HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pacioretty - will he make the team this year?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-16-2010, 12:56 AM
  #151
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I shouldn't have been so dismissive with the wording. Yes, he has progressed and definitely matured, I meant to say he hasn't progressed "enough" or "much".
we should have our answer this year with Obyrne... He is one player I am anxious to see ... just to measure the step he has made from last year ...

In any case, I do remember Jacques Martin saying O'Byrne was one defender he was interested in when he was GM for the panthers. Pretty sure he's going to have a shot at it from the get go.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 06:35 AM
  #152
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 32,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
we should have our answer this year with Obyrne... He is one player I am anxious to see ... just to measure the step he has made from last year ...

In any case, I do remember Jacques Martin saying O'Byrne was one defender he was interested in when he was GM for the panthers. Pretty sure he's going to have a shot at it from the get go.
If Jacques Martin likes O'byrne, then he should start cutting him some slack, not benching him for extended periods at the first mistake. O'byrne got no slack yet MAB kept getting tons of ice time despite screw up after screw up trying to be Markov.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 03:02 PM
  #153
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If Jacques Martin likes O'byrne, then he should start cutting him some slack, not benching him for extended periods at the first mistake. O'byrne got no slack yet MAB kept getting tons of ice time despite screw up after screw up trying to be Markov.
MAB played mostly on the pp ... very little 5 on 5 icetime. with players like Gorges and Gill playing more minutes in the playoffs, it wasnt a bad move to take MAB vs obyrne, imho.

Being strict with Obyrne is the right approach. Not playing well defensively ? on the bench. He can't makeup for it offensively... and defensively he's getting better and better every year... imo.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 03:13 PM
  #154
Joe Cole
Registered User
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,207
vCash: 500
He just looks "like a dog that's been beat too much"

The guy needs to get his mojo back. Without it, he is toast.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:24 PM
  #155
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 32,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
MAB played mostly on the pp ... very little 5 on 5 icetime. with players like Gorges and Gill playing more minutes in the playoffs, it wasnt a bad move to take MAB vs obyrne, imho.

Being strict with Obyrne is the right approach. Not playing well defensively ? on the bench. He can't makeup for it offensively... and defensively he's getting better and better every year... imo.
If you show no confidence in your young players how do you expect them to have it in themselves. I see O'byrne turning into a similar situation than Latendresse and flourishing elswhere, meanswhile we'll be busy looking for a big d-man who can play physical.

MAB did not just play PP in the playoffs, he got a lot of 5 on 5 ice time.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 07:06 PM
  #156
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I see O'byrne turning into a similar situation than Latendresse and flourishing elswhere, meanswhile we'll be busy looking for a big d-man who can play physical.
The Montreal Canadiens are really good at developing defencemen. I think he'll continue to grow into a regular role with the team over the next two years.

We developed Komisarek really well but he didn't flourish after we left. Our system supports dmen alot more than others do.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:42 PM
  #157
habspinner
Registered User
 
habspinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 500
So can we say that he has arrived? He looked really good tonight with Pleks and Gio. I found he looked a bit uncomfortable last night but was better as the game went on. In this game tonight I thought he did a lot of little things well, and drove the net very well. You can tell a lot of his assists are going to come from rebounds after driving the net.

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:45 PM
  #158
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 14,987
vCash: 500
He's come a long way. So glad that a kid finally gets that a garbage goal is not less important then a deke or a shot from a distance. He takes the hits, he charges the net and he makes excellent decisions with the puck when he steps in the offensive zone. Please Martin, do not take him out of the top 6 ever!

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:09 PM
  #159
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,203
vCash: 500
He imposes himself. Last time around he had a hard time getting close to the puck, now he's keeping it all to himself. Love it.

Even though he might not be an offensive dynamo, I think fans will (should) be content with him rounding up to a 20-20 or 30-20 kind of player.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:04 AM
  #160
Zeroknowledge*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Facing a PC
Posts: 1,644
vCash: 500
Ever since he was recalled this year, he's looked good, had few rough stretches, but that is to be expected. He's looking good out there, if he turns out to be a faster version of Ryan Malone, I'd be more than happy. People shouldn't expect huge numbers I'd say his upside is 30-30 on a good season, otherwise I see him more as a 50 point player.

Glad the organization didn't give up on the kid.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:17 AM
  #161
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,141
vCash: 500
Everyday he reminds me more and more of Ryan Smyth. He doesn't have the best wrist or slap shot, but ever since he started driving the net his game has gotten way better. The play he made on the Gionta goal tonight is what I've been yelling at the TV for players to do since forever. Only good things can happen if you drive the net with the puck; you might score, you might put in your own rebound, it might go in off a defender, your teammate might knock home the rebound. It's so simple yet so few on this team seem to get it, or have the speed and build to make it happen. Pacioretty has it and is doing it; too bad AK, Pouliot and Eller aren't either. I guess one can only pray that those guys are watching and taking notes, because it's not like they don't have it in them to do the same fracking thing...

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:25 AM
  #162
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,483
vCash: 500
There's no hesitation in his play right now. That's a clear sign that patches confidence is where it needs to be... hopefully, it stays that way.

He's not getting pummeled with his head down anymore, and he looks much stronger on his skates compared to seasons before.

