Fantasy Football Advice/Roster Discussion Thread 2011

Old
08-11-2010, 12:06 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Fantasy Football Advice/Roster Discussion Thread 2011

Talk about possible roster moves, discuss who to start, lineups, and post relevant fantasy information regarding injuries and whatnot.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 04:44 AM
BGDDYKWL

vCash: 500
Anyone have any experience with the free league at CBSSports? I've done several on Yahoo and they've been fine, but I've never done one on CBS. (Reason I'm asking is my money league is thinking about using CBS this year). Any feedback would be much appreciated.

*EDIT - Apparently you can't customize the free league, so anyone have any experience with the CBS pay league?

Last edited by BGDDYKWL: 08-13-2010 at 06:13 PM.
BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 12:51 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

How safe are some of these rookies to draft this year?

People have Ryan Matthews going super super early in many mocks. But what about other guys like CJ Spiller and even Dez Bryant?

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Pulp Fiction
RIP Wade Belak

Bryant could put up good numbers if he surpasses Roy Williams on the 'Boys depth chart, but that seems unlikely.

Pulp Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 05:41 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

I'd stay away from Spiller because the amount of touches he's going to get. Fred Jackson is going to take away receptions and carries, and Marshawn Lynch is bound to take some carries from him. He's got too much competition for me to be an owner if you ask me. Matthews will be good, but not good enough to justify his ADP as a late 1st/early 2nd. A lack of #1 WR(V-Jack for the first 4 games and possibly longer), and with Marcus McNeill and his holdout, there are a lot of things that could go wrong with Matthews. I think Jahvid Best will have a very solid season. With Dez Bryant, he could be great, or mediocre. I think he'll end up starting at some point, but Austin will get most of the looks, and with Barber, Jones, Choice, and Witten to also give the ball to, I don't think Dez is going to be putting up great numbers.

Old
08-13-2010, 06:24 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
How safe are some of these rookies to draft this year?

People have Ryan Matthews going super super early in many mocks. But what about other guys like CJ Spiller and even Dez Bryant?
Mathews is going a little too early in the mocks, but he's a safe bet. That's not to say it's a guarantee he'll be a top 7-8 RB this year, but the hype is justified. Here's why I say that. He is the clear number one there. There is no worry about Sproles taking his job. Sproles is a change of pace back and will never be anything more. Mathews is without question the guy there. How many RBs are without question the guy? AP, CJ, MJD, Turner, Gore, Rice, Mendenhall, McCoy, Benson, Grant, S Jackson, Addai, Greene, and probably Best. You could maybe argue J Harrison, Forsett, Cadillac, but those are huge question marks. Mathews is in that first group and IMO will be better than a lot of them, so taking him like middle of the 2nd round is about right.

Spiller has no chance to make a real big impact IMO. Neither does Bryant. Only a handful of receivers have caught for 1,000 yards their rookie year. Bryant might be worth a VERY late round pick, and Spiller might be worth picking up in the final round. Mathews and Best are the guys to look for this year.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 10:46 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
What's the deal with Ricky Williams/Ronnie Brown right now? I grabbed Ronnie Brown as my number 2 RB in my draft today (swerved away from going RB-RB) but unfortunately missed out by one pick on getting Ricky later in the draft to go with him. Obviously Williams put up some yards when Ronnie was out of the picture last year, but is Ronnie still supposed to be the man out there?

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 04:38 AM
Tyrannis

I'm in a 5 person league and I have Ray Rice and Deangelo Williams at HB plus Jamal Charles and Ahmad Bradshaw on the bench, but I have to cut one of them. Halp?

tyr

Last edited by Tyrannis: 08-22-2010 at 04:44 AM.
Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 02:35 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Definitely cut Bradshaw.

Old
08-22-2010, 02:37 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
What's the deal with Ricky Williams/Ronnie Brown right now? I grabbed Ronnie Brown as my number 2 RB in my draft today (swerved away from going RB-RB) but unfortunately missed out by one pick on getting Ricky later in the draft to go with him. Obviously Williams put up some yards when Ronnie was out of the picture last year, but is Ronnie still supposed to be the man out there?
I'd say Ronnie Brown is technically the starter, but Williams is still going to get 150+ touches, barring injury and will steal a good amount from Brown. Because of that, I'm staying away from both of them, especially Brown considering his injury history.

Old
08-22-2010, 05:36 PM
jayintro86

I was wondering if I got taken in a trade. Im in my first keeper league. I get 3 keepers. Our draft starts in the 4th round. My keepers were going to be Jonathan Stewart, Larry Fitzgerald and Matt Ryan. I just accepted a trade where I give up a 4th(my first pick) for DeAngelo Williams and a 15th round pick. Now If I want to keep Williams I have to give up one of the guys I wanted to keep and now he as two "first" rounders. Should I let one of my previous keepers go for Williams or should I trade to get back in the fourth round?

jayintro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 01:10 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaintro View Post
I was wondering if I got taken in a trade. Im in my first keeper league. I get 3 keepers. Our draft starts in the 4th round. My keepers were going to be Jonathan Stewart, Larry Fitzgerald and Matt Ryan. I just accepted a trade where I give up a 4th(my first pick) for DeAngelo Williams and a 15th round pick. Now If I want to keep Williams I have to give up one of the guys I wanted to keep and now he as two "first" rounders. Should I let one of my previous keepers go for Williams or should I trade to get back in the fourth round?
Getting DW for your 4th is very nice, considering DW is a late 1st-early 2nd round pick. To be able to have both DW and JS is fantastic. Out of the 3 guys you wanted to keep, Id get rid of Ryan. You can still get another good QB later.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 01:17 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
As a Dolphin fan and fantasy nut, I will let you know exactly how it is. Ronnie is obviously the starter, but Ricky will still get a lot of touches. Ronnie is a beast to have in fantasy, but with him, he is an automatic injury. Its just how it is. Ronnie is always near the top in fantasy numbers when his injury hits. Its just a matter of how long into the season he will go before the injury hits. As long as Brown is healthy and playing, start him with no regrets or worries, but just realize the injury will happen at some point.

Old
08-23-2010, 01:21 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Wow, no one posted their lineups yet, Im surprised. Well lets get it started and see those lineups. Rate the lineup listed above you. I'll get it going:

12 team league (bench players also listed)

QB - Eli Manning
QB - Jay Cutler

WR - Roddy White
WR - Miles Austin
WR - Steve Breaston
WR - Devin Aromashadu
WR - Laurent Robinson

RB - Jamaal Charles
RB - Jonathan Stewart
RB - Justin Forsett
RB - Reggie Bush
RB - Larry Johnson

TE - Jermichael Finley

K - Rob Bironas

DEF - Dallas

Old
08-23-2010, 03:01 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
Wow, no one posted their lineups yet, Im surprised. Well lets get it started and see those lineups. Rate the lineup listed above you. I'll get it going:

12 team league (bench players also listed)

QB - Eli Manning
QB - Jay Cutler

WR - Roddy White
WR - Miles Austin
WR - Steve Breaston
WR - Devin Aromashadu
WR - Laurent Robinson

RB - Jamaal Charles
RB - Jonathan Stewart
RB - Justin Forsett
RB - Reggie Bush
RB - Larry Johnson

TE - Jermichael Finley

K - Rob Bironas

DEF - Dallas
Haven't had my drafts yet, that's why I haven't posted. One is next Sunday, then the following Wednesday

Nice team though. Seeing some peoples teams around the net makes me realize how shallow the WR group is these days.

Some potential steals out there, but man oh man it really pays to get one of the top 5 WR in my mind.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

^7.5

Got the first of 4 drafts starting this Thursday, but I'll be doing a good amount of mocks this until then...

I like this 10 teamer(ppr) I drafted today.

