HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Advice for first time captain?

Old
08-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Devil Dancer

vCash: 500
Advice for first time captain?

Do any of you beer league captains (or players) have any advice for first time captains? The captain of my C league team asked me to take over the team, and I'm wondering if there's anything I should know.

Thanks!

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:02 PM
puckmelongtime

Lead by example.

puckmelongtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

Keep your emotions in check. Also, in big games don't tell your teammates you're nervous, even if you are.

Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Balls Mahoney
wants more Sesito

Letting people blast you in the face with their fists is considered inspired and captain material.

...And bang every chick possible, it's what the Captain does.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Roof Daddy

As a captain, it is your responsibility to make sure nobody brings light beer for after the game. I mean, would you really go to war with somebody who drinks light beer?

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:26 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Defend your team mates. Play solid defense. Leave it all on the ice.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Anasazi

Getzlaf is that you?

Anasazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Do any of you beer league captains (or players) have any advice for first time captains? The captain of my C league team asked me to take over the team, and I'm wondering if there's anything I should know.

Thanks!
Captaining is hard, you will never be able to meet everyones' needs, just do the best job you can. Producing wins is even harder if the team struggles.

You will always have someone who wants to play on a line with someone else, and nearly no-one will want to play defense.

Here's what I found works best:

-Goalies should almost never pay league dues. They pay a lot for those pads so split their dues evenly among your team. Typically at most its' about 15 extra per player.

-Try to keep your lines and pairings the same as much as possible. This works well with building team chemistry, as players will eventually know their what their pairings and linemates tend to do.

-Figure out a beer rotation for your team. Win or lose, beer is always a nice treat in the end. Our team took a broken stick and cut the end off of it(about 6-8 inches worth), and we give it to the next guy when it's his time to get beer so he doesn't forget when he packs his bag for the next game. "You got the shaft...means you get the beer."

-Always try to be cool with the refs. Beer league refs miss a lot or make bad calls. A LOT of refs hate it when you have an entire bench yelling at them. The more people yell at them, the less slack they are going to give you. Remind your time to shut up at the refs.

-Set a roster at 13-15 guys, with about 5-7 subs depending on how many your league allows. It's always key to use subs so you can have an even number of forwards. (3 lines max, don't use 4), and with Defense, I think 2 pairings work best, but you can do 3.

-Get a good sub list! Don't hesitate to call subs when players can't play, and keep everything as even as possible. 5 Defenseman sucks, trust me, 3 defenseman is awful, and 3 sets of wingers with just 2 centers also doesn't work well.

Shoot for three lines(9 players) and 2-3 D pairings. It's also important that you have many sub goalies.

Every roster is different it will have strengths and weakness. You will have to figure out what is needed to be improved on.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Defend your team mates. Play solid defense. Leave it all on the ice.
Ummm, generally captain duties on a beer league team aren't much like those on a competitive team. All of the cliches are nice, but really as the captain of a beer league team your job is more organizer than leader. Just make sure people know when the games are, that your team is registered and payed for (collecting money can be a hassle, start early), and try to make friends with the refs.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 06:43 PM
noobman

Well for a beer leaguer what this means is that you're going to be responsible for things like ordering jerseys, collecting money, making league payments, sending out the e-mail or making the phone call to remind everyone that the game starts at 9:20 (not 9:30) etc etc.

You'll also be the guy going to those annoying league meetings where they tell you about waivers, liability, league insurance, and things of that nature.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
5 Defenseman sucks, trust me, 3 defenseman is awful, and 3 sets of wingers with just 2 centers also doesn't work well.
Here's something I'm not familiar with, since I don't play D. What's so bad about having 5 D? Is it just that you don't get a regular pairing, or is there more to it than that?

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anasazi View Post
Getzlaf is that you?
I laughed...

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:34 PM
greyraven8

"generally captain duties on a beer league team aren't much like those on a competitive team."

yes, being a beer league team rep. is more of a pain in the ass than just being a captain of any team - you are more of a g.m. with all the hassles and none of the perks.

get your regular's money up front before the start of the season. with any spares - get the money for the game in the dressing room before the start of the game; no money then tell them to go home.
i don't say this to be a jerk, but you don't want to spend all your time trying to get money owed to you. the majority of guys are good to their word, but there are enough free loaders out there to make your life miserable.

if you are redoing and printing out a schedule from one with all the teams in league's games to one of just your own team's games to give to your players - double check it before printing it out and photocopying it.

sponsor - if you have one they may give you a little bit of money or possibly a set of jerseys. if it's a bar, they will probably want at the minimum a handful or more of your players regularly showing up there after the game.

jerseys - always good to have a few extras especially if your team's colours are unusual and you have more than a few spares; if you don't have enough you may find some the right colour at yard sales or thrift stores, or if some of the players on your team are able to sell/loan extras of their own even better.

try to get guys to tell you or phone you when they aren't going to be there - many say they will, but few do. few is always better than none though.

if you are playing d, get one of the more reliable forwards to organize the forward lines (or vice versa). decide on lines/pairings in the dressing room before you hit the ice.

find out if your regular goalie is paying anything - i've heard it varies between paying nothing, paying full price, and paying 1/2. when i took over the team the goalie was paying 1/2 or just under. make sure you know when you goalie can't make a game well in advance if possible so you can find a substitute. if possible have a long list of spare goalies because many won't be available for the games you need them. find out if you have a player on your team that plays some goal, he will better than nothing if you can't find anyone at the last minute.

listen to legitimate gripes about other players on your team, but remember usually the one(s) doing the most frequent *****ing are usually the ones causing the most trouble.

don't go with less defence just to make sure the forwards have even lines - better to have an extra centre or one less centre (especially if your centres are above average forwards in good physical shape) than not have enough defence. 3 defence is definitely too few especially when playing against a better team. when we had 14 players show up, i personally didn't mind the 5 defence set up (unlike a previous poster).

remember you can't please all of the people, all of the time - the trick is to quit trying.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:21 AM
SouthpawTRK

Quote:
Here's something I'm not familiar with, since I don't play D. What's so bad about having 5 D? Is it just that you don't get a regular pairing, or is there more to it than that?
Since the beginning of the beer league I joined for the summer and that I am on D; I'd rather have five players on D than four (I'd rather have six on D than 5). If you only have four D, then your D men get more ice time, but less time to recharge. Having five D, you get a little more rest than four D. Having six D is ideal since you have steady lines and more time to recharge. I know that some guys might say they'd rather have more ice time, but it's a beer league and not everyone is in prime shape or have top end endurance. The age range on our team is from 18 to 49.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 10:01 AM
rinkrat22

Having run beer league teams for the last 15 years, the biggest piece of advice I can give is DONT DO IT

Now if you still want to do it remember this:

some guys just ***** about everything

some guys show up all the time, and others hockey is the thing they do if they don't have anything else to do

Get your money before the season starts

I usually add an extra $20-30 to everyone's fees and I use that to buy the beer every week ( nothing worse than the guy who is supposed to buy it and doesn't show up)

beer league refs are there for the $50, I have seen more icings waved off than I can remember. (and I'm a ref) so don't ***** at them. the more you complain the more they are gonna f@#$ yo over.

everyone has to go to work the next day, try to keep games on the lighter side. I find that from the beginning of the game if I joke around with the other team it puts everyone kinda at ease. who really wants to go to work with a black eye, right?

remember if you have young single guys and older married guys on the same team that their reasons for playing are different. old guys want a night out away from their old ladies, young guys are gonna miss games just for the chance at getting laid. so plan accordingly.

some guys have mentioned about how many guys to have on your roster. personally we carry about 18 guys. for the maybe 2 games a session that everyone shows up the limited amount of whining that happens its worth the knowledge that most games you will have enough skaters on a week to week basis without having to chase down subs. most guys are gonna tell you last minute that they cant make it. how many people do you know that you can call an hour before a game to come and sub?

a great locker room is more important than a great hockey team. There are no scouts in the stands. Our youngest guy aged out of juniors about 2 years ago. one of our dmen was a goalie in the A until he got his knee blown out. our oldest is 45. we have a wide mix of skill level. most of our guys are athletes. they may have just not played much hockey. I even have a couple of guys like happy gilmore, great shots but cant skate for sh^t. But we are like a family, guys are tough on each other on the ice, because we expect to play well. when we get to the locker room its just a bunch of buddies drinking beer. usually the rink manager has to kick us out of the room so they can go home. 22 y/o's and 40 somethings hanging out BSing.

Last edited by rinkrat22: 08-09-2010 at 10:10 AM.
rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Pog Form

From my beer league experience, team captain does not always equal team rep. They are two separate roles, though they are sometimes filled by the same person. A team rep is almost like a general manager; your job is to recruit guys, collect money, make sure they know what time the games are, liaise with the league organizer(s), etc. A captain's role is to provide hockey leadership not organizational/logistical leadership. It's C-level beer league, so your primary job is to make sure that everyone gets along and has some fun both in the room and on the ice. You might also be responsible for taking the reigns in determining lines, though that is sometimes decided by committee. On the ice, you are the team's spokesperson when dealing with the referee(s). Whether you're a vocal person or not, be sure to work hard and have fun and lead by example.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

As captain, you'll probably be responsible for collecting money, ordering jerseys, organizing practices, and doing all the stuff to run the team.

A good beer league captain IMO:
- listens to his players and doesn't play favorites
- gives equal ice time to all players who pay equally
- resolves disputes behind closed doors
- praises in public and scolds in private
- has an upbeat attitude and creates a fun environment
- is honest with himself and teammates

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Cowbell232

There's a reason they picked you. Do what you have been.

Old
08-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

im the "captain" of my team but that just means i give the money to refs and rink and let everyone know when the game is

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:17 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
IMO, the number of D that is good for a game depends on the skill level of the team you're playing and how close together the games are.

For most games 4 D works well. For games against teams that are equal or lesser in skill level 3 D isn't bad. For teams that skate better than you, or for a lot of games close together (such as a tournament) 5 D works very well.

For example I just came back from a tournament where we played 4 games in 24 hours, and the teams we played skated very well. All 5 of us defenseman were very happy to have that extra man, so that every third shift you get an extra long break to rest. And you only end up playing with 2 different players (if you do the rotations right), so it's really not hard to adjust to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
There's a reason they picked you. Do what you have been.
Well said.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

My favorite lineup is 9 forwards, 5 D, and of course, a goalie.

With 4 D, you're always catching your breath, assuming you're in a competitive division. With 6, you spend too much time on the bench. 5 D gives you that extra bit of rest while keeping up the ice time. Only downside is not having a set partner.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:52 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
My favorite lineup is 9 forwards, 5 D, and of course, a goalie.

With 4 D, you're always catching your breath, assuming you're in a competitive division. With 6, you spend too much time on the bench. 5 D gives you that extra bit of rest while keeping up the ice time. Only downside is not having a set partner.
wow . we only have 11 guys on our whole team. including the goalie.

as for my advice. be fair to everyone...including yourself.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
wow . we only have 11 guys on our whole team. including the goalie.

as for my advice. be fair to everyone...including yourself.
same we have 11 guys

i like having 4 d and 6 forwards

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Amongst all the extra stuff you're doing remember to have some fun for yourself out on the ice. Also, you should take satisfaction in making things happen and keeping the team running smoothly. I know that I really enjoy having a game to play every weekend, and that it is in small part because of the efforts of our teams captain.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Joe Cole

My advice...everyone pays the same money to play. No matter how bad a player is, he deserves the EXACT same respect as your ringer.

Get all the money the night of game 1. Then you never have to talk about money again. If a player cannot attend a game, try to replace him and collect $20 from the spare. If you cannot collect the money, then the regular is out of luck, but the team is not penalized.

Remember that ever player is equal, and none of them are above the team.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote