HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL video game discussion

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2010, 12:54 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
anyone play it yet? I have. I like it. Players have more of a presence and weight to them on the ice. Puck physics are pretty cool as well as the checking, which still feels awkward.

When passing or shooting the puck feels like it has weight to it. Some have said the game feels slow, but it think it's just right. Different sized players move at different speeds accordingly. Overall the graphics, ice, presentation looks alot crisper, sharper.

the ultimate team mode looks pretty cool as well.
Didn't they say that last year? Is it even slower still?

Do you still have to wait an hour between plays? lol

Old
08-18-2010, 12:58 PM
AJRanger

I can't get the demo to download for some reason, just stays stuck on 0%.

Old
08-18-2010, 01:24 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Didn't they say that last year? Is it even slower still?

Do you still have to wait an hour between plays? lol
The demo is always slow. In the actual game they have a slider to adjust the game speed.

Between plays is actually much quicker. I like it. Hopefully it helps with online play when your playing the 5 year old who has to fight after every whistle.

Old
08-18-2010, 01:28 PM
NikC

i think the speed is fine, i always hated previous years games speed issues, esp online. felt like a track meet. Not every NHL player has blistering speed and acceleration with limitless endurance. Like real hockey i like to see variations in speed based on the individual players.

Old
08-18-2010, 01:38 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Forget the ratings (besides Brodeur being too high) - how about improving the game and features?

They are adding a "stick-breaking" feature and a new faceoff engine to 2010. Ugh. What a waste of memory. There are tons of things they could do to improve the game, especially online.

For one - you can't alter the game settings online head to head and that sucks royally. The game is way too slow, they should fix that. If you can set it everywhere else why not online? How about being able to go back to the menu when the other player hits pause and you moved on by mistake? Simple fix. The more sliders the better. Higher camera angles would be nice to see more of the rink. Everyone has bigger flat screens sets these days. There are more.

How about gameplay - That dumb shaking of the hand after getting slashed has to go. Fixing the one timers should be on their list. You shouldn't miss completely, how about a shank? How about not being able to one time a shot when your back is facing the pass? How about holding a button in front of the net to purposely screen the goalie? How about a more realistic big time glove save? How about goals that go in OFF the post? They could add customized goal horns for each rink. They could add a too many men on the ice penalty perhaps? Thats only a few. I have a laundry list of things they could fix and the haven't fixed any of them.

Its still a great game, but it could be better.

Old
08-18-2010, 01:40 PM
broadwayblue

Are the PS3 and 360 versions pretty much the same? My 360 broke a couple months back and I haven't replaced it yet. I primarily used it to play NHL...so I was planning on getting a new one. But I could just get it to play on the PS3 instead...although I never really liked the controllers much.

Old
08-18-2010, 01:45 PM
TwistyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
i think the speed is fine, i always hated previous years games speed issues, esp online. felt like a track meet. Not every NHL player has blistering speed and acceleration with limitless endurance. Like real hockey i like to see variations in speed based on the individual players.
Agreed. You learn quickly you can't make a rush up ice with Redden.(or any Ranger defenseman actually). They did add a "Hustle" button back in, but it has no where near the effect the "turbo" had in previous versions. And really fatigues your player.

After playing the demo I'm thoroughly impressed. Physics engine added some bang for the buck. UHL has tons of potential by combining that RPG type element of being able to upgrade your rosters, win or lose.

Old
08-18-2010, 01:46 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

A track meet?

I think 10 online is a painfully slow pace.

Ill have to play it and see for myself.

Old
08-18-2010, 02:03 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Forget the ratings (besides Brodeur being too high) - how about improving the game and features?

They are adding a "stick-breaking" feature and a new faceoff engine to 2010. Ugh. What a waste of memory. There are tons of things they could do to improve the game, especially online.

For one - you can't alter the game settings online head to head and that sucks royally. The game is way too slow, they should fix that. If you can set it everywhere else why not online? How about being able to go back to the menu when the other player hits pause and you moved on by mistake? Simple fix. The more sliders the better. Higher camera angles would be nice to see more of the rink. Everyone has bigger flat screens sets these days. There are more.

How about gameplay - That dumb shaking of the hand after getting slashed has to go. Fixing the one timers should be on their list. You shouldn't miss completely, how about a shank? How about not being able to one time a shot when your back is facing the pass? How about holding a button in front of the net to purposely screen the goalie? How about a more realistic big time glove save? How about goals that go in OFF the post? They could add customized goal horns for each rink. They could add a too many men on the ice penalty perhaps? Thats only a few. I have a laundry list of things they could fix and the haven't fixed any of them.

A lot of those things you mentioned have been fixed. Playing in the demo they have the legit Chicago goal horn, so maybe the other one places do? The game is much better this year than you're giving it credit. Light years ahead of last years.

Old
08-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Old
08-18-2010, 02:09 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Old
08-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Old
08-18-2010, 03:05 PM
TwistyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
absolutely freakin awesome!!!!

I'm going to trick my brother, Rangers Fan who now lives in Pittsburgh. I'm going to tell him all NY State pre-orders of the game will receive this cover. He will be stuck with a Cindy Crosby cover. OMG this is going to be good. thanks MIO

Old
08-18-2010, 03:24 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:

The new faceoff system is an epic improvement. It's extremely deep and dramatically changes game play. The breaking sticks is alright. They also can be knocked out of your hand, picked back up, a new stick can be grabbed off the bench and the puck will bump off of dropped sticks. It's an okay addition. Does add some depth and realism to the gameplay.