QB - Romo
WR - Moss
WR - Austin
WR - Collie
RB -Charles
RB - Bradwshaw
TE - Celek
D - Phillie
K - Robbie Gould

Bench:
QB - Ryan
WR - Aromashodu, Gafney
RB - Arian Foster, Forte, LT

Didn't go after a RB till the 4th round, but I'm pretty pleased w/ Bradshaw and Charles, especially in a ppr format.

Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 04:39 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Haven't had my drafts yet, that's why I haven't posted. One is next Sunday, then the following Wednesday

Nice team though. Seeing some peoples teams around the net makes me realize how shallow the WR group is these days.

Some potential steals out there, but man oh man it really pays to get one of the top 5 WR in my mind.
I am always about the WR and last year, and especially this year that is the trend. WRs and QBs are going very fast. It is a necessity to have at least 1 stud WR, but I always get at least 2. That philosophy never fails. This year, QB and RB are so deep and some big time players are falling a lot.

Last year I picked 12 out of 12 and my 3 WR were (Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Vincent Jackson), needless to say I of course won the title. This year I got pick 11. I love picking at the end like that, because the WR-WR philosophy works. There are are only about 10 or 11 top, stud WR, and every year I end up with at least 2 of them because of the WR-WR strategy. Of course you need to have a pick at the the back end of the draft, but if you do, trust me. Go WR-WR, you wont regret it.

Now the steal of my draft and even though Im not a big fan of his, was Reggie Bush. I got him in the 11th round. Yes 11th round. When round 11 came around and I saw him still available, I couldnt believe it. That value is just way too much to pass up. I was hoping noone else would notice he was still there and boom, my pick came up and he was there. A no brainer there.

Im not sure what position you are drafting, but from the 6 spot onward, dont hesitate for a WR-WR on your first 2 picks. Anywhere from the 6 spot on, you will get 2 stud WR. You will be absolutey stacked at WR, while everyone else has guys like Santana Moss as their #2 WR. And as if having at least 2 stud WRs isnt good enough, you will still get a very stong QB and a few very strong RBs. You are smart going into your draft with that WR mentality. Trust me, go for it, you wont be disappointed.

Old
08-23-2010, 04:47 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

rate my fantasy team.. I am in a 12 team league. I had 9th pick and took Rice with it.

starters:

QB: Jay Cutler
RB: Ray Rice
RB: Beanie Wells
WR: Calvin Johnson
WR: Steve Smith (car)
WR: Steve Smith (nyg)
TE: Kellen Winslow
DEF/ST: San Fran
K: Nate Kaeding

Bench:

Arian Foster
Matt Stafford
Devery Henderson
Tim Hightower
Julian Edelman
Fred Jackson
Devin Hester

Here is what I think about my bench. Foster may start for me sometimes same with Stafford. What players don't you like on my bench? Will Fred Jackson do good this year? How about Hester and Edelman? And should I keep Hightower or not since I have Beanie Wells?

Some free agents that I put on my watch list are: Jacoby Jones, Devone Bess, Antonio Bryant, Louis Murphy, Legedu Naanee, Early Doucet, Arrelious Benn, Jabar Gaffney, Bernard Scott, Leon Washington.

Would you replace anyone on my bench with any of those?

Last edited by John Cena*: 08-23-2010 at 05:00 PM.
John Cena* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 04:48 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
^7.5

Got the first of 4 drafts starting this Thursday, but I'll be doing a good amount of mocks this until then...

I like this 10 teamer(ppr) I drafted today.

QB - Romo
WR - Moss
WR - Austin
WR - Collie
RB -Charles
RB - Bradwshaw
TE - Celek
D - Phillie
K - Robbie Gould

Bench:
QB - Ryan
WR - Aromashodu, Gafney
RB - Arian Foster, Forte, LT

Didn't go after a RB till the 4th round, but I'm pretty pleased w/ Bradshaw and Charles, especially in a ppr format.
That is a nice team. Love the Charles-Bradshaw combo. Exactly, you dont need to jump at the RB early, plenty are available later.

