Notices

Fantasy Football Advice/Roster Discussion Thread 2011

Old
08-25-2010, 03:31 PM
John Cena*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
What do you guys think of Arian Foster this year, in PPR leagues specifically?

I just did a 12 team mock(6 spot) and took Moss & White in the 1st and 2nd. I ended up drafting Best and Foster as my RB starters. Not super crazy about that, but I did get Caddy and Bradshaw also. So if this was a real team I like those 4 rb's.

Curious on what you guys think about Foster though...
I got him to as my 3rd. I think he is going to have an explosive season he is the #1 for Houston.

John Cena* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 01:39 AM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
What do you guys think of Arian Foster this year, in PPR leagues specifically?
I like Foster quite a bit. They have Slaton returning kicks so that means there's no chance he'll be the starter there. Getting Foster in like the 7th round say could be an absolute steal.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 07:22 AM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Dont Suck Anymore

For those thinking about picking up Gaffney, now is the time to do it. I just did. Thomas hurt his foot again and will miss time and its looking like Gaffney will be the #1 WR in Denver.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Shape
Go Sharks :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
For those thinking about picking up Gaffney, now is the time to do it. I just did. Thomas hurt his foot again and will miss time and its looking like Gaffney will be the #1 WR in Denver.
I've already planned on targeting him in my leagues, so this is some good news.

My first of 4 drafts through Sunday is today. Doing it at lunch with all my co-workers. I'll post my team up afterwards.

Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 01:55 PM
John Cena*

what you guys think about Bradshaw and Wallace? Someone in the league is high on Edelman and I offered him Edelman, Hightower, and Hester for Bradshaw and Wallace.

I'm hoping he does it. I plan on dropping Hester anyway for Gaffney.

Old
08-26-2010, 02:13 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Dont Suck Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
what you guys think about Bradshaw and Wallace? Someone in the league is high on Edelman and I offered him Edelman, Hightower, and Hester for Bradshaw and Wallace.

I'm hoping he does it. I plan on dropping Hester anyway for Gaffney.
The guy would be insane if he accepted that trade. Bradshaw will probably become the starting RB. Apparantly the Giants were thinking of switching Jacobs to be the late in the game back, the same thing Bradshaw was. And Wallace is going to take over the spot Holmes left. No way does Bradshaw/Wallace equal Edelman/Hightower/Hester. If he accepts this trade, you have just commited highway robbery.

Old
08-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Devin Thomas or Jabar Gaffney for my #5 WR?

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 03:18 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I've got my draft on Wednesday, so I don't have my team (or my draft position) yet. But I've been considering something, and thought I'd throw it out there to see what others thought:

I don't think Chris Johnson will be a top-3 fantasy RB this season, and wouldn't draft him 1st overall. Look at the history of 2000-yard rushers in their following season. No one has come close to repeating their performance, and Eric Dickerson's follow-up was the only one that would be considered an upper-echelon fantasy season. Combine that with the fact that every opposing defense will game-plan for CJ even more now (and have much more film to use to devise a strategy) and the talk that the Titans will air it out more, and I think CJ could be a relative fantasy bust.

Am I crazy?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 03:44 PM
John Cena*

Quote:
The guy would be insane if he accepted that trade. Bradshaw will probably become the starting RB. Apparantly the Giants were thinking of switching Jacobs to be the late in the game back, the same thing Bradshaw was. And Wallace is going to take over the spot Holmes left. No way does Bradshaw/Wallace equal Edelman/Hightower/Hester. If he accepts this trade, you have just commited highway robbery.
I canceled it. I'm not ready to give up on Edelman. He shot up on one of my cheat sheets from top60 to top35-30. Idk why but I like it and Welker could suffer an injury again. Also think Edelman is better than Wallace he has the better qb in a passing offense. I only wanted Bradshaw which is why I offered it but I honestly don't need him I got Rice, Wells, and Foster in a league where 2 rbs start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Devin Thomas or Jabar Gaffney for my #5 WR?
Gaffney. I'm dropping Hester right now to sign Gaffney.

Old
08-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Shape

So just drafted my first team of the year. 12 teamer, 9th pick.

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/4278/nvtteam.png

there were 3 auto pickers that screwed me about 3 or 4 times. still hapyy with the team though. love my wideouts.

Old
08-26-2010, 04:27 PM
John Cena*

Uh I really don't wanna drop Hester. I keep thinkin, what if he breaks out this year.

Should I drop Fred Jackson? for Gaffney?

My bench is Foster, Stafford, Hightower, Jackson, Edelman, Hester, and Murphy.

I just signed Murphy and Schillenz got knee surgey I'm high on Murphy. I wanna drop someone for Gaff though what should I do?

Old
08-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
So just drafted my first team of the year. 12 teamer, 9th pick.

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/4278/nvtteam.png

there were 3 auto pickers that screwed me about 3 or 4 times. still hapyy with the team though. love my wideouts.
What are your scoring settings?

Philip Rivers put up 500 points?

We use the standard settings and Chris Johnson was the highest with 370 points in my league.

Old
08-26-2010, 05:11 PM
Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
What are your scoring settings?

Philip Rivers put up 500 points?

We use the standard settings and Chris Johnson was the highest with 370 points in my league.
Completions -.5
Passing Yards - 25 yards per point
Passing Touchdowns 6
Interceptions - 1

I'm guessing you play 4 points per TD?

Old
08-26-2010, 05:11 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Just traded Brady and Moreno for Chris Johnson and Big Ben. I'm losing out on the stud QB, but I get Ben back around week 6 and have Stafford there in the meantime. I also now have Jones-Drew and Johnson as my RB's.

Thinking about seeing if I can trade Ben and maybe a receiver for Flacco, guy who has him also has Peyton.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Completions -.5
Passing Yards - 25 yards per point
Passing Touchdowns 6
Interceptions - 1

I'm guessing you play 4 points per TD?
We don't have anything for completions.

Old
08-26-2010, 05:28 PM
John Cena*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Just traded Brady and Moreno for Chris Johnson and Big Ben. I'm losing out on the stud QB, but I get Ben back around week 6 and have Stafford there in the meantime. I also now have Jones-Drew and Johnson as my RB's.

Thinking about seeing if I can trade Ben and maybe a receiver for Flacco, guy who has him also has Peyton.
Don't go for Flacco. Stick with Stafford he is going to have an amazing season. He has been nothing but great in preseason. I got him as my backup right now behind Cutler but you could bet I will be starting Stafford a lot of weeks.

Old
08-26-2010, 05:30 PM
John Cena*

Quote:
Who did you drop for Gaffney?

EDIT:

forget everything I said if you read it. I'm not trading anyone on my bench. I just dropped Hester though for Gaffney that is official. I'm not giving up on Hightower or Jackson. In espns fantasy draft, Jackson went 72nd overall over guys like Jacobs, Bradshaw, Cadillac, and others. In my league I drafted Jackson 136th overall. That's a steal. Also in espns league, Hightower went 100th overall, I got him 160th overall. Another steal.

Last edited by John Cena*: 08-26-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old
08-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Don't go for Flacco. Stick with Stafford he is going to have an amazing season. He has been nothing but great in preseason. I got him as my backup right now behind Cutler but you could bet I will be starting Stafford a lot of weeks.
We have a flex position when you can play everyone, including a QB spot, so I was thinking about going after another QB. I have a good feeling about Stafford this season, too, but I don't about trusting him the whole season just yet. I'll earn a lot of points with MJD and Johnson, too, though. I'll be fine once Ben comes back, but, he could be shaky, so I'm not too sure.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 08:13 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Dont Suck Anymore

Quote:
Who did you drop for Gaffney?

EDIT:

forget everything I said if you read it. I'm not trading anyone on my bench. I just dropped Hester though for Gaffney that is official. I'm not giving up on Hightower or Jackson. In espns fantasy draft, Jackson went 72nd overall over guys like Jacobs, Bradshaw, Cadillac, and others. In my league I drafted Jackson 136th overall. That's a steal. Also in espns league, Hightower went 100th overall, I got him 160th overall. Another steal.
I dropped Larry Johnson. I sure as hell wasnt dropping Robinson, and the latest I read on LJ is that now he may not even make the team. About 2 weeks ago they said he was having a fantastic offseason, now it says he's been horrible.

Old
08-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Big Poppa Puck
SAWFT!

Donnie Avery out for season lovin my Laurent Robinson pick even more got him round 12 in a 12 team league.

Got 2 more drafts this weekend(10 team and 16 team) think ill have to draft L-Rob higher now? or do people still stay away from all Rams save S-Jax?

As for the team i drafted already i had 1st pick and took Peterson.

QB Brett Favre(5th)
RB Adrian Peterson(1st)
RB Jonathan Stewart(4th)
WR Larry Fitzgerald(2nd)
WR Roddy White(3rd)
WR Kenny Britt(9th)
TE Tony Gonzalez(6th)
DST Steelers(13th)
K Robbie Gould(16th)

BN QB Eli Manning(7th)
BN RB Felix Jones(8th)
BN RB Ricky Williams(10th)
BN WR Jerricho Cotchery(11th)
BN WR Laurent Robinson(12th)
BN WR Mike Thomas(14th)
BN TE Jermain Gresham(15th)

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 03:51 AM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I don't think Chris Johnson will be a top-3 fantasy RB this season, and wouldn't draft him 1st overall. Look at the history of 2000-yard rushers in their following season. No one has come close to repeating their performance, and Eric Dickerson's follow-up was the only one that would be considered an upper-echelon fantasy season. Combine that with the fact that every opposing defense will game-plan for CJ even more now (and have much more film to use to devise a strategy) and the talk that the Titans will air it out more, and I think CJ could be a relative fantasy bust.

Am I crazy?
I wouldn't say you're crazy, but there definitely aren't a whole lot of leagues where CJ will be there after the first three picks. You could argue in a PPR league (again, assuming you think CJ will have a bad year) that you'd prefer AP, MJD, and Ray Rice, but I personally wouldn't. I don't see the point in gambling that early in the draft.

Also, everyone loves to point out that no 2,000 yard rusher had a good following year. OJ did it over 35 years ago, so that is essentially irrelevant IMO. Dickerson, 25 years ago, so again, kinda eh. Plus he still had 1,200 and 12. Which granted isn't top pick material, but not terrible. Barry Sanders, still had nearly 1,500 yards and 300 receiving. Only the TDs were down. More a function of the team. Terrell Davis, career was over after that season. More a fluke than anything else. Jamal Lewis, essentially his only good year. Pretty much a fluke. Chris Johnson is also younger (and I would assume faster) than anyone who has ever done it. I'm not saying I think he'll have 2,000 yards rushing again (because he had some huge plays last year. Can't expect 5 plays of 66+ yards again), but I'd definitely be surprised if he had a bad year. He had over 140 total yards in each of the final TEN games of the year (once Vince Young was starting). The guy is a flat out beast.

Quote:
I canceled it. I'm not ready to give up on Edelman. He shot up on one of my cheat sheets from top60 to top35-30. Idk why but I like it and Welker could suffer an injury again. Also think Edelman is better than Wallace he has the better qb in a passing offense. I only wanted Bradshaw which is why I offered it but I honestly don't need him I got Rice, Wells, and Foster in a league where 2 rbs start..
That was a real good deal. As was mentioned, I think Bradshaw will be the guy there, and Wallace will without question (IMO) have a better season than Edelman. Only way that doesn't happen is if Welker misses significant time, so you're essentially banking on that. As you mentioned though, your backs should be fine because I see Foster definitely being the guy there.

Quote:
I dropped Larry Johnson. I sure as hell wasnt dropping Robinson, and the latest I read on LJ is that now he may not even make the team. About 2 weeks ago they said he was having a fantastic offseason, now it says he's been horrible.
LJ is garbage and is beyond done. Ryan Torain will be the backup there, and when Portis gets hurt he'll be the starter. Mark it down.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 08:02 AM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Dont Suck Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
Donnie Avery out for season lovin my Laurent Robinson pick even more got him round 12 in a 12 team league.

Got 2 more drafts this weekend(10 team and 16 team) think ill have to draft L-Rob higher now? or do people still stay away from all Rams save S-Jax?

As for the team i drafted already i had 1st pick and took Peterson.

QB Brett Favre(5th)
RB Adrian Peterson(1st)
RB Jonathan Stewart(4th)
WR Larry Fitzgerald(2nd)
WR Roddy White(3rd)
WR Kenny Britt(9th)
TE Tony Gonzalez(6th)
DST Steelers(13th)
K Robbie Gould(16th)

BN QB Eli Manning(7th)
BN RB Felix Jones(8th)
BN RB Ricky Williams(10th)
BN WR Jerricho Cotchery(11th)
BN WR Laurent Robinson(12th)
BN WR Mike Thomas(14th)
BN TE Jermain Gresham(15th)
Woah, when did this happen? I just woke up and havent had a chance to check around the league for info yet.

Very nice team though.

Old
08-27-2010, 08:37 AM
Big Poppa Puck
SAWFT!

Quote:
Woah, when did this happen? I just woke up and havent had a chance to check around the league for info yet.

Very nice team though.
Last night in the preseason game. Spagnolo said its a "Serious knee injury" they fear he tore his ACL and MCL

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Vladiator16*

Had my draft last night around 10 pm, bad idea, by that time everyone was pretty much hammered (we started with pre-draft drinking around 7).
So… this is what I ended up with:

Brett Favre, Min QB
Maurice Jones-Drew, Jac RB
Rashard Mendenhall, Pit RB
Jamaal Charles, KC RB
Steve Smith, Car WR
Dwayne Bowe, KC WR
Visanthe Shiancoe, Min TE
Steelers D/ST, Pit D/ST
Stephen Gostkowski, NE K

Ricky Williams, Mia RB
Jeremy Maclin, Phi WR
Braylon Edwards, NYJ WR
David Garrard, Jac QB
Jay Feely, Ari K
Kevin Boss, NYG TE
Bears D/ST, Chi D/ST

10 team league. If anybody cares to critic it or suggest something, please do so. Thanks.

Vladiator16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 04:44 PM
Shape

^good team. i'de think about packaging one of your rb's for another wideout though.

what do you guys think about kickers? this year in the 2 leagues i'm commish i took out the kicker and added a flex (w/r/t).

they're just so damn pointless and there's no strategy in drafting them. i think it will make the leagues more competitive.