryan would cost Schenn ++ !!

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Psydeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcervi View Post
So kaberle has to get traded on the 14th or sometime before that right? just confirming that
No... the way I understand it is that the 15th is part of the window so 12 midnight Sunday is the deadline.

Psydeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Psydeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggins416 View Post
"A few weeks ago" is well.... a few weeks ago. A lot can change in that time period. I'm assuming he means that whoever the frontrunners are in Kabi at this point (NJ, LA) have no interest in Kovie.

Old
08-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck9 View Post
How can Ryan Clowe not interest you??? yet you would like Mike Ribeiro? puke.

I think if anything gets done with San Jose we will have to send a mid level prospect like Caputi back just incase San Jose doesnt resign Tomas and if they do the Leafs will get a conditional 2nd round draft pick as well or something along those lines.
Ryan Clowe doesn't interest a lot of Leaf fans I speak too that don't usually post on here. I wouldn't give up Kabs for Clowe. I rather keep Kabs..and I am not even a big fan of Kabs.

Clowe? You gotta be kidding me. Based on that article I'm pretty sure Burke has some sort of offer on the table that's far better then CLOWE being the main piece coming back..

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Psydeshow

Quote:
Oh yeah..... what a perfect world it would be if we could acquire 35-goal scorers for "the ***** we don't want!"

Old
08-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie79 View Post
Ryan Clowe doesn't interest a lot of Leaf fans I speak too that don't usually post on here. I wouldn't give up Kabs for Clowe. I rather keep Kabs..and I am not even a big fan of Kabs.

Clowe? You gotta be kidding me. Based on that article I'm pretty sure Burke has some sort of offer on the table that's far better then CLOWE being the main piece coming back..
If Clowe is the main piece coming back in a deal for Kaberle I will lose my mind. I like Clowe but we need to get young skillful players. Clowe isn't exactly old but he's also not the type of skill we need. There's plenty of players similar to him out there and usually a few hit the open every off-season...

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 07:53 PM
TheSilencer

I'd trade Beauchemin for Clowe, but not Kaberle. I find Kaberle more valuable to our team than Clowe, even with our inexperienced forward group. If Clowe is what coming back in a Kaberle trade, i'd rather resign Kaberle.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Baldo Ronaldo

I have no interest in Clowe for Kaberle either. However, I think Burke might do something like that...uggh

I would rather send Kaberle to the Ducks for Palmieri and maybe a lesser prospect or pick.

Baldo Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 08:18 PM
TheSilencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldo Ronaldo View Post
I have no interest in Clowe for Kaberle either. However, I think Burke might do something like that...uggh

I would rather send Kaberle to the Ducks for Palmieri and maybe a lesser prospect or pick.
Come on. That's even worse.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Baldo Ronaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShirtss View Post
Come on. That's even worse.
Yeah, in a way you're right but I think Palmieri was highly touted as a prospect and a big part of that U.S. team that frankly walked all over the other teams at last year's WJC. He may have been the captain of that team now that I think of it (or maybe it was Stepan?)

Anyway, everyone (including me) was thrilled and shocked with the Phaneuf trade because we clearly got the best player in the deal. I think Kaberle will likely be the best player in the deal (for now) that he is eventually a part of and we would do well to keep that in mind. hard to get a better player than him back for him (because he is such a solid player at what he does).

Baldo Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 08:45 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldo Ronaldo View Post
Yeah, in a way you're right but I think Palmieri was highly touted as a prospect and a big part of that U.S. team that frankly walked all over the other teams at last year's WJC. He may have been the captain of that team now that I think of it (or maybe it was Stepan?)

Anyway, everyone (including me) was thrilled and shocked with the Phaneuf trade because we clearly got the best player in the deal. I think Kaberle will likely be the best player in the deal (for now) that he is eventually a part of and we would do well to keep that in mind. hard to get a better player than him back for him (because he is such a solid player at what he does).
Stepan was the captain. Schroeder and some other dude were assistant

hockeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote