HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pacioretty - will he make the team this year?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-10-2012, 01:51 PM
  #201
BlackStar
Registered User
 
BlackStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Gotta be all that Bison meat.

Yes! Yes!

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 02:43 PM
  #202
Gally11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,632
vCash: 500
Its funny reading past comments on him.. Shows how much we know haha

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 02:45 PM
  #203
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 34,283
vCash: 256
The only reason he is this good is because of DD

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 02:49 PM
  #204
knuck
On and off fan
 
knuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
Its funny reading past comments on him.. Shows how much we know haha
Yeah this thread was sweet to read

I have to admit I also doubted Pacioretty back in the days but I am very glad to be proven wrong

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 02:54 PM
  #205
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
The best
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 58,128
vCash: 567
The amazing part is how all but 1 of the 22 goals are at even strength.

Last year 7 of his 14 goals were on the PP.

Also, for all the flack Gauthier and Martin gets/got, sending Pacioretty down at the start of last season was absolutely the right call made by them and it could be the difference between a bust and a legit all-star PF.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 03:25 PM
  #206
Fire Everyone
Especially you
 
Fire Everyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Moreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Also, for all the flack Gauthier and Martin gets/got, sending Pacioretty down at the start of last season was absolutely the right call made by them and it could be the difference between a bust and a legit all-star PF.
If I recall correctly, Pacioretty asked to be sent down.

By the way, Pacioretty is not a power forward. That's something that people just don't seem to want to accept.

Fire Everyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 03:34 PM
  #207
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
If I recall correctly, Pacioretty asked to be sent down.

By the way, Pacioretty is not a power forward. That's something that people just don't seem to want to accept.
That depends on your definition of power forward. Which tends to vary greatly from person to person.

The old-school Cam Neely type has largely disappeared so there are a bunch of new definitions.

Pacioretty would definitively get more consideration for PF status if they had him playing net-man on the powerplay like last year (where he was great) rather than the Cammalleri/Kovalev role on the half-boards. That's probably more a coaching decision than not having the ability though.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 03:49 PM
  #208
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
That depends on your definition of power forward. Which tends to vary greatly from person to person.

The old-school Cam Neely type has largely disappeared so there are a bunch of new definitions.

Pacioretty would definitively get more consideration for PF status if they had him playing net-man on the powerplay like last year (where he was great) rather than the Cammalleri/Kovalev role on the half-boards. That's probably more a coaching decision than not having the ability though.
I think the the general definition of the PWF has changed in todays NHL, not many Cam Neely type left like you said, and the new breed are most like Patches/JVR/Kane, all big bodies that hit here and there, but got speed and soft hands.

I will say this tho, last year and before that Patches was at more physical, one factor has to be the Chara accident, and he said in an interview after the Letang suspension that he doesn't know what to do something when he has a chance to line someone up because he doesn't know what is league or something (he said something like that).

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 03:50 PM
  #209
Cyclones Rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,411
vCash: 500
Interesting older article (Jan 2011) about MP. Hits upon Power Forward definition among other things.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...n-seeking.html

Quote:
The biggest problem with my development was knowing exactly what a power forward is, because you see Alex Ovechkin is a power forward and then a third- or fourth-line guy is a power forward as well," the 21-year-old said Monday. "The balance between playing physical and trying to add offence is hard to find, and it's something I've definitely found this year through lots of video and conversations with the coaches."

Quote:
His five-foot-seven Hamilton linemate David Desharnais, who set up many of his goals, has also been with the Canadiens for the last three games. Desharnais led Hamilton with 78 points last season and was tearing up the AHL again with 45 points in 35 games.

"Down there, we were playing well and winning, so when you come up here, you don't change your habits," the Quebec City native said. "Max is working a little harder now. He knows it's not going to come easy. He's a great player and when he works hard, he's an awesome player."

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 03:58 PM
  #210
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Greenland
Posts: 25,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
The amazing part is how all but 1 of the 22 goals are at even strength.

Last year 7 of his 14 goals were on the PP.

Also, for all the flack Gauthier and Martin gets/got, sending Pacioretty down at the start of last season was absolutely the right call made by them and it could be the difference between a bust and a legit all-star PF.
The Randy's should also get some credit, as things started going really well for Max when he was put on a line with Desharnias in Hamilton early last season.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 04:24 PM
  #211
Godzilla
Registered User
 
Godzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Short answer: No

Long answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
This answer was a classic...

Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:46 PM
  #212
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
The Randy's should also get some credit, as things started going really well for Max when he was put on a line with Desharnias in Hamilton early last season.
Absolutely. Patch got some heat for saying that he'd prefer to get top minutes in Hamilton rather than 4th line in Montreal, but it was the right thing to do. Neither Gauthier nor Martin did anything until he opened his mouth.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 07:11 PM
  #213
Evil Ted
Registered User
 
Evil Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,656
vCash: 500
I was worried about Patches because he is a bit reckless out there at times putting his body at risk but since he was thumped by Chara he seems to have tightened up his game. Watching him compared to some other young players(Hall/Skinner) he shows great awareness of whats happening on the ice good for him. These threads are fun I am eating some crow right now because I never thought DD would be a consistent threat but hes proving otherwise.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 07:26 PM
  #214
Fire Everyone
Especially you
 
Fire Everyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Moreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
the new breed are most like Patches/JVR/Kane, all big bodies that hit here and there, but got speed and soft hands.
Would you consider Kovalev to be a power forward?

Fire Everyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:03 PM
  #215
Face81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 145
vCash: 500
I,m pretty sure he'll be making the team next year. Just saying..

Face81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:40 PM
  #216
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc* View Post
Pacioretty is another one of those great Timmins first] round pick. This guy does not have any hockey sense. He looks a bit like Chad Kilger, great size, nice speed, clueless on the ice.
Well well well, i guess we were wrong huh ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
I actually kind of agree, but I still think there's hope for him.
Agreeing with him huh ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Paccioretty is underrated by the fans. He has everything to become a solid NHLer. But it will take a few years.

Le Mad !!

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 08:52 PM
  #217
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
^^^

Oh well, looks like Patofqc was a member here before. He hasn't changed much though.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 09:05 PM
  #218
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,535
vCash: 725
I didn't write in that thread, but in another one, I mentioned how he was not going to make the team in 2010-2011, that we shouldn't rush him like we did by playing him only 1 year in the NCAA, that we should take some time with him and he should develop offensively. There was one thread when somebody compared McPhee to him and I said that while it was not somebody too awful to be compared, I was not expecting it, 'cause I expected Max to develop an offensive game.

Now for all the flack some people in here are getting for calling him a 3rd liner, just realized that it was the exact same question mark MOST scouts had at the time. That would be professionnal scouts we are talking about. So Max developed his offensive game by becoming bigger, better and having more confidence in him. That's all. And good for us. I seriously can't believe people who keep underestimating what confidence does to a player. How about remembering it at one point?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 09:38 PM
  #219
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score
 
MoldyCakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland native
Country: United States
Posts: 7,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I didn't write in that thread, but in another one, I mentioned how he was not going to make the team in 2010-2011, that we shouldn't rush him like we did by playing him only 1 year in the NCAA, that we should take some time with him and he should develop offensively. There was one thread when somebody compared McPhee to him and I said that while it was not somebody too awful to be compared, I was not expecting it, 'cause I expected Max to develop an offensive game.

Now for all the flack some people in here are getting for calling him a 3rd liner, just realized that it was the exact same question mark MOST scouts had at the time. That would be professionnal scouts we are talking about. So Max developed his offensive game by becoming bigger, better and having more confidence in him. That's all. And good for us. I seriously can't believe people who keep underestimating what confidence does to a player. How about remembering it at one point?
Didn't you know? Feelings and emotions don't exist in hockey players because you can't "measure" them. Therefore, they're all sociopaths or autistic.

MoldyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:27 PM
  #220
Nicko999
Registered User
 
Nicko999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,370
vCash: 2100
Pacioretty is scoring ES goals this season at a faster pace than Corey Perry last season.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:56 PM
  #221
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
My feeling on Pacioretty is,

People who expect him to become a true offensive powerforward who scores goals around the net will be disappointed. Hey, maybe he will find his scoring touch, but generally, it's hard to become a scorer when you've never really been a scorer in the lower leagues.

People who expect him to become a good physical player between a lower-tier top-6 or a good third liner, who disturb the opposition defense line by his hustle, his speed and his size, are going to be pleased.

Someone else (maybe in another thread) mentioned that he believe Pacioretty will become a better player than Pouliot. I disagree. Pouliot hands set him appart. But Pacioretty can still fulfill a pretty good role in the habs, just not in the same way.
Damn. In my memories I had a much higher opinion of Pacioretty than this. And the comparison with Pouliot... what a massive fail.

In my defense, who would have expected him to become our top scorer?

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:17 PM
  #222
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,266
vCash: 500
Classic PatofQC down this thread

Oh and anyway, Do i need to say that i had my Patches shirt since the centenial

Yup !

I'm the man praise the god.

I also have eller, P.K., AK, Kovy and i'm maybe planning opn buying a Bournival for next year

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:26 PM
  #223
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 24,978
vCash: 500
Even funnier threads involving people's opinion of MaxPac can be necromanced, I assure you.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.