They HAVE fixed some of the things you mentioned. I can't speak for online pauses obviously, but I haven't seen the hand-shake on the slash or wiffed on a lot of one timers. Now you're more likely to get a shot off and break the stick, and it actually seems really realistic when it occurs and feels natural. There are new goalie animations. There are A LOT more deflections. The defensive AI protects the front of the net and cross crease passes so much better it's almost impossible to score that way now. The new dekes are great; much more useful and will actually be effective in shootouts and breakaways as well. There's been customized goal horns for a few years now. Always on PC, two years on 360, last year on PS3, so no matter what system you play on, there are custom goal horns, team intro songs, victory songs, penalty songs, etc.

Old
08-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
LOL, that's great.

Old
08-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Can you set a game with no human players, set it in side view and have it look at least somewhat realistic?

I havent bought a hockey game since 2k5, a friend of mine had 2010 and I was still unimpressed by some of the things it lacked.

Old
08-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Xtranova

I think the demo is pretty nice.. A bit slow, but playing loads of GM it can be adjusted to ur own taste.. Will chase my fiance of to a spa or something for the weekend when it arrives

Old
08-18-2010, 03:42 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikTheKing30 View Post
A lot of those things you mentioned have been fixed. Playing in the demo they have the legit Chicago goal horn, so maybe the other one places do? The game is much better this year than you're giving it credit. Light years ahead of last years.
I was commenting on 09 and what id like to see fixed. Havent played the demo yet and they didnt mention the stuff above when i visited their new features page. If some of those things are fixed ill be happy.

Old
08-18-2010, 03:45 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
There's been customized goal horns for a few years now. Always on PC, two years on 360, last year on PS3, so no matter what system you play on, there are custom goal horns, team intro songs, victory songs, penalty songs, etc.
There is?

I never noticed a Rangers victory song... or goal horn/song for that matter.

Old
08-18-2010, 03:56 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
There is?

Custom...

meaning you customize it yourself.

You're asking for AUTHENTIC goal songs and such... EA is never going to do full authentic goal songs/intros/victories for all 30 teams because they'd have to pay for the rights to about 80+ songs. But you can upload any music you want and set custom intros, penalties, intermissions, goals and victories for all 30 teams. To make it even easier, there's a downloadable file out there somewhere that already put together all the right songs, so you just have to download it, put on a USB, upload the songs and set them. It takes about 15 minutes total and I had authentic everything for all NHL 10.

Also, the features you're looking for to be mentioned in their new features are never going to be listed. They're not going to say "Now featuring: No more complete misses on one timers! No more not being able to access the menu when the other guy pauses but you already exited online!" Those are the kinds of things that they either fix or don't, but you're never going to be able to find out from reading the new features they do list. They're only going to list stuff they feel is new and intriguing. Maybe you should just rent it so you don't have to commit $60 to if you don't like it but you can see what's different for minimal investment.

Old
08-18-2010, 03:57 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
There is?

Me neither. I know there are custom packs you can upload/install...but I'm pretty sure they weren't included with the game.

Old
08-18-2010, 04:01 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Me neither. I know there are custom packs you can upload/install...but I'm pretty sure they weren't included with the game.
They're never going to pay for the rights to 30 songs in order to have the authentic goal horns for all teams. They give you the ability to set ANY songs you like for ALL of the in game options (home penalty, away penalty, home goal, away goal, intermission, between play, victory, intro) and you can upload any music you want to and have an entirely customized soundtrack. Don't expect them to ever go beyond that; they won't.

Old
08-18-2010, 04:02 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
Custom...

meaning you customize it yourself.

You're asking for AUTHENTIC goal songs and such... EA is never going to do full authentic goal songs/intros/victories for all 30 teams because they'd have to pay for the rights to about 80+ songs. But you can upload any music you want and set custom intros, penalties, intermissions, goals and victories for all 30 teams. To make it even easier, there's a downloadable file out there somewhere that already put together all the right songs, so you just have to download it, put on a USB, upload the songs and set them. It takes about 15 minutes total and I had authentic everything for all NHL 10.

Also, the features you're looking for to be mentioned in their new features are never going to be listed. They're not going to say "Now featuring: No more complete misses on one timers! No more not being able to access the menu when the other guy pauses but you already exited online!" Those are the kinds of things that they either fix or don't, but you're never going to be able to find out from reading the new features they do list. They're only going to list stuff they feel is new and intriguing. Maybe you should just rent it so you don't have to commit $60 to if you don't like it but you can see what's different for minimal investment.
Would they need to pay for goal horn sounds?

Old
08-18-2010, 04:05 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
I don't know. It's possible, someone owns everything, right? The goal songs do much more for the realism though and they'd have to pay for those. It's great playing with OUR goal song and hearing it every time you score. It's also fun hearing Chelsea Dagger with the Hawks and such. It's very much worth it to take the ~20 minutes to download the song pack and upload the custom soundtracks in; makes the game significantly more realistic feeling.

Old
08-18-2010, 04:07 PM
fiedy88

vCash: 873
Quote:
They don't need to pay for the horn sounds, just the music, and that would cost a ton. Even though like ten teams use Rock and Roll, Part 1 as their celebration song.

Closed Thread