He's figuring the game out at the nhl level and its exciting to watch.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 07:40 AM
  #163
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 32,667
vCash: 500
Those 2+ months in the AHL did wonders for his game. He plays his size now in the power game and uses his speed to drive the net. He has 3-3-6 in the 5 games since the Buffalo game where he got hit by the puck.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 07:56 AM
  #164
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
He's not getting pummeled with his head down anymore, and he looks much stronger on his skates compared to seasons before.
I like how he has learned to take strong quick strides in the offensive zone, instead of last year always having a wide spread out stance when the puck was on his stick.

His board work and in front of the net is I think his most improved part of the game though.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 08:56 AM
  #165
Megaforce
Registered User
 
Megaforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: St. Raymond NDG/Mtl
Country: Azerbaijan
Posts: 1,393
vCash: 500
He demonstrated an impressive quick release on a camouflaged writer on that game tying goal against Boston a few weeks back.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:58 AM
  #166
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 20,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
Everyday he reminds me more and more of Ryan Smyth. He doesn't have the best wrist or slap shot, but ever since he started driving the net his game has gotten way better. The play he made on the Gionta goal tonight is what I've been yelling at the TV for players to do since forever. Only good things can happen if you drive the net with the puck; you might score, you might put in your own rebound, it might go in off a defender, your teammate might knock home the rebound. It's so simple yet so few on this team seem to get it, or have the speed and build to make it happen. Pacioretty has it and is doing it; too bad AK, Pouliot and Eller aren't either. I guess one can only pray that those guys are watching and taking notes, because it's not like they don't have it in them to do the same fracking thing...
Agreed...loved how he took the puck outside around the dman, drove wide and then cut in towards the net.

Benoit Pouliot needs to watch that reply over and over and over again...can't call how many times Pouliot shies away from driving to the net. It's a shame, i like Pouliot, he really has all the tools but it's like he doesn't realize how dominant he can be.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:07 AM
  #167
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
I gotta give it to Max, he has really progressed. He is tenacious and has definitely added strength. His puck skills have also either improved, or just the fact he is alot more comfortable and confident has lead to him looking like a legit top liner. Definitely a big part of this team going forward.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:09 AM
  #168
walsy37
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If you show no confidence in your young players how do you expect them to have it in themselves. I see O'byrne turning into a similar situation than Latendresse and flourishing elswhere, meanswhile we'll be busy looking for a big d-man who can play physical.

MAB did not just play PP in the playoffs, he got a lot of 5 on 5 ice time.
Prophetic.

walsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:20 AM
  #169
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
For some reason I'm starting to feel really good about this kid. Yeah his play has to do with it but he fights hard and plays a good game.

I could honestly see him pulling a Plekanec and being a solid NHL forward in a couple years, the kind of guy other teams will cream over.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:21 AM
  #170
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 32,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by walsy37 View Post
Prophetic.
I was reading that post yesterday

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:31 AM
  #171
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 24,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Those 2+ months in the AHL did wonders for his game. He plays his size now in the power game and uses his speed to drive the net. He has 3-3-6 in the 5 games since the Buffalo game where he got hit by the puck.
Funny how much his game changed when he got paired up with Desharnais. In the past in Hamilton he would be on the outside more and was a pass first kind of player but this year he was racking up the goals, many from great setups by DD. Now he looks very confident, the move he made last night on the Gio game winner, is something he wouldn't have tried in his past NHL callups. Great to see him not only get back on track but now he's starting to show that he can score at the NHL level in a top 6 role.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:34 AM
  #172
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 32,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Funny how much his game changed when he got paired up with Desharnais. In the past in Hamilton he would be on the outside more and was a pass first kind of player but this year he was racking up the goals, many from great setups by DD. Now he looks very confident, the move he made last night on the Gio game winner, is something he wouldn't have tried in his past NHL callups. Great to see him not only get back on track but now he's starting to show that he can score at the NHL level in a top 6 role.
I'm sure getting shots off and driving the net are things the Habs have been harping on for 2+ years, it's not just as a result of playing with Desharnais...though it's easier to be more of a shooter than playmaker when you have a playmaker on your line.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:41 AM
  #173
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 24,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I'm sure getting shots off and driving the net are things the Habs have been harping on for 2+ years, it's not just as a result of playing with Desharnais...though it's easier to be more of a shooter than playmaker when you have a playmaker on your line.
They may have harped on it, but he clearly wasn't getting the message then, especially in his NHL callups. But then he goes to Hamilton, ends up with DD and now he's looking like he's full of confidence and doing what we hoped he would do, be a big body with speed that goes to the net hard. Personally I think that DD setting him up with so many cookies that led to goals, would have done wonders for his confidence.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:08 PM
  #174
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 32,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
They may have harped on it, but he clearly wasn't getting the message then, especially in his NHL callups. But then he goes to Hamilton, ends up with DD and now he's looking like he's full of confidence and doing what we hoped he would do, be a big body with speed that goes to the net hard. Personally I think that DD setting him up with so many cookies that led to goals, would have done wonders for his confidence.
I think in his prior callups he was not mentally or physically ready to be a full time NHLer. They rushed him out of Michigan then up to the NHL both at least a year too soon...good to see his development back on track though.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:40 PM
  #175
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,077
vCash: 500
While playing with Desharnais in Hmilton may have been beneficial he's long past the training stage and now he can play on any top line and make it better. I think that this thread should be retired because there's no longer any doubt about his future.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.