I've done 10 team leagues before, but they are not as much fun as a 12 team. In 10 team leagues, all the teams are pretty stacked so its not as challenging. Im actually thinking of picking up Gafney off the waiver wire myself, but if I do, I would drop Robinson, and I dont want to give him up just yet as he is a big sleeper of mine this year.

Old
08-23-2010, 04:58 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
rate my fantasy team.. I am in a 12 team league. I had 9th pick and took Rice with it.

starters:

QB: Jay Cutler
RB: Ray Rice
RB: Beanie Well
WR: Calvin Johnson
WR: Steve Smith (car)
WR: Steve Smith (nyg)
TE: Kellen Winslow
DEF/ST: San Fran
K: Nate Kaeding

Bench:

Arian Foster
Matt Stafford
Devery Henderson
Tim Hightower
Julian Edelman
Fred Jackson
Devin Hester

Here is what I think about my bench. Foster may start for me sometimes same with Stafford. What players don't you like on my bench? Will Fred Jackson do good this year? How about Hester and Edelman? And should I keep Hightower or not since I have Beanie Wells?

Some free agents that I put on my watch list are: Jacoby Jones, Devone Bess, Antonio Bryant, Louis Murphy, Legedu Naanee, Early Doucet, Arrelious Benn, Bernard Scott, Leon Washington.

Would you replace anyone on my bench with any of those?
This is the guy to get. With Floyd as the #1, teams will concentrate on him and Gates, and Rivers will be throwing to Nanee all day long. Even deeper at WR, if Mike Williams (TB) is available, get him. He is going to be the #1 WR in Tampa a lot of people dont give it any attention. They think TB, and instantly omit players from them. Hell, Cadillac is falling to the 10th round which is a joke. The guy is a starting RB with no competition and to get a starting RB that late is just ridiculous. You'll be laughing all day as no one else picked him up.

Love the WRs. As you can tell my other posts I am all about the WR. Love Stafford and Foster. Foster will be the starting RB in Houston. Stafford has had a full year to work with CJ, they are both going to explode this year. Great handcuff with Hightower-Wells. Do not get rid of him either of them.

From everything I've heard about Chicago, Hester, Knox and Aromashadu have all had a great offseason. And they will throwing even more with Martz so all CHI WRs are valuable this year, but Aromashadu is becoming Cutlers favorite WR.

Edelmen is good to have as depth because he is another Welker. If Welker goes down, Edelman instantly becomes the #2 in NE again. He obviously wont get big numbers with Welker on the field, but keep him around.

Old
08-23-2010, 05:05 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
This is the guy to get. With Floyd as the #1, teams will concentrate on him and Gates, and Rivers will be throwing to Nanee all day long. Even deeper at WR, if Mike Williams (TB) is available, get him. He is going to be the #1 WR in Tampa a lot of people dont give it any attention. They think TB, and instantly omit players from them. Hell, Cadillac is falling to the 10th round which is a joke. The guy is a starting RB with no competition and to get a starting RB that late is just ridiculous. You'll be laughing all day as no one else picked him up.

Love the WRs. As you can tell my other posts I am all about the WR. Love Stafford and Foster. Foster will be the starting RB in Houston. Stafford has had a full year to work with CJ, they are both going to explode this year. Great handcuff with Hightower-Wells. Do not get rid of him either of them.

From everything I've heard about Chicago, Hester, Knox and Aromashadu have all had a great offseason. And they will throwing even more with Martz so all CHI WRs are valuable this year, but Aromashadu is becoming Cutlers favorite WR.

Edelmen is good to have as depth because he is another Welker. If Welker goes down, Edelman instantly becomes the #2 in NE again. He obviously wont get big numbers with Welker on the field, but keep him around.
Thanks for the advice.

I claimed Henderson but its not official yet I can still cancel it. Should I cancel it and go with Nanee? I forgot to mention Gaffney is available to I heard he is doing great and could be the #1. Should I keep Henderson and cut Hester to go with Naanee?

What do you think about Devery Henderson and Fred Jackson?

Last edited by John Cena*: 08-23-2010 at 05:10 PM.
John Cena* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Rate/critique my team:

It's a 12 team league and we did an auction draft this year

QB: Matt Schaub
RB: Steven Jackson
RB: Deangelo Williams
WR: Reggie Wayne
WR: Desean Jackson
WR: Percy Harvin
TE: Tony Gonzalez
K: Ryan Longwell
D: Saints

BN: Donavan McNabb
BN: Marshawn Lynch
BN: Steve Slaton
BN: Bernard Berrian
BN: Nate Burleson
BN: Heath Miller

Before anyone else says it, I know my bench is pretty bad, especially the RBs. I spent my money on my starters and then just took what was left for my bench. I'll have to get lucky with some waiver pick ups during the bye weeks. What do you guys think?

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 06:38 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
Thanks for the advice.

I claimed Henderson but its not official yet I can still cancel it. Should I cancel it and go with Nanee? I forgot to mention Gaffney is available to I heard he is doing great and could be the #1. Should I keep Henderson and cut Hester to go with Naanee?

What do you think about Devery Henderson and Fred Jackson?
Ive never really been a fan of Henderson. Personally, I would rather keep Hester and get rid of Henderson. If it doesnt work out, Im sure Henderson and others will be availalbe to pick up later.

Im also debating about picking up Gaffney. I just dont want to give up Robinson just yet. My league had 7 bench spots last year, and set this years league up too, but our draft board was only made with 6 bench spots, so we went with 6 this year. It sucks because I would use that extra spot on Gaffney.

Fred Jackson will still touch the ball a lot this year, but I think it will be Spiller's team. They didnt draft him early to not take advantage of his skill. I wouldnt get rid of Jackson because if Spiller doesnt perform or gets hurt, Jackson will be the starter again. I dont think anything has been made official yet about who is the starter, but it could very well be Jackson at the beginning. I would keep him for now or if your not sure, play around with some trade proposals and see you get any bites for Jackson.

Old
08-23-2010, 06:43 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Rate/critique my team:

It's a 12 team league and we did an auction draft this year

QB: Matt Schaub
RB: Steven Jackson
RB: Deangelo Williams
WR: Reggie Wayne
WR: Desean Jackson
WR: Percy Harvin
TE: Tony Gonzalez
K: Ryan Longwell
D: Saints

BN: Donavan McNabb
BN: Marshawn Lynch
BN: Steve Slaton
BN: Bernard Berrian
BN: Nate Burleson
BN: Heath Miller

Before anyone else says it, I know my bench is pretty bad, especially the RBs. I spent my money on my starters and then just took what was left for my bench. I'll have to get lucky with some waiver pick ups during the bye weeks. What do you guys think?
Very strong starting lineup, but yeah, the bench is fairly weak, but its workable. Berrian is nice to have now as Rice and Harvin are dealing with naggin injury issues. Miller is a reliable TE. McNabb is a decent backup. Dont like Lynch unless he gets traded. Burleson could be fairly decent. They brought him in to take the pressure off Megatron so Im sure he will get quite a few passes his way.

Old
08-23-2010, 06:51 PM
OpethianSabre20

Rate my team please.

12 team league, 5th pick.

QB: Matt Ryan, Alex Smith
RB: Frank Gore, Justin Forsett, Cadillac Williams, Laurence Maroney, Ahmad Bradshaw
WR: Calvin Johnson, Steve Smith (Car), Greg Jennings, Malcolm Floyd, Jacoby Jones
TE: Brent Celek
D/ST: Patriots D/ST
K: Joe Nedney

I know the QBs aren't the greatest, but people were taking QBs way earlier than normal, so I stocked up at WR and RB.

Last edited by OpethianSabre20: 08-23-2010 at 06:56 PM.
